Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

9 At the Festival Ball


Pippin and Diamond danced several dances. Once she was out on the dance floor, once her dreams became reality, once she and Peregrin were floating to the music she didn't want to stop. Pippin had to be assertive and firmly escort her back to where his family was sitting and insist she sit down when he noticed she was beginning to tire. They sat and visited while Pippin drank an ale and Diamond had some cider.

"Pippin my dearest cousin!” Merry exclaimed in an overly grandious tone, sounding like lasses do when they are putting on airs. He, Isengrim and Freddy Bolger approached the Took’s table. "You've spent absolutely no time with the lads! We know why of course," Merry winked at Diamond who was blushing, "but you really shouldn't desert us completely. Just one ale, come share one ale with us, dearest cousin, and we'll leave you with the fair Diamond."

Pippin’s family was laughing at Merry’s performance, Pippin hesitated, but Diamond spoke up. "Go ahead Peregrin. I want to speak with Rosie anyway. Come find me when you've had your fill of the lads’ bad jokes."

"Are you sure Diamond?" Pippin eyed her carefully trying to read her feelings.

"I'm certain. I need a few moments to talk with Rosie. I'll be fine." In truth she had started to feel a bit anxious and wanted a bit of reassurance from her new found friend.

Pippin stood and moved toward his friends. "All right then," he said. "If you're certain. I'll come and find you when I've taught these lads that they need to find lasses of their own to escort so they can leave me alone with mine."

The lads all laughed, grabbed Pippin and hauled him away.

Diamond couldn't find Rosie anywhere. She wandered around a bit then decided she was still thirsty and headed for the serving tables, sagging under their load of food and drink. She was reaching for a cup of cider when a hand reached out to stop her.

"You don't want that, dear. You want the warm, spiced cider, it's much better."

Diamond turned to find herself face to face with a hobbit maid she didn't know. The girl nodded her head to Diamond.

"I'm Persimmone Bolger." She said smiling.

"And I'm Diamond North-took of Long Cleeve."

"That's the most lovely gown you're wearing. Where ever did you get such a thing? It's so different." Persimmone covetously looked the dress up and down.

"Oh!" Diamond was more than happy to talk about her dress, "My escort, Peregrin Took, had it made for me especially for the Ball. There's a deep blue velvet cloak as well."

"How lovely! You must show it to me. You and Pippin looked quite stunning together."

Persimmone was quite amazed with how friendly she was able to sound . It surprised her that Diamond could not hear the sarcasm coating her words. "Here, let me get you some of the spiced cider, Diamond, it really is very good." Persimmone got a mug and handed it to Diamond, who took a small tentative sip.

"It tastes a bit odd for cider Persimmone." Diamond looked surprised.

"It's the spices dear, and that it's warm instead of chilled. That all makes it taste quite different." Persimmone explained to Diamond while she thought to herself, “It tastes that way because it's mulled wine you little nobody seamstress.” To Diamond she continued, "Drink it down fast, it tastes even better that way. Good! Now have another. Each one tastes better than the last!"

"Ummm!" Diamond said as she drank down the second mug of the mulled wine. "You're right! It does!"

"You know, Diamond," Persimmone said, picking up a third mug of wine and switching it with Diamond's empty one, "I've know Pippin Took a long time and I know what he's looking for in a lass. Well, actually, what he's looking for in a wife. I'll tell you if you're interested?"

Diamond was feeling warm. She was also feeling bolder than usual. "Certainly I'm interested!" Diamond said happily. "Who wouldn't be! Peregrin is wonderful!" She began to fan herself but the motion of her hand before her face was making her feel dizzy.

Persimmone noticed Diamond’s flushed cheeks and slight swaying. “Don't I know that he is!” Thought Persimmone, while aloud she said. "Well then, come over here with me and I'll share everything I know with you my dear!"

They walked over to a less crowded corner of the pavilion and sat at a table. Diamond, though still oddly warm, was feeling better and more relaxed than she had in a long time. She thought, yes, it was time she made her feelings known to Peregrin. She drained the third mug of wine and then looked at Persimmone with eager eyes. She blinked and squinted as Persimmone seem to be a bit blurry one moment though quite clear the next.

