Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone Among Masses  by TigerLily713

Chapter Fourteen- Can’t We All Just Get Along?

 

Eomer and Xanthe slept well that night.  The potent root healed their bodies while their brief encounter at the river revived their spirits.  When morning came, Olihre and Gaviwyr arose early to prepare breakfast as they had agreed the night before.  Xanthe had attempted to get up, but Olihre had insisted that she stay in her bedroll and take advantage of the few extra minutes of rest.  She finally agreed and lay back down, though she knew she would not fall back asleep.

           

Olihre went about building a fire while Gaviwyr fetched fresh water from the river.  Xanthe rolled over to face Eomer, whose bedroll was just to the left of hers.  He was still sound asleep, his face covered by his blanket.  Xanthe smiled as an idea came to her.  I shouldn’t wake him, she thought to herself, while at the same time reaching out and gently pulling the blanket from off of his face.  Eomer stirred slightly but did not wake.  His blond hair hung over his face, partially concealing his unconscious smile.  Xanthe laughed quietly.  He was a handsome yet formidable man when awake, but when sleeping, he looked like a boy, innocent and docile.  Lying back down, Xanthe yawned and stretched like a cat, allowing her muscles to remember their duties.   

           

Olihre had just finished building the fire to an acceptable blaze when Gaviwyr returned with a container of water.  “Just porridge this morning,” he said as he stepped over Xanthe’s bedroll to get to the fire.  “I couldn’t find any berries or fruits that weren’t frozen over.”

           

“We’ll certainly survive on JUST porridge,” Xanthe said sarcastically.  In reality, porridge was one of her favorite meals.  She loved the taste of the millet and wheat when boiling had coaxed out their pungent flavors.  “It’s too bad we don’t have any honey.” she added.

           

Olihre smiled triumphantly at Xanthe’s comment and ran to his bedroll.  Out of the depths of his pack he fished a small vial.  “Auntie Corla sent me with this!”

           

Xanthe gaped in awe when she saw the beautiful golden honey.  “You’ve been packing that this whole time?”

           

Olihre nodded.  “I actually forgot that I had it.  But we haven’t really needed it until now, have we?  No harm done.”

           

Xanthe jumped out of her bedroll and gave her brother a massive hug.  “No harm done at all!”

           

Gaviwyr smiled but looked away as he noticed Eomer stirring out of the corner of his eye.  “And his majesty arises!” he jested as Eomer blinked his eyes several times and brushed his hair out of his face. 

           

Xanthe suddenly felt a bit nervous.  Ridiculous thoughts ran through her head as she waited for recognition.  Would the king remember their encounter?  Would he be angry with her for her boldness the previous night?  Would he regret it?  Xanthe’s thoughts ran wild as she watched Eomer acknowledge Gaviwyr with a roll of his eyes.  He then looked at Olihre briefly before turning his eyes hungrily towards Xanthe.  She felt relief rush over her as he smiled broadly and then blushed, looking down at his disheveled appearance.  Xanthe’s relief however soon turned to alarm when she saw the curious look on Gaviwyr’s face and the bewildered look on Olihre’s.  She quickly turned around and started preparing the porridge. 

           

Gaviwyr stopped her with a firm hand.  “Mi’lady, we promised we would cook breakfast this morning.”  He glanced at Olihre who nodded and took the spoon out of her hands.

           

Xanthe nodded in resignation.  “I think I’ll just take a short walk then.”

           

The others exchanged knowing glances.  They all knew that when Xanthe wanted to go on a ‘short walk’ it meant she was going to ‘use the facilities,’ so to speak.  They always made sure to stay exactly where they were and wait for her to come back.

           

When Xanthe was out of earshot, Gaviwyr approached Eomer, who was taking advantage of Xanthe’s absence to quickly change into a fresh pair of leggings.  Gaviwyr sidled up to him and whispered, “So, what are you so happy about?”

           

Eomer just shrugged nonchalantly and replied, “Nothing in particular.  I suppose I slept well last night.”

