Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ten Thousand Years Will Not Suffice  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Twenty-Six - Third Age 3019 - Part Three

March 4, 3019

“So we have no hope from Théoden? Rohan will not come?” The news that Denethor shared this red-streaked morn, of great struggle within Rohan, caught the Warden by surprise. He knew of the battle where Théodred had lost his life, but he could not believe that all hope was lost. “They will come if they may. Théoden promised.”

Despair flirted with the Steward of Gondor, danced before his eyes as he remembered what the Palantír revealed in the night. Though the moon was not yet full, still Denethor could see a little as he peered, close to the midnight hour, at the road that led from Isengard to Helm Hammerhand’s stronghold. What he did see turned his heart into ice. Great torches lit up the night as a horde of evil marched towards Helm’s Deep. Théoden had not a hope, of that Denethor was sure. He turned cold eyes towards his Warden.

Húrin shuddered. He ceased his questioning. “I have received no missives from Faramir.”

“Did you know, Húrin, that Helm lost both his sons before he died? He himself froze to death.”

A fey look came into Denethor’s eyes and Húrin quickly strode to his friend and cousin, and knelt at his side. “You will not lose Faramir.”

“I have already lost part of him,” Denethor whispered, “to the Wizard.”

“No, my Lord. Faramir is his own man.”

At that, Denethor looked up, hope writ plain upon his face. “He is that. He will take no reproach from me, why should he obey a wizard?”

“He will not. Of that you can be assured.”

“Bring the plans for the evacuation.” Húrin saluted and left.

Denethor stood and walked to the fireplace. As he turned, he remembered his youngest. Faramir left two days prior, but the leaving had not been as Denethor wanted.

“Take your rest, Faramir. Tomorrow, ere Anor breaks, I need you away to Osgiliath.”

“Is not Húrin joining us for the daymeal?”

“He will. But you are weary and need not tarry here. Order a meal brought to your rooms.” Denethor looked up from the papers he was signing. “Have you played of late?” His mirth at Faramir’s incomprehension turned quickly to sorrow as Faramir’s eyes misted. He swore at himself for the misspoken word. Faramir obviously had thought of playing as a child with his brother. “I meant your harp. Have you played your harp of late?” he asked gently, “or did you leave it behind in Henneth Annûn?”

“I brought it home last year. Music would betray us. We sing now in whispers.”

Denethor’s brow furrowed. He remembered the sounds of singing that ghosted up from the depths of that hidden fortress, as his patrol would return by starlight. His heart saddened even further. For a Gondorian not to be able to sing with gusto… He found his mouth open as if trying to breathe. Shaking his head, he turned his attention back to his son. “Would you play for me?”

“Now?”

The note of incredulity in Faramir’s voice irked him. “There is no enemy here to prevent it.”

“I will fetch it.”

“Send Belegorn.” Turning back to his papers, Denethor signed another. Faramir pulled the bell and, when Belegorn arrived, sent him off. At last Denethor stood up, stretched and walked around the desk.

His aide entered with the small traveling harp, handed it to Faramir, and left Denethor’s study.

Faramir spent a few moments tuning the instrument, then ran a loving hand over the strings. “It has a beautiful sound; I am surprised it has survived the elements as I carried it about. It is well crafted.”

“Boromir knew quality when he saw it. He did give it to you?” At Faramir’s nod, he continued. “Beauty without strength is of little use to anyone.”

“A rose, Father?”

“It has thorns to protect it.”

“A babe?”

“It has… I fear even my sword will no longer protect the babes of Gondor.”

“When will you evacuate the City?”

Denethor walked to the sideboard and poured two glasses of wine; returning, he handed one to Faramir, then sat on the settle across from the fireplace and held the glass, twirling it absently. “Within the week.”

“Why so soon?”

Denethor’s cold stare made Faramir take in a quick breath.

‘Will the boy never stop his questioning?’ Denethor thought in fury, but his retort was stayed as Faramir began to strum the harp.

After a few moments Denethor asked, “What is that called? I know it not.”

“It is something I have been writing for a few years. It is not complete. I know not if it ever will be.”

“What do you call it?”

Faramir’s hands stayed as a deep blush spread up his neck and across his face. “The Lay of Finduilas,” he whispered.

After a long moment, Denethor said, “It has some merit. Is there more or is that all you were able to compose?”

The strings sang as Faramir answered with his harp.

