Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where the Merlin Cries  by Lindelea

The "Ent draught" mentioned in this chapter was first introduced in "At the End of His Rope".

9. I Stand with One Foot in the Grave

Sandy had ensured that a tea tray complete with cosied pot and plate of biscuits awaited them in the best parlour. Rose Gamgee took up her cup and sat down, saying to the chancellor's wife, 'Do you know what this is all about?'

Pimpernel sipped her own tea and shook her head. 'I've no idea,' she said honestly. 'Pip's usually more straightforward than this.'

Certainly, her brother had enjoyed his mischief and his pranks in his youth, but years as Thain of the Shire had steadied him. Of course, after the strain of the past anxious weeks, he might be about to break out in sheer relief. One never quite knew with Pippin. 

In the next moment, the Thain himself appeared. He waved away the offer of tea and perched on the edge of a chair, seeming ill-at-ease. Rose and Pimpernel waited, their sense of disquiet growing.

Looking intently at the Mayor's wife, the Thain said, 'I'm afraid there's bad news.'

'Sam!' she gasped, pressing one hand to her heart, but he shook his head.

'Sam's fine,' he reassured, but something in his tone warned her. Pimpernel sat forward, putting a supporting hand on Rose's.

'What, then?' she whispered.

'Ellie and Rosie-lass are safe, now,' he said slowly, to preface his remarks.

'They are safe, now,' Rose repeated carefully.

'What is it, Pip? You're frightening her,' Pimpernel reproached, her hand tightening on Rose's.

'There is no easy way to tell this,' the Thain said soberly. 'They were taken by ruffians, Rose,' he added, 'but they are safe now.' He emphasised the last word as Rose clung to Pimpernel in grief and horror.

'What did...' she whispered. 'What did they do to my daughters?'

The Thain held up a calming hand. 'So far as I know, they were... untouched,' he answered. 'Rosie escaped with Regi's help fairly soon after they were taken, and the guardsmen rescued Elanor not long after.' He took a folded paper from his belt and held it out. 'Sam writes to you to come.'

Rose took the paper mechanically, opened it, read the few lines. She rose abruptly.

'Leave the rest of the children here, they'll be safe enough,' Pippin added, rising from his own chair. Looking at his sister, he said, 'It's not a good idea to be found too close to the Bounds at present.'

'Buckland?' Pimpernel said.

Her brother nodded. 'I've already sent messengers in all directions, and a pony post rider ought to be well on the way to Buckland by now.' His face was set in grim lines. 'Evidently the ruffians are hunting hobbit lasses and children, for bounty.'

Pimpernel gasped with horror, as Rose gave a sob. 'How soon can you be ready to go?' Pippin asked the Mayor's wife. 'I'll be sending you with a full escort.'

'You're not going?' Pimpernel asked. Understandable, she supposed, considering how close he'd come to losing Diamond... and now the birth of twin sons to celebrate.

'I'm leaving now,' Pippin answered. He hesitated, then said, 'Do not tell Rosamunda, but I've been called to take my leave of Reginard.'

'No!' Pimpernel said softly, greatly pained, and Rose sobbed again.

Reading the question in his sister's eyes, he said, 'All is well with Ferdi, Nell.'

She nodded, rose to give him a hug. 'I'll stay with Rosamunda,' she said.

'Don't tell her about her husband,' Pippin warned. 'There is no way she can go to him, and in her condition...'

'It would not be good for her, or the babe, to upset her over something she has no power to change. I'll watch with her,' Pimpernel repeated. 'Give my best to my husband... and to Regi.'

Rose wiped her eyes and raised her chin. 'I'll be ready to depart within the hour,' she said defiantly. 'You can tell my Sam that I'm on the way.'

'Very well, Rose,' Pippin answered, and turning on his heel, he left the parlour.

The Thain's escort was ready, waiting in the torch-lit courtyard before the Smials. Pippin mounted his pony, only to be arrested by a shout from the entrance.

Out of breath, Healer Woodruff panted her way to the Thain. She held up a stoppered flask. 'Here,' she gasped. 'I just thought of this. It helped when you were dying, after all, and if there's naught else to be done, well, what can be the harm?'

'The Ent draught?' Pippin asked as he took the precious container.

'Aye,' she said, her breath coming a bit easier. 'It's the last of it, too, so make good use of it.' She stepped back from the pony. 'Grace go with you,' she said, 'and give my best to the steward.'

'I will,' Pippin said, then gave the signal. The Thain, his escort, and Fastred of Greenholm pounded out of the courtyard, on their way to the Far Downs.

