Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

23 A Ceremonious Day

Low, pale grey clouds hung over the Shire, with wisps of clouds below them scudding along on a brisk wind out of the north. The temperature had plummeted and the air smelled clean and sharp and made the hobbit's noses tingle as they went out to do the morning chores of tending to their animals.

This day had many names; it was the third day of the six day Yule season, it was the last day of the passing year and was properly called First Yule. For Pippin and Diamond, their friends and family, it would now also be Peregrin and Diamond's wedding anniversary.

Such a load of happiness for one rather short day to carry.

Not all hobbit wedding days are quite as involved as this one would be, but not all hobbits were of the family of the Tooks of Great Smials, nor was any other hobbit the heir to the title the Tooks had carried for many generations of hobbits; Thain of the Shire.

Pippin lay staring at the ceiling of his guest room at Bag End thinking about just these matters. His eyes sparkled and a grin, familiar to all who knew him, grew on his lips. 'Perhaps," he started to think, "it would be great fun to just have Sam wed us here, in Bag End, right after breakfast, and us just not show up later for all the fuss!" He chuckled to himself but then quickly the grin turned down. 'And have Diamond, and my Mum and sisters, and Rosie and Estella all hate me!" His eyes grew softer as another disappointed face came to his thoughts, the most forlorn and tear streaked he had ever imagined.

"Elanor!" he said aloud to himself and he swallowed hard. He was picturing her all dressed in her pretty gown, no longer having a wedding party and ceremony at which to wear it. "No, I can't do that to the dear little lass. I'd never be free of her look of disappointment. Guess I had best just get up and face the fussing all the dearest lasses in my life have got planned." Pippin threw back the blankets and quilts and, hurrying against the chill in the room, got ready for the busy day ahead.

Diamond, quite recovered from yesterday’s upset, was already up and sipping tea at the kitchen table when Pippin walked in.

"Miss North-took." Pippin said and bowed his head to her.

"Mr. Took" Diamond returned both greeting and bow.

Before she raised her head she was in Pippin's arms and getting spun in a circle. She squeezed her eyes closed and shrieked. Then he stopped, set her on her feet and stood holding her close and nuzzling her neck.

"Peregrin!" she squealed and squirmed to get away.

"You are almost mine!" He whispered in her ear as he nibbled lightly on her earlobe. "I'm just thinking about tonight!" He quietly growled low in his throat.

Diamond wriggled in his arms and giggled. "I am too, but we've a long day to get through before then, Mr. Took!" She whispered to him and then grabbed him by his shoulders and shook him lightly. "So be patient and don't tempt me to just run off with you!"

She let go and dashed around the table until it stood between them. She was breathing hard, her cheeks were flushed and her brown eyes shone. She wore her sable gown, as it was custom for the betrothed couple to wear their wedding garb through out the entire wedding day, and Pippin could scarcely believe how beautiful she looked and Diamond was thinking the same about him. He stood tall and handsome in his uniform, the symbol of the White Tree on his chest sparkling nearly as brightly as his eyes.

"Truce?" Pippin asked Diamond as he pulled the chair that she had been sitting in out a bit from the table. "Your tea is getting cold, m'lady." She came around the table and sat down as he tucked the chair beneath her, then he walked away to start sampling from the various platters and bowls that sat ready to be taken into the dinning room.

"Peregrin Took!" Rosie exclaimed and slapped his hand away from the stack of golden brown muffins. "Get your hands off of those and get your soon to be wife and go sit down in the dinin' room! All is nearly ready and the others are already in there waitin' on the two of you. Go!" Rosie gave him a playful shove then Pippin held out his hand to Diamond and they started to leave the kitchen. "You're goin' ta have your hands full with this lad!" Rosie shook her head and said to Diamond as they walked past her.

"That's alright," Diamond replied with a wink, "I've a whole book of ideas on how to make him mind!"

A noisy cheerful group of hobbits rode the loaded carts into Hobbiton on their way to the Town Hall. Breaking with custom among the Shire's wealthier hobbits, and that not for the last time this day, Peregrin and Diamond and their families were part of the entourage that would be setting up and decorating the hall. The wedding guests would begin arriving at noon, with the wedding luncheon beginning at twelve-thirty. The pastry chef and the master chef and their assistants would be arriving shortly and the hall's kitchen would soon be a bee hive of activity. The pine boughs and holly greens for decorating the walls and tables had already been delivered and were awaiting the touch of the Took Sisters and the North-took sisters to make the old hall a magical place. Eglantine, Rosie, Estella and Diamond would be putting the cloths on the tables after Paladin, Isengrim, Sam, Merry and Pippin, Adde and Bandy set them up. Things went smoothly until Diamond and Estella came to a table with its legs sticking up in the air.

