Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Just Desserts  by Lindelea


Chapter 34. A Token of Gratitude

 As if the refurbishing of the little linen shop had not been enough, the previous day, this morning quite a stir rippled the marketplace. The Queen was walking the market! The visiting hobbits, too, were there, parents and children together, resplendant in their finest, and it wasn't even the first day of the week!

Nor was it Arwen's usual day, for certain, but she was walking the market, smelling the flowers at the flower vendors', accepting a paper full of sugar-crusted nuts, hot enough to sting the fingers, considering a pipe intricately carved to resemble the bearded face of a dwarf.

A guard had been stationed by the door of the linen shop on the previous evening, relieved with the morning light, and the queen went over to speak with the current guardsman.

'The auction will be this day!' rippled the rumour through the marketplace. A number of tradesmen fingered the coins in the pockets that hung from their belts, wondering if there would be enough to save the most important possessions of the family.

Arwen nodded, the guard snapped to attention and saluted, and the Queen took her leave, moving to the tailor's shop and bringing out a glove that needed repair. 'The stitching is a delicate matter,' she said.

The tailor was momentarily distracted as a wain drew up before the little linen shop across the way and workmen jumped out, bringing the wardrobes and chests that had been taken away the previous day, and the mattresses to the freshly waxed-and-polished bedsteads that had been carried in again just before the sun had sought her rest, along with the other furnishings, once the chimney-sweeping and floor scrubbing and whitewashing had been completed.

The windows sparkled in the morning sun, and bright and clean were the mattress covers. Likely stuffed with fresh straw, thought the tailor to himself... and he was correct. 'Very delicate,' he agreed. 'I'll do my best...' Though Seledrith would have done better, he thought. 'When would you want this, my Lady?'

'Next week will be soon enough,' Arwen said with a smile. 'I'll call for the glove on my regular day.' She gave a sweet and tinkling laugh, as if it were a great joke that she should walk the market on this day of all days, and the tailor smiled despite his gloomy thoughts.

In the meantime the street before the Houses of Healing was a-bustle with activity. Haleth and his men, once again polished to a high gleam, stood at attention. They would be escorting Jack, Will and Rob this day, but in a very different manner than the last time.

Bergil stood holding the bridles of the two finest war-horses belonging to the King of Gondor and Arnor, and these were groomed to a glossy finish, their hoofs freshly blacked and shining, wearing their finest gear studded with silver and jewels, such as was seldom seen save on the highest and most festive occasions, Ring Day, perhaps, or the celebration of the New Year. Arwen's own hands had early that morning braided their manes with sparkling diamonds in settings of mithril-silver, and they were a fine and brave sight indeed.

Old Gwill walked out of the Houses of Healing on the arm of the King, but he stopped at the threshold, quite overcome at the grandeur confronting him. 'My... my goodness,' he quavered.

'Are you well, dear Father?' Seledrith said beside him, releasing Gwillam's arm to turn to the old man.

Gwill shook himself visibly and smiled at his sons, for Robin stood just beyond Gwillam, and at his daughter in law, who'd taken his hand and was peering intently into his face. 'I am an old fool, but you already knew that,' he said, standing straighter.

Seledrith kissed him on the cheek. 'You are an old dear,' she said, 'nothing more... and nothing less.'

'I beg to differ!' Denny said from behind them, Merileth on his arm. 'A great deal more, I'd say!'

Gwillam said nothing, but he turned to give Denny a grateful look. He was under strict orders to hold his tongue, but it didn't seem to matter, so long as Denny was his shadow, voicing whatever needed to be said.

Elessar frowned. 'The wind is somewhat brisk this morning,' he said, and in the next moment he had unclasped his cloak and was drawing it around the old man's shoulders!

'My... my Lord, I...' Gwill said, for the second time uncharacteristically fumbling for words.

'We cannot have you taking a chill,' Seledrith said firmly, with an approving look. She had lost her fear of Elessar, if not her awe, and found him eminently sensible as well as merciful and just. 'And you, Gwillam, are you warm enough?' she added.

