Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone Among Masses  by TigerLily713

Chapter Ten- What a Tangled Web We Weave

 

Olihre was amazed to see his sister ride up their lane with a smile on her face.  Had the King indeed paid her off?  Olihre had the sudden urge to say something sarcastic, but thought better of it, as he didn’t truly know the feelings of his sister’s heart.  She was after all very good at masking her emotions.  Instead, he helped her off her steed and offered to return the horse for her.  “Mum will want to know how your luncheon went,” he said with a hesitant voice and a sidelong glance.

 

Xanthe knew that her brother was trying to pry information out of her without actually putting himself in the vulnerable position of asking.  “Thanks Oli.  I shall tell Mum that my meeting went splendidly!” 

 

“Then he didn’t tell you…!”

 

Olihre’s rant was cut off by Xanthe’s reassuring grip on his arm.  “It was not what I had expected mind you, but it turned out well, nonetheless.”

 

Olihre knew that her pointed words spoke of the secret that the two shared.  He gave his sister a concerned look, affectionately squeezing her shoulder.  “You don’t hate me then for not telling you the truth?”

 

Xanthe shook her head emphatically and gave Olihre a kiss on the cheek.  “I know why you did what you did, though I wish you wouldn’t have put yourself in such danger-- storming the palace…honestly Oli!”

 

Oli smiled at her exasperated expression.  It was good to see any expression on his sister’s usually sullen face.  “All right, no more storming the palace.  Besides, I am staying as far from there as possible, what with that Gaviwyr daemon stalking me like prey!”

 

Xanthe raised an eyebrow in surprise, but did not comment.  She really didn’t want to know any more than she had to about the situation.  As far as she was concerned, nothing happened.  She wished not to see the faults of the past, but rather to plan the success’s of the future-- her future, which for the first time in her life seemed full of possibility.

 

While Olihre tended to the horse, Xanthe very nearly flew into the house to seek out her mother.  Throwing open the front door and stumbling inside, she gasped as she ran into her uncle.  “Nori!  I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there!”

 

Before Noradol had a chance to reply, Aunt Corla cut in from across the room, “Didn’t LOOK is more like it child!  Gracious!”

 

Xanthe’s face fell as she tried to make out an apology, but her scowling aunt apparently hadn’t finished yet.  “’Tis a good thing you’ll be off wreaking havoc at the palace instead of here!”  The words sounded rather harsh, but Corla gave Xanthe a knowing smile and winked at her. 

 

Xanthe tried to hide the ridiculous grin on her face, but she seemed to have lost control of her facial muscles.  “They have accepted me Auntie!  I start tomorrow!”

 

“Well dear that is wonderful, but I suspect you should be telling your mother all this before you unload on us!  Go on, she’s upstairs!”

 

Noradol took Xanthe’s hand and patted it as she past him and raced up the stairs.  Turning to Corla he whispered, “Can you even remember life before these young ones came?”

 

Corla replied curtly, but with a soft look in her eyes, “Wouldn’t want to.”

 

*          *          *

 

The luncheon had gone well, though it was a little awkward at times.  Eomer had relaxed quite a bit, but still seemed somewhat nervous.  Gaviwyr was his usual chatty self and had been Xanthe’s saving grace, making her feel very comfortable.  As they ate, they discussed the requirements of the position as well as the upcoming trip.  It had been agreed that for Xanthe to join Eomer and Gaviwyr alone on the trip at this point would be a bad idea.  Not only because of the strange circumstances of their relationship, but because she was brand new to the job and hadn’t become well acquainted with them yet.  They agreed that they would reevaluate their positions on future trips when the time came, but until then they needed to find an escort for Xanthe. 

 

“We certainly have plenty of options,” Gaviwyr had said.  “We could send any of our female servants, though I fear they may not be accustomed to riding a horse for days on end or sleeping on the ground, as we will be doing.”

 

Eomer nodded but said, “However, their job is to do my bidding, and if that is what I bid of them, what choice have they?”

 

Xanthe was a bit put off by Eomer’s pompous statement, even though he hadn’t said it with any air of majesty, only as a simple fact.  “I don’t think that will be necessary,” she said looking pointedly at the King, “I shall have my brother Olihre join me, if that is agreeable with you.”  Xanthe enjoyed seeing Eomer and Gaviwyr exchange looks of annoyance with each other.  “Is that a problem?”

