Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Light in this Dark World  by Elanor Silmariën

I have a small star in the dark sky of my heart now, a bit of light shining brightly through the clouds. Sam and Rosie had their first child a few days ago, a lass they have named Elanor at my suggestion.

I am sitting in my favorite chair by the fire in the parlor, holding the beautiful baby in my arms. I see Sam smiling out of the corner of my eye, happy that I am happy. Little Elanor looks so much like her parents. She has her mother's features, and her father's loving eyes.

The clock on the mantle strikes eight and Rosie stands up. "I think I should get Ellie to bed before I start supper," she says, and I see Sam watching me anxiously.

Quietly I hand the child up to her mother and say, "Thank you Rosie."

She smiles at me, then turns and leaves the room to put Elanor down. Rosie has the most enchainting smile of any hobbit I have ever met. When she smiles it reminds me of the Elf-maidens in Lothlorien. She has passed that smile down to her daughter.

Sam comes over to me and sits by my feet. I know he sees the smile fading from my face, and says, "Let's go help Rosie with suppper, dear."

I nod and follow him into the kitchen. We begin to set the table, and the light slowly fades from my grip. I know Sam notices because he says, "We're almost done here, Frodo. You should sit down."

"Are you sure, Sam?" I ask.

"Yes. You're tired. We've had a busy week," he says. "I can take it from here."

I hug Sam tightly, and feel like I never want to let go. But I do, and head to the study for a few moments alone before supper. I sit back in my desk chair and try to hold onto the moments of happiness I had with little Elanor.

I did everything for her and the rest of Middle-earth. I know that Elanor, Rosie, and Sam are the reasons I must hold on until my time to leave comes.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List