Before very long, Denethor stood abruptly. “Go and rest now, Stop on the morrow, ere you leave for Osgiliath. I will have more information for you then.” The Steward walked quickly to his desk, took up some papers, and began to read them.

Faramir slumped for a moment, then stood, harp in hand, murmured a good night and left the room.

Sometime later, Denethor put his hands to his face and thought upon his Finduilas.

Húrin entered with rolls of parchment and, once again, Steward and Warden attacked the route for Minas Tirith’s refugees.

March 5, 3019

Denethor stepped back in surprise; a low sound escaped his lips. “What is this?’ he thought wildly. ‘What do you show me?’ But it was gone when once again the Steward looked into the stone.

His eyes widened, for the evil eyes that oft stared back at him, showed a measure of panic. Denethor held back a smirk, so it would not see. No use letting the creature that battled him on a daily basis know that Denethor had seen. The globe closed and the Steward dropped his hands.

True, he could have continued to use the Palantír. He did not need the one in Minas Morgul open to see, but he needed to stop and determine what exactly he had just seen, in the Witch-king’s globe, reflected somehow into his own.

Denethor covered it and walked slowly to the window, allowing his mind to settle. The sight had only lasted for a fraction of a moment. He needed to concentrate. Unseeing eyes looked out the window. The moon shone bright and close to full.

Small hands. That was his first impression. Small hands held a stone, curly hair framed the child-like face. Bright eyes that stirred some memory deep in his spirit looked out at him in fear. But he know it was not he that the little creature afeared, but the Witch-king himself. He scoured his memory, piecing everything that he could recall from the short encounter, into one coherent thought.

At last, as the enormity of it hit him, he stepped back in horror and leaned against the wall. ‘A Halfling,’ he mind screamed. ‘A Halfling holds another Palantír. But which one? And where?’ Judging by the look of surprised shock in his enemy’s eyes, it was not in Minas Morgul? Where then?

Vaguely, he remembered reading one of the Tomes on the Palantír in the Library. There were seven, in the beginning. Only two remained, he thought. ‘Ah,’ a shiver ran down his spine. ‘Orthanc; there was a stone left in Orthanc.’ But he had thought it had been lost long ago. Obviously, he was mistaken. The wizard, Saruman, had found it and learned how to use it. But it had to be by sorcery that he could wield it for the wizard had not the right, as the Steward of the High King had, to use it.

‘And now a Halfling peers through it! Why? How? Why would Saruman let another use it? Why would a Halfling even be in Orthanc? Surely not as a guest? A prisoner then? But why? What could a Halfling offer the Witch-king, let alone the wizard?’

A low groan left him as he remembered Faramir’s dream. ‘For Isildur's Bane shall waken, And the Halfling forth shall stand.’ Denethor moaned again, “By Elbereth!” Was the Halfling the carrier of the thing that caused Isildur’s downfall? Could this same Halfling have caused Boromir’s death? Denethor shook. His head reeled as grief once again assailed him. “Boromir, my Boromir!”

He quieted, after a time, and once grief was set aside, the enormity of his discovery overwhelmed him. ‘Saruman has the Halfling and the Halfling has given it, freely or forced it matters not, the Halfling has given it to the wizard. Denethor slumped to the floor; despair gripped him. He fought it, fought it with all his being.

‘The Halfling is at Orthanc. Perhaps there is still hope. They must bring it to the Nameless One.’ Saruman would come through Gondor, carrying it with him. And Denethor would be waiting. He could easily follow their progress, once they entered his realm. He would pull men away from the southern and western garrisons, cut the roster in half at the beacons, and spread them along his borders. Once he caught sight of them, he would bring his force together and attack. Then, the weapon that was so highly prized by so many would be his!

He locked the room and returned to his study, bringing Belegorn into the room with him. “Send for Húrin and my captains. And for Hirgon as well. I need them here immediately.”

“It is the middle of the night, my Lord.”

“Go!” he shouted, ran to his bedchamber and quickly disrobed, laved his face and neck, and changed his clothes. He ran his hand through his hair and returned to his study. There stood Húrin.

“My Lord?”

“Wait until the others arrive.”

Húrin watched in surprise as the Steward pulled out the parchments containing the troop rosters for the southern fiefdoms, then those for the beacon hills. They had finished apportioning men only a week ago. What could Denethor want with them now?

The captains entered and Denethor told them of his plan. Startled, they saluted and obeyed, but Húrin again wondered, for the hundredth time, how and where his Steward gleaned such incredible information.

