Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Lúthien's Gift  by Fiondil

II: Gathering

As the eventide approached, Melian and Olórin made their way towards Elrond and Celebrían’s house, wending their way through the single street that wound through Imladris ’Wain. It was a small settlement northwest of Kortirion, outside of Alalminórë proper, nestled in a small valley between low-lying hills overlooking the Bay of Eldamar. It had been founded by Elrond and other Imladris elves when they arrived at the end of the Third Age. The village bore no real resemblance to the original Imladris, for the geography was not the same. Still, those who made their homes here seemed content. Melian herself had moved here from Avallónë where she had been living with Celebrían until such time as her husband should join her.

As the two of them walked through the growing twilight, they saw elflings playing in courtyards under the indulgent eyes of their parents, who, upon recognizing the two Maiar, would bow or curtsey as they passed and murmur soft greetings, though the little ones continued in their play, oblivious to what had attracted their parents’ attention.

Melian and Olórin returned the elves’ greetings, stopping once to admire a new-born and congratulating her parents before moving on.

“A prosperous settlement,” Olórin commented. “Elrond has done well.”

“Yes,” agreed Melian. “Most of the elves who settled here originally came from Imladris but others have since joined them. I like it here.”

Olórin gave Melian a sideward glance. “Frankly, I was rather surprised you remained with the elves at all.”

Melian stopped, forcing the other Maia to stop as well. “Oh?”

Olórin nodded but did not immediately answer, instead looking around at the soft lantern lights beginning to glow with the growing dark. Finally he looked at Melian, his gaze piercing but not without compassion. “Nienna and I wondered if you would not choose to become disincarnate instead, for the pain you felt seemed at times to be overwhelming.”

Melian grimaced at the memories of those first few centuries after returning to Aman. “It’s true there were times I thought to do so, but I knew I could not, at least not until Elu was released from Mandos. And then, by the time he was...” she shrugged, her smile wry. “I guess I just couldn’t break the habit of being incarnate.”

Olórin snorted but his eyes welled with merriment and understanding. “Come, we don’t want to be late.”

They entered a cul-de-sac at the end of the street that opened up onto a courtyard in front of a large stone-built house. In fact, Melian knew that it was the largest house in the village, fitting for the lord who ruled them, and his family. A fountain played merrily in the twilight before the front door which was open, warm lamplight streaming out in greeting.

“I think we’re expected,” Olórin said with a grin.

As they entered the dwelling they found Glorfindel standing there as if waiting for their arrival. His face lit up with delight. “Celebrían told me you were coming,” the golden-haired elf said as he bowed over Melian’s hand and kissed it before taking Olórin’s arm in a warrior’s clasp. “So I decided to invite myself to dinner, since neither she nor Elrond could seem to bother.”

A deep laugh came from down the hallway connecting the entrance hall with the rest of the house and they saw the former Master of Imladris striding towards them, his arms open in greeting. “But only because we knew it would do no good to tell him to stay away.”

Glorfindel pretended to glower at his friend, then stuck his tongue out for good measure.

“Well, some things never change,” Olórin laughed.

Elrond shook his head in mock despair at Glorfindel, who affected an innocent look that was actually convincing. “Indeed, some things do not. Melian, I’m so glad you have come.” Elrond gave her a kinsman’s kiss, which she returned. “And Mithrandir, you are always welcome here. Celebrían and I wish you would visit more often.”

“Alas, my duties prevent me from doing so, but let us enjoy the time that we have together.”

“Indeed. Come, we are gathered in the dining room. Elros and Esteliel have been beside themselves with anticipation at seeing their Daernaneth Melian again. I fear they will make themselves ill with excitement.”

“Well, we can’t have that now, can we?” Melian said as she took Elrond’s proffered arm while Glorfindel and Olórin followed.

As they approached the dining room Melian heard two squeals of delight, followed by two bundles of joy running into her, nearly knocking her over in their enthusiasm.

“Daernana! Daernana! You’re here! You’re here!” two voices accosted her at once. Elrond frowned in annoyance at his children’s lack of decorum, but Melian merely laughed and bent down to hug them tightly.

“Yes, my little ones, I’m here.” Then she stood back the better to see them. The ellon, Elros, was as dark-haired as his adar, though his features were somewhat finer. He was tall for his age and Melian suspected that he would be taller even than Elrond someday. His twin sister, Esteliel, however, was silver-haired like her naneth, but she was definitely Elrond’s daughter in all other ways.

