Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where the Merlin Cries  by Lindelea

Chapter 38. Pleasant Rest, Beloved Soul's Desire

The battle ebbed and flowed through the night, ruffians falling back and regrouping to assault the walls with fresh vigour. At one point, a group of ruffians fought their way to the gates, nearly undoing the heavy bars and bolts before the defenders rallied to cut them down.

More than once, Gimli saved Samwise from a ruffian's blow, and more than once the Mayor repaid the favour.

The hobbits shot from cover until they spent all their arrows, then dashed out to recover arrows that had fallen within the wall. The ruffians' arrows were longer, perhaps, but they worked the same as hobbits', if a bit awkward to launch.

Two of the cradled ships were in flames now, together with the burning buildings lending a light brighter than hundreds of torches to the battle scene. By this light, Cirdan directed his elves, and Elessar threw his guardsmen to their support wherever needed.

The young king of Haragost fought as a law unto himself, singing and slaying, bright joy on his face as he offered the lives of his enemies, a holy prayer to his Maker. The ruffians began to avoid him, edging away, blundering into the swords of elves and guardsmen in their fear of the Southron.

Shortly before dawn came a last desperate assault on the part of the ruffians, and then the battle was over as suddenly as it had begun. Eerie silence descended over the harbour, save the crackle of the flames and the sound of walls of the burning buildings beginning to fall in, the moans of the wounded, the cry of the gulls and the steady pulse of the Sea.

Swords were wiped and sheathed, bows were lowered, stumbling warriors rested from their labours, while healers began to search for life amongst the fallen. Elessar tended Pippin's bruises, for though the mithril coat had stopped an arrow or two and turned at least one blade, the force behind the blows had still done some damage.

Samwise had one arm bound up in a sling as he came up to them. 'Just a scratch,' he said, turning away Pippin's concern. Looking at the bruises that were being smeared with arnica balm, he said, 'Good thing you were wearing the mithril coat.'

'Many thanks to you, and to Frodo as well,' Pippin said. 'Wish I could thank him personally.'

'You're not the only one,' Sam said quietly.

Thankfully, the archers had escaped unscathed, as they had kept mostly to the shadows when not scrounging for arrows.

Elrohir paused before Cirdan and Elessar. 'Have you seen Elladan?' he asked. 'He was to fetch the injured halfling to safety, but I have not seen him since.'

Elessar started. 'I did not see him in the battle after the roofs were fired,' he said, his eyes sweeping the surrounding area.

'He was with Ferdibrand?' the Thain demanded, running the back of his hand across his forehead.

'He was to take him from the burning infirmary,' Elrohir said soberly. 'If he fell before he reached Ferdibrand...'

'That does not bear thinking,' Elessar said quietly. 'Let us search. Undoubtedly he bore Ferdibrand to a place of safety before returning to the fray.' They scattered, looking amongst the bodies.

It was Pippin who found them, half-buried under several ruffians. 'Elladan?' he gasped.

The mound stirred, and he heard Ferdi say, 'Pip, is that you?'

Gimli jumped to his side to help him pull away the bodies, revealing Ferdibrand still in Elladan's grasp, long knife clutched in his bandaged hand.

Ferdi raised the knife, blade wavering. 'Who is it?' he asked. 'Who's there?'

'Ferdi, it's Pippin,' the Thain answered. 'Put down the weapon before you hurt somebody.'

'Too late,' the chancellor said practically. 'I've already hurt several somebodies as it is.' He raised his head as if looking up at the son of Elrond who cradled him, even unconscious. 'Elladan,' he said. 'It's all right now.' To Pippin, he said, 'I think I can feel him breathing.'

'Elrohir! Master Cirdan!' Gimli shouted, waving his axe over his head.

The twain broke into a run at the summons, falling to their knees before Elladan. Elrohir put out a careful hand. 'He lives,' he said.

Cirdan said gravely, 'It appears, master chancellor, that he owes his life to you.'

'We're even, then,' Ferdi said, 'for I owe mine to him as well.' He took a deep breath of the smoky air. 'Is there any breakfast?' he asked.

Cirdan smiled faintly. 'I think we can arrange something,' he answered.

'Good,' Ferdi said. 'I'm famished.'

He was lifted carefully, taken to another bed in an intact building, his leg again pulled straight by rope, pulley and weight.

Leotred brought him breakfast, along with the welcome news that Elladan would likely survive his wound. Ferdi found that he could feed himself the porridge if he just pretended his eyes were closed, and soon he settled back, replete, sipping at a mug of hot, milky tea.

'Where were you in the battle?' he asked the young healer.

'We started by shooting from the rooftops,' Leotred answered.

'Good,' Ferdi said.

'Good?' Leotred was puzzled.

'Yes, you had a good vantage point. I want you to tell me everything you saw,' Ferdi said.

Halfway through the recitation, the Thain came in and silently settled himself by the bed. When he spoke, the chancellor gave a jerk.

'When did you get here?' he said irritably.

'A few moments ago,' Pippin replied.

'You might have had the courtesy to announce yourself, then,' Ferdi reproved.

