Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Just Desserts  by Lindelea


Chapter 22. Of a Heart, Speaking in the Silence

The Houses of Healing, when you enter from the bustling streets of the City, seem hushed, quiet, almost secretive. People speak in low tones, and the healers and their assistants wear soft soles that whisper against the stone floors as they go. The echo of boots sounds overloud, and a visiting guardsman, for all his boldness in battle, will find himself making the effort to walk softly. And yet at night, there is always a rustle of movement, quiet talk, some sort of sound. This place is never so quiet as a tomb, though many would describe it in just such terms.

Even in the depths of the night there is indication of life. Seledrith, sitting at Gwillam's side, heard low moans from the room across the hallway which made the King raise his head, and a bustle in the hallway shortly after, and Elessar relaxed somewhat and went back to his listening stance. Just what he listened for, Seledrith was afraid to ask. Gwillam gave no indication of awareness, or even life, if you discounted the breaths that whistled in and out again. After the athelas-steeped cloths had cooled, the King had renewed the application and left the cloths spread over Gwillam's throat and jaw to cool again, and when ice had arrived, he'd packed the ice on top of the cooled cloths. It made Seledrith shiver to think of such cold against the flesh.

'Here, love, you ought to sleep,' Eliniel said, laying a blanket over Seledrith's shoulders.

She shook her head, looking up at her mother and forcing a smile. 'Little Robin will likely be wakening soon,' she said. 'I'd just be getting to sleep, only to wake. Why don't you lie yourself down, Mother? I promise, as soon as little Robin's satisfied, I'll take some rest.'

Turambor was snoring softly on one of the cots that had been set up to one side; it was common practice, when someone was brought in to the Houses of Healing, for a family member to sleep in the room and help with the necessary care. It was a bit of a squeeze, to fit three cots, but the healers' assistants had managed.

'If you're sure...' Eliniel said. It took a little more persuasion, but finally the greengrocer's wife laid herself down with a sigh, pulled a soft blanket over, and soon slept.

Old Gwill slept, one of the hobbits still sitting beside him--the Prince of Halflings? Yes, it was he, Seledrith thought, the one who had pleaded for Robin's life. No, pleaded would not be the right word. Demanded, that was a better word. If only he might have done the same for Gwillam. The hobbit was dozing in the chair next to Gwill's bed, though his small hand held Gwill's in a firm grip, evidently a custom among the hobbits when one of their own was ill or injured. The other hobbit had left the room some time ago and not returned. Rob was curled on top of the bedcovers on the bed beside his father, and someone had thrown a blanket over the youth.

The King had remained crouched over Gwillam, a hand on Gwillam's forehead, for several hours now, occasionally calling his name... "Will", that is. But now he straightened, and then bent closer, and very softly said, 'Gwillam?'

As if wakened by the sound, baby Robin stirred with the small gasping noise that meant he'd soon be calling for mother and feeding, but Seledrith headed him off by picking him up and cuddling him close, with a glance to the King.

Elessar never looked up; he was tense with concentration. Seledrith could only hope it meant good news. She carried the babe to the doorway and stood hesitating, but a hovering assistant swooped upon her at once, and it was not long before baby Robin was dry and snuggled once more in clean wrappings, and Seledrith settled again beside her husband to feed their son, with a shawl thrown over for courtesy's sake.

And yet the King never stirred, nor did anyone else in the room, as the assistant settled Seledrith and her son, placing a cup and pitcher close at hand, reminding Seledrith that she needed to drink in plenty, and promising to bring a meal along soon, for if she was not mistaken, Seledrith had not eaten the day meal, or had she?

The young mother shook her head. None of them had eaten, not even the two hobbits, which was surprising from the little she knew of that folk.

The assistant withdrew, and little Robin's whimpers faded as he latched on, and soon he was nursing, and most enthusiastically, with loud smacking noises.

'Gwillam,' the King murmured once more, and then he seemed to waken as if from a dream, and looking up at an especially noisy smack he smiled, and Seledrith coloured prettily and ducked her head.

'He's a good eater,' she said, feeling foolish, and the King nodded, still smiling, and rose.

'I have some business that I must take care of,' he said softly. 'Your husband's breathing has improved much.' He did not say that her husband was out of danger, for that would have been premature. But he had hopes, and Seledrith found comfort in his smile. 'There is an assistant just outside the door, who will be listening for your call, if anything is needed.'

'Yes, my Lord,' Seledrith said, nearly adding that she knew about the assistant, but not sure if such a comment might be construed as impertinent. 'Thank you.'

And so the King took himself off, walking as softly as a hunter, and the only noise in the room was the soft breathing of the sleepers, and the sound of the feeding baby.

At last, having emptied both his mother's breasts, little Robin was satisfied, lying warm and soft against Seledrith's shoulder while any stray air bubbles were rubbed away. She laid the babe in her lap, staring into the wide eyes that met hers.

'Son of a law-breaker,' she whispered. 'And I am the wife of one. What is to become of us?'

Gwillam stirred on the bed, the first movement he'd shown, but the others in the room seemed to be deep in sleep.

Seledrith leaned forward a little. 'Why didn't you tell me?' she said. 'Why did you let me think...?' Her voice broke, and she cleared her throat impatiently. 'Your father is a law-breaker, just as you are... not just the son of a law-breaker, but you broke the King's edict yourself, when you were old enough to know...'

She stared at Gwillam's bruised face, the blackened eye--had the guardsmen beaten him, then, after they marched him away? 'Who are you, really?' she whispered. 'I thought I knew you... but now... How am I to trust you, ever again?'

And she began to sob, stifling the sound as best she could, and baby Robin made a soft baby sound as he stared with wondering eyes, and Seledrith hugged the baby close and closed her eyes, and did not see the hobbit, the Halfling Prince, raise his head from his chest and regard her with thoughtful gaze.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List