After the captains left, Denethor turned to Hirgon. “I have a message for Faramir, but I want it delivered to him in person, by you. And I want it spoken. Remind him of my edict: none may cross Ithilien without a pass, upon pain of death. No one, Hirgon. Even though they appear small and helpless, without a pass, they must be put to death.”

Hirgon saluted. “I will speak the message to Faramir on the morrow, my Lord.”

“Return as soon as it is delivered. I may have need for you.”

March 8, 3019

Húrin came in, followed closely by Hirgon. The errand-rider saluted and waited.

“Hirgon. What news do you bring? Faramir should have made contact with the enemy yesternoon at the latest.”

“There was a battle in Ithilien as you foretold, my Lord Steward. Here is Captain Faramir’s missive. It was sent early this morning.”

Denethor scowled, took the parchment and waved off Hirgon. “I will send for you when I have completed my reply.” The errand-rider saluted and left. “I cannot understand why the battle should have lasted overlong.” The scowl had not left Denethor’s face. “The strategy planned should have had it done and over with in hours. What could have caused Faramir to wait so long to write?”

At Denethor’s direction, Húrin sat on the settle. “Battles are fortuitous things. They do not always do what we wish or plan. Perhaps an explanation is in the missive.” A smile graced the Warden’s face.

“Would you mock me, Húrin?”

Standing swiftly, Húrin saluted. “I would not, my Lord Steward. Never. I apologize. Profusely.”

The Steward spread the parchment open and read quietly. After a time, he raised his head. “A mûmak. I had not seen… I had no report of a mûmak. But Faramir and his men seem to have come through the battle unscathed.”

“And won?”

“How does one win against a mûmak?”

“You did, once. And so did Boromir.”

“Always by some chance. Fate stepped in and saved me. The same was true for Boromir. Now, fate shines upon my only son.” He swallowed hard. “He seems to have survived his encounter. Along with many of his men.”

“Then why do you glower?”

“Firstly, the battle was yesterday. Yet, he does not send a missive until now?” Denethor shook his head. “Something in what he writes gives me cause for concern. I cannot grasp what it is, but all is not as he notes.”

“Shall I send another rider? Would you have me recall him?”

“Nay. Neither.” A heavy sigh sounded as Denethor rubbed his forehead with his fingers.

Belegorn entered with a servant and began helping to spread out the nuncheon meal.

After both men removed themselves from the room, Denethor moved to the table, urging Húrin to join him. “The list,” Denethor said.

“Might we not eat before discussing it? I have a weak stomach.”

“Denethor grimaced. “Weak indeed. I have seen you eat… We both know a soldier would die of starvation with a weak stomach. All we see and do, and yet we must stop, forget it, and take our daymeal else the others eat it.”

Húrin chuckled. “Yes. A laggard would starve in Gondor’s army.”

“Any army,” Denethor barely smiled. “We will leave the list till after nuncheon. By the by, have you heard aught of the farmers we brought from Anórien?”

“According to Hirgon, all is well. The summer crops are planted.” A sharp hiss from Denethor, and Húrin ceased speaking. “My Lord?”

“Nothing.” But it was not nothing. Denethor’s mind reeled as he recalled his vision of a raped and pillaged Pelennor. There would be no crop left to harvest. He wondered if he should say something, tell Húrin what he had seen. At last, he continued with his meal.

When they were finished, Denethor retired to his study. Húrin, ordered to bring the latest list, returned within a short time. Denethor rolled open the first parchment and heaved a sigh. “It is as if we run circles around ourselves, chasing after our tales as dogs do, and yet, not one item on this list is completed.”

“Most are nearly complete. We cannot do further on some things. The evacuation for example,” Húrin ventured to say. “The road has been divided into three parts: one for carts, one for wagons and one for horses. The staging areas are set, and all know where they are to report. I think, Denethor, that we can cross this off.”

“Then the Rammas by the North Gate. Is that near to completion?”

“Ingold and his men are working on it. He is competent. It will be done.”

“The water supply on the first level. Is it sufficient?”

“If the enemy uses fire--”

“Not if,” Denethor interrupted him. “He will use it. He will use catapults to fling fireballs over our walls and we must have enough water for the crews to quench them before we lose the city to fire.”

“Tubs have been set up all along the wall, just as you instructed, every one hundred yards. The young boys who will be staying will be used as runners and will watch for fires. They will sound the alarm. We have sufficient water ready.”