           

Gaviwyr grinned, “Well, you certainly were smiling profusely in your sleep.”

           

Eomer rolled his eyes.  “So?”

           

“So, My King, I have never seen you do anything short of scowl in your sleep, especially when you are sleeping on the hard ground.  What are you not telling me?”

           

Eomer hated lying to Gaviwyr; he knew he could not fool him and that Gav would only be resentful of his deceit.  Yet, he had told Xanthe that he would keep their encounter a secret for the time being.  “Nothing Gav, really…go make your porridge!”

           

Gaviwyr squinted his eyes and glared at Eomer.  “Fine.  Let’s just hope you are a better liar when Olihre asks you if you were with Xanthe last night at the river!” 

 

With that, Gaviwyr turned and stalked off, leaving Eomer looking particularly horrified.  Eomer would have run after him and admitted everything had Xanthe not returned at that very moment.  She entered the clearing just as Gaviwyr turned and stormed away from Eomer.  She wasn’t sure what to focus on first, Gaviwyr’s sour expression or Eomer’s hurt one.  She looked furtively at Eomer, questioning him with her eyes.  He only looked back at her in frustration.  Now I’ve done it!  Gaviwyr is angry and Eomer will regret ever knowing me.  Why am I so utterly incapable of having a normal relationship?   

           

Xanthe’s thoughts were interrupted when Olihre demanded, “Have I missed something?”

           

Xanthe, Eomer and Gaviwyr all looked at each other, neither sure of what to say.  Gaviwyr finally spoke, “No Olihre, you have missed NOTHING-- nothing at all.”  With that he walked off in the direction of the river.

           

“Obviously I have missed something,” Olihre insisted.  “Why is Gaviwyr upset?”

           

Eomer looked at Xanthe, wondering whether he ought to be honest or whether to continue the lie.  Xanthe returned his look with a pleading one of her own.  Eomer knew it was not yet time.  “Gaviwyr asked me a question that I was not prepared to answer, that is all.  He and I are very close and he seems to think he should be involved in everything in my life.  Unfortunately, that just isn’t so.”

           

Olihre looked at the King with growing dissatisfaction.  “I am sure he appreciates your loyalty and trust!”

           

Eomer felt his cheeks grow hot as he advanced towards Olihre.  “You have no idea what you speak of!  Do not dare to presume you can regard me in such a manner!”

           

Olihre turned to Xanthe, a look of indignant triumph in his eyes.  “This is what you want?  This is who you choose?”  With that he turned and followed Gaviwyr’s path towards the river.

           

Xanthe fought back tears of panic as she looked at Eomer.  His face was hard and angry.  “Eomer, I am so sorry!  I didn’t know all this would come of…of…”

           

“Of a stupid mistake!” Eomer interjected coldly.

           

Xanthe released all of the breath within her as she turned away in shame.  Of course it had been a mistake.  How could I have hoped for the love of a King when I cannot even maintain a simple friendship with the most common of people?  And now what have I done?  I have caused trouble between a King and his Captain; between a King and my brother!  How selfish must I be before I realize my inadequacy?

           

Eomer started towards Xanthe, his arm held out as if to touch her, but she moved away.  “Forgive me Your Highness, it was my mistake.  It will not happen again.”  Xanthe turned and walked briskly towards her horse.  She untied it and quickly mounted, not looking back as she rode off in the opposite direction of the river.

           

Eomer watched Xanthe ride off with a look of disgrace upon his face.  He knew he couldn’t have said anything that would have comforted her.  He had betrayed her trust and he doubted that she would ever give it to him again.  Eomer looked at his surroundings with a heavy heart.  The porridge was boiling over on the fire and the bedrolls lay strewn upon the ground.  Not a sound was heard upon the plain but the gallop of a single horse racing towards a shelter of loneliness-- the only thing that had ever kept Xanthe safe and the very thing that tore at Eomer’s heart that moment.        





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List