Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Frodo wriggled contentedly and enjoyed the sensation of being half-awake in that time before dawn on First Yule. The bright light outside told him that there was snow, which made it even more perfect. Beneath the quilt Rufus purred, pushing his paws against his master's hip, while Sooty chased his own tail as though it were a strange animal. Frodo giggled quietly and prodded the bedclothes, just to see the kitten jump and pounce.

                                                                         ************

       In the master bedroom at Bag End the children bounced on their parents.

       "It's Yule!"

       "Can we open our gifts?"

       "There's salt pork for breakfast!"

       Sam groaned in mock horror and pulled the covers over his head. "Why can't you go back to bed for an hour or so?"

       "We're too 'cited!" declared Merry-lad.

       "An' hungy," added Pip.

       "Le's go see Unca Fwo!"

       "Wait - don't you go disturb-" Sam sighed, realising he was too late.

       "Weeeeee! Let's say Merry Yule to Uncle Fro."

       Shrieking and giggling, the children rushed down the corridor, leaving their father looking rueful.

       "Frodo needs his rest - they shouldn't wake him up too early."

       "He's fine," said Rose, settling back with her head on his shoulder. "You know he doesn't mind. He loves Yule himself."

       Sam chuckled. "He does that. I should have realised I have the cleverest wife in the Shire." He snaked an arm round Rose and rested his other hand lightly on her expanding bump.

       "Yes, you should," she said mildly. From the far end of the passage came whoops of glee.

       A few minutes later Frodo and the children appeared in the doorway.

       "Are you two slug-a-beds still here?" He turned to the children. "Should we allow them to stay here?"

       "No!" shouted the children.

       "Yes!" said Sam and Rose.

       Frodo gave them a fiendish grin. "I'm going to put the kettle on - "

       "You'll look daft."

       "You don't know that. I may well look very stylish wearing a kettle! As I was saying, I shall put the kettle on. If you two are still loafing in bed by the time the kettle boils I'm afraid we shall have to take drastic action. Won't we?" he addressed the children.

       "We'll drag you out," said Frodo-lad smugly.

       "That's right. You have five minutes. Then I unleash the children............." He wagged a finger.

       Sam and Rose watched the chortling group depart and flopped back. After a moment they looked at each other and both began to laugh.

       "You did say he's as bad as the little 'uns. Can't grumble though - it's wonderful to see him enjoying life again." Sam grabbed his robe.

       Rose giggled. "Come on then. Don't want them trooping back and hauling me out like Ma used to on wash-day." She took Sam's hand and they followed the sound of laughter to the warm and cheerful kitchen.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List