Estella said loudly. "However did this happen?" then to Diamond she whispered, "As if we don't know!"

Merry and Pippin were a short way ahead of the lasses doing much too good a job of being busy with another table. Estella and Diamond walked over to them and each lass crossed her arms over her chest.

"And how do you suggest we put a cloth on that table?" Estella asked Merry as she pointed back to the upside down table.

"Or sit anyone at it?" Diamond asked Pippin.

The two cousins were getting redder and redder from trying not to laugh but finally Pippin managed to answer with a rather strangled sounding voice.

"Could drape the cloth over the legs, 'twould make a fine tent!"

Merry and Pippin fairly exploded into laughter, nearly falling to the floor. The lasses were not amused . . . at first. Bit by bit the smiles crept onto their faces until they were laughing as hard as the lads.

The guests arrived, the luncheon was served and thoroughly enjoyed by the nearly three hundred hobbits in attendance. After a couple of hours the guests hushed as the betrothed couple and their families left the room and others came and cleared away the table on the dais and the tables on the main floor closest to it. Soon Mayor Gamgee reentered the room, now wearing his chain of office, and stepped up onto the dais, and the guests rose to their feet. He was followed by Diamond's brothers, Pippin's parents and sisters and their families who lined up on the main floor in front of the platform. Diamond's sisters and little Elanor Gamgee were next and took their places on the dais to Mayor Gamgee's right. Elanor stood quietly and proudly in her new dress of silvery grey velvet. Rosie had made the little gown in the same style as Aunt Diamond's and Uncle Pippin had told her she looked just like a little princess would in King Elessar's court. Lastly, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Rosie Gamgee escorted Peregrin Took and Diamond North-took into the large hall and up onto the dais to stand before the Mayor.

"I, Samwise Gamgee," Sam said in a strong clear voice, "as Mayor, represent the Four Farthings of the Shire and the Hobbits who dwell within it's borders. As their representative it is my honor and privilege to conduct this ceremony." Sam held out both of his hands, palms up, looked down at Pippin's mother and nodded for her to come up onto the dais.

"Do you Eglantine Took, a mother giving her blessing to her son, place Peregrin's hand in my open palm representing his coming away from your family to begin his own family in the community of the Shire, remembering that the bonds of blood still hold true?"

" I do." Eglantine said with a quiet confidence that belied the unshed tears in her eyes. She grasped Pippin's right hand, gave it a squeeze, and set it to rest palm up in Sam's left hand. She looked lovingly into Pippin's sparkling eyes. "With my blessing, Peregrin, you leave to begin a new part of your life with a wife and children of your own. But you never leave the love of your family nor your responsibilities to celebrate with us in times of joy, defend us in our times of need or mourn with us in times of sorrow." She released his hand and went back down the two steps of the dais to stand with Paladin and their daughters and their families. Sam now turned to look at Diamond's brother and have him take his place on the dais.

"Do you Isengrim North-took of Long Cleeve, as eldest male of your household and representing your father giving his blessing to his daughter, place Diamond's hand in my open palm representing her coming away from your family to begin her own family in the community of the Shire, remembering that the bonds of blood still hold true?"

" I do this, remembering our Father." Isengrim said to Sam and then he turned to address the wedding guests. "He loved his children, but loved our dear Mother more and could not bear the grief of her passing. He sought comfort in mugs of ale and the company he found in the taverns, but his sorrow only deepened and he soon lost himself, over powered by his need for ale. He died after being ill treated by the ruffians during the Dire Year. He never lost our love and he died knowing he had our forgiveness. I have endeavored to stand in his stead for the family he so early in life left behind. Remembering the good Father he had been before his grief struck him down, I give my blessing and his."

There were some murmurs heard about the room and many looked at the small group of hobbit lasses that had huddled together when the ceremony began. Most of the girls within the group now shook their heads and moved away from Violet Boffin; no words against Pippin's marriage to Diamond would be spoken.

Isengrim nodded slightly to Sam and then smiled at his beloved older sister. He took her left hand, kissed it, and then placed it palm up in Sam's right hand. "With my blessing, and our Father's, Diamond, you leave to begin a new part of your life with a husband and children of your own. But you never leave the love of your family nor your responsibilities to celebrate with us in times of joy, care for us in our times of need or mourn with us in times of sorrow." He stepped off the dais to again stand with Adelard and Bandobras.

