Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ephemeros  by Tinnuial

Ephemeros

 

Ch 3: Dawn in the Valley

The new day dawned bright and fair in the tranquil valley as it had done for innumerous turns of the sun. Elrond swept gracefully down to the dining hall; the swish of his elegant robes as he descended the stone stair echoed up the corridor. Happy, animated voices could be heard coming from the hallway.

The pleasant summer days had passed swiftly by and uneventfully too. Elrond supposed he should count his blessings for as father to three lively sons, he knew that peace in the Valley, when all three were in residence, would be precarious at best. Not that he begrudged them their merriment, for such laughter had been so woefully absent in these halls for so very long.

In losing Celebrian to the sea, it seemed for a time as though he had lost his children too. Arwen’s grief had consumed her and she had taken to ever-lengthening visits with her grandparents in Lorien. He could not blame her for running away. Deep down, he would always wonder if he had not done enough and this grieved him truly. They called him Loremaster and Healer, but for all his renown, he had not been able to prevent the departure of his Silver Queen, and now lost to him also was his Evenstar.

Gone too, were the sons he once knew. Where young, lighthearted youths had been, now were there Elflords, mighty in their wrath, seeking vengeance in the depths of the Misty Mountains for the hurts visited upon their dear naneth. Across the length and breadth of Arda, the Sons of Elrond were now known by a new name …  orc-bane … for so valiant were their deeds in battle. They were celebrated as saviours of peasant villages from the rolling plains of Rohan to the ancient hills of Evendim but oh, how those bright eyes had dimmed just a little more with each vengeful crusade into the bitter wilds. All these sorrows he had buried deep, as was his way, but the light that was Imladris had never shone as vividly again.

And then one fateful day some twenty years past, the candle flame of hope had been rekindled. Laughter and music had rung out once more within these halls. Bit by bit, the pall of black sorrow had lifted. The miracle-wielder had been but a tiny silver-eyed mortal child who had guilelessly found his way into their weary hearts. Elrond had named the little one well, for he was not just Hope of Men, but also of Elves. 

The twins had doted lovingly on their new little brother with a zeal that surprised all, no less themselves. It was not uncommon during those early years to see the young lords of Imladris going about their duties with a small figure ever present trotting behind them, sat happily on broad shoulders or warmly enfolded in strong arms. Little Estel flourished under the twin’s tender watchcare and responded in kind with all the unconditional love that a child could bestow upon much beloved older brothers. Little by little, joy returned to their eyes and lightness once again quickened their steps. In Estel’s company, they became more like the lively, exuberant young elves that they once were. It was as if Life had returned to the Valley.

No, if his sons could find happiness by delighting once more in the pleasures of youth, he would not be the one to stop them.

Within reason of course.

But what’s this he was hearing now? It seemed a hunting trip was in the offing...

---

“Are you so restless that you have tired of this house already?” chided Elrond, the beginnings of a smirk gracing his features.

Four startled heads turned to face him as he swept into the dining hall.

“No, of course not, Ada!” exclaimed Estel.

“No, really, Ada, and it will be the most harmless of excursions,” began Elladan, in all innocence.

“That is not a word I usually associate with your sojourns, ion nin,” replied Elrond with a longsuffering smile. “Nor are the larders so depleted that they need refilling. As I recall, last week’s foray was quite successful.”

Elrond took his customary seat at the head of the table and poured himself a cup of hot, fragrant tea. He took a sip and looked up to see four crestfallen faces glancing at each other balefully across the table. He chuckled to himself. He knew very well that his children and Legolas were most certainly capable of taking care of themselves on a simple hunting trip. He still enjoyed teasing them every now and then though. It wasn’t as if they needed his permission to come and go! But it was nice to know that they still desired his approval.

“You see, Ada, Belthalion’s patrol has reported seeing a magnificent stag on the Eastern borders,” Elrohir explained. “We just want to see it.”

“We really won’t be gone long, Ada,” entreated Estel with a hopeful look. “There and back only. Promise.”     

Elrond smiled fondly at his youngest and shook his head with a paternal sigh.

“Forgive an old father who will ever worry after his children’s wellbeing, hmm? It is just that he has enjoyed the last few days with his family home and wishes to extend that time as much as he can. Of course you may go.”

His words were received with smiles on three faces. The fourth clouded over in thought.

“But Ada, if you do not wish it, we won’t go,” said Estel in all seriousness.

Oh bless him, thought Elrond. Little Estel may have grown up, but he had never lost his sweet, thoughtful nature.

The other three grew solemn too.

“Aye, Ada. We have enjoyed this time at home too. If you do not wish it, we will stay,” said Elrohir.

Elrond felt his heart swell just a little.

“Oh come now. As much as it warms my heart, do not let the musings of an old elf stop you from such worthy pursuit. And besides, it has been long since any of you required my leave to come and go.”

“Not so long for me, Ada,” mused Estel, with a cheeky grin.

“And had I expressed disapproval for this endeavor, you truly would have stayed without complaint, ion nin?” probed Elrond with a grin of his own.

“Uhm, yes?” came the reply, the owner of the voice colouring just a tiny bit.

The other three laughed affably, knowing quite well how Estel chafed at confinement.

“Well, I would have! Though I would also have wondered where reason had fled to!”

They all laughed at that.

“You could come with us, you know, Lord Elrond. Belthalion said the stag was truly magnificent. They counted at least sixteen points to its rack!”  said Legolas.

“Yes, Ada, we would remain within the Valley, for the most part. Why don’t you come?”

“No, it is kind of you to invite me, Legolas, but there is much work that must be done here. You young ones go off and enjoy yourselves,” smiled Elrond. "Perhaps you will bring me a trophy for my hall." 

“Well, don’t you worry about us then, Ada,” said Estel. “We’ll be quite safe.”

“Really now,” rejoined Elrond with a wry grin, one dark eyebrow rising in no little doubt. “But as you say, it is merely a simple hunting trip. I pray that it stays that way.”

 

----

A/N 1: I am not entirely sure if it is possible for a stag to have 16 points to its antlers. It seemed like a large enough number to render this stag worthy enough to merit an expedition to find it, that is, if it can still walk with its head up with so large a rack on it. Anyone out there who would know?

A/N 2: Before anyone crucifies me for portraying elves as trophy hunters... elves eat right? I don't think it's too out of character for elves to honour the animals who gave their lives by displaying their antlers in remembrance, is it?

A/N 3: Sorry this chapter was so long in coming. Between exam prep, a new job and nasty computer viruses I think it’s been a rather trying few weeks. Some reviewers have expressed concerns about the twin’s lack of maturity. I guess they did turn out a little more immature than I initially planned. But oh well. Even Elf-lords have lighthearted moments haha. Or perhaps I’m channeling my own desperate need for amusement into the story; exam prep is terrible you know.

Much thanks to all who reviewed the previous chapter. It really makes my day when I see the reviews, knowing that this little story brought a smile to someone’s face.

I've said a frightful lot. Till we meet again... Namárië

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List