Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

Fun, Work and Plans


The two young hobbit lasses were trying hard to be quiet, but their giggling made it difficult. With a great deal of nudging and shushing each other they arrived at their destination. Turning the knob and hoping the door would not squeak, they entered the room and, as quiet as any hobbit can, approached the large bed.

"See," one lass whispered, "I told you! That's him!"

"I see a male hobbit asleep in a bed, Topaz, what does that prove?"

"Aster, you ninny, look at how tall he is. And his hair, look at his hair, don't they always say how it's nearly golden? Just look at it Aster!"

"Well . . . yes, I guess it is rather golden brown looking, though it's hard to tell in this light." Aster leaned a bit closer to the head of hair on the pillow. "Maybe if I take hold of some so I can get a better look." She started to reach for a curl of the golden brown hair.

"No!" Topaz squeaked out in fear louder than she had intended. For a few heartbeats the two girls neither moved nor breathed. Finally daring to exhale Topaz shot Aster her most withering glare. "You ninny! You might have wakened him!"

"Well I'm not sure it's him, Topaz. You need do better than this."

Neither girl noticed as one eye on the supposedly sleeping hobbit cracked open the very slightly. A mere slit, but it was enough. He recognized the tone of voice the girl named Aster now used to her friend. Topaz was about to be talked into something foolish. If he timed things right, and he usually did, this could be quite fun.

"I don't think he's all that tall Topaz." Aster said.

"Of course he is, just look how long this bed is." Topaz untucked the bedding at the corner of the foot of the bed. "Look, you can see where we added to the mattress."

"I don't know, with nothing to compare him to . . . I know!" Aster said innocently, "Why don't you get on the bed next to him?"

"Aster!" Topaz was wide eyed with shock.

"Oh, really Topaz!" Aster admonished, "You'll be on top of the covers. He's underneath the covers. You're fully clothed." Aster's innocent tone returned, "No one could say anything was amiss. Just line your feet up with his so I can compare your heights, that's all. Perfectly innocent!" She started pushing Topaz around the bed to the other side where there was a little more space between the sleeper and the edge.

Topaz eased herself onto the edge of the bed as slowly and carefully as she could while Aster watched eagerly from the opposite side. Finally Topaz was stretched out her full length, having made sure her feet were even with those of the hobbit in the bed.

"No, it's not right yet." Aster criticized, "You're too far over. Move a bit closer to him."

"Aster!" Topaz whined, "No!"

"Just a bit, you don't need to be touching him or anything. Just a little closer that's all."

Aster meanwhile moved in closer to her side of the bed.

"Oh, bother you!" Topaz hissed as she moved several inches closer to the sleeper. She settled again and looked at Aster. "Is this good enough, Aster?"

"I think it might *be*!" Aster yelped as her wrist was suddenly grabbed.

Topaz screeched as the same thing happened to her.

Pippin had been watching Aster from under his eyelashes, waiting for the moment when she was fully absorbed in her own plan of suddenly waking him just as Topaz appeared to be snuggling up to him. He also knew where Topaz's arm was and grabbed her at the same instant. Both girls kept screeching and tried to pull their wrists free, but Pippin held them fast.

"Oh no you don't!" He said firmly. "Neither of you are getting out of this that easily!"

Pippin looked down into Topaz's terrified eyes. "You, Topaz North-took, what way is this to treat a male guest? Sneaking into my bed! Are you trying to get me into trouble with your sisters and brothers?"

Topaz couldn't say a word, she could barely shake her head no.

"No," Pippin continued, "No, 'tis not your fault anyway. But this one . . .” He paused as he turned to Aster who still fought to get free from his grip. She was trying valiantly, without success, to pry up his fingers. She froze as his attention turned to her.

"What kind of friend is this, Topaz who would have you get into a hobbit's bed with him?"

Aster slowly gathered herself together, let out the breath she had been holding and made an effort at a calm reply. ""Twas an experiment sir, ah, to see if . . . if you . . . if she . . .," her reply dwindled to nothing but her haughty look, and that was also fading.

"I seem to have over-heard something about proving how tall I am. Correct?"

Aster nearly looked relieved, "Yes sir! Exactly. 'Twas all to prove how tall you are."

"And why, pray tell me lass, is my height, or the lack of it, important to you?" Pippin struggled to hide his growing amusement. He was having a grand time.