 

Gaviwyr smiled suavely and turned to Xanthe.  “No mi’lady, it is not a problem…not with us anyway.  It is just that your brother doesn’t particularly like either of us.” 

 

Eomer rubbed the bridge of his nose tentatively between his thumb and forefinger.  “That doesn’t matter Gav, he has every reason not to like me.  But that’s not the point anyway.  His purpose will be to accompany Xanthe, not to serve as a jester for me.”  Looking apologetically at Xanthe he smiled, “Of course your brother may come.”

 

Xanthe smiled at the King’s dry sense of humor.  “Thank you Your Highness.  I shall tell him to behave civilly, he won’t be a bother, I promise.”

 

*          *          *

 

After luncheon was over, Xanthe was given a tour of the palace, and then shown to the healing house, which was larger and more beautiful than Xanthe could ever have expected.  The outdoor path that led to the house was lined with trees, beautifully carved wooden arbors, flowering vines and ornate wishing wells.  Birdbaths could be spotted here and there along the way, and the ground was paved with smooth stones taken from the river. 

 

Xanthe wandered along the path in awe, breathing in the cool autumn air and listening to the brittle leaves crunch under their feet.  She approached the doors to the wing and marveled at the rich, dark wood.  Eomer opened the doors and stepped aside, allowing Xanthe and Gaviwyr to enter.  Xanthe entered only a few feet and then stopped, taking in everything around her.  Several etched-crystal lamps fastened to the walls with polished brass lighted the hallways.  Between the lamps hung bright tapestries, making the hallway appear warm and comfortable.

 

Gaviwyr’s green eyes sparkled as he stole a look at the obviously overwhelmed maiden.  He and Eomer exchanged amused glances.  “You haven’t even seen the chambers yet,” Gaviwyr chuckled as he passed Xanthe and headed down the corridor.  Xanthe blushed slightly and turned to follow Gaviwyr.  She was surprised when a usually silent Eomer came up beside her and began making small talk.

 

“So how is it that you have gained so much experience as a healer in so little time?” 

 

Xanthe turned to look at the King, wondering if he was skeptical of her abilities.  She was relieved to find that he was smiling, his eyebrows arched in expectation.  Xanthe cleared her throat, wondering how far into detail she should go.  “I’ve simply taken advantage of the visits from our family healer.”

 

Eomer nodded politely but interjected, “It would seem then that you are either a very fast learner, or you were sick more often than most.”

 

Xanthe smiled coyly.  This King was sharper than his outer appearance let on.  She decided to be more straightforward and replied, “Yes, I was sick quite often as a child.  The healer became as much a member of our family as any of us.  He was there every morning when I awoke, and every evening when I retired.  Sometimes he even stayed over.”

 

A look of concern flashed in Eomer’s sandalwood eyes.  “Then your illness was serious?”

 

“It was…for a long time, but it is entirely gone now.  I am as healthy and strong as one who never had the disease.”  Xanthe watched Eomer’s normally rigid jaw relax as his lips formed a smile. 

 

“That is a good thing, for traveling with Gav and I is not always easy.  We like to set a hard pace.”  He looked at Xanthe, knowing that she would likely come back with one of her rock solid replies, and indeed, he was gratified

 

“I’ve never met a pace I didn’t like!” she said with a determined laugh.

 

Eomer decided to up the stakes.  “What of that brother of yours?   Is he as friendly with paces as you?”

 

Xanthe wasn’t sure whether to laugh at the King’s comment or dutifully defend her brother.  “Oli can hold his own,” she laughed, “as long as you feed him well and are careful not to step on his toes!”

 

Gaviwyr had been listening in and couldn’t help but laugh at the double meaning that Xanthe had obviously given her reply.  “We shall try extra hard not to step on his toes, or yours for that matter, as he seems to feel the discomfort in proxy.”

 

Eomer rolled his eyes, hoping that Xanthe wouldn’t be offended by Gaviwyr’s rather insensitive statement.  “Ignore that, please mi’lady.”

 

“I shall,” Xanthe said, narrowing her eyes in mock offense and raising her eyebrows at Gaviwyr.  Gaviwyr only smiled confidently and continued down the hall, coming to massive double doors, which he simultaneously threw open with ease.  Xanthe entered the larger room and smiled.  “This will do wonderfully,” she said in a whisper meant only for her.

