Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where the Merlin Cries  by Lindelea

Chapter 21. False World, I Do Not Trust You

There was high tea in the great room of the smials at Greenholm, the eve of the Thain's and the Mayor's departure, but it was not at all a solemn occasion. Laughter rang out often, the food was festive, and the singing echoed off the cavernous roof in sweet harmony.

Mayor Sam and his Rose were relieved to see their daughters looking much the same as they'd left Tuckborough, in this case surrounded by young Greenholm farmers rather than young Tooks, but still smiling, though Rosie-lass was not at all flirtatious, not any more. She took her cue from Elanor, and the Mayor and his wife marveled at their two grown-up daughters, graciously receiving the attentions showered upon them.

Healer Verbena watched in satisfaction as Reginard stood to propose a toast to their generous hosts. Although he seemed well on the way to recovery, Pippin and Ferdi bundled him off to bed fairly early in the evening, leaving Hilly and Tolly with him to make sure he stayed there. The rest of the travellers sought their beds not long after the usual time for late supper, for morning and departure would come early.

'I must admit, it will be a relief to get back to the Smials,' Pippin said quietly as he and Ferdi were checking on the sleeping steward. 'It is nearly time for the babes' naming day.'

'And Rosamunda's babe is overdue,' Ferdi replied. 'We need to get Regi back soon, before he's in even more trouble with his wife than he is already.' He looked down at the steward and pulled the blanket up a bit more, nearly to Regi's chin, as if to forestall any chill. 'Does she know, yet, what happened?'

'I don't think so,' Pippin said. 'The dragons would guard the news quite fiercely, I think, to keep it from her. She'd know something was wrong, but since Rose Gamgee was called away, she might suspect it had something to do with the Mayor or his family.'

'I think when she sees the scars, she may begin to suspect it had something to do with her husband,' Ferdi said dryly.

'Undoubtedly,' Pippin said. He sat down in the chair next to Regi's bed with a sigh. 'I'm going to miss this chair,' he added, caressing the finely carved arm. 'We've become good friends over the past weeks.'

'Why don't you take it back to the Smials with you?' Ferdi said acidly. 'Honestly, Pip, you belong in a bed. Take yourself off, now; Regi doesn't need watchers any longer.'

'You're as much a mother hen as Regi ever was,' Pippin said.

'Cluck, cluck,' Ferdi answered. 'Now shoo.'

With a bit more nagging, he was able to get the Thain into a proper bed.

Hilly slept already, and Tolly watched by the door, as Ferdibrand settled himself for sleep. Soon the only sound was the quiet breathing of the sleepers, as Tolly watched by the dim light of the turned-down watchlamps.

***

The interpreter sat between the two kings, quickly translating the comments of each to the other. Elessar suspected that the Lion knew at least some Westron, several times catching a flicker in the dark, cold eyes when a comment was made, before the meaning was conveyed to him by the interpreter.

The food was superb, a wide range of colour and texture and taste, but the centerpiece of the feast was a richly varied stew compiled from diverse exotic ingredients.

'Many rare animals went into this stew; you shall never taste its like again,' the interpreter said, as he found the words to fit the Lion's boast.

King Elessar stirred the portion that was ladled onto his plate, looking at the many different lumps of unidentifiable meat. He speared a forkful and started to lift it to his mouth, only to find the Lion's eye upon him, evidently in keen anticipation. He put the fork down and turned to speak of something or other to Imrahil beside him, and when he turned back to his plate he did not resume eating, but sipped instead of his wine, which had been poured from the same bottle as the Lion's, and engaged the Lion in a discussion of the wildlife to be found in these regions.

Legolas was watching intently from further down the table. Now he put a hand on Gimli's arm. 'Don't eat the stew,' he warned in an undertone. 'There's something wrong with it.'

'How do you know?' the Dwarf grumbled, reaching for another piece of bread. He was careful to take only from the platters he saw their hosts take from. It became fairly obvious as the feast went on that certain platters needed steady replenishing, while others remained untouched.

The Wood Elf returned only a look. He wasn't sure how much his hosts understood of their speech, but he was not taking any chances. Many of the Men of Haragost around him seemed upright and honourable and no more enthusiastic about this feast than he was, but the king who called himself "Lion" wore a mantle of darkness, as did some of his guards, to the Elf's "other" way of seeing.

The son of the Lion sat by his father's side, neither eating nor talking, glowering with displeasure, though he did not display the same darkness as his father, in Legolas' estimation. Listening closely, the Elf heard the interpreter tell Elessar that the stew was comprised of the many exotic animals in the Prince's collection. 'He is growing too old for such pursuits,' the Lion added, 'and it is time to turn his attention to matters of governance and defence.' And conquest, the Elf added silently to himself.

Several of the Men of Haragost laid down their forks at this, with somber expressions, and only the Lion took additional servings of the much-vaunted stew, for none of the guests had tried the stew after Elessar's subtle signal.

After the guests protested that they could not manage another bite, the music and entertainment began. Men with bodies painted in colourful designs jumped and tumbled, juggled flaming brands and razor-edged knives, balanced plates atop long sticks; veiled women danced, their gossamer robes floating upon the perfumed air.

Finally, the wearisome evening was ended; the two kings agreed that their advisors would meet on the morrow to discuss their differences, and the guests and their hosts rose from the low tables, stretched, exchanged nods, and began to disperse.

On his way out, the Lion's interpreter stumbled against Legolas, grabbing at him with drunken good humour, throwing his arms about the Elf's shoulders, babbling incoherent cheerfulness. As Legolas caught him, to keep him from throwing them both to the ground, he hissed in the Elf's ear, 'Tomorrow. The river. Where the women wash.' Pushing himself away, the interpreter laughed inanely.

Legolas set him safely on his feet, patted him on the shoulder with a kindly smile and nod, and turned away.

'He's had a bit too much feasting, it seems,' the Dwarf grumbled at his side.

'Perhaps,' Legolas answered. 'He'll have a big head in the morning, I fear.'

***

Passing by the darkened laundry, a guard heard a sound and stopped. Listening closely, he walked softly into the room, shining his lantern about the baskets with their sorted contents, piled ready for the morning washing.

The soft sound came again, and he drew his razor-sharp blade and stepped softly forward. The lantern light fell upon a figure curled atop one of the piled baskets, and he relaxed and chuckled as one of the royal cats rose and stretched with a yawn.

'Are you taking a rest in your endeavours, little one?' he said, putting away his scimitar and scratching the furry guard under its chin. 'I have seen no mice this night, so you must be doing your job.'

The cat pr-r-rowed as it rubbed its chin against his hand, then jumped down and began to walk away. The guard chuckled again and continued his own rounds.

The mice stayed very still and quiet.

***

From the original notes to readers:

I am just returning from vacation (hoorah! Vacation is fun, but not getting to write daily is very wearing on the nerves).

"The Law" as used in this story is not meant to resemble any modern system of belief. In other words, I made it up, after thinking about how a society of proud warriors not recognising the beliefs of Numenor might be ordered.

Thank you for the comments!

Bookworm, I surely hope they don't get caught, as well... would really ruin my day.

Xena, yes, I enjoyed thinking out the melon-buying scene. Many of the threads in the tapestry are starting to come together.

Have written well ahead in this story, and "Flames" as well, so look forward to daily updates for the nonce, unless something happens to interrupt.

I have added a new chapter to "Flames" as well, in case you are following that story.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List