Pippin nodded, remembering then that Ferdi could not see the gesture, though the eyes seemed to look directly at him. 'I will keep that in mind, in the future,' he said.

Ferdi gave a nod. 'See that you do,' he answered.

The recitation went on, but at one point, when Ferdi asked a question of Pippin, Leotred saw that the Thain had fallen asleep in his chair, and told the chancellor as much.

'Let him sleep, then,' Ferdi said. 'As a matter of fact, I think I could do with a nap, myself. Is it day, or is it night, at the moment?'

'Day,' Leotred answered.

'Convenient,' Ferdi said. 'You won't need to blow out a lamp.' He closed his eyes. 'Don't know why I even bother,' he sighed. 'Just as dark with my eyes open.'

'Ferdi...' Leotred began.

'Leave me be,' Ferdi said, and yawned. 'Don't you know you're supposed to let your patients sleep when they're tired?'

***

The hobbits took turns sitting with Ferdibrand, talking quietly or singing, or sitting in silence, a hand on his arm to reassure him that he was not alone.

One day Pippin did not come at his appointed time--Merry came instead, and Ferdi said, 'Where's the Thain?'

'Strider stuck him in a bed,' Merry answered. 'Seems he's come down with a fever.' He eased Ferdi back against the pillows, for the injured hobbit had stiffened in alarm at the news. 'Don't try to sit up; remember, your leg is still tied to the ceiling.'

'How could I forget?' Ferdi said wryly. 'A fever? I do not like the sound of that. Was he wounded in the battle?'

'No,' Merry said, 'but he has been fretting, burdened with worry for weeks and it is finally catching him up.'

Ferdi was silent, thinking, and when he finally spoke, he said, 'He hasn't sounded right, the last few times he's sat with me... is it that he cannot face the wreck I've become?'

'You think entirely too much about your own troubles, Ferdi,' Merry said sharply. 'I'd hardly call you a wreck. So you cannot see with your eyes... half the hobbits with eyes are too stupid to use them properly as it is.'

Ferdi heard Merry take a sharp breath, then say softly, as if grieved, 'I beg your pardon, Ferdi, that was unconscionable.'

'What is the matter with Pippin?' Ferdi asked.

'You're right, this is all about Pippin,' Merry admitted, and fell silent again.

'Well?' Ferdi said, and reached out a groping hand. 'Are you still there?'

Merry's hand found his shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze. 'I am here,' he said. 'But as to what is the matter... Pippin is making noises as if he's thinking of stepping down from the Thainship.'

'Stepping down? Is that possible?' Ferdi asked.

'Theoretically,' Merry said. 'Of course, with Faramir underage, it's anyone's guess as to who'd be Thain after him. Reginard's too ill, at the moment. Everard... it would be a waste to take the chief engineer from his duties, to make him Thain. You...?'

'Hah,' was all Ferdi said.

'If I am not careful I might find myself proclaimed Thain,' Merry said wryly.

'But you're not a Took!' Ferdi protested, then thought again. 'O yes... I'd forgot, you are, half Took, anyhow.' He thought a moment, then mused, 'I suppose... it would be possible to get along without a Thain at all...?'

'What do you mean?' Merry said.

'Well, the Mayor is in charge of the Message Service and the Shirriffs. The Thain is in charge of the Shiremoot. How often do we muster the hobbits of the Shire, anyhow? The King's guardsmen keep the riffraff out fairly well, nowadays.'

'The Thain does much more, and you know it,' Merry said hotly.

'I know it,' Ferdi sighed. 'I was just trying to let my poor cousin off the hook, but I'm afraid he wouldn't have the sense to swim free; he'd just lunge at the hook again, soon's it dropped into the stream. Lad has no sense of self-preservation, whatsoever.'

'He puts everyone else before himself.'

'It is what makes him a great Thain, and it is his greatest weakness, as well,' Ferdi said thoughtfully. 'But he has borne up under it all this time... what's happened?' A look of pain crossed his face. 'I've failed him, I know.'

Merry stared at Ferdibrand, open-mouthed. The other was blaming himself for being caught and nearly killed by ruffians. 'You shouldn't give yourself so much credit, Ferdi,' he replied. 'Such conceit... as if the whole Shire turns upon whether or not you are there to support the Thain.'

It was Ferdi's turn to be stunned silent, but then he surprised Merry by laughing.

'What is it?' Merry said.

'You...' Ferdi said. 'I did not think I could bear to live, as an object of pity. How refreshing, not to be pitied; to suffer insult, for that matter!'

'You're most welcome,' Merry said dryly.

***

The reinforcements had arrived from the outposts the day after the battle, and two days after that, a large body came from Fornost. Some were put to the work of helping the elves rebuild and repair what damage could be taken care of fairly quickly, while others formed scouting parties, going off in search of any surviving ruffians.

The other harbour had been spared attack. Cirdan suspected that the ruffians had massed all their numbers on the one harbour, hoping for a quick victory, after which they could have attacked the second harbour by ship as well as by land. Thankfully their plan had been knocked awry by the encounter with the Thain's survey team and subsequent events.

