Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 36: Another Chapter for Sam

Sam felt a gentle pressure on his shoulder, holding him down and watched his adversary be impaled on a blue-tinged sword. He began to breathe again and looked behind him. “Thank you, dear!”

Frodo smiled. “My pleasure, Sam,” he said as he pulled Sting from the orc corpse. He helped Sam stand and picked up his friend’s sword. “You’ll still be needing this,” he said as he handed the sword to him, then moved to dispatch another opponent.

“I don’t mean to sound ungrateful,” Sam said as he thrust his sword into another orc, “but you’re supposed to be sleeping.”

Sting found its mark again before Frodo replied. “I was until you started making so much noise.”

Sam watched the Ring-bearer for a moment. Frodo was still tired, but a renewed determination lit a fire deep within him and it shone in his eyes as he continued to fight the deepening shadows within and without. Sam was heartened to see it. And glad beyond words that his master could tease him at such a time. He moved to protect Frodo’s back as Frodo protected his. It was not much longer before it was all over.

Faramir checked on his men. Four had died. One was still conscious, but dying and three more were injured. How the Ranger hated to leave the dead where they fell in such a vile place, but he could think of no way to safely get them out. Faramir stayed with the dying man until the soldier breathed his last. He murmured a blessing Mithrandir had taught him long ago, then closed the dead man’s eyes. He moved to the other four dead and did the same, then checked on the injured. One man was holding his sword arm which bled freely from more than one jab, but their others were less injured. The Ranger captain bandaged the bleeding man and then moved to Sam and Frodo.

“Well done,” he said with a tired smile, looking at the small pile of corpses the two hobbits had made around them.

“Thank you, Captain,” Sam said and Faramir nodded.

He looked at Frodo. “I’m glad you look a little more rested, because I doubt there will be much time to sleep for some time.”

The two hobbits looked at him, feeling almost as tired and bruised as Faramir looked and felt, but his words and presence strengthened them, and though they didn’t know it, their presence and courage strengthened him. They were so close now to their goal. So many of his men had died, but Faramir still hoped their deaths would have more purpose than they had had before.

“Come on,” he said and Frodo and Sam and his remaining men left the battleground and awaited their next one.

Frodo looked at Sam and smiled, his heart lighter than it had been for some time. “Another chapter in that story of ours, huh, Sam?”

“And we haven’t even come to the most exciting part yet,” Sam said.

“You mean all this hasn’t been exciting enough for you already?”

“Oh, it has been,” the gardener assured, “no doubt about it. But no, the most exciting part will be when you destroy the Ring and we can all go home.”

Frodo’s smile faded somewhat. “I hope it will be come out that way, Sam,” he said quietly. Then he forced back his encroaching doubts and fears and smiled again. “I will do my best to have the desired outcome.”

“I know you will, me dear,” Sam said quietly, knowing how his brother struggled against the Ring’s domination. “I know you will.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List