Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: Birthday story for Antane!! I'm sorry it's so late, mellon nin, but I hope you like it! Love, Elanor

~I can't~

Sam dropped the book into his lap with a sigh. “I can’t do this, Mr. Frodo!” he moaned. “I”ve been tryin’, and I just can’t!”

Frodo smiled patiently at his young friend. “Of course you can, Sam. Just take the word a little slower and sound out each letter.” He lifted the book and put it back in Sam’s hands. “One more try, lad.”

Sam gave Frodo a look that clearly said he was sure the whole venture would be a failure, but tried again anyways.

Slowly he sounded out the word that had been giving him difficulty.

“Yes, Sam! That’s it!” Frodo cried triumphantly.

* * *

Sam glanced up at Frodo with a tear-stained face as the older hobbit came into the room.

“I came as fast as I could when I heard,” Frodo said, kneeling down beside his friend.

Sam sat quietly for a moment, attempting to stop his tears. Then he threw himself into Frodo’s arms and said, “I can’t do this, Mr. Frodo! I can’t go on with Mum gone! And Ham’s away in Tightfield and Hal’s being all gloomy and the girls are all bein’ snappish! I just can’t!”  He burst into tears as Frodo held him tightly.

“Yes, you can, Sam. I know it will be hard at first, but you know I’m here for you, and so’s Bilbo,” Frodo whispered in his ear. “Just keep holding on to us and we won’t let you fall.”

* * *

The water looked pretty deep as far as Sam could tell. He felt his stomach sick when he saw the elegant boats waiting for them.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Frodo standing behind him.

“I can’t do this, Mr. Frodo. I can’t get on that thing on the water.” He glanced at his friend helplessly, hoping Frodo would be able to find some way around this.

“Of course you can, Sam. Merry and I have grown up in boats, and you know Aragorn won’t let anything happen to you.” He smiled encouragingly at Sam, then grabbed his hand and helped him into the boat.

* * *

Frodo slumped to the ground, leaning against a rock. Exhausted, he glanced up at the mountain just ahead, looming in the distance, then glanced over at Sam, sitting down next to him.

“I can’t do this, Sam,” he said quietly, almost as if he were talking to himself. “I can’t go on. The mountain’s too high, the burden too heavy… I can’t…” he gave off, glancing back at the mountain in utter despair as Sam drew his friend into his arms.

“Yes you can, Mr. Frodo. I know it’s hard, but you’ve got to try! You know I’m here for you and I’ll try to protect you as best I can. Just don’t give up, Mr. Frodo. Don’t give up.”

~The End~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List