Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Thank you to Dana for the encouraging read-through. Written for Marigold's Challenge 22, in which I had to answer the following questions: When did Pippin first become aware that Merry was forming the Conspiracy and what were Pippin and/or Merry's thoughts watching the other fight during the Battle of Bywater?

"It's your choice, Pip," Merry said, leaning across the table. "No one will force you to go. You can stay, and no one will think any less of you. I won't think any less of you."

Pippin took a long swig of ale, peering at Merry over the rim of his mug. "And if I want to go?"

Worry momentarily clouded Merry's face before he smiled brightly, relieved. "I don't know if I'd rather leave you behind or keep you close, so I can look after you," he admitted.

"Good thing you've left the decision to me," Pippin said, grinning.

* * *

Between the mist and the bulky shapes of the Uruk-hai crowded around, Pippin could not see Merry. He wondered if he was plotting their escape, as he had planned their leaving the Shire. It was the sort of thing Merry would do.

The night grew long and the Uruk-hai ran faster. A persistent image of Strider gave Pippin doubts, and he thought perhaps he, and not Merry, was to plan their escape this time. When the orcs ahead disappeared into the gloom he saw his opportunity.
Squirming away from his captors Pippin ran, his feet pounding against the wet grass.

* * *

"Do you really mean to go?" Merry asked, drawing the blankets tighter around his shoulders, his face nearly as grey as it had been when Pippin had found him wandering through the City. "No one will think any less of you if you stay."

"I would think less of myself," Pippin whispered, feeling as if his heart was being torn out, piece by piece.

Squeezing his hand, Merry nodded, understanding as Pippin knew he would. "Well, I don't suppose you'll need too much looking after, now that you're a soldier of Gondor."

"I suppose not," Pippin replied, trying to smile.

* * *

In the end Merry and Pippin had to come home to stand together in battle.

Watching Merry spout strategies and bark orders, Pippin supposed that his cousin wanted to make up for lost time, to fight at last after being forced to stay behind for so long. And so when they charged the ruffians, Pippin thought it best to leave the leader to Merry. After all they were both alike in a way, spoiling for a fight, though it was Merry who emerged as the victor.

When it was over Pippin met Merry's eyes and grinned, glad of his decision.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List