Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Space Weavil's Drabbles  by Space Weavil

Drabbles

The Forces of Darkness

I

In the Shadows – Gríma Wormtongue

Her pale flesh, cold as heathland rain…if only I could see her fully. Yet I am no great warrior. I have nothing that would lure her gaze. For the moment I stay in the shadows and dream…nay long…for those slender white thighs to embrace me.

If only there were not so high a price, yet am I not permitted my happiness? If no ill comes to Rohan from this betrayal, and love lights up my life after this tempest, then is it not good?

If I can watch at last in freedom as she disrobes, is that not worth it?

 

 

II

Where She Cannot Watch – Gollum

We sees it wriggling. Mustn’t make a sound. Catch it while it swims in shallow waters. Mustn’t scare it. We slips our hand into the pool and we smiles. Nice food for us today. Not hungry today.

Something touches us. We feels it on our back. It burns! And we cannot see the fishes any more! Bright, burning light! No food today. Fishes swim away. Curse the light.

Then we remembers its name. Loathsome, burning thing. The Sun, that is what we called her.

And we hates her.

Now we catch our fishes in the dark, where she cannot watch.

 

 

III

Annatar’s Gift – Khamûl the Easterling

He stood and gazed upon the shifting sands. The tents, crimson, blue and gold, gleamed in the naked sun, the palms fanning them gently in the breeze.

Then his eyes moved from the Easterling war camp to the band of mithril upon his finger; metal jaws clasping a blood red stone. So precious a gift! Its power flowed through his skin already. And with this Annatar’s gift, thought Khamûl, there would no longer be a question as to loyalty. All in the East would serve him.

Such a precious gift.

Yet strange how the sun no longer seemed as bright…

 

IV

Danse Macabre – Gandalf and the Balrog

Nature's pull dragged down their writhing forms. Flames cavorted gleefully round them both and licked the Istar's flesh. Then they plunged into darkness. The fires hissed and died. The Servant of Flame now writhed in slime and shadow. The gavotte continued in the icy waters. Two Maiar struggled on in that unwholesome gloom. They circled each other, embracing and turning. And not even when they reached the very bottom, which none had seen save the unspeakable creatures who dwelt in that dark, did their dance cease. It could not end, lest one of them had victory, and the other death.

 

V

Knives in the Dark – Butturbur and the Ringwraiths

The beds were tattered; the frames in splinters, the sheets shredded; a sorry sight indeed. And what of the reputation? The town already throbbed with rumours, excited whispers coursing through the streets, of murderous figures moving in the night, visiting the inn, and preyed upon its customers.

Butturbur looked upon the damage, heart heavy with both sadness and alarm. There was no guarantee the danger would not return.

And worse, that morning he discovered that an attack by wraiths in service of the Dark Lord counted as an ‘Act of the Gods’, and therefore his insurance would not cover him.

 

VI

Call to Arms – The Witch King of Angmar

"Upon our black steeds we shall scour the lands for that which our master seeks. Never shall we rest, for we are bound. Our only purpose is to serve, and to recover the One Ring, wherever it may be. Heed your Black Captain, wraiths of Sauron and prepare to ride forth…What is it? Well we can hardly ride out with only seven of us…Who’s missing? Look, do I have to take a sodding register? So where is Khamûl? Well how can he have an infection there…or anywhere for that matter? What d’you mean he has a note from his mum?"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List