 

“Good,” Eomer laughed, “I’m not sure I could justify redecorating it according to your whim.  The cooks and butlers would most definitely throw a fit!”

 

Xanthe smiled and nodded absentmindedly as she walked around the brightly lit room.  It was painted a light cream color, with a border of wild red-rose vines painted just above the baseboards and extending halfway up the twelve-foot walls.  The ceiling was painted sky blue, and had brass chandeliers hanging from it.  The chandeliers were shaded with etched crystal, causing the light to ricochet in all directions.  The floor was tiled with lovely sandstone colored slate, scrubbed clean and polished to a gloss. 

 

Gaviwyr led Xanthe to the far wall and began his tour.  “Here mi’lady, are the cupboards that hold all of our remedies; herbs, tonics, salves…” Gaviwyr let his voice trail off as he fumbled around in his tunic pocket.  “Ah, here it is, your key!  We keep it locked, for proprieties sake, of course.”

 

“Of course.” Xanthe echoed as she ran her hand over the smooth brown wood.  Taking the key from Gaviwyr she fit it in the lock and opened the doors.  “Very well-stocked!” Xanthe noticed aloud.

 

“Yes, Puchen was very meticulous when it came to his duties.” Eomer said, smiling devilishly at Gaviwyr.

 

Xanthe noticed the exchange and shot each of them an expectant glance.  “Don’t tell me you two are going to share a joke and not offer me the pleasure!”

 

Eomer laughed aloud at Xanthe’s forwardness.  “Of course not Mi’lady!  Gav, why don’t you tell her why our old healer resigned?”

 

Gaviwyr cocked his head, shaking it melodramatically.  “I suppose you are going to try to blame me for that aren’t you, you scoundrel?  I tell you, the man had it in for me!”

 

Eomer shook his head.  “As I remember it, he was simply trying to pack the medicine cupboard for the trip, and you were giving him a hard time.”

 

“That is precisely the problem, he was trying to pack the ENTIRE thing!  If I hadn’t stopped him, he may have tried to pack the cupboard itself.  Honestly!”

 

Xanthe laughed, “That’s it?  There must have been some other reason!  Nobody quits a palace position for something so minor.”

 

Eomer raised his eyebrows and groaned, “Yes…well they do if they have no respect whatsoever FOR the King.”

 

At that Gaviwyr started laughing maniacally, “He thinks Eomer’s an elf-lover!  A troll-hugger!  A dwarve…”

 

“I think she gets the point Gav!” Eomer was trying to act mad, but he couldn’t hide the obvious pleasure he was getting from the exchange.  “Puchen wasn’t very tolerant of other races,” He explained to Xanthe.  “He accused me of bringing trouble to Rohan by opening the land to all who would come.”

 

Gaviwyr interrupted, “He is especially distrustful of elves, and since several of Eomer’s closest friends are elves…well, let’s just say contention seemed rather unavoidable.”

 

Xanthe nodded her head and frowned.  “How could one be distrustful of elves?  They are marvelous!”

 

Those were certainly the right words to say if one was trying to win the respect of either of the two men in the room, but especially Gaviwyr, who looked at Xanthe as if she were made of chocolate.  “My sentiments exactly,” he beamed, unconsciously licking his lips.

 

Xanthe was busying herself with rummaging through the supplies, and took no notice of Gaviwyr’s sudden fascination with her; however, the change had not gone unnoticed by Eomer.  “Yes,” he said mockingly, “and if anyone here is an elf-lover, it is Gaviwyr.  He practically worships them!  In fact, didn’t you once say that if Legolas was a woman…”

 

“Eomer, you are twisting my words!” Gaviwyr felt his face go hot.  He couldn’t believe Eomer was doing this to him!  Narrowing his eyes he held a private conversation with Eomer.  No words were spoken, only knowing looks.

 

You are jealous, aren’t you? Gaviwyr questioned Eomer with a glance.

 You have been pretending this whole time that you didn’t like her! Eomer shot back with an accusing eyebrow.

 I don’t!  Not like that anyway!  Calm yourself you lovesick pup! Gaviwyr had perfected the martyr look and was now using it against Eomer.    

 I have no idea what you are talking about. Eomer insisted with a penitent look.