"Well first of all, Diamond, you must make it clear to him that he, if I may be so bold, arouses your desires. Do you know what I mean, dear?"

"Oh yes, Persimmone! No problem with that, he truly does that already.” A small hiccough popped out of Diamond’s throat. “I just didn't think it proper,” she gigled as she awkwardly leaned forward toward Persimmone, “to say anything."

"You must tell him and show him dear. Snuggle up to him. Get him to look at that necklace and your other charms."

Diamond’s hand went to the elegant necklace that rested on her chest. She giggled again. “My charms!” She looked down at her cleavage. “Yes, I do have those.”

Persimmone was enjoying this, it was all so easy. "Then you must assure him that you feel more than ready to be the Mistress of Great Smials. Point out to him how nice you look in such fine clothes and jewels."

"Yes, I can do that." Diamond laughed loudly, adding, “With my charms too. I lock . . . I lo . . . they’re nice in my gown too.”

"Yes, well. Quieter, Diamond. We don’t want to ruin things."

Diamond put her finger over her lips and nodded knowingly, then the effect was ruined as she hiccoughed again, starting a fresh bout of giggles.

Persimmone wondered if she hadn't given Diamond too much of the mulled wine. She had never set out to get someone drunk before and had no idea how much mulled wine it would take . . . nor how long it would last. "And tell him you can hardly wait to go to Gondor where your dress will suit the court of the King."

Diamond was still emitting little giggles. Persimmone figured she better be done with this quickly and get Diamond with Pippin as soon as she could. "Do you think you can remember all that dear?"

"Yes indid . . . dood . . . indeed!" Diamond said and giggled some more.

"Then you're all ready, my dearest Diamond. There is Pippin, with the lads by the ale barrels. Go to him and tell him you must talk to him immediately." Persimmone got Diamond to her feet and pushed her in Pippin's direction. "Go now, and don't tell him that I told you all his secrets!" Diamond turned and wiggled her fingers in farewell, stumbling in the process though managing not to fall. Persimmone followed at a distance, she wasn't going to miss the coming fireworks.

Pippin jumped a bit in surprise as Diamond rather roughly grabbed his arm. She looked up at him with a rather brazen expression.

"Come away my dearest Peregrin!" She said loudly. "I have quite decided I don't wish to share you after all." She giggled as she started pulling him away from his friends. “Come along, come along!"

Freddy nudged Merry while raising a questioning eyebrow. Merry’s mind was rememebering other lasses who had acted so giddy with Pippin. He frowned. Perhaps he had been as hasty as Pip in his judgement of Diamond. Isengrim was thinking of his father . . . but he shook the thoughts from his head. He knew that Diamond never drank ale or wine.

Pippin allowed himself to be tugged on and shoved along until they were outside of the pavilion.

"You really must put your arms around me, dear Peregrin." Diamond said as she pushed herself tightly against his chest and wrapped her arms around Pippin's waist. He hesitantly put his arms around her shoulders. Something just did not seem right.

"Now, now I must tell you . . . tell you what?" Diamond giggled and looked up into Pippin's eyes. “Why is he swaying?” She thought, then giggled again. "Oh yes! I need to tell you that I want to be the mistress of Gondor and go to the Kings court at Great Smials!"

Diamond hiccoughed and tried hard to get Pippin to hold still.

"Diamond?" Pippin was beginning to understand what was wrong. If he hadn’t just finished a couple of half-pints, he would have noticed the smell of mulled wine on her breath. As it was he hadn’t been sure if the scent was that or the spiced cider.

"No! No inter . . . inter . . . no not letting me talk Mr. Peregrin Took! I like wearing pretty dresses. And I like you. And . . ." She hiccoughed and burped at the same time. "And I'm going to wear jewelry, and," Diamond sniffed and her voice caught as tears started down her cheeks, "and this is . . . is . . . n’t right. Is it?" She tried to pull back a bit from their embrace but instead lost her balance. Pippin held her up and walked her back into the pavilion while her crying grew stronger and she kept repeating that it “isn’t right.” He led her to an empty table near the open tent flap. He gently sat her down on the bench then knelt in front of her. Diamond was perspiring and crying and swaying in small circles.

