Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Twenty-One: Rosie-lass

Rosie-lass was born today, dear! Such a beautiful baby I don’t think I’ve seen, excepting perhaps her older sister. She is a wonder to behold. The midwife cut the cord, then handed her first to Rose and then to me. I didn’t want to let her go. I kissed her head and touched that small tuft of blond hair and looked into those lovely green eyes. I thought my heart would burst with all the joy and love in me. How I wish you could have seen her, dear! But I think you did somehow. You told me she was coming, didn’t you and you were right.  Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin were there too and their hearts just melted.  How we miss you, that you are missing all of this, but we know you are still with us.

It was another long labor so this is all I’m going to write tonight. I want to do nothing but stare at my little lass in her cradle, but I’m that tired, I’d just fall over so I think I’d best just seek my bed instead.

Goodnight, my dear. Sleep well. I love you.

* * *

My dear Sam, you had another lass born to you, haven’t you? How do I do know? Perhaps a little bird told me - remember that rhyme that we used to hear?

"O look ye out the window,

See the little birdie,

Sitting on his perch there in the old oak tree,

Always watching, list'ning,

While the world's so busy.

“O listen and I'll tell you what the bird told me:

Sister's gone to gather flowers for the table,

Mother's gone to town to buy sweet cakes and tea;

Father's in the garden

Brother's in the stable,

And Baby's in the cradle, sleeping peacefully.”

But I’ll be honest, I saw my new niece in a dream and she is so beautiful! But of course, that’s no surprise considering who her parents are - and I’m not talking just about Rose, dearheart. I heard another, new part of the Song one morning when her life began so I probably knew I was an uncle again before you knew you were a father, but I wasn’t sure what I heard until now. Oh, my Sam, I am so thrilled for you! This morning I sang to her in thanks for her birth and her gift to me - this is the first time I’ve danced since Aragorn’s wedding and it was a joyous little jig around my favorite tree. I wish I was there to be with you and her, but I hope you will somehow hear my voice and know that my love will be with you two - you five! - even though I can’t be.

Enjoy your new lass, dearest. There are more coming too and lads. Enough to fill your heart to bursting with all the joy and happiness you deserve. I love you.

A/N: Frodo’s loving gift to his niece is from Galadriel.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List