“How many boys?”

“At least thirty. I would more, for that means each boy must watch over one hundred yards. If possible, I would prefer ninety, but I will not know until the evacuation is complete and we see who remains.”

“That is a questionable strategy; we cannot leave that part of our defense unknown. Conscript the boys. And make it at least one hundred. We must needs have replacements for those who fall.”

Húrin shuddered at the thought. The women would be wild. So many of Gondor’s young boys were already in the esquires. Now Denethor would take even more away from their mothers. Yet, what could they do? He resigned himself to it. “I will conscript one hundred and thirty. That way, each boy will cover one rod with ten more boys for substitutes and ten for running errands and missives. That would leave thirty for whatever comes along.”

“My esquire has requested permission to join the main guard. I think it best if we use the esquires for more important duties than standing by their lords’ sides. Send them all off and use the boys you conscript as esquires.”

“It will be done.”

“I would inspect the First Level and the trebuchet stations. When is the next practice run for the trebuchet?”

“First bell. Before the daymeal.”

“Good then let us go and watch Number Seven. I would see what Ragnor does with what men he has left.”

~*~

Before they were even returned to the Citadel, Hirgon found him. “My Lord Steward,” the captain saluted, “an errand-rider awaits in the Great Hall.”

“From?”

“The South. Pelargir.”

Denethor’s face went white. He had been so fixed on the doings to the North and the West, that he had neglected the South these past two days. He walked swiftly to the Tower and entered. The Chamberlain greeted him at the door.

“My Lord, the rider from Pelargir was wounded and near-spent. His horse died ere he reached the Great Gate. One of your personal guards brought him hither. Forgive my presumption, but I sent him to your study.”

Denethor’s eyes widened. “Grave news then.” He turned and ran to his study, flung open the door, and stopped. The rider sat, bent over in one of the great stuffed chairs that adorned Denethor’s room, blood showing through this leather armor. His shoulders shook and Denethor had to calm himself before he walked to the sideboard and poured whiskey into a glass, then offered it to the man. The soldier tried to stand, but Denethor stayed him with a hand. “Drink this,” he commanded, then sat at his desk.

The soldier gulped the spirits down, then sat looking forlornly at the glass. Denethor watched, knowing full well the news the rider brought.

“Pelargir has fallen, my Lord,” the soldier finally stood. Denethor noted his legs wobbled. He took the proffered pouch and opened it. He recognized the firm handwriting of Captain Gelmir. He looked up.

“Captain Gelmir’s head is on a pike in the center of the city.”

Denethor lowered his head and continued reading.

“Forgive me, my Lord. They were upon us in the night. Though there is no excuse for my failure. There were too many and they had strange fire weapons, balls that opened and shout out fire and death. Beware of them! I have not seen the like before. The city itself has fallen; I hold the fort, but not for long. They have surrounded it. A battering beast pounds the gate even as I write this missive. It will not stand. Forgive me. Your servant, Gelmir, Captain.”

Denethor sat back for perhaps a quarter of an hour. The rider had returned to his seat, his head in his hands. “Go to your captain and report, then take yourself to the Houses and have that wound looked after. Tell Hirgon you are relieved for the rest of the day.” The soldier saluted and left. Denethor pulled on the handbell and heard it ring somewhere off in the distance. Belegorn entered and stood, waiting. “Send for Hirgon.”

After a half hour, the Captain of the Errand-riders stood before his Steward. “Hirgon, has there been any word from Lamedon, from Angbor?”

“Nay, my Lord. I will send a rider.”

He wrote a quick note, folded it, and handed it to his captain. “Give this to another. Stay near. I will need you soon.”

Hirgon turned to leave. “Wait! The rider from Pelargir. How fares he?”

“He is dead, my Lord.” Denethor nodded and Hirgon saluted and left.

Húrin entered but a few moments later. “Your Chamberlain sent for me.”

“The man has wit. Pelargir has been taken. Captain Gelmir is dead.”

“The Corsairs sail to Minas Tirith?”

“Not yet. They will ransack the city, spend a few days, at the least, raping and pillaging, taking the spoils of my people. They will probably be at the Harland in less than a week. Though, to our advantage, the wind is against them, for the nonce.”

“Angbor will not come?”

“No, he will not. He must stand and protect his own lands and people. If I know him, he will send a force to the Gilrain and fight there. It might slow the ships a bit.”

“That is a dire blow.”