“My! You’ve both grown since I last saw you.”

“Daernana!” Esteliel said in an exasperated tone she reserved for recalcitrant adults, “You saw us just last week!”

“Did I now! That long ago? No wonder you’re so tall!”

The twins giggled.

“Children,” Elrond said and his tone of voice alerted the twins that the time for levity was over. “This is a friend of ours,” indicating Olórin. “His name is Olórin but we call him Mithrandir.”

“Hello, my dears,” Olórin smiled down at them. “I’m very happy to meet you at last.”

The twins stared at Olórin in some surprise but did not say anything at first. It was Elros who finally spoke, his voice soft with wonder. “You’re a Maia like Daernana, aren’t you, sir?”

Olórin’s smile grew broader. “Indeed I am, and like your Daernana, I’m especially fond of elflings.” Olórin knelt down so as to be at eye level with the twins. “Would you like to see something wonderful?”

Elros and Esteliel nodded, mesmerized, while the adults looked on. Celebrían had joined them in the meantime, wondering why no one was sitting down for the meal. Melian smiled a greeting to her, then turned her attention to the children, curious, as they all were, about what Olórin considered “wonderful”.

Olórin nodded towards a lit candle sitting on a sideboard. “See that candle? Watch closely.” The Maia made no move but stared at the candle along with everyone else, when suddenly the flame grew larger, eliciting a gasp from the elflings, but then part of the flame separated itself from the wick and began floating towards them. As it neared, the twins involuntarily stepped back but stopped in wonder as the flame turned into a butterfly, and then into several butterflies that flew about the children’s heads, much to their delight, before dissolving into nothingness. Esteliel jumped up and down clapping her hands in delight, while Elros, quieter than his sister, stared at Olórin in open awe, bordering on hero-worship.

Olórin glanced up at Elrond, who gave him a wry look. “You never did that for my other children. Elrohir and Elladan will be jealous when these two tell them all about it.”

Olórin laughed as he stood up. “No doubt, but I’m sure they’ll get over it.”

Amid the laughter that followed Celebrían said, “Perhaps we can all sit down now before the food gets cold. Elros, Esteliel, come and take your place.”

As they entered the dining room, Melian asked, “Will not Elrohir and Elladan be joining us? And where is Erestor? I’m surprised he isn’t here to greet Olórin.”

Elrond answered as he pulled a chair out for her. “Erestor is in Kortirion on some business for me and will be sorry to have missed seeing Mithrandir again and Elrohir and Elladan have taken their families to visit their grandparents.”

Melian looked up at Elrond in surprise. “I didn’t think they would return to Alqualondë so soon after Vinyarië, having just been there.”

 Elrond smiled at her. “They are not in Alqualondë and they are not visiting Celebrían’s parents.”

It took a moment for Melian to realize what Elrond was saying. “Ah, yes, of course. It’s rather a long way for elflings, though, isn’t it?” she said.

“My sons thought the trip would be...beneficial for them all,” Elrond answered with an amused glint in his eyes.

Melian hid a smile as she nodded in understanding. Elrohir and Elladan were ever restless and spent much time exploring Valinor. Their own brood of elflings were equally restless. A visit to Elwing’s tower, likely to last a number of years, would indeed be beneficial for all concerned.

While the ban prohibiting the exiled Noldor from living anywhere but Tol Eressëa held, that did not necessarily hold true for the Sindar and Nandor who had come to Valinor after the War of Wrath, though most preferred living either on the island or in and around Alqualondë. Nor did the ban preclude anyone, the Noldor included, from visiting various parts of Valinor, especially Valmar or even Ilmarin.

For those elves who came to Mandos from Middle-earth, even the Noldor, once they were reimbodied, their innocence was restored and they were free to live where they wished. Many of the Noldor, such as Finrod, returned to Tirion-on-Túna, but some chose to live elsewhere. Gil-galad, for instance, had removed to Kortirion where he was claimed by all who lived on Tol Eressëa as their high king.

As the servants waited on them Elrond turned to Olórin. “Celebrían told me you and Melian must leave directly after dinner. Surely you can stay the night.”

“I would like nothing better, mellon nîn, but Manwë was quite insistent that we be at Ilmarin by dawn.”

