Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 49: The Care and Feeding of Hobbits

The huge hall was full of celebrating people. Soldiers were merry, even those with arms wrapped in slings or bandages around head, hand or leg. Women laughed, dressed in their finest. Even the recent widows were less burdened with their grief tonight. Children squealed and ran about the room, between table after table groaning with food, ale and all sorts of delicacies. It was a madhouse, a very happy madhouse. Merry and Pippin were seated at the head table looking at the array with a hungry gleam. A little cream around the tween’s lips belied the fact he had already sampled some of them. Both were dressed in their official military uniforms. Merry sat next to his cousin and Pippin seated to the right of the empty seat reserved for the queen. Aragorn had insisted that Frodo take the one to his right and Sam was to his right. Both hobbits sat nervously, neither believing themselves worthy of any honor. The former Ring-bearer stoically endured the curious stares and returned properly the bows and graciously thanked any who came up to thank him. Sam’s face flushed with embarrassment each time words were directed his way. He wished they would all go away, not only for his sake, but more for his brother’s since he was very aware how brittle Frodo’s control over himself was and how fervently he wished the whole thing just to be over with.

At last the king and queen entered and the celebration proper began. Frodo breathed a small sigh of relief. At last the people would have the distraction of food instead of coming up to them all the time. Sam sighed beside him and they exchanged a small smile at that. Aragorn and Arwen smiled at them as they sat down and the hobbits smiled back. They were both served a small plate of meat and mashed vegetables and a mug of peppermint tea. From below them at a near table, Gimli raised his ale glass and Legolas, Faramir and Boromir smiled warmly. Frodo returned the smiles. At least with them they didn’t have to be forced.

Merry and Pippin were already having a grand time, downing their much larger servings and their ale with gusto, but the eldest hobbit looked down at his plate in dismay. He held his maimed hand under the table and tried to work up his much diminished appetite so such a marvelous feast would not be spoiled. Sam cut the meat on his own plate and casually switched it with his brother’s. Frodo looked up at him gratefully and began to pick at his food. Once Sam had cut his meat, he took his friend’s hidden hand in his. It gave Frodo immense comfort to know that his beloved guardian was still so near, still watching over him, already knowing what he most needed without him needing to say a word. He relaxed some then, concentrating just on that hand in his and ignoring the hubbub around him and so was able to eat and drink with greater enjoyment.

Aragorn was pleased to see that as well and engaged Frodo in conversation about many things, none of them the least connected with the War or the Ring. It helped the hobbit relax even more and he laughed a few times which the others were very glad to hear. He ate well, but when desert was served, a huge confection in the shape of a white swan, Frodo only stared at the sliver that was set in front of him.

"I’ll take it if you don’t want it, cousin," Pippin said when he noticed that it hadn’t been touched. He eyed the piece hungrily, having already devoured his own larger slice. Frodo looked up between the two empty chairs between them and laughed at how the tween had his fork already raised to pounce.

"I’m sure you would," he said. "Well, it shouldn’t go to waste."

Pippin’s and Sam’s heart leapt to hear Frodo laugh, but the frown that so often marred that beautiful face soon replaced it like clouds that moved in to blot the sun and leech the color from the world. Frodo got up and put the large piece of cake in front of his cousin. He smiled faintly and kissed his cousin’s head. "It’s all yours, dearest ’squeak. I don’t want to be the one to come between you and your stomach. All this has made me quite tired and I think I will let you younger ones enjoy the party while I go to our room. Good night."

Pippin returned the smile and drew his beloved cousin into a fierce hug. "Good night, cousin," he murmured. He hold on for an extra long time, while Frodo held him just as tightly, then Pippin kissed his head and broke away.

The elder hobbit turned to leave, but looked back when he heard a loud indignant squawk from the tween who found that Merry had stolen his second desert. The squire of Rohan had been caught in the act of licking his lips free of the evidence of the theft and the high voice of the Guard of the Citadel could be heard bemoaning his loss and berating his cousin. Frodo watched them fondly, wistfully, glad they could so easily return to their cheerful natures and sad that he could not. Merry and Pippin looked up to see that. Sam nodded to their looks of concern as he began to steer his brother away and they nodded back, understanding that their cousin needed a little breathing room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List