Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

16 Taking the Madness Home

The light carriage rocked gently as it rolled along behind Baby, the Gamgee's carriage pony. Diamond snuggled close to Pippin out of affection rather than a need for warmth. She was cosily warm wrapped in the forest green cloak Pippin had given her that morning as they got ready to leave for Great Smials. She recognized it as one she had admired while at the Harvest Festival. It was made of the finest North Farthing wool and had matching mittens. But what had surprised her the most was what Peregrin had done after wrapping the beautiful cloak around her and fastening the hook at her throat. He had taken from a pocket the most wonderful brooch, like a leaf of the fairest green, edged and veined in silver, and had pinned it so it hid the hook on the cloak. Diamond had recognized it as being like the one Rosie had worn to the Harvest Ball.

As the carriage sped along the new road that ran from Hobbiton to Tuckborough, she pulled off one of her mittens and touched the brooch, feeling it's graceful curves beneath her fingertips. While they had ridden along, Pippin had told her that one of the Galadrim had pinned it in place on the cloak of Elven grey they had given to him. He told how he had dropped it on the plains of Rohan in hope of aiding their friend Strider, who is now the High King Elessar, in tracking them when he and Merry had been taken by the Uruk-Hai. And he told how Strider had returned it to him at the edge of the ruins of Isenguard. "A part of so much that happened to us." Peregrin said as he reached over to touch the brooch gently. "Sam's is given a new grace, being worn by the one he loves most. Shouldn't my brooch be graced by the one I truly love?"

Diamond's thoughts came back to the present. She wrapped her arm around Pippin's and sighed as she leaned tighter against him.

"Are you alright?" He asked looking down at her but all he could see was the hood of her cloak.

"Yes." She sighed again. "I just fear I'm going to wake up and bring an end to this dream I'm having."

"Dream?"

"The one where Peregrin Took has fallen in love with me and is my betrothed."

Pippin put both reins into the hand of the arm Diamond was holding and with his free hand pushed her hood back from her face then kissed her forehead.

"Oh, that dream!" He kissed her again. "I thought you had given up on that one and decided to wed with me instead."

Diamond chuckled. "Yes. You will just have to do since I can't have the hobbit of my dreams!"

This time when he moved to kiss her she tipped her head so their lips met.

"How long till we arrive at Great Smials?" She asked when they finished kissing.

"Very soon."

Great Smials was home to a large number of Tooks. Its tunnels spread like tree roots throughout more than one hill, in places on more than one level. Each family group had its own smial or apartments; each smial with its own branch off the main tunnels, its own kitchen, bathing room, bedrooms, parlor and study. Many families even had their own door to the outside. It was quite possible to go weeks at a time and barely see any of the other hobbits who dwelt there. But more often there was a great deal of visiting one another and of taking at least dinner in the main dinning hall where there were two main tables that could seat nearly a hundred hobbits. The dinning hall was huge with room for extra tables and sideboards for times of feasts and festivals.


Pervinca stood by the round window to the right of the large round Great Door that was the main entrance to Great Smials. She kept looking down the lane that led from the road to the circular drive in front of the dwelling. Pippin and Diamond were coming today. The letter telling of their plans had been pure Pippin:


Father, Mother and Sisters,

Diamond and I will arrive tomorrow for luncheon.

Please serve things you know are my favorites.

Diamond likes cold roast beef and custard.

She does not like them served mixed together.

May we please eat in Father and Mother's smial.

Sisters may bring their families.

I am, as always, your dearest

Son and Brother

P.S. Dearest and ONLY

Finally, with only a quarter of an hour left before luncheon, the carriage carrying Pippin and Diamond came up the lane and into the drive to stop before the large round door. Pervinca opened it before they even had a chance to reach it, hanging their cloaks on hooks, and hustling them towards the Thain's own quarters.

Great Smials was grand and Diamond had a look of pure amazement on her face ever since the hills it occupied had first come into view. The hills were large and there were so many round windows looking out from their grassy slopes. The round front door was a cheery yellow. The entry hall was a large room though the ceiling was the usual height giving no indication that the dwelling was three levels high at that point. The ramp leading to the next level went around three sides of the room so its ascent was gradual, and it had a half-wall on its outer side instead of an open rung balustrade. Deep, but not dark, wood paneling and trim was everywhere with plaster walls painted a warm tan. The floors, where there were no deep pile area rugs, were a rich reddish brown tile.

"Peregrin," Diamond said, panting a little as they trotted to keep up with Pervinca, "this is a magnificent smial! I’ve only been in the entrance hall, dinning hall and ballroom before. I’d no idea it was all as beautiful as those rooms."

Pippin gave her a teasing look and said, "I know, I have lived here, remember? Actually, they just put this all on when there is an important guest coming. These are fake walls, painted on panels that pull over the real ones, which are just plain dirt with roots and worms hanging off of them."

Diamond had believed him, that is until he got to the walls being bare dirt and he gave her a long wink. She laughed at his jest.

“Don’t let it trouble you, Diamond. When all is said and done, it is just a hobbit hole. It is a place to live. Like our farm in Whitwell and your farm in Long Cleeve. All the fancies are worthless if you don’t love the one you share them with.” They had come to the Thain’s dinning room door. “Are you ready?” he asked, giving her hand a squeeze.

Diamond nodded and they made their entrance.