“And Mithrandir came all this way just to escort you back to Taniquetil?” Glorfindel asked Melian.

But it was Olórin who answered shaking his head. “No. I was coming here at any rate on other business when Manwë asked me to speak to Melian.”

“And what other business do you have, if I may be so bold to ask?” Glorfindel countered, though his tone remained respectful.

Olórin smiled. “My original business is with you, Glorfindel. You and Elrond.”

The two elf-lords started, their expressions of surprise nearly identical, causing Celebrían to laugh. Elrond was the first to recover.

“And what business would you have with us, mellon nîn?” he said in a casual tone, for he had noticed that the elflings were suddenly quiet, with looks of confusion on their faces, as they attempted to cipher out what the adults were saying to one another.

Olórin’s expression became momentarily grave as he took note of the twins as well, but then he forced himself to smile. “Business that should not be discussed while enjoying such a fine meal. Business that can wait until after, but I must speak to the both of you tonight before we set sail.”

Elrond nodded. “Then we will speak no further of this until you are ready to do so Mithrandir. But what of you, Melian? Why has Manwë asked for you?”

Melian shook her head. “I have no idea, nor does Olórin, but Manwë could have simply spoken to me mind-to-mind and I would have answered in kind, so either what he has to say to me isn’t all that important, or so important that he can only speak to me about it face-to-face.”

“A night of mysteries,” Glorfindel said with a deadpan expression. “I do so hate mysteries.” The others laughed and soon the conversation turned to more congenial topics.

When dinner was over Elrond led Olórin and Glorfindel to his study while Melian and Celebrían went into the gathering room with the elflings where they sat before a brightly burning fire. This was where the family would come together with friends to sing and dance and tell tales. Celebrían took a lap harp and began strumming on it softly. Melian watched her as she sipped some wine. Elrond’s wife was radiant, her features glowing with health and happiness in the firelight. It had not always been so.

For the longest time after Celebrían had arrived on one of Círdan’s grey ships, the granddaughter of Finarfin was a pale, listless woman who was definitely fading. Prior to Celebrían’s coming, Melian had since moved back to Valmar where she had taken up some of her former duties, though she still refused to dance. Elu had been released from Mandos for some time now and the initial reunion had been both joyful and awkward. Joyful for they truly loved one another and the time apart had been hard for them both, but it had also been awkward, for Melian began to realize that while in the Halls of Waiting Elu had moved beyond himself and his mistakes. He had regained his original innocence, which Melian was hesitant to destroy with her own feelings of pain and resentment that still lingered within her. She, unlike Elu, did not have the benefit of Mandos’ healing, for she was a Maia and such healing was not for her.

At first she and Elu had stayed together, first in Lórien and then later in Alqualondë when Elu decided it was time to reunite with his brother, but as time went on she began to realize that there was nothing that truly kept them together, for Lúthien was lost to them and even their daughter’s descendents had their own lives to live.

Shortly after Celebrían’s arrival, though, Finarfin himself traveled to Valmar to seek out Melian and ask her to help in the healing of his granddaughter. Melian agreed and soon found herself traveling to Tirion-on-Túna to become Celebrían’s companion.

When she first saw Celebrían, she was shocked at how faded the elleth had become and she feared that the poor child would become another Míriel, but with careful tending, Celebrían began to blossom, to take an interest in life and her surroundings again so that by the time Elrond arrived at the end of the Third Age, she was nearly whole and healed. Melian had thought to return to Valmar before that, but word reached her from Manwë that Elrond had sailed without any of his children and wanted her to remain by Celebrían’s side when she received the news. Melian knew that such news might cause a serious relapse in Celebrían’s recovery, so she agreed. The meeting between Elrond and his wife had been heartbreaking and the fact that only her naneth had sailed and that her own adar had remained behind had made it worse.

To put it mildly, Celebrían went a little mad. She refused to allow Elrond near her, and Galadriel had no patience with her daughter’s “hysteria”, as she called it. Melian didn’t blame her, but Galadriel’s attitude hadn’t helped. It had been a difficult time for all and it was long before Celebrían forgave her husband for “abandoning” her children, as she called it, especially her daughter. Melian’s own feelings were mixed, for she could sympathize with Celebrían, yet unresolved emotions over the loss of Lúthien threatened to make Melian’s attempts to help Celebrían fail at times.

