Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Mathoms II  by Dreamflower

 AUTHOR: Dreamflower
RATING: G
CATEGORY: General
SUMMARY: In which Faramir Took comes of age, and makes a momentous decision…
AUTHOR’S NOTES: (1) My elements were: a gold mine, Orcs, and a burned hand. (2)In the flashback, Perry is 16 and Fam is 10, (or 10 and 6 ½ in Man-years.)
DISCLAIMER: Middle-earth and all its peoples belong to the Tolkien Estate. I own none of them. Some of them, however, seem to own me.

THE BYRDING'S DECISION

Faramir Took looked about the mathom room with satisfaction. This place was a gold mine of assorted items, it truly was. Unlike the rather dusty and cluttered mathom rooms of Brandy Hall, the ones at the Great Smials were well-maintained, and items were grouped in the various rooms by type and value. There were about a dozen such rooms of differing sizes scattered about the Great Smials, some large ones containing only old furniture, smaller ones containing linens and clothing and such, and rooms filled with shelves of odds and ends.

There would be one hundred and thirty-three guests at his Coming of Age Party, and it was from this particular room, containing items of value, that he would choose his most special presents to give. There were, of course, some items that were not actually mathoms at all, but had been placed here for safekeeping. In many ways it was more like a strongroom than a storeroom.

He and Perry had sometimes played in this room--it seemed a fitting setting for Smaug’s hoard, or a castle to defend from Orcs, or a ship filled with treasure to protect from Corsairs. The room was kept locked, but Fam had known where his father kept the key. He shook his head at the memory of his folly. Their use of this particular room had come to an abrupt end one blustery winter day.

One of the items kept here at the time, in a long black box embossed with the Tree and Stars of Gondor, was his father’s sword Trollsbane. The Thain would take it out from time to time to practice with, or to wear when he had to wear his livery. But he always put it away again, sharpened, cleaned, and in its scabbard. He had, at one time, kept it out, but when children started to arrive in the family, Diamond had persuaded him that it was better off out of sight.

Perry had been about sixteen, and Fam had been ten when they had got the notion of re-enacting the Battle at the Black Gate. More specifically, the fight between Peregrin Took and the Troll. It only made sense, that Perry being the larger, should be the Troll, while Fam would take his father’s role.

And then Perry had the notion to look at the sword. Fam had protested at first. They could not use it in their play--it was too large for them to wield. They had, after all, the wooden swords that had been their Yule gifts from Fam’s namesake, Uncle Faramir of Ithilien and his Lady Éowyn. But it really would be inspiring to get a good look at the real thing--at least that had been Perry’s reasoning, and Fam had seen no need of arguing.

So they opened the box. Trollsbane was in the scabbard, which didn’t give them much of a look at it. Perry reached in, and drew it forth. It was a little heavy for him, but he could lift it without too much trouble.

He began to swing it about experimentally. Since receiving the wooden sword at Yule, Uncle Merry had decided that Perry was old enough to have a bit of instruction in the proper use of a sword, and had shown him a few exercises. He stood as his father had shown him and swung it back and forth.

“Let me have a go!” said Fam, eagerly reaching out.

“It’s probably too heavy,” Perry said doubtfully, but he amiably passed it over.

When Fam closed his right hand around the hilt, the tip drooped immediately to the floor. He looked disappointed.

“Try both hands,” said Perry.

Fam placed both hands on the sword, and discovered that it was much easier to handle two-handedly. He tried to swish it as his cousin had, but it didn’t go very far or very fast. He tried again, very hard and very fast. It swung him all the way around, and he almost toppled. Gritting his teeth he tried once more, swinging with all his might--

“Ahh!” screamed Perry, as his upper arm stopped the swing of the sharp blade.

“Perry!” Fam dropped the sword to the floor with a clang.

Perry was holding his left arm with his right, blood dripping copiously through his fingers. Pale, he sank to his knees, his breath coming quick and shallow.

“Oh, Perry!” Fam cried, “will you be all right?” He felt very peculiar himself at the sight of all that blood.

Perry didn’t speak, but nodded his head, biting his lip.

“I have to get help! Please be all right until I come back, Perry!” Fam was weeping, not even noticing his tears. He turned, threw open the door and pelted out. Luckily, they were not far from the Thain’s study, and he bolted in search of his father--

Who was at that time, busy discussing important matters with Uncle Merry and Uncle Sam. Fam burst into the room, screaming “I’ve killed Perry! Or cut his arm off!”

As they raced back to the mathom room, Fam tried to explain what had happened. Uncle Merry had rushed to Perry’s side, and had pulled out a handkerchief to bind up the cut. Pippin had walked over and grimly picked up the sword. Uncle Sam had taken the sight in briefly, and then gone to fetch Diamond, who was, after all, a healer.

Perry had needed several stitches, and had to stay in bed for three days, drinking beef broth and red wine and eating liver. Fam had stood beneath his father’s furious eye, and scrubbed the blood from the floor. Then he was banished to his own room until Perry was able to be up. The two of them then spent a month scrubbing pots in the main kitchen. Perry still had a scar, and when Fam would see it even now, he sometimes felt very guilty for causing his cousin such hurt.

Trollsbane was moved from the box to a place high above the mantelpiece, where Pippin could keep an eye on it, and only he could reach. The key to that mathom room no longer resided in the right-hand top drawer of the Thain’s desk, but was placed on a fob, and kept on the Thain’s person.

Before the two miscreants had begun their toil in the kitchen, his father and Uncle Merry had called them both in for a grim lecture on the danger of playing with weapons. Frightened by what they had done, both of them listened with wide eyes and white faces.

