Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pride Goes Before a Fall...Or a Farmer's Dogs  by Elanor Silmariën

Daisy answered the door when Frodo knocked. "Oh, Mr. Frodo, do come in!"

"Thank you, Daisy. Is Sam here?" he replied, looking down the hall and not seeing her blush. "I was wondering if he'd like to hear a story from Uncle Bilbo."

"Yes, let me go fetch 'im for you," she dashed off down the hall to find her younger brother.

A moment later, Sam walked out of the back room, and stopped when he saw Frodo.

"Do you want to come hear a story with me? Uncle Bilbo was planning on telling us about when he was in Mirkwood today." Frodo noticed the boy hesitate, then smiled at Frodo shyly, and said, "I'd like that." He turned to his mother, sitting by the fire knitting. "Can I go, Mum?"

"I can bring him back home when we're done, Mrs. Gamgee," Frodo stated.

"All right. Just don't pester Mr. Bilbo with too many questions!" she said as the two boys walked out the door.

Neither of them spoke as they walked back up the hill, and when they reached Bag End, Frodo told Sam to go on into the parlor. Sam hurried in, and sat in his usual spot on the couch. Bilbo smiled at him . "Where's Frodo?" he asked.

"He said he'd be comin' in a minute."

As Sam spoke Frodo entered the room with something in his hands. He stood between Bilbo's chair and the couch. "I want you both to know that living here has made me happier than I've been since my parents died," he began, then paused. "With the exception of Merry being born, of course. After talking with you, Uncle, I've realized that coming here isn't just a move across the Shire, but it should also be a move towards regaining the life I had before the accident. I've neer had better friends than you, Sam, and you Uncle Bilbo."

Sam saw tears coming to both Frodo's and Bilbo's eyes.

"And with that, I give this to you, Uncle." He handed his Uncle the pipe and his pouch of pipeweed. Then he turned to Sam. "I'm sorry I made you worry, Sam. I didn't mean to."

Sam stood up and wrapped his arms around Frodo's waist. "It's all right, Frodo," he said. "I know you didn't."

Frodo hugged him back and kissed the top of his head. "I am so glad you're my friend, despite what your Gaffer says about it." Somehow he knew deep in his heart that Sam was going to be his best friend forever.

Sam smiled.

Then Frodo let go and said, "Now shall we hear a story?"

Sam nodded enthusiastically. "Yes sir!"

~ The End ~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List