Oddly enough, it had been the two periannath accompanying Elrond, Galadriel and her old friend Olórin who had proved to be the most help, especially Frodo, who spent hours talking to Celebrían, telling her stories of her children, covering both major and minor events — Elrohir and Elladan at the Council of Elrond, and later teasing “Estel” about being called “Strider” by the hobbits; Arwen showing Frodo the king’s banner she had been embroidering in secret, a secret she shared with him alone; Elrohir and Elladan joining Aragorn on his journey along the Paths of the Dead and the deeds they performed during the War and afterward; Aragorn’s coronation and subsequent marriage to Arwen. Even the older perian, Bilbo, occasionally added a word or two about her children’s exploits, for he had lived in Imladris for many years and had grown to know Elrond’s household intimately.

For some reason, these tales, told with such earnestness by the two hobbits, had helped Celebrían come to terms with her children’s choices, but it was long before she agreed to come to Imladris ’Wain and take up her duties as Elrond’s lady. It was really only when the Ice Wars forced Celeborn, Elladan and Elrohir to flee Middle-earth along with many of the remaining elves, and so were reunited with their family, that Celebrían finally allowed herself to be healed, or as healed as she was ever likely to be. She never fully accepted her daughter’s decision, but knew that there was nothing she could do about it. All she could do was to take joy and comfort in the knowledge that the rest of her family was finally together and, more importantly, safe.

Elrond and Celebrían had celebrated that fact by having the two elflings who now cuddled against her listening to their nana play the harp.

After an hour, the men joined them in the gathering room, but what business Olórin had had with them remained unspoken. Olórin and Melian remained for another half hour before they said their goodbyes, much to the disappointment of the twins. Both Maiar had to promise everyone that they would return very soon and visit for longer.

“There’s some place I wish to see before we head for Tavrobel,” Olórin said quietly as they left the house.

Melian glanced at her friend with a questioning look but Olórin merely smiled. Shrugging in compliance, she allowed Olórin to take the lead. They had not gone very far when Melian began to guess where they were going. Not far from the outskirts of the village was a small building set in a lovely garden, a garden tended by all who lived in Imladris ’Wain. An eternal flame burned before the open doorway of the building, which consisted of a single room, where there were three small beds upon which lay the bodies of the three Ringbearers, seemingly asleep, though Melian knew that the fëar that had dwelt in these bodies had long since fled, to where, she could not say, but she said a quick prayer that wherever they had gone, her own daughter was with them. It was the Yana Cormacolindoron, the Shrine of the Ringbearers. Melian knew that Elrond had insisted on placing their biers here outside Imladris ’Wain, rather than in Kortirion or even Ilmarin, as many, even some of the Valar, had insisted. Olórin and Galadriel, though, had sided with Elrond, and in the end Manwë had decided in favor of placing the shrine at Imladris ’Wain. Indeed, when the time came to hallow the last resting place of the Ringbearers, Manwë himself came to perform the ceremony.

Bilbo lay between Frodo and Sam, all three clothed in elvish garb. None of the bodies were corrupted, even after all these millennia. There was no light in the shrine, yet a gentle glow permeated the walls and surrounded the bodies, exuding peace. The two Maiar stood silently for a time gazing at the three bodies, each lost in his or her own thoughts and memories.

Then, as one, Olórin bowed and Melian curtsied deeply and with reverence before leaving. Within the hour they reached the port of Tavrobel and boarded the swan-ship that would take them across the Bay of Eldamar.

****

Ada/adar: papa/father.

Nana/nana: mama/mother.

Daernana/daernaneth: grandmama/grandmother.

A/N: Imladris ’Wain is of course completely imaginary, however, the description of Tol Eressëa’s geography is based on the map of the island found in Karen Wynn Fonstad’s The Atlas of Middle-earth.

Whether or if Celeborn, Elladan and Elrohir ever sailed to the Undying Lands is nowhere mentioned in the canon, however, for purposes of this story, I have had them leave Middle-earth at the beginning of the Ice Age which destroyed the previous civilizations of Men and Elves. This Ice Age ended suddenly 13,000 years ago when the south polar ice cap melted, causing massive tidal waves throughout the world. The glacial period in the northern hemisphere came to an end some 2,000 years later, allowing for the subsequent rise of the Sumerian civilization, which herald the dawn of our own modern civilization, about 6,000 years ago.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List