***

'Rosie,' Elanor said softly. 'Rosie, you must take something.' When there was no response, her tone sharpened. 'Rosie!'

A gentle hand covered her own, and she turned to see Leotred. 'She's lost,' he said. 'She's gone deep inside, where naught can touch her. She's safe, for the nonce, or at least, she feels safe.'

Sitting down beside the silent figure, Fastred's brother placed one arm around Rosie's shoulders, lifting a cup to her lips with his other hand. 'Come, lassie,' he coaxed, 'Surely your lips are that dry, you must want to wet your tongue, just a little bit?' Much of the water dribbled down Rose's chin, but Elanor was encouraged to see that she swallowed some.

More softly, she said, 'Mum's coming, Rosie-lass, she'll be here soon.'

Mayor Samwise entered the room, then, to sit down on his silent daughter's other side. He took up her hand, but she snatched it away, hugging herself, curling into a protective ball, burying her face in her knees. 'Rosie,' he said, grieved.

'She doesn't know you,' Leotred said.

'She doesn't know anyone,' the Mayor answered soberly. 'Rosie,' he coaxed. 'Rosie-lass, come back to us.' ...but there was no response, not even a whimper.

The Mayor looked to Elanor then. 'How are you keeping, Ellie?' he asked her.

'I am well,' she answered mechanically, her hands twisting the handkerchief that she had not loosed since Fastred had pressed it into her hands after the guardsmen brought her back to the clearing, where Reginard...

Sam nodded sadly, rising to give her a hug. Despite herself she stiffened, rejecting the embrace, and he slowly withdrew his arms, to say only, 'I'm here, lass.'

'I know, Father,' she said carefully, and then the tears started again.

***

Ferdibrand jerked awake, realising he'd slept, looking with dread to the steward, but Reginard still breathed somehow, and Ferdi was able to keep on breathing himself when he saw.

He squeezed the hand he held. 'Hold on, Regi,' he said. 'Pip's coming, and I know he wants to see you.'

The eyes half-opened, and the lips moved. The voice might have breathed the name, though it was too soft to more than guess at. 'That's right,' Ferdi said. 'The message went off teatime yesterday, so he's on his way here, even now.'

The eyes closed again, but the shallow breaths continued. Ferdi didn't know how they'd gone on this long, but Regi'd always been a stubborn one, with a great sense of duty. The right and proper thing to do would be to wait to take his leave of the Thain, after being his steward all this time. Ferdi had the feeling that Regi would keep holding on by sheer determination, until Pippin came.

***

Notes from the original posting of this story:

Note to readers:

Bookworm, glad I made you think. What is that old quote? "In death we are in the middle of life..." or was it the other way around?

FantasyFan, yes, I do believe you are the first to guess about the chapter titles, and yes, you are definitely warm. Very warm. Heading in the right direction, they are all JS Bach pieces. Can you be a little more specific? As to your other comments... *These* ruffians are gone, anyhow. Things do look very bad for Regi, indeed, but I liked your summation of his life... "A good life, and very few regrets..." would that we could all say the same when the end comes. As for strong ladies of the Shire, you are soon to be introduced to yet another. I am growing very fond of her already, though you will not get to meet her until chapter 12.

Pansy, I study up on geography of the places I'm taking my hobbits, and where facts fail... I make it up (shhhh, don't tell anyone). Many thanks are due to Llinos, who lives in the "Shire" part of Britain and has patiently answered many questions when she probably had better things to do. "Fast" Fastred, eh? As a matter of fact, I think his name means something like "firm word" since "fast" means "firm" and "red" means word, advice, or counsel. Did some research to come up with his brother's name, which means, appropriately "gentle word".

Aemilia Rose, sorry, posting a chapter a day sometimes it is hard to avoid cliffhangers. Just be glad it is not a chapter a week! (me too, the reviews motivate me to write and if I posted once a week I doubt I'd get very much motivation in my mailbox). I'm sorry this chapter does not resolve issues with Regi, you will have to wait until the next chapter. Or ask Dana. Perhaps she'll tell you. No, I forgot, she wouldn't tell her own mother what's for tea if she thought she didn't need to know... (is that right, Dana?)

Xena, thank you for your comments. These were difficult chapters to write, but I apparently did something right, from what you said.
 
All that said (and Thank You for all the lovely reviews. The Muse was in quite a good mood today and added stuff to the story I hadn't anticipated...), here is today's installment. Comments, as always, are very welcome. Hope to catch you tomorrow! (p.s. Am also adding a new chapter to "Flames" today, in case you were following that story as well.)


 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List