Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

~Wizards~

By Elanor Silmarien

“Is there any more tea?” Frodo asked, indicating for his uncle to pass the teapot. “Sam said he’d be over soon. He said his Da needed to attend to the roses this afternoon.”

Bilbo hid a grin. “Did he indeed?” He passed the teapot to Frodo, then glanced over at Gandalf, who was sitting on the floor beside the table, puffing on his pipe. “Are you sure that’s all he wanted?”

Frodo glanced hesitantly from Bilbo to Gandalf. He had met the wizard a few times before, and he seemed rather nice, but Frodo did not want to upset him. “Well, I suppose he’d like to meet Gandalf as well…” he admitted, blushing. “I mean, he’s heard so much about you and…” he amended, glancing up at Gandalf.

The wizard laughed. “Will he ask as many questions as you seem to have come up with, I wonder?” Gandalf said. “I don’t mind meeting your friend, Frodo. In fact, I would very much like to.”

Frodo grinned up at the wizard, then glanced out the window. “Good, because he’s on his way up the Hill now!” He leaped up, tea forgotten, and dashed to the door.

Gandalf heard Frodo talking excitedly, telling the lad that the wizard would be more than happy to meet him. “Truly, Mr. Frodo?” said a small voice that the wizard guessed must be the aforementioned Sam, and then Frodo came back into the room, leading a lad of about fourteen or fifteen with him.

“Sam, this is Gandalf. Gandalf, this is Samwise Gamgee, my best friend in the whole world.”

“Pleased to meet you, Samwise,” Gandalf said, smiling at the lad. “Frodo has told me much about you.” Here the lad blushed.

“It was all good things, Sam, I promise!” Frodo said, leading Sam to come sit by him at the table.

“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Gandalf, sir! “Sam said once he’d found his tongue again.

“You can ask me whatever question I can see is brewing in your eyes, lad. I don’t mind,” Gandalf said with a chuckle, watching as Sam tried really hard not to say anything.

“Really, sir?” Sam asked.

“Really,” the wizard responded.

“Are all the things in Mr. Bilbo’s story true?” Sam asked, curiosity flooding his eyes.

Gandalf laughed. “Yes! Of course they were! And you know what? I think you might be just the sort of hobbit to go on an adventure of your own someday.”

Sam glanced up at the wizard, shock evident in his eyes. “Me, sir? I don’t think so. My Da don’t hold with adventurin’. Meanin’ no offence, Mr. Bilbo.”

Bilbo chuckled. “None taken, lad.”

Gandalf laughed. “I don’t doubt your Da doesn’t like it. But you might be surprised,” he said, putting on a mysterious look, and returning to his smoke rings.

Sam sat gazing at the wizard, confusion and awe written in his small face.

Later that afternoon, when Sam and Frodo were out in the garden by themselves, Frodo asked, “So, what do you think of him Sam?”

“Mr. Gandalf? He’s a strange one, that’s for sure! Are all wizards like him?” Sam replied.

“I suppose they must be, though I’ve never met another one. I think he’s nice, though. A bit odd, but nice,” Frodo replied. “I think he’ll make a good friend, don’t you think?”

To that, Sam had to smile and say, “Yes, I think he will.” To himself he said, “I may never understand him, but I do like him.”

~Finis~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List