Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone Among Masses  by TigerLily713

Chapter Four- Fate Returns the Favor

 

“My dears, how good to see you!  How did your trip fare?”  The old man hobbling towards Ysenia and her children had his arms outstretched in an obvious plea for a hug. 

 

Xanthe ran to him first.  “Nori!”  She cried, jumping into his arms, nearly knocking the bent man off his balance.

 

“Easy there!”  the man chuckled, looking in awe at the beautiful young women before him.  “My, how you’ve sprouted up!  Ysenia, has it really been so long?”

 

Ysenia put down her bags.  “It has Uncle-- too long indeed.”  Ysenia picked up the old mans wrinkled hand and spoke sincerely, looking him in the eye.  “Thank you so much for allowing us to stay here while we look for quarters.  I don’t know what we would have done had you not offered.”

 

The old man smiled humbly and waved his hand at her, as if shooing away her compliments.  His grey eyes were sparkling with some sort of exciting secret.  “Think nothing of it.  You are family.  In hard times, families look after each other.  At least when I was young they did.  Of course, now a days…” 

 

Olihre tried to hide the smirk on his face as he turned around and scanned his surroundings.  Uncle Noradol would go on forever if you let him.  He hadn’t seen his great-uncle in fourteen years, not since he and his 2nd wife had been sent to Rohan to serve as horse trainers for Theoden’s army.  They had been sent as a gift from Dethenor, Steward of Gondor.  He was repaying Theoden for the many soldiers that had been lent as guards for his travels.

 

“Oli?” Olihre turned back around and saw everyone staring at him, including his scowling aunt who had joined the others in front of the house. 

 

“Sorry, ummm…what?”

 

Ysenia smiled, “Your uncle has invited you to his stables to see his latest charge.”

 

“Charge?  I suppose I wasn’t paying attention.  What is a charge, exactly?”

 

Noradol suppressed a chuckle and said simply, “Just a horse boy, the latest to be entrusted to me by King Eomer for training.”

 

At Eomer’s name, Olihre stiffened.  His smile reflected that stance and he took a deep breath.  “I’d love to see it Nori, but I think I should help Mum into the house with our things first, eh?”

 

Xanthe nodded her head in obvious approval.  She was actually somewhat offended that she had not been invited to see the horse, although she knew that in her great-uncle’s eyes she was just a little girl who would likely not care about such things.

 

Xanthe patted Olihre roughly on the shoulder.  “I’ll help you Oli, we’ll have everything settled in no time.  Then you can run off and play with the horses while I gossip with Mum and Auntie.”  This last sentence was said with a great deal of sarcasm, though nobody but Oli seemed to pick up on it.  He shot her a withering but humored look and started untying the bags from the horses. 

 

Xanthe picked up the bags that had set on the grass and proceeded to follow her mother inside.  She was surprised to note that the house was actually quite beautiful on the inside.  The walls were painted white, making the space appear bright and large.  The outside of the house was shingled in dark wood, and she had pictured a musty and dismal interior. 

 

“This way sweetheart,” her aunt said, motioning her up the narrow staircase. 

 

Xanthe smiled slightly.  Her aunt was a very strange woman.  She was so sweet at times, but she could also be the toughest, most stubborn woman you could ever have the mischance to stumble upon.  Xanthe wondered how she had ended up with her soft-spoken, mild-tempered great uncle.  ‘Likely because he was so lonely after poor Auntie Lahri died.’  Xanthe scolded herself for dwelling on such matters, and hurried after her Aunt down a short hallway. 

 

“Here’s the room you and your mother will share while you’re here.  Your brother will stay out in the loft above the stables.  There is a dresser in the room next door, as well as a bathtub and a washtub for your clothes.  Olihre can share those if he likes.    Water can be pumped from the well behind the house, but take care bringing it up the stairs; I don’t want my new rugs to be spoiled.”