Quite a few skirmishes were fought in the wilds near the River Lune, and more in and around the Tower Hills, but soon the few remaining ruffians were on the run, pursued southwards by grim hunters.

Ferdi continued to eat and drink, honouring the choice that Elladan had wrung from him in the burning infirmary, though he spoke very little, his countenance sober. It was a relief to him when the bandages were removed from his healing fingers, and if they were stiff and less sensitive than they ought to be, he worked them diligently at the tasks the healers set him, stringing beads at first, tying knots, and pursuing other inconsequentialities that were aimed to lead to greater dexterity.

Despite being taken down, jostled about in the battle, and strung up again, Ferdi's leg was making satisfactory progress, at least in Elrohir's opinion, and one evening Elladan walked shakily into the room and sat down to offer his own opinion. 'Healing nicely,' he said, and Ferdi responded, 'Elladan?'

'The same,' the son of Elrond answered.

'Good to see you on your feet,' Ferdi said. 'Just a manner of speaking,' he added.

'Of course,' Elladan said gravely. 'I hear you are eating.'

'Yes, that's a common pastime amongst hobbits,' Ferdi said easily.

'Good to hear, all the same,' Elladan said, and then the twain sat in silence for a time.

As a matter of fact, Ferdi fell asleep, and the son of Elrond gently pulled up the coverlet under his chin, nodded to Merry, sitting on watch, and walked softly from the room.

That night, Fastred dreamed of Elanor, walking on the moor above Greenholm, settling amongst the wildflowers at the cry of the merlin, her head drooping sleepily against his shoulder, the soft susurrus of her breathing like the steady waves that broke upon the sand not far from the Havens. Leotred, of no wonder, dreamed in the same span of time of the other sister, and he held her hand and sang to her of hope and peace.

Frodo-lad dreamed of nothing at all, for Samwise had noticed his son's reluctance to sleep, and the way Frodo stared at the ceiling through the long nights; and he had spoken to the healers. As a result, Frodo was required to drink a strong sleeping draught before retiring... but at least he was sleeping, and no ruffians stalked his night hours.

Ferdibrand dreamed of his own lady, as they walked across the plain, hands entwined. He stopped to sweep up a handful of violets from the ground and tucked them tenderly in her hair, and they shared a kiss before walking on. For some reason, he could not feel her hand now, and as his fingers tightened, she pulled away from him, laughing. With a choked cry he reached for her, and it was a great relief to feel her fingers slip back into his hand and tighten, clinging to him. He heard her voice, soothing now, and, smelling violets, he eased again into sleep.

***

Notes from original posting

Notes to Readers:

Merlin is finished, all 46 chapters. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Will keep posting every other day until finished, then start posting a new story.

Thanks for the reviews! Very helpful, quite motivating.

Hmmmm. Ferdi really seems to be a tough guy. Blind, crippled, he can still take out the bad guys... Do I hear a movie deal in the works? Who should play him? Sly Stallone? Arno? Somehow neither really fits my mental picture of him. Did I tell you I saw him IRL, after I began writing him? Or someone who was the spitting image, anyhow. He was playing the part of Enjolas in "Les Mis" when it came to town not long ago...

Aemilia Rose, I do believe you will find the answers to your questions in the current chapter.

runaround, keep hanging in there. Find more about Elladan, below.

Aratfeniel, yes, he did choose wisely, even if he was forced into it rather rapidly. Talk about high-pressure sales...

FantasyFan, good recap. I know you are very worried about Ferdi, but remember, he has the "luck of the Tooks" going for him. And Dana did help me talk myself out of killing off "a major OC" a few weeks ago... this story might have come out very different if not for her listening ear. Your comments are very welcome. I am glad you do not think me a formulaic, predictable writer. I am afraid of gaining that reputation, the way I keep getting characters into (and out of) scrapes. But I suppose they can get a lot of credit for being tough and resourceful.

PansyChubb, thank you for the kind words. The fact that others like to read my stories, and say so, keeps the words flowing. Amazing connection. Remember that Ferdi is a hobbit very concerned with honour. If he has given his word, he will not go back on it if he can help it.

Xena, your favourite place? I am honoured, and humbled. Will try to keep living up to your expectations. (Merry has always been my favourite hobbit, but I think it is now a three-way tie between him, Pippin, and Ferdi.) Thanks for giving your reactions as the chapter progressed.

Dana, your help is paying off... Ferdi is coming through the crisis. Whew. Whatever would have happened to Elladan, had Ferdi died on the Tower Hills?

Look for a new chapter to this story, if the Internet agrees, in two days. Angst forecast: Angst seems to be easing off just a bit.

Look for the newest chapter to "Flames", in case you are following that story, on the morrow. (Flames is finished, by the way, and I find the ending very satisfying even though I hated to end it!) Thank you for your patience.

Continuing to write new material, slowly, in the new stories "Shire" and "FirstBorn". Please keep reviewing, it greases the writing wheels. (Ain't I pathetic? Say it ain't so!)






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List