“It is. It means we must rely on Théoden and we both know he has his own troubles. If Helm’s Deep is encircled, he could be imprisoned there for months. Though, I doubt the Enemy would let him stop his progress thusly. Nay, I think Théoden dead.” He closed his eyes, remembering the sight of Thorongil riding next to the King of Rohan. ‘He is probably dead also. I suppose that thought should fill me with delight, though the friendship the Northerner and I once shared is gone, I loved him, at the time.’

“Should I send further men to the Harland?”

“Nay. We have none to spare. Húrin, send the order to light the beacon at nightfall. Use the white smoke. All the beacons are to be lit.”

Húrin fell into a nearby chair. “My Lord,” he groaned.

“I relied upon the strength of Lamedon. We are now bereft of Angbor’s forces. Send the order and have Captain Hirgon sent to me.”

Húrin nodded, opened the door and spoke to Belegorn. He turned then, with tears in his eyes, and stared long and hard at his cousin, his friend, his Lord. “I will order the beacons lit.” Saluting, he left the room.

Denethor stood and walked to the window that overlooked the Courtyard. He watched as the dead branches of the White Tree swayed in the strong north winds. Shaking his head, he moved to a cupboard on the near wall and pulled out a lebethron box. He blew the dust from its lid and opened it. The stench of long-trapped air caused him to hold the box away from him for a moment, then he pulled back the black covering and looked down upon the Red Arrow.

It stared back at him, seeming as impotent as the Stone at rest, but Denethor knew when this simple token was placed in Theoden’s hand, if the King of Rohan yet lived, the man would stumble at the thought of its import.

What number of men Rohan would be able to muster after the devastation of the battles at the Fords and the Deep, Denethor could not even fathom, but he was desperate, now that he had lost Pelargir and the promise of Angbor’s men. ‘If I had known, I would have lit the fires earlier. Yet, what good with Theoden fighting his own battles.”

When Hirgon entered, he found Denethor sitting at his desk. “My Lord?”

“Your last missive, Hirgon, then I will keep you by my side. You have been valiant and true. I could not have asked for a better captain. I know the missives I send are received, because of the faith and the duty your men feel towards you. I am sorry I have been lax in the friendship that belongs to you from your father. I would have it another way, but…”

“My Lord,” Hirgon interrupted. “I owe my allegiance to you. I owe my life to you. Know my men serve at your pleasure, not mine. It is you they revere. As do I. Ask what you will of us, we will obey.”

“Then take this to Rohan, Hirgon,” he held the Red Arrow before him and watched as his captain swayed at the sight and all but fell. “I know not if Théoden King yet lives, but take it to Edoras and give it to whomever is in charge.”

“My Lord,” the young captain sputtered, “I will see it done.” He groped for words, but none would come. There were no words to express his sorrow. And his great pride for being given such an errand. “If you do not object, I will not take esquires with me on this ride; I will take my best riders.”

“That is as it should be. Put someone you trust in command whilst you are gone. Then, when you receive Rohan’s answer, come swiftly back. I will be waiting.”

Hirgon saluted, turned to leave, then turned back to his Steward. “Thank you, my Lord,” he whispered in deep appreciation. “Thank you.”

Denethor rounded the desk and took the man in his arms. “Take care and return. I owe your father that much – to see that his son lives.”

Hirgon nodded and returned the embrace. “I will return in two days time.”

~*~

Serious problem with Palantir

Hello folks,

Being as this is based on Tolkien's work, and being that the man positively drives me wild with 'odd' stuff - like moon's not being in the right 'phase' for certain events.... And many other little discrepancies.....

Somehow - somewhere - I found a 'reference' to Denethor fighting, through the Palantir, with the Witch-king.

Then I went to a Moot in Pittsburgh last week-end, and was gently persuaded (from many better references than mine) that it was, in fact Sauron who battled Denethor.

Sooooooooooo---

Third Age 3019 - Chapter Two - has been revised to reflect that 'mistake' of mine. There was only one reference, but I truly try to make this as 'canon' and correct as possible.

So - from now on, unless dotage attacks me, Denethor is battlling the Nameless One.

Very sorry for this error.

HOWEVER - I did find this particular part (from the quote below from UT) VERY interesting..... nor had he any servant whose mental power were superior to Saruman's or even Denethor's.... 