"Ah, well . . .," Aster paused, then spilled forth everything. "She was trying to tell me that you are Peregrin Took, THE Peregrin Took. The Traveller and someday Took and Thain of the Shire, and sir really, what would such a person as that be doing here at Long Cleeve smial? So you see, sir I had to see how far she would go in this lie to me."

"What makes you so sure it's a lie? Do you think the '-took' on the end of North-took is there just for show?" Pippin said sternly.

"No sir." Came Aster's small reply.

"No is correct. They are kin to the Tooks of the West Farthing. And why wouldn't Peregrin Took choose to visit his kin?"

"I don't know sir."

Pippin let go of Topaz's arm and she nearly fell off the bed in her haste to get away from the embarrassing situation into which Aster had tricked her. "Topaz," Pippin felt rather sorry for her as she ran around the bed to stand by Aster. She was trembling and pale from her fright. "Get me my robe from the clothes tree, there's a good lass." She fetched the robe and handed it to Pippin.

"Now, Miss Aster . . . uh, what is your family name?" He looked at Aster.

"Tunnely, sir."

"Miss Aster Tunnely, why is my height important?"

"Surely you must know sir that Mr. Peregrin Took is supposed to be uncommon tall. Four foot six inches I've heard!"

Pippin grinned at the exaggeration. "Four foot, lass, only that." He sat up in the bed.

"If you young ladies will go and get a measuring tape from Topaz's sewing box we can settle this matter quite quickly."

Aster suddenly looked shy. "You could just tell me sir. I would trust your word as to who you are."

"Why should you?" Pippin smiled and chuckled. "I could be in on the whole scheme with Topaz. Her plot to drag you into a strange, grown hobbit's bedroom and make you look the fool." Both girls looked shocked, which was just what Pippin wanted. "And here you thought that you were going to make her look the fool for climbing into bed with me." He shook his head and sighed. "What ever shall you do now, Aster?"

Aster's face was pale and her look confused, her game had gone badly awry.

"Go and get the tape measure,” Pippin said. “I'll be up and in my robe when you get back." The girls quickly left the room, forgetting to close the door tight behind them and Pippin could hear; "I tell you he is!" and "I'm certain he isn't!" from out in the tunnel.

They returned to find Pippin up, robed and next to the foot stool that stood before the easy chair by the room's round window.

"One of you will need to stand on the foot stool." Pippin explained, "It should probably be Miss Aster that way she can be the one to read the tape."

Aster stepped up onto the stool with the length of tape in her hand while Topaz held the end to the floor at Pippin's heel. The tape was fed out, with Aster keeping constant check on Topaz to make sure she didn't pull extra down to the floor in order to add to the measurement. Aster wasn't at all sure she really wanted to see the number on the tape but she had to see this through. She smashed down the hair on top of Pippin's head, just to guard against any mis-measurement. Four feet. The numbers read four feet. Pippin could feel her disappointment, which quickly turned to embarrassment. She hopped down and backed away from him, eyes glued to the floor at her feet.

"Oh," he said smiling at her, "now you can't look me in the eye? Just a bit ago you had got my young cousin here into my bed and you were about to shake me awake, and now you can't look at me?" He tucked his forefinger under Aster's chin and raised her eyes up to meet his. "It nearly worked didn't it?" She nodded her head slowly, not quite understanding the twinkle in his eyes or tone of his voice. "The only problem was that I've been pulling such jests since before you were born and I had it quickly figured out." Aster was starting to realize this odd adult wasn't going to scold her. "I can give you some suggestions to improve your technique if you would like." Pippin's eyes were sparkling with mischief as he gave her his brightest smile. "

Aster clapped her hands. "Oh! Please do, sir! I could use all the help I can get!"

"No! You can't cousin Peregrin!" Topaz stamped her foot to emphasize her point. "She's bad enough as she is and you're my cousin, you should be helping me!"

"Well, if you're going to hear it all, none of it should be of much use against you, should it?" Pippin laughed. "No, this will be for use by you two together. Do you have any scores to settle with Adde and Bandy, Topaz?" Pippin knew quite well that older sisters had much to deal with from younger brothers.

Topaz's grin grew wicked. "I, actually Aster and I, have a good many, Peregrin. Will you really help us?"

"If you two will do me the honor of breakfasting with me," he said as he offered each girl an arm, "I will willingly tell you many tried and tested secrets of mischief making as used by two masters of the art, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took."