"Diamond." Pippin said but she didn't seem able to hear him. He shook her lightly.

"Diamond!" She looked at him with blinking watery eyes and hiccoughed again. "What have you been drinking Diamond?"

"Hot funny cider tasting. Tasting ceder. Cider."

"Who gave it to you Diamond? Diamond!" Pippin shook her again as her eyes closed and her head lolled over to one side for a moment before she slowly brought it upright again. He had to fight a flood of panic rising in his brain.

"Pers . . . Persamoney." Diamond grinned a lopsided grin.

Pippin's grip tightened on Diamond's arms, his teeth clenched and his eyes narrowed. "Persimmone? Was it Persimmone, Diamond?"

Diamond burped again and shook her head yes, her head flopping forward toward Pippin's shoulder.

"Pippin?"

He turned his head quickly to see his sister Pimpernel standing to his left. He looked around and saw that all three of his sisters were standing there looking very concerned at he and Diamond.

"What is going on here?" Pearl whispered sharply.

"Persimmone Bolger." The name came harsh and cold from Pippin's lips. "Persimmone got Diamond drunk, on mulled wine I think." He looked at his youngest sister.

"Will you sit down and hold her Vinca?" Pervinca sat down and put her arms around Diamond who immediately slumped over onto Pervinca's shoulder.

Pippin stood up and looked down at Diamond. He reached out and gently stroked her shining chestnut hair with trembling fingers. He stood that way a few moments before straightening his shoulders and putting his hand to the hilt of his sword.

"I'm going to kill her!" His voice was icy. "I'm going to find her and kill her!"

"Pippin!" Pearl grabbed his hand and moved it from the sword. "I know you don't mean that." He looked at Pearl, his green eyes fiery. "Alright, you want to mean it, dear brother, but you know better. There are better ways to handle someone like Persimmone."

"Fine, I'll . . . I'll . . ." Pippin had to discard every thought that came to his mind and he started to see the bind he was in. He finally sighed heavily, looking defeated. "I'll do nothing to her, she's a lass and I can't touch her."

"Exactly." Said Pimpernel. "But we can, Pippin."

"I'm a little too old to be having my sisters fighting my fights for me, even if you are all older than I." He said with a wry grin.

Pearl smiled and put her hand to her younger brother's cheek. "We know Pippin and if we were discussing a lad we would gladly step aside and let you handle things. But as you just observed, Persimmone is a lass, a wretched, nasty, perverse and obnoxious lass, but a lass none the less. As such, it is thoroughly improper for you do anything to her."

"But," Pimpernel interjected, "as I said before, we can. If you will wait here a moment I'll find Rosie and the two of you can take poor, dear Diamond back to Bag End while the three of us see to Persimmone Bolger."

Pippin considered the plan and then nodded to his sisters. Pimpernel was soon back with Rosie in tow. Pippin picked up the now sleeping Diamond then he and Rosie slipped out of the pavilion and over to Bag End.

Persimmone had followed close behind Diamond so she could see and hear what would happen, but stayed in the crowd enough to not be noticed. It had immediately become clear that her victim was more intoxicated than she had intended her to be. Persimmone quietly moved away, returning to her friends Violet and Primrose. After awhile, the look in her friends eyes alerted Persimmone to the fact that someone had come up behind her. Turning, she met the calm expressions of the three Took sisters. She could feel the blood leaving her face. She knew she had overstepped her bounds.

"Persimmone Bolger!" Gushed Pervinca. "Well we haven't seen you in ages! It's been just ages hasn't it sisters?"

"Oh yes!" Pearl said with an overly bright smile on her face. She slipped her arm around Persimmone's right arm and started walking her away from her friends. Persimmone was too startled to react. "Simply too long!"