Fam’s father and Uncle Merry had exchanged looks, and then Pippin had said, “I don’t think we need to worry on that score with these two any longer. As Gandalf once told me, after a bit of my own foolishness, ‘The burned hand teaches best. After that, advice about fire goes to the heart.’* And I think Perry and Fam understand now.”

But from that day to this, Fam had never again set foot in this particular room unless accompanied by one of his parents. But today, he had their permission to be here. The majority of his gifts had already been selected; most of them were either new or from other mathom rooms.

His parents’ gift was new--and he smiled to himself at the thought of their pleasure and surprise when they would see the painting he’d commissioned from Aunt Angelica --it was a portrait of the two of them, done from a sketch she had made a few summers ago, when the family had been visiting in Buckland. His mother and father, and Uncle Merry and Aunt Stella had all gone with them to spend a few days at Crickhollow, and she had captured Pippin and Diamond, seated on the little bench beneath the rose arbor, looking very much in love. She had given the sketch to Fam at the time, but he had sought her out nearly a year ago, and asked her if she could make a painting from it.

He had just received it back from the framers the day before.

He’d asked her to make the painting right after his return from Minas Anor. He’d brought some rather special gifts back from there, as well, which had been carefully stowed in his room. For Uncle Merry, Uncle Sam and Uncle Freddy he had bottles of real Dorwinion wine, obtained for him from Uncle Legolas. They had been laid down the year Fam was born, and he’d been assured by the Elf that it was an especially fine vintage. For his aunts--both his father’s and mother’s sisters, and his honorary ones, Aunt Estella, Aunt Rose, Aunt Angelica--Uncle Gimli had helped him to obtain lovely silver music boxes, of true Dwarven make. He’d brought scarves of silk that came from Far Harad for his sisters.

But there were two gifts he would select here, and nowhere else. His father had been very pleased to grant his permission. The first of the two would be for Perry--his dearest friend all his life.

When he had asked his father about a gift for Perry, one that would show the special kinship between the Tooks and the Brandybucks, Pippin had pursed his mouth and furrowed his brow, and then smiled widely. “I know the perfect thing, son. I had thought from time to time of giving it to your Uncle Merry, but, well, the two of us were rather beyond that sort of thing by then.” Fam knew what his father meant--he and Uncle Merry were so close that their gifts usually were small and simple, and more often of a jesting nature than a sentimental one. They needed no such gestures between them at this time in their lives.

And so now Fam took the key his father had given him, and approached the shelf at the far end of the room, where small boxes stored the most valuable of items. The box, as had been described to him, was about three inches square, of dark polished wood, carved with a design of intricate knots. It was locked with a small brass lock.

Fam opened it: inside was a heavy ring, silver, and set with a beryl. The band was etched with a design of oak leaves. This was the ring that had been given by Gorhendad Oldbuck to Isumbras Took the First. Not the signet of the Thainship--which indeed, stayed with the Thain and was never locked away--but a simple ring of friendship, a reminder of their youth. It seemed only fitting that it now go back to the Brandybucks, as symbol of his and Perry’s friendship, and of the close ties between the two clans. He smiled to think of Perry’s reaction when he opened this, and realized what it was.

And now for the last gift. This one was in a case of crystal--a necklace of twisted gold, yellow, white and red, with a pendant of a perfectly shaped ruby, set in golden petals. It once had graced the neck of Berylla Boffin Baggins, Fam’s four times great-grandmother, and the common ancestress of himself, Perry, and Cousin Frodo Baggins. It had passed down to the Tooks through Rosa Baggins, who had wed Hildigrim Took, fourth son of the Old Took, Gerontius.

And if all went right, it would be not only a birthday gift, but a betrothal gift.

He hoped--oh how he hoped! that Goldilocks would say yes.

When they had been small children, they had been playmates, and had gamboled about at Bag End or Crickhollow or the Great Smials or Brandy Hall--whenever their visits had brought them together. And then they had each reached that stage most children go through, when lads think lasses are only an annoyance, and lasses think lads are disgusting. He and Perry spent far more time with her older brothers, Merry-lad and Pippin-lad, and had no time for her.

Perhaps they would have overcome such a stage in their tweens, but Goldie had gone to spend time with her sister Elanor in the Westmarch, and she had not yet returned when Fam had gone to Minas Anor for three years.

And then he had come home to find that the annoying lass had bloomed into a stunning beauty. *Perhaps* she was not so fair as her sister Elanor was reputed to be--Fam had not laid eyes on Elanor in several years either--though she was to be at his party this year. But *he’d* never seen a lass so lovely in all his days. He’d found himself stammering and tongue-tied in her presence, and all the courtly manners he’d learned in the South at the feet of the King deserted him altogether.

They’d met again from time to time in recent months, and Fam had regained much of his composure. They seemed to have a pleasant time in one another’s company, and sometimes, Fam thought he’d surprised a look on her face that made him think his regard might be returned. But he was not altogether certain.

Perry, who had yet to find a lass that he would settle down with, was puzzled that Fam should doubt it. “I am sure she’s taken with you! Every time you look away, she’s staring at you! But what’s the hurry? You are only just coming of age, and she’s *not* of age for a year yet! Besides, just imagine what Uncle Sam would say!”

And that was another thing. Fam *couldn’t* imagine it. He dearly loved Sam Gamgee, whom he had called “uncle” all his life--but, well, he knew the former gardener had some very odd opinions about things, especially gentlehobbits. And he also knew that Uncle Sam, as well as Goldi’s oldest brother, Frodo Gardner, were very protective of all the lasses in the large family. Fam knew he was loved as the son of Sam’s old friend Pippin--but would he be considered a “proper” suitor for the Mayor’s daughter?

When he had spoken to his father about it, the Thain had laughed, and told him that he’d handle “good old Sam”. Pippin seemed to find the idea of a