Denethor could, after he had acquired the skill, learn much of distant events by the use of the Anor-stone alone, and even after Sauron became aware of his operations he could still do so, as long as he retained the strength to control his Stone to his own purposes, in spite of Sauron's attempt to "wrench" the Anor-stone always towards himself. It must also be considered that the Stones were only a small item in Sauron's vast designs and operations: a means of dominating and deluding two of his opponents, but he would not (and could not) have the Ithil-stone under perpetual observation. It was not his way to commit such instruments to the use of subordinates; nor had he any servant whose mental power were superior to Saruman's or even Denethor's.  Unfinished Tales:  Part IV: III THE PALANTÍRI

A/N – 1) Faramir’s dream can be found here: FotR: Book II; Chapter 2: The Council of Elrond; 2) There is a great amount of information on the Palantír, in the Palantír chapter (go figure) of HoMe: Book 8: Part One: VI: The Palantír. Also, there is much in the Silmarillion. Two people cannot read and agree upon what the Palantír can and cannot do. Therefore, I feel a measure of freedom in this respect; 3) It seems the Palantír of Orthanc was quite powerful, per Aragorn. ‘But the Palantír of Orthanc the King will keep, to see what is passing in his realm, and what his servants are doing.’ RotK: Book VI: Chapter Six: Many Partings. 4) As to whether or not Pippin was seen by Denethor…. I have always been intrigue by this little bit in RotK – ‘Pippin sat down, but he could not take his eyes from the old lord. Was it so, or had he only imagined it, that as he spoke of the Stones a sudden gleam of his eye had glanced upon Pippin's face?’ Isn’t that a delicious quote? Doesn’t it just make you wonder? Well, I couldn’t stop wondering and finally considered that Denethor might have ‘seen’ Pippin while the Hobbit was ‘caught’ by Sauron. RotK: Book V: Chapter One: Minas Tirith; 5) And lastly, did Denethor know of the existence of the Ring or some such weapon? It seems to me he must have, if one reads the discussion between Denethor and Gandalf in RotK. One such part, as spoken by Denethor: “But most surely not for any argument would he have set this thing at a hazard beyond all but a fool's hope, risking our utter ruin, if the Enemy should recover what he lost. Nay, it should have been kept, hidden, hidden dark and deep. Not used, I say, unless at the uttermost end of need, but set beyond his grasp, save by a victory so final that what then befell would not trouble us, being dead.” RotK: Book V: Chapter Four: The Siege of Gondor; 6) ‘But soon Pippin saw that all was in fact well-ordered: the wains were moving in three lines, one swifter drawn by horses; another slower, great waggons with fair housings of many colours, drawn by oxen; and along the west rim of the road many smaller carts hauled by trudging men.’ RotK: Book V: Chapter 1: Minas Tirith; 7) According to Michael Perry in his ‘Untangling Tolkien,’ Théoden traveled as hidden as possible, to prevent the Enemy from seeing his troops and guessing they were going to Gondor’s aid. Unfortunately, this also meant Denethor probably could not see that the Rohirric army was, in fact, coming to Gondor; 8) The girth of Minas Tirith around the city at the First Level measured around 9,000 feet – almost 2 miles (or almost 2 furlongs or 80 rods or 300 yards depending upon what measurement you are using - Tolkien used rods and furlongs and such). According to Karen Wynn Fonstad’s Atlas of Middle-earth. That equates to about twenty-five football fields (US) long. A lot of territory to cover!!! {Measurements - 1 league = 3 miles; 1 mile =8 furlongs; 1 furlong = 40 rods; 1 rod = 6 paces (which in later days to provide consistency among surveyors was quantified as 5-1/2 yards); 1 pace = the length of a grown man's stride} (PS – a hearty thank you to Helmsdaughter for verifying my math on the placement of the boys around the inner wall of the City): 9) I won’t even go into the bells; they are insane, but you can find information on how they are used by googling for ship’s bells (which is the system I believe Tolkien used.); 10) Aragorn sees the Corsairs, in the Palantir, approaching Gondor on March 6th - It takes an errand-rider about 20 hours to make it from Pelargir to Minas Tirith. On March 13, Aragorn reached Pelargir, and the Dead swept over the Corsairs' ships and captured the fleet. http://www.tuckborough.net/towns.html#Pelargir; 11) Lebethron – Faramir states it is a precious wood of Gondor. RotK: Book IV: Chapter Six: The Forbidden Pool; 12) Meaning of import: Archaic. to be of consequence or importance to; concern. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/import





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List