Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where the Merlin Cries  by Lindelea


Chapter 46. Epilogue

Four years later...

Mayor Samwise sat back in his chair, sipping his ale. 'You have given me good reports on Fastred over the years,' he said.

'Indeed,' the Thain answered. 'He is one of my most trusted hobbits.' He shook his head. 'He is wasted in the Smials, really. I wish I could give him something he could really sink his teeth into.'

'The Westmarch?' Sam asked quietly.

Pippin was silent, sipping at his own ale, but he finally answered. 'The thought had crossed my mind. Everard is a competent administrator, but he's chafing to get back to engineering full-time. I'm afraid he'll dig out so many smials under the Tower Hills that the hills will collapse, unable to sustain the weight of the towers any longer.'

'Ah,' Sam said, sipping his own ale. Reginard rose when he saw the Mayor's glass half empty and poured more.

'Trying to ply me with spirits?' Sam said, lifting an eyebrow. 'Make me tractable to some suggestion?'

'Save us!' Pippin replied. 'If I did have a suggestion...' he let the thought go and sipped at his ale again.

'I was thinking that you might want to name Fastred to be Warden of Westmarch,' Sam said calmly. He caught Pippin unawares, and the other choked on his ale, apologising profusely as soon as he got over the coughing fit, while Regi turned his attention from slapping the Thain's back to mopping up the spill.

Getting control of himself, Pippin said, 'I cannot believe you'd suggest it! One of the reasons I offered Fastred a position here at the Smials was so that Ellie would not be taken so very far away, especially with Rosie gone to Greenholm.'

'I know,' Sam said, 'but I've talked it over with Rose, and she agrees. You have to let young folk go, eventually, make their own way. 'Twill be hard to let that fine grandson go so far away, but the Mayor's job is a travelling one, and I'm sure to get out to Undertowers fairly often. Quite a few hobbits have moved out that way, and they always seem to be having festivals to open....'

'It is a rich land,' Pippin said quietly. 'They have much to celebrate.' He fixed the Mayor with a keen eye. 'Rose agrees with this?'

'She does,' Sam said firmly.

'Very well, then,' Pippin said. 'I'll take it up with the King next week when we go to the Lake.'

'Thank you,' Sam said. 'I owe you one.'

'You don't owe me a single thing; you're doing me the favour,' Pippin returned. 'Fastred's the best hobbit for the job; Ferdi's been saying so for months, now.'

'Is that so, Ferdi?' Sam asked.

Ferdibrand sipped from his glass and turned towards the Mayor's voice. 'Of course it's so,' he said.

'Fastred will make good in the job,' Pippin added.

'Of course he will!' Ferdi maintained. 'I'm always right about these things.'

'Yes,' Pippin said. 'I do believe you have the right of it.'

'Didn't you just say that, Ferdi?' Sam asked.

Ferdi laughed and raised his glass in a toast. 'To the future,' he said.

***

Notes to Readers (from original posting -- interesting to see what stories were in progress at the time this was being written, at least, interesting to me. Where did all that writing time go?):

Thanks for the reviews! Very helpful, quite motivating.

I cannot believe it, the final chapter.

Admin Notes: This chapter in this story takes place four years after the wedding. It is an epilogue showing how the Warden of the Westmarch is finally established. Think of it as a glimpse into the future... the next story begins three years after the wedding, so if you decide to continue along this timeline with me, please don't be confused by the leap forward and then back... Speaking of the next story, it is called "Truth" and will be posted alternating with "FirstBorn", in the same way "Merlin" and "Flames" have been posted. Handy, for each of the stories to have a sequel...

O, and by the way, I am now posting new chapters simultaneously to ffnet and www.storiesofarda.com. So if ffnet has a bad day, hopefully you can still get your update of the continuing saga...

Notes to reviewers: (O such a lovely bunch of reviews, i have stuck them in a vase on the mantel and their perfume is making the Muse smile as she mutters away in the corner.)

Xena, Ferdi's toast comes from hobbit tradition (I forget which wedding in which story had it first), very handy, having something I don't have to think up new. And I never thought of it that way--the groom walking down the aisle! Funny!

Aemilia Rose, yes, the sequel is called "Truth", and it is very close to being finished. I could actually call it "finished" in chapter 17, but do want to tie up some loose ends, so there will be at least one more chapter of it, I hope.

FantasyFan, your review was very encouraging. I must admit I love hearing what you love, and even though I want to be all grown-up about constructive criticism (and I know by experience it leads to a stronger story), it still makes me blink. Glad nobody noted any problems this time.

PansyChubb, so good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about your keyboard. Hot chocolate can do that.

eiluj, thanks for the analysis of hobbit ages, I feel better about marrying Rose off so young. I was afraid I might be stretching the limits of canon, but if Lobelia married so young, then certainly Rosie-lass ought to be able to.

Dana, thank you! I love the way you can still have something to say in a review after listening to the rough draft and revisions.

Bookworm, I think in pictures, so I'm right with you.

Hai, you're most welcome. Actually in one sense there is very little left to this story (this chapter), and yet... the sequel is due to begin the day after tomorrow, ffnet allowing. If you cannot access ffnet on Monday, check for "Truth" on www.storiesofarda.com

Look for the next chapter to "FirstBorn" (sequel to "Flames"), in case you are following that story, and if ffnet agrees, on the morrow. Thank you for your patience.

***





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List