 

 “Uh-hmmm,” Xanthe wasn’t sure quite what she was witnessing, but she felt she should either leave or break it up.  “Gentlemen…is there something wrong?”     

 

The two men broke away from their staring match and looked around awkwardly.  Mumbling excuses and apologies, the two quickly looked for something to distract Xanthe, glancing at each other desperately, with sheepish grins on their faces.

 

“Right…uh…let’s look at the…ummm…” Eomer was having trouble focusing.  Why was he acting this way?  He wasn’t actually jealous of Gaviwyr, was he?  This is ridiculous, I am not interested in courting her.  He can have her if he wants.  For all I care, he can take her to…

 

“The beds!” Gaviwyr finished Eomer’s spoken sentence for him.

 

“What?” Eomer half-yelled.  He had lost track of the conversation.

 

Gaviwyr glanced at his friend with an incredulous look on his face.  “Let’s show her the healing beds.” Gaviwyr pronounced every syllable carefully, looking Eomer straight in the eye.  Doing so, he had missed the confused look that Xanthe had allowed to inhabit her face briefly.

 

Eomer blushed, not for the first time that day, a fact that annoyed him greatly.  “Right, yes…the beds.  Why don’t you show her the beds Gav, I’ve…other matters to attend to.”

 

For the millionth time that day, the King and Captain looked at each other pensively.  Xanthe was left staring at the two, wondering what in the world had been in their wine that hadn’t been in hers.  Inwardly, Xanthe rather enjoyed seeing the two behave so strangely.  It made her feel much less intimidated around them.  I haven’t any experience with proper socializing; maybe this is normal in these parts…or maybe I have gotten myself into a funny situation.  Xanthe held a private conversation with herself briefly, while the two men continued theirs.  This was interrupted when she glanced about and saw a winding staircase leading to a hatch in the ceiling. 

 

“Where does that lead?” she asked, pointing to the corner of the room. 

 

The two men snapped out of their brief mental battle and glanced in the direction her slim finger was pointing.  “Oh,” Eomer started, “that leads to the roof.  We have a little garden and sun deck up there.  Patients that are well enough can go up there to relax.  Would you like to see it?”

 

“I would love to!” Xanthe started walking towards the staircase.

 

“Good, Gav can show you!  I’ll be off.”  Before anyone could say anything Eomer was strolling quickly towards the double doors.  “We’ll see you tomorrow then Mi’lady?”

 

“Xanthe, My Lord, please…and yes, I’ll be here bright and early.”

 

Eomer turned on his heel and stopped just inside the doors.  “In that case, Xanthe, please call me Eomer.  Until tomorrow.”  Eomer nodded his head politely and took his leave.

 

When Eomer was out of earshot Gaviwyr quipped, “What he means is you may call him Eomer until tomorrow, after that, you can call him a horse’s…!”

 

“Gav!” Xanthe interjected, trying not to gratify him with a laugh; her smile though gave her away. 

 

Gaviwyr liked that Xanthe was shortening his name already.  Most of his close friends did, but only after having known him for years.  “Sorry Mi’lady…or is it Xan?” 

 

He was teasing her now, but Xanthe wasn’t to be made flustered.  She merely ignored him and started up the stairs.  The two spent the rest of the hour on the roof, discussing the trip and planning the necessary provisions.  When the sun began to make its way into the west, Xanthe excused herself, allowing Gaviwyr to escort her back to the stables, although he had tried to insist that she wait at the palace and have one of the stable boys deliver her horse to her.        

 

“Do I look like an invalid?” she had questioned him.

 

Gaviwyr took full advantage of this opportunity to allow his eyes to briefly take in her form.  “Of course not Mi’lady,” he ceded, “I just wouldn’t want your lovely dress to be muddied or torn.”

 

Xanthe smile with satisfaction.  She was pleased to have gotten a compliment regarding her mother’s Elven dress.  “You do have a point Mi’lord, but look…here we are…and not even a scratch!”  Xanthe swished her skirt to rid it of any dust.  “I am an accomplished woman, would you not say?”

 

Gaviwyr helped Xanthe onto her horse and stood back.  “Accomplished indeed!” he said aloud as she rode off.  And then to himself, you’ve made a King and his Captain act like children.  Shaking his head, he headed back to the palace, knowing that he and Eomer’s relationship had taken a strange turn, and wondering what would come next.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List