Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Day  by MagicalRachel

Sparkle (Rated G)

Rosie smiled as she washed the dishes in the kitchen and watched the soap bubbles sparkle in the sunlight.

Sparkle.

Not a word she wanted to forget.

She could still see the sparkle in Samwise's eyes as he drew her away from the throng at the party. His mischievous look, the one she remembered most from when he was younger. When he had less cares about himself. When he was still young enough to play with girls and not feel embarrassed.

She saw the sparkle on the cool water as they sat near the pond that night. Not on the banks, mind, there were only so many places a Gamgee could be coaxed into going, and by the pond wasn't one of them. He had smiled, that coy smile she loved so much, and all Rosie had been able to think was that word.

Sparkle.

He had taken her hand and held it in his lap, running the rough edge of his thumb along the freckled skin of her wrist. He told her that he would be leaving for a while, to take care of some business with Mr Frodo in Buckland, and that he might not be back for some time, but would she wait for him? She had known the answer for some time, of course, but had not expected the question. And her expression of surprise and delight, and her answer.... and the way it lit Samwise's eyes up like a million diamonds glinting in the moonlight. Not glinting..... sparkling.

And one day, she would sparkle with him.

Rosie shook her head gently, and returned to the cups and saucers, barely noticing that the water had turned cold as she watched the bubbles.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List