With Aster on his left and Topaz on his right, Pippin and the girls headed
off toward the kitchen.


Harvest had arrived and with it busy days at Long Cleeve Farm. Pippin felt more than ready to be of some use, and eagerly helped Isengrim, Adelard and Bandobras and their hired hands with the last cuttings of hay. It had not taken long for everyone to realize that Pippin's height made him the perfect choice for forking the hay up into the hayrack so he worked in the field that had been cut the day before following the wagon that followed the windrows. At elevenses each group of workers stayed in their own field, but all gathered together for luncheon. Isengrim dropped heavily to the ground beside Pippin in the shade of the elm trees and lilacs that made up the hedgerow.

"So cousin, do you think you'll make it to the end of the day?" Isengrim mopped his brow with his shirt-sleeve then handed his waterskin to Pippin.

"Why does everyone think I've never worked?" The look of offense on Pippin's face was betrayed by the chuckle in his voice. He took a long drink then continued. "My Father was a farmer in Whitwell, before becoming The Took and Thain. Although we had a good many hired hands, he always helped at planting and harvest, and I have too from the time I was fifteen. We help at harvest still as father says he doesn’t wish to forget he’s a farmer at heart. I admit I don’t put in anywhere near the amount of work you've invested in your land, but I can work a full day when I'm called upon."

"Quite alright Peregrin!" Isengrim thumped Pippin on the back, "I wouldn't want to be The Took and Thain, having all the relations and residents of Tuckborough bringing me their squabbles and property disputes to settle! Give me hay, wheat, oats and rye any day, at least they don't talk back!"

They ate in silence for a bit, letting the breeze cool them and the water soothe their throats.

"You'll be going to the Harvest Festival in Hobbiton with us, cousin?" Isengrim asked as he lit his pipe. There was time to let luncheon settle before heading back to work.

"Uh . . . well . . . of course!" The question had caught Pippin off guard. He had completely forgotten that the time of the Festival was near.

"You seem unsure, Peregrin." Isengrim turned to look Pippin in the eye. "Are you hesitant to show yourself in Hobbiton in our, or should I say in Diamond's, company?"

Pippin returned Isengrim's steady gaze. "Not at all, Isengrim. My only hesitancy comes from the reason I left those more familiar parts of the Shire and came to the North Farthing. It will be my pleasure to go in your family's, and Diamond's, company."

"Why did you come north? You've never said as far as I know, unless you've
told Diamond."

Pippin looked off into the distance toward the south where Hobbiton lay, many miles away. "No, I've told no one. Let it suffice to say I grew weary of some of the company I kept there and needed some time away from familiar faces and places." He shook himself and returned his eyes to Isengrim's. "Do you think Diamond would let me be her escort to the Festival Ball?"

A knowing grin grew on Isengrim's lips. "You are interested in her then?" The grin became a smile as Pippin looked down and grew noticeably redder in the face. "Topaz and Opal thought as much and we lads agreed once it was drawn to our attention." His smile faded though as he thought about his older sister. "I don't know, Peregrin. These affairs have been so hard on her for so long. If she has an escort then she will need to be where you are, sit with the people you choose to sit with," Isengrim now stared off into the distance and sighed, "and dance if you wish her to." He bowed his head and sighed again. " 'Twould do her good in many ways I think, if she'll have the courage to try it. She's been too long among the matrons hiding in her sad thoughts."

"You think I shouldn't ask her then?" Pippin quietly asked.

"I don't say that, no. Rather that you should be prepared for her to refuse your offer."

Pippin's face brightened as an idea came to him. "Maybe I can do something that might help my cause, Isengrim. Don't say anything to Diamond about the festival yet."

Isengrim smiled. "I will let you keep your secret, Peregrin, I only hope it works."

"So do I, cousin."

The rest of the day flew by for Pippin as he arranged all the details of his plan in his mind. He thought, no rather he hoped, that he understood Diamond well enough that he would be able to break through her resistance.

Pippin took a long, pleasant meal with the family and workers that evening, then excused himself saying he was a bit stiff in his ribs as well as more weary than he had expected to be. The next day, while the lads were in the fields, Topaz and Opal went into the town of Long Cleve. They went to the post office bearing letters addressed to Bag End in Hobbiton, Brandy Hall in Buckland, and to the Great Smials in Tookland. Peregrin Took was setting his plans into motion.


Please see Authors Note :)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List