Everyone was there and waiting for them since Pippin had timed things so they would make a grand entrance. He was in his livery and Diamond, at his request, had worn her sable and silver gown and the diamond and mithril necklace. Everyone stood as they came in and Peregrin and Diamond were shown to their places; Pippin first down the table on Paladin's right, his proper place as heir, and Diamond, after Eglantine on Paladin's left. Then, on either side of the table, Pippin's sisters, their husbands and ten of the eleven grandchildren, the youngest being an infant and in the care of a nurse during meal times.

Diamond was glad for this chance to meet them all again. Two of Pearl and Ordegar Bolger’s children, Phlox and Gundabert were the oldest children there, but Peony, their youngest was a year younger than Pimpernel and Sigeric Hornblower’s youngest set of twins, their lads Sigesar and Sigebald who were busy teasing their twin sisters Sunilda and Sunigilda. Of Pervinca and Tosto Boffin’s two children, only their daughter Daisy was at the table as it was their 5 month old baby, Uffo, who was in the nursery.

The meal was served in several courses with Pippin happily noting many of his favorites and the cold roast beef he had requested for Diamond. The conversation had not been as usual though. Usually it was noisy at the Took table. The whole family was talkative and the volume of the competing conversations was often astounding. Today the conversation was less random and scattered and the tone a bit formal. Although friendly, Pippin felt that everyone was on edge and . . . well . . . waiting for something to happen.

Tea was served and the servants were bringing around plentiful helpings of a glorious looking custard when Thain Paladin decided things had gone on long enough.

"Pippin, my lad," Paladin said loudly and all other conversation ceased. "Do you have news to tell us about this fair young hobbitess you have brought to luncheon, as your Mother and Sisters all think you have? I've heard nothing but whispers and giggles since your letter arrived yesterday and, if you don't mind, I would like an end put to it." Paladin was sounding stern but his lips kept trying to work their way toward a smile.

"I don't know why I would have news about Diamond, Father," Pippin said completely straight faced. "Let me see." He crossed his left arm in front of himself and rested his right elbow on it then started rubbing his chin with his hand. He looked down at the table thoughtfully. "She doesn't like mulled wine." Diamond gasped and threw her napkin at him as he was too far away to kick at him under the table. "She and Mistress Gamgee have become good friends." Pippin's mother and sisters were starting to lean forward in their chairs as if to urge him on. "She likes to climb trees." He paused again and everyone leaned in farther. "We were up in the mallorn tree in the Party Field just the other day."

"You climbed a tree with him!" Pimpernel said in amazement and stared open-mouthed at Diamond who blushed and nodded in return.

"In fact," Pippin continued, "that was were we became betrothed."

"We knew it!!" The Took ladies all screamed at once and they fell upon Diamond with kisses and hugs after pulling her from her chair. Paladin stood and extended his arms to his son who happily obliged his Father and they embraced with only a little less exuberance than the lasses. Pippin's brothers-in-law gave their congratulations with a great deal of back slapping and hugging. The grandchildren also joined the happy adults, except for Sigesar and Sigebald who couldn't see all the fuss over getting betrothed and enjoyed themselves by eating their sibling's and cousin's servings of custard.

Finally Eglantine made her way over to hug her son. She held him long and hard, crying as she rocked him very slightly side to side.

She sniffed lightly and looked up at her Pippin. So tall he was now, and how commanding looking in his mail and tabard. "Can you even feel my hugging you through all that?" She said and thumped his mailed chest with her fist.

Pippin was crying himself and at first he only nodded. Then he held his Mother tightly again. "I could feel your hug even if I had a full breastplate on. A son can always feel his mother's hugs." He said, and he bent a little to kiss the top of her head, and they started a fresh round of tears.

"She's wonderful Pippin." Eglantine eventually stopped crying enough to say. "I couldn't ask for a better daughter-in-law."

Pippin held her away a bit to look at her. "Diamond loves me, Mum. She loves me, not Great Smials nor the wealth nor my rank and possition. Me, Mum. She loves me."

"It shows, dear." Eglantine reached up and gently placed her palm to Pippin's cheek. It was an old, familiar gesture of love and comfort between them. He leaned his face into her hand, closed his eyes and sighed. "And you love her. It's what a mother longs to see when her child chooses his life's partner." She took her hand from his face, grasped his arms firmly and smiled at her tall son. "And now, Pippin. When is the wedding?"

Diamond overheard Eglantine's question and raised her voice to answer it. "Peregrin thought First Yule would be best."

"First Yule?!" The words exploded from Pippin's sisters.

"Yes," laughed Diamond, "and I agree. It will be perfect for us."

Eglantine looked from her son, to her future daughter-in-law and back again, her mouth hanging open and her eyes wide.
"T-t-truly P-Pippin?" She stammered.

He blushed, looked sheepish and nodded slowly. He quickly steadied his Mother and helped her sit down on one of the chairs at the table as she had gone rather pale and wobbly.

"On the holiday, Pippin? On one of the biggest holidays in the Shire? A holiday folks usually spend at home with their own families and that is when you want your wedding?"

Pippin went down onto one knee so his Mother could look at him more easily. "You know how much I love Yule, Mum. It's such a cozy, joyous holiday. Why not make it even more joyful?"

Eglantine looked at Pippin and smiled. His cheeks were flushed, his eyes sparkled and danced with excitement. How could she not agree. "Indeed, my dearest son. It will be joyful indeed!"






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List