Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 24: The Steward’s Son

Frodo and Sam looked up warily at the men who surrounded them. They took comfort in the fact that the arrows were not pointed at them, but outward toward the surrounding wood and it was as though the hobbits stood within a protective circle. A man came then into the circle and threw back his hood as he stopped in front of them. “We meet again, Frodo Baggins.”

“Captain Faramir!” Sam cried happily.

Faramir smiled tiredly and nodded a greeting to him, then turned back to Frodo. He was surprised by how haggard and haunted the hobbit looked, even more beleagured than last time when Faramir had had a vision of what Frodo would look like if the Ring took complete hold of him. It came again now, but Faramir vowed to himself it would not come to that if he and his men could help it.

“We have not come to hinder you,” he assured Frodo, “as we know well which Quest you are on, but I will warn you that all paths to Mordor are being carefully watched and very well guarded. You will not find it easy to get through.”

Frodo looked steadily at Faramir, but strangely the captain thought, somewhat brittle or fragilely, as though he was holding himself together only through sheer force of will. A brief glimpse up at Sam whose eyes were fixed on his master made Faramir wonder if it was not just Frodo’s own will that was keeping him on his feet.

“I thank you for your warning,” the Ring-bearer said, breaking into Faramir’s thoughts, “but that did not deter us last time and it will not this time.”

Faramir sighed, more from exhaustion than anything. “It’s much worse this time. My men and I have had little rest the last few days. Orcs are infesting these woods and we’ve had to fight through many just to get here. But we have come to help you if you will have us. You will need strength of arms to fight through all the enemies that are arrayed against you. Sauron is not trusting just to the terror that lives in the tunnel to stop you. Since it did not last time, he is throwing more of his might against you, so fearful he is of you. I hope you will accept our help and that my brother will not have died in vain or that the dead will be the lucky ones.”

The hobbit’s tortured features relaxed into a smile for a moment. “I am most happy to tell you that Boromir lives, Faramir,” Frodo said and the Ranger was glad to see the smile on the little one’s face.

Hope and joy suffused his own features, nearly making them alight. “Alive?”

“And hopefully still well. He led the chase to rescue my cousins from a band of orcs.”

“Alive,” Faramir repeated softly in wonder, almost to himself. “Then my dream was true.”

He looked down at the hobbit who waited patiently while the man absorbed the news. “I had a dream the other night that he was, but I feared to believe it, thinking it only the dearest wish of my heart that made it, not the truth it was really showing me.” He knelt and embraced Frodo. “Oh, thank you, Frodo, for this great gift!”

The Ring-bearer smiled wider and returned the embrace. “I hope he lives still to allow you a joyous reunion.”

“And I wish you the same with your cousins.”

Frodo’s features clouded a bit. “I have more hope for you, my friend, than myself. But more hope now that you are with me. I thank you for your sacrifice and that of your men, though I have no wish to be the cause of your deaths.”

Faramir smiled slightly as let his little friend go. “You will not be the cause of them in any case. It is Sauron and his terror of you that would be if anything. We all do this for you, for our people and our King. Some will die, but better here than some fool’s quest later.”

Faramir’s voice grew pained and Frodo wondered about it, but that man didn’t speak of it further. Frodo bowed his head. “I thank you again.”

Faramir’s smile returned and he signaled his men to follow as he walked with Frodo and Sam in the lead. “My men trust me to lead them and you will not find braver beings,” he said, then smiled again and glanced at his new companions. “Outside of a couple hobbits I know that is.”

Frodo smiled back. “There are none braver than my Sam,” he said.

“Or my Frodo,” the gardener returned, a step behind his master.

Faramir laughed softly. “Shall we call it a tie then?”

“No, he’s braver,” both hobbits said at the same time and Faramir laughed louder and those of the men close enough to hear smiled.

The gardener moved closer to his master as Faramir walked slightly ahead. “Did you hear what Captain Faramir said?” he said quietly but excitedly. “That Sauron was afraid of you?”

“I heard, Sam,” Frodo said in a voice that was almost dead.

Sam’s heart ached to hear that the momentary cheer in his beloved master’s voice had already faded. “Well, what do you think of that? He’s got all this power and he’s afraid of a hobbit! Imagine that!”

“I’m afraid of myself, too, Sam,” Frodo replied and moved a little ahead to catch up to Faramir. He was so anxious just to get this over with. Sam watched his back worriedly.

“Do you remember the way?” Faramir asked Frodo after they had walked a bit in silence. “As I’m sure you noticed, your guide has disappeared again.”

Frodo looked around. “Smeagol?” he called, but received no answer.

“My men will look for him,” Faramir said and signaled to four of his men who broke off from the main group.

