Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Unlikely Comfort  by shirebound

UNLIKELY COMFORT

Chapter 7 -- A Secret Shared

Aragorn allowed everyone a half-hour rest, during which time he unwound the cloths from Frodo’s chest and checked his pulse and breathing. The swelling had already gone down quite a bit, he noted with relief. He placed a fresh athelas compress on the bruise and rewound the bandage around the soft protective pads.

Frodo had been a bit frightened by the shortness of breath, but it seemed to have passed. He insisted he was fine and that they continue on. They kept to a good pace all afternoon, finally stopping amid a circle of trees just as the sun was going down.

“We may still make the borders of Lórien tomorrow,” Aragorn said, settling Frodo down on a blanket. “We’ve done well today.”

Sam and Merry bustled around pulling out food and supplies, and Aragorn pushed Frodo back down when he tried to rise to help.

“No, Frodo, not tonight. The less you move around the better.” Frodo sighed and relaxed, a bit relieved to just sit and watch for a change. After awhile his thoughts began to wander over the past few days, and an uncontrollable wave of sadness and loss started to descend on him again. He was silent during their evening meal, although he nodded his head when Sam asked if he was all right. Aragorn was concerned, but unsure what to do.

When everyone was unrolling their blankets and preparing for the night, Aragorn brought over a mug containing the herbal drink and handed it to Frodo. Frodo looked at it and sighed, putting it down on the ground. “What’s the matter, Frodo?”

Frodo looked up, an expression of great sadness on his face. “Aragorn, you knew Gandalf a very long time, did you not?”

“Yes I did.”

“Well,” Frodo said quietly, “don’t you miss him at all?”

Aragorn was astonished. “Of course I do.”

“Oh.” Frodo’s gaze dropped back down at the ground. “You just don’t seem to, that’s all.”

So that was it. Frodo needed someone to grieve with, someone who missed Gandalf as much as he did.

“Come.”

Frodo looked up at the hand Aragorn was offering him.

“Come, bring your blanket.” Frodo slowly took the Ranger’s hand and rose, uncertain what was happening. Aragorn motioned to Legolas where they were going, and then led the hobbit a short distance away from the camp and had Frodo spread his blanket at the foot of a large tree. They both sat down. Aragorn put his right arm around him and pulled him close. He could feel the hobbit’s heart racing.

“Breathe deeply, Frodo. You’ve been through much in the past few days. We all have. Just breathe deeply for a minute, in and out.” He waited until he felt Frodo relax against him. “I miss Gandalf very much. It would help me to talk about it with someone.”

“It would help me, too,” Frodo whispered.

Aragorn thought about where to begin. “I met Gandalf when I was just 25 years old, very young for my people. I was so amazed that someone like him had taken an interest in me. It made me feel very special. It helped me to be special.” He looked down at Frodo. “He took an interest in you, too, Frodo. He saw that you were special too.”

Frodo frowned. “Because of the Ring.”

“No. Gandalf took an interest in Bilbo long before he found the Ring, and he felt the same about you. I traveled far with him. We spoke of many things, and I know this to be true.” He was silent for awhile. “I’ve now traveled far with you as well, Frodo. With or without the Ring, you are a remarkable person.”

“Thank you,” said Frodo quietly.

Aragorn went on. “I undertook many deeds because he asked me to -- or simply because I believed he would want me to.” He looked down at the curly head. “Perhaps you have done the same.” He felt Frodo nod slightly against his chest. “I miss his voice and his laugh and even that ridiculous hat he wore.” Aragorn smiled just a little. “I always meant to ask him where he got that hat.”

“He was so strong, so wise. His loss is so unimaginable that I cannot even put it into words. There is so much we will never know.” Aragorn reached down and gently tilted Frodo’s head up so their eyes met. Both sets of eyes were shining with unshed tears. “But I know he was proud of you, Frodo. He was proud of me, too, I think. He believed in what we are doing.” He stopped, then added, “And he believed we could do it.”

They were silent for awhile, then Frodo took a deep breath, sat up, and wiped his eyes. “Thank you, Aragorn,” he said softly. “I believe we can do it as well.” He looked up at the Ranger and sighed. “I suppose we had better get back.”

Aragorn smiled. “I suppose we should.” He stood up, then Frodo picked up the blanket and got to his feet a bit stiffly.

“You’ll be a bit stiff and sore for a few days yet, I’m afraid,” said Aragorn. “I’m still amazed that you’re alive at all.”

Feeling better, Frodo looked up at him mischievously. “Someone else would have had to be Ringbearer, then. Maybe Pippin. By the time you reached Mount Doom you might have been tempted to destroy the Ring by throwing it in while still around his neck!”

“Hmmm. That would have been tempting. That is, if he hadn’t lost it somewhere by then.”

“He wouldn’t lose it, Aragorn,” said Frodo seriously.

“I know he wouldn’t, Frodo. I know.”

They walked back to camp, neither having been aware of the eyes staring down at them from the very tree they had chosen.

Aragorn took the blanket and spread it out, and helped Frodo to sit down near Merry and Pippin. “You don’t have to drink that,” he said, pointing to the mug, “but it will help you to sleep more deeply. As I said before, the less you move around tonight the better.”

Frodo picked up the mug and eyed the contents distastefully.

“You don’t have to worry, Frodo,” said Merry. “If there’s something you need we’ll get it for you. You won’t have to get up.”

“Thanks, Mer,” said Frodo. He held his breath and drank the herbal brew down. He looked up. “That is truly awful, Aragorn.”

The Ranger just smiled, took the mug and walked away. He shook out his bedroll and sat down. Sam and Legolas had volunteered to take the first watch, and they would wake him and Merry for the second. He was surprised to find that he felt lighter somehow. He hadn’t realized that talking with Frodo would be so healing for him as well.

The camp settled down, only faint forest noises to be heard. Frodo felt Pippin shift closer to him, a comforting hand just touching his shoulder. As the herbs took effect he began to lose consciousness…the soreness faded, sounds faded, waves of drowsiness overpowering him. Everything spinning and sinking…the faintest hiss from off in the trees… precioussss………then darkness.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List