Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Forest  by MagicalRachel

Disclaimer - I own none of the characters or places mentioned in this story: they belong to the Tolkien estate. I'm just playing.

A/N - Set between Buckleberry Ferry and Bree. This story is based on FotR movieverse, and so while I am attempting to stay true to movie canon, it will not necessarily be true to book canon. Written for Marigold's challenge page, January 2004.

Chapter 1 - Decisions

Rain pounded ceaselessly on the wooden platform as Frodo slumped, exhausted, against the ferry's support struts. Though the storm obscured almost all vision, he was able to discern the silhouettes of those he most feared turning away from the river and riding off into the night, and he pushed his limp hair out of his eyes and released a breath he hadn't realised he was holding. The faint faces of his three companions, two of his kin and his faithful gardener, came briefly into view as they crowded around him, their eyes filled with concern.

"Frodo, what is going on?" said Pippin, his voice shaking slightly. "Who were those riders?"

Frodo turned to the patch of dark where the voice of his young cousin emitted from. "I don't know, Pip, I really don't."

Frodo's mind was racing: Merry had said that it was only twenty miles to the nearest horse crossing, and the riders would not take long to cover the distance on their beasts. He and Sam would have to leave almost immediately, under cover of darkness, and unseen, if that was possible in a place like Buckland. Merry and Pippin would be sworn to silence, of course, because trust them as he might, Frodo could not risk word escaping of their whereabouts or their purpose. Then there was the question of where he and Sam should go. Gandalf had told them to wait for him at Bree, but how were they to get there? Travelling by the main roads was out of the question now that pursuit was certain, and so little choice remained: they would have to leave Buckland by the eastern entrance and pray to the Valar that its residents weren't placed in peril due to their decision. Unless... unless they were to venture into the Old Forest and leave that way.

"Frodo?" Merry was calling him softly, "Frodo, we are almost at the far shore. You must be ready to disembark. We will head to the old guest house in Crickhollow for now. I do not know your quest, but it seems that the least others know of it, the better, and this is the way that will attract least attention."

"Thank you, Merry," Frodo replied faintly, barely aware of his own voice, such was the depth of his thought, but the jerk of the ferry as they hit the small dock brought him back to his senses.

"But where are we going?" said Pippin, as he hurried to keep up with the hobbits walking quickly towards Crickhollow.

"We are not going anywhere," replied Frodo. His voice was soft, but the emphasis was clear. "You will be staying behind, young cousin. I thank you for your aid in assisting me this far, but you cannot continue - it is too dangerous."

"You cannot keep me here if Merry is going." Pippin spluttered indignantly.

"He is quite right, dear Frodo. He will follow you no matter what - it would be better to allow him-"

"I will be allowing neither of you to follow me." interrupted Frodo, "You will both be remaining in Buckland."

"But you cannot travel alone!" said Pippin, treading in front of Frodo and stopping him as he attempted to speed further towards the house.

"Peace, Master Peregrin." Sam placed his hand on Pippin's shoulder, stilling him. "Mr Frodo won't be goin' anywhere alone - not while I live an' can take care of him."

"So you will allow your gardener to accompany you, but not your faithful cousins?" Merry questioned, his tone harsh. "We will fight to the death with you, you know that."

"Which is why you will not be going anywhere past Crickhollow with me. And I would appreciate it if you did not speak to Samwise in that manner," Frodo's voice was soft, but still dangerous, "You may forget it, Meriadoc, but you are still my younger cousin, and Peregrin is not even of age yet. You cannot come with me."

"But Samwise..."

"Sam is my most faithful companion, and my care was entrusted unto him by Gandalf. It was perhaps against my better judgement, but I would not now be without him."

Frodo's words stung the two cousins, and they walked the remainder of the distance to the house in silence.

As the door snicked shut behind them, it was Merry who broke the quiet.

"We know about the Ring, Frodo."

Red light flickered about the room as Sam kindled a fire in the small grate.

"You... you do?"

"We have made adequate preparations, and were waiting only for you to arrive."

Frodo stared between the two hobbits, bewildered.

"How?"

"Do not think that Gandalf did not have the foresight to arrange companions for you."

"He said that you were in danger, Frodo," Pippin interjected, "Of course we agreed to come with you! But we had to feign stupidity out in the open"

Sam gave Pippin a pointed look and then smiled at the younger hobbit, any animosities forgotten.

The air chilled suddenly as if the weather had changed at a speed beyond comprehension. The fire extinguished itself, and a heaviness seemed to surround them. A far off screech sounded into the night.

"They are here!" said Frodo, his eyes widening as he bent to pick up the pack he had abandoned upon hearing Merry's revelation. "We must leave! Now!"

"The forest," said Merry, "It is our only chance."





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List