Gwillam smiled and nodded, but Haldoron stepped up to them, removing his own cloak, and when Gwillam opened his mouth to protest, the Steward raised a warning finger. 'Not a word,' he said sternly.

Gwillam gulped, and soon found himself enveloped in Haldoron's fine cloak, with the fur that lined the neck tucked closely around his throat, though not uncomfortably snug, and the deed had been done gently indeed.

With the King's assistance, Gwill mounted one of the shining horses, and then Elessar directed Gwillam and Robin to ride together on the other horse, and so they mounted, Robin behind his older brother, his arms clasped firmly about Gwillam's waist.

Turambor, bearing baby Robin, stepped up to Seledrith's side, and Eliniel to her other side. 'Isn't this fine?' Eliniel said in an undertone. 'Have you ever seen the like?'

'The Coronation might have been finer,' Seledrith whispered, though she had been very young at the time, 'or the King's wedding, perhaps, but...' She shook her head, and tears came to her eyes as the silver trumpeters at the head of the file raised their instruments to their lips and blew a fanfare. 'No,' she said decidedly. 'I've never seen the like.'

Elessar led Gwill's mount, and Haldoron led Gwillam and Robin's, and the trumpeters preceded them, blowing fanfares, and Bergil marched behind these, shouting after each musical flourish, 'Behold! Thus it is done for the ones whom the King would honour!'

And so the procession wound through the streets of the city into its heart, gathering quite a following along the way, and on to the market place, where all fell silent as the fanfares grew nearer and louder. People came out of the shops, their errands forgotten, while Queen and hobbits gathered before the open door of the little linen shop and awaited developments.

Straight through the centre of the market they marched, right up to the door of the little shop, and there Haleth's men formed lines to either side of the doorway. The King helped old Gwill from the saddle, and Haldoron waited for Gwillam and Robin to dismount before handing off the reins to Bergil, who led both splendid horses to one side.

'Welcome!' Pippin said, stepping forward, quite as if the shop belonged to him. 'Well come, indeed!'

Old Gwill wore a wondering look, as if he suspected he might be dreaming, and Gwillam and Robin moved to steady him from either side as they stared at the brightly painted trim, and peered through the doorway to see all within scrubbed and tidy. As a matter of fact, when they entered the premises after all the pomp and ceremonies were over, they found newly-baked bread on a table laid for luncheon, and stew simmering over the fire in the kitchen, and the beds freshly made with clean, wind-scented linens, and in the wardrobes and chests the clothes had been washed and dried, pressed and folded with herbs in the folds, and fires had been laid ready for sparking on the hearths, and the ewers were full of fresh-drawn water, and all manner of little comforts had been tucked away here and there.

'I...' Gwill said, for Haleth's proclamation still rang in his ears. Forfeit to the Crown.

'It was the least we could do,' Arwen said, extending her hand to Seledrith. 'Put out of your home, with spring-cleaning time upon you, and not even able to take clothes for yourself or the baby...'

Airin, standing near the front of the crowd, did not see fit to correct this assumption on the part of the Queen. However, Airin and many others standing there that day received the impression that it was possible that the policy of confiscating the property from the family of a law-breaker might undergo some alteration in future.

'Gwill o'Dale, and Gwillam and Robin, sons of Gwill,' Pippin said grandly, raising his voice though silence reigned in the market place. 'I proclaim you Shire-friends, nay, heroes of the Shire, who have, with your selfless and courageous actions, won the gratitude of Thain...'

'...and Master,' put in Merry, at Pippin's side.

'...and Mayor!' Samwise said decidedly from the Thain's other side.

'...and so, we grant you and your descendants the freedom of the Shire, from now and henceforth!' Pippin said, extending three rolls of parchment, each tied with a bright ribbon.

Gwill took a shaky breath, and his eyes glimmered with tears as he looked to the King. 'My Lord?' he whispered.

Elessar nodded with a smile. Who was he to gainsay Master, Mayor, and Thain?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List