 

With that her great-aunt left the room.  Xanthe raised her eyebrows and sighed a bit too loudly.

 

“What’s the matter?”  Ysenia had been standing in the hall listening to her aunt’s speech.  “You didn’t bring a quill to write all that down?”

 

Xanthe smiled, relieved that she hadn’t been scolded.  “I am just tired Mum.”

 

“Lie down then, sweetie.  Oli is finishing up with our things.  I am going to go talk with Auntie Corla.  I’ll come and get you when dinner is ready.”

 

Xanthe knew that she should help with dinner, but her body was too tired to argue.  She lay down on the small bed in the corner and rolled over to face the wall.  Despite her fatigue though, her eyes never did close.

*          *          *

 “Gav, do you know what happened to the gray stallion that I brought back from Mirkwood?”  Eomer had entered his friend’s study and was now taking a seat on the overstuffed ottoman in the corner.

 

Gaviwyr had been looking through property deeds when Eomer had entered.  He smiled at his friend, who seemed much more at ease than he had the previous night.  “I took him to Noradol to be trained.  Why?”

 

“Just that he is actually a wedding present to Eowyn and Faramir.”

 

“From Legolas?” Gaviwyr looked intrigued. 

 

Eomer rolled his eyes.  Gaviwyr had an unabashed fascination with Elves.  “Yes, from Legolas.  While he was in Gondor visiting Aragon he asked me to send a message to his father; he also asked me to fetch the horse for him.”

 

“Is he coming here to get it?” Gaviwyr asked hopefully.  He loved to speak with Legolas about all of his journeys.  It hadn’t even been a full two years ago, after the Great Battle where Lady Eowyn was injured, that he had the privilege of hearing Legolas sing a haunting song about battles and the loss of loved ones.  Gaviwyr had developed a profound respect for Legolas.

 

“No, I am taking it to him.  We will meet in Minas Tirith next week.  I wondered if you would come and keep me company?”  Eomer knew this would delight his friend, and he was relieved to have some way to repay him for his loyalty and friendship. 

 

Gaviwyr nearly jumped out of his seat.  “Eomer, need you ask?  You are not the only restless one here.”

 

Eomer clapped his hand together in a sign of finality and said, “Done!  We’ll leave after the army drills at the end of the week.  Meanwhile, should we leave the horse there, or should we bring him back here?”

 

Gaviwyr squinted his eyes as if trying to see the answer more clearly.  “Well, Noradol did say he had family arriving soon.  He would probably appreciate a bit of time to spend with them.  I’ll have him send it back as soon as he can.”

 

“Well done.  I’ve got a lot of preparing to do before we leave, so I’ll be off.”  With that, Eomer turned to leave, but stopped short and turned back around.  “Gav?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Thanks for speaking with me last night.  I feel much better.  I haven’t thought about the river incident all day…well, except for now, or course.”

 

Gaviwyr looked solemnly at his King.  “You’ll do well to forget it entirely.”  He then grinned playfully, “Plus, there are plenty of beautiful women here who would love to take your mind off of the matter.”

 

Eomer rolled his eyes.  In a way he felt that is experience at the river and his feelings about the girl were cheapened by the comment Gaviwyr had just made, but he knew that his friend meant well. 

 

“It isn’t like that, Gav.  I didn’t look at her as someone to court.  I think I was taken with her because she is someone I would like to be.  She was alone and strong;  self-willed and free.” Eomer let out a frustrated groan.  “I don’t know… there was just something about her that I wanted to experience for myself.  I am still not really sure what it was.”

 

Gaviwyr smiled.  “Well whatever it is, if I find you wearing a slip and bathing in a river, I shall be very upset!”  He knew that his friend was serious, but he felt that lightening the situation might be a good thing.

 

Eomer threw his head back and tried to hold in a laugh.  He knew that his friend understood.  “Not to worry.  I think Theoden would arise from his grave and bury me in it if he ever caught wind of that happening.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List