“Don’t let him be harmed,” Frodo said anxiously, fear bright in his eyes. “He goes off often on his own, to find his own food. He is not a threat to anyone.”

“You need not be afraid of that,” the captain said. “He will be brought back so he can be watched.” He looked directly at the hobbit. “Don’t trust him, Frodo. He can only offer deceit and betrayal. He’s been corrupted by the Ring for too long to be capable of anything else.”

Frodo stared up at the man. “You trust me, don’t you, Faramir?”

The Ranger looked down at his friend in surprise. “Of course I do.”

Frodo looked away and stared straight ahead. “Perhaps you shouldn’t. Smeagol and I are parts of the same whole when it comes to the Ring. He’s merely been corrupted by it longer than I have, but he is capable of honorable things, I know he is, just as I am capable of betrayal.”

Faramir looked at him. “I don’t think you are,” he said.

“I was last time. I could very well be this time. Please, Faramir, do not speak so sure of things you do not know and be very grateful you do not know.”

Sam frowned as he listened to his master’s words. He wished for the millionth time there was some way he could comfort the doubts and fears of his dearest friend.

Faramir would not be put off. “I think I do know. My father believes I betrayed him and Gondor for abandoning Osgiliath the last time. He thinks I’ve betrayed him in little ways and in big my entire life. Perhaps I have or perhaps it’s just his belief and not the truth.” He stopped forward a little to leave Frodo room to think of what he said and to give himself room. What had caused him to speak of such private pain, something he had only previously spoken of to his brother and so long ago, to his mother? Sam looked at his back gratefully, thanking him silently. Perhaps his words would reach Frodo.

Sam watched his master’s back for a long while, wanting to give him time and space alone to hopefully ponder the Ranger’s words. Frodo walked with a stoop, staring down at the ground. He quietly celebrated each step he took as it brought him closer to Mordor and the end of his task. He silently grieved for the same thing. Sam came up and took his friend’s hand and held it until they stopped for the night. It was cold when Sam first took it, but it warmed as he held it and that warmth reached into Frodo’s heart and soul as well.

“Thank you, Sam,” he said as Sam at last let go when they stopped to eat a cold meal with Faramir and his men, before laying down to sleep.

“You’re welcome, me dear,” Sam said with a smile. He watched to make sure Frodo ate and drank enough to satisfy him, then when they were ready to sleep, he said, “Now get yourself to sleep. I’m not going to rest until you do.”

Frodo smiled faintly. “Then good night, Sam,” he said and rolling up in his cloak, closed his eyes.He didn’t think he would sleep. The Ring was only getting louder. He only closed his eyes so Sam would fall asleep himself and stop worrying about him for a moment, but he underestimated his own overwhelming fatigue and was soon asleep. Sam smiled as his master’s breathing and features relaxed a little. He leaned over to kiss his head. “Sleep well, dear,” he said softly and then with an arm protectively around his beloved friend, he closed his own eyes and slept easily.

It seemed only a moment later when they both wakened again when there was a huge disturbance in the camp. Frodo woke and stared blearily out into the night, feeling little more rested than he had several hours earlier.

“Master! Master!” cried a voice in the darkness.

Frodo squinted and sat up on his elbows. “I’m here, Smeagol,” he called. “Master is here.”

Smeagol came into view then, straining against the rope that was held tightly around his emaciated waist. He reached out his hands beseechingly to Frodo.

“Let him go!” the hobbit cried. He looked at Faramir. “You said he wouldn’t be harmed!”

The Ranger looked at his Captain. Faramir looked at Frodo.

“Please,” Frodo begged.

Faramir looked a moment more at Frodo, then back to his man and nodded slowly.

Smeagol rushed to Frodo’s side the moment he was released. “We weres just looking for something to eats,” he explained in a rush. “We weren’ts running away. Too many orcses around.”’

“You probably led them here too, with all your ruckus,” Sam accused.

Smeagol turned to him. “Not! Smeagol hates nasty orcses even more than nasty fat hobbits.”

Frodo almost smiled as Sam grimaced. “Well, you better not have,” the gardener said and laid back down.

“Stay with me, Smeagol,” Frodo said. “You’ll be safe if you stay at Master’s side.”

Smeagol turned back to his master and scuttled closer to him. Frodo put his arm around his lean shoulders.

Faramir watched the whole exchange thoughtfully. “We’ll have to move on, I’m afraid,” he told Frodo. “Our camp is still a day’s march away. We can replenish our supplies and get some real rest there before we continue on.” He looked at Smeagol. “If we haven’t already alerted every orc within this whole area, I’d be much surprised.”

Smeagol leaned closer to Frodo and stared defiantly at the captain from the safety of his master’s side. Faramir grunted, then moved away, signaling his men to move on.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List