"And to Meriadoc Brandybuck and Rose Gamgee." Sam looked at each of them in turn. "Do you who stand with Peregrin and Diamond pledge yourselves to be the closest of friends to them, to give help and support to them as they live together as husband and wife and to any children they may have?"

They responded in unison. "We do"

Sam was smiling broadly as he looked at Pippin, filled with joy at the thought of his dear friend finally becoming a husband. And a warmer, deeper thought filled his heart knowing that Frodo would have loved this moment as well; his young, ever cheerful, pest of a Took cousin becoming a husband to a fine hobbit lass. Sam blinked a bit as he came back to the moment at hand.

"Do you, Peregrin Took, son of Paladin who is Thain of the Shire, of the Tooks of Great Smials, of the West Farthing of the Shire, pledge yourself to Diamond, promising to love her only, to be provider and protector to her and the children you may have?"

"I do." Pippin looked at Diamond. He looked at his parents and sisters. He looked at his new siblings, Diamond’s brothers and sisters. He looked at Merry and at Sam’s Rosie. He thought about Frodo and Bilbo. So many hobbits had taught him so much about love and life. He thought of the little wooden farm family; he now had every confidence in his ability to fulfill his promise and he returned Sam's broad smile with a nod of his head.

Sam turned to Diamond, still grinning happily, and winked at her.

"Do you Diamond North-took daughter of Sapphire, of the North- tooks of Long Cleeve, of the North Farthing of the Shire, pledge yourself to Peregrin, to love him only, and to care for him in every way, and for the children you may have?"

"I do." Tears began to spill down Diamond's cheeks as she thought about how much she was loved by Peregrin, his family and the dear friends he had brought into her life. She was ready to spend her life returning that love.

"Do you have promises to speak to each other?" Sam asked the smiling couple.

There was a small gasp amongst the family, friends and guests as Pippin withdrew his hand from Sam's. This was not proper custom! Pippin turned to face Diamond then crossed his hands upon his chest and bowed his head. Diamond remembered the gesture and smiled as he raised his head to look steadily into her eyes but left his hands upon his chest.

"I, Peregrin son of Paladin, of the Tooks of Great Smials, of the West Farthing of the Shire; swear on my honor, as a Knight of Gondor and future Thain of the Shire, to be faithful to you, Diamond North-took of Long Cleeve. I swear I will endeavor to never hurt you, to always protect you, to give you every joy and happiness that life offers, to help you bear any sorrow that befalls us, to cherish you and our children. I love you Diamond, with the fiercest most loyal love. My love, my heart, is wholly yours. I swear to you that nothing, except my sworn allegiance to the High King Elessar, will ever come before you, and I will gladly lay down my life for my liege Lord or you, my beloved Diamond. Nothing will sever my oaths to my King or to you save my death." He took his hands from his chest and put his right hand back into Sam's out stretched hand.

Diamond did not remove her hand from Sam's when she turned to face Peregrin. She reached out with her free hand and gently touched his frindge of curls that were neatly trimmed and out of his eyes; they smiled at each other as she placed her right hand on his chest, over his heart, in her own departure from Shire custom.

"I have no formal oath to swear, but my word is true and my promise sure. I will hold you to your oath, Peregrin Took, son of Paladin of the Tooks of Great Smials, of the West Farthing of the Shire. For my part I, Diamond North-took of Long Cleeve, will give you the freedom to serve the High King Elessar in what ever way he commands, even if that takes you away from our family, even if it costs you your life. I will do whatever is in my ability to make you happy, to bring you joy, to help you bear the burdens of your rank as a Knight of Gondor and your offices as the Took and Thain of the Shire when you come into your inheritance, to cherish you and our children. I love you Peregrin, you only. Nothing else, no one else, will ever take your place in my heart, I am wholly yours. I am bound by this promise until by death I leave you. "

Sam took Peregrin and Diamond's hands, placed the palms together and held them between his own. "This new family is recognized and blessed by the Hobbits of the Four Farthings of the Shire. We pledge that if this family of Peregrin and Diamond Took is ever in need, we will come to their aid and that of the children they may have."

Pippin and Diamond intertwined their fingers as Sam took his hands away. They were now each other's, standing together before everyone as husband and wife; a new family in the community of the Shire. Pippin pulled Diamond to him and gave her a long slow kiss, they parted and then Diamond kissed him slowly and deeply. When Diamond's kiss ended a cheer went up from the hundreds of hobbits who were there to share in their joy.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List