"And we have so missed your company Persimmone." Pimpernel took hold of Persimmone's left arm and fell into step with her older sister. Pervinca took her place behind them and the four started to make their way through the crowded pavilion.

Persimmone turned and looked beseechingly at Violet and Primrose. They slowly raised their hands and waved good-bye, making no move to interfere with the formidable Tooks.

"Where are you taking me?" Persimmone rasped. Her mouth had gone dry, her throat felt tight.

"We just really must have a quiet chat with you, Persimmone." Said Pearl, much too cheerily for Persimmone’s comfort.

"Somewhere outside." Pimpernel added, smiling maliciously.

"It's so dreadfully crowded and stuffy in here." Commented Pervinca from behind them.

Persimmone struggled a little against the strong grips of Pearl and Pimpernel but the Took lasses knew well what they were doing and she couldn't get away.

"You aren't going to fuss are you?" Pervinca said cheerily from behind Persimmone. "I really don't think you want everyone staring at you."

They made their way to the back garden of Bag End. The Took sisters knew this garden well and headed straight towards their goal. In one corner, where little streams of water would come off the hill when it rained, stood a large rain barrel and soon the group of lasses were standing next it. The barrel was nearly full to the top as it had rained most of the day two days before and off and on for a full week before that.

"You know, Persimmone, you look a bit flushed. Doesn't she look overly warm to you, sisters?" Pervinca asked as though it were a perfectly innocent question.

Persimmone fought to back away from the barrel but Pearl and Pimpernel held her to the spot. In one practiced motion, for they had defended their younger brother's honor more than once in his life, Pearl and Pimpernel lifted Persimmone by her arms, Pervinca grabbed her ankles, and they plunged the offensive wench head first into the water.

". . . seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty!" Pervinca counted as her sisters held Persimmone under the water. As she said "twenty" they lifted Persimmone's head and shoulders above the water.

"How dare you!" Persimmone spluttered.

"Wrong!" Exclaimed Pearl. "How dare you! You've angered our brother and insulted our beloved cousin Diamond. How dare you, Persimmone Bolger!" And they returned her head to the barrel.

" . . . nineteen, twenty!" Pervinca ended her second count.

"You shall . . . all . . . pay for . . . this!" Persimmone panted as her head cleared the surface of the water.

"Wrong again!" Said Pimpernel. "You are paying, for your impertinence!" Again the water sloshed in the barrel.

" . . . twenty!" Crowed Pervinca, finishing her third count.

"I'm . . . I . . ." Persimmone coughed, " . . . I'm sorry!" She gasped

"Finally the right answer!" Pearl said triumphantly. "And what else do you have to say?" The sisters still held Persimmone's head near the water.

"That I won't do anything to Pippin again?" It was more a question than a statement and Persimmone was now shivering.

"That's right!" Pearl said with syrupy sweetness. "You won't do anything to Pippin or Diamond because you will never come any where near either of them again, will you Persimmone?"

"No" Persimmone's lower lip was trembling.

"You won't say anything to hurt or offend or bring any dishonor to them, will you Persimmone?" Pearl's sweet tone gained a certain edge to it.

"No." Persimmone eyed the water fearfully.

"Because who will every hobbit in the Shire believe? You, you conniving little worm, or the Tooks of Great Smials?" Pearl put her face close to Persimmone's. Any trace of sweetness was gone from Pearl's voice.

"They will believe you." Persimmone said aloud through her tears. “Wretched, nasty, rude, bossy Tooks!” She thought. “Terrible Tooks. Whoever gets Pippin deserves them!”

"Who will they believe?" Pearl demanded again to make sure the message was clear.

"The Tooks of Great Smials."

"That's right. You had best not forget it ever again Persimmone Bolger." Pearl's voice made it clear that the sisters of Peregrin Took would never forget.

With one more smooth and practiced move, the sisters twisted Persimmone about and dunked her rear end into the barrel, let her sit till her dress and petticoats were soaked through, and then yanked her out. The Took sisters marched Persimmone back into the pavilion. They led her to the center of the dance floor and left her, dripping wet from head to toe, for every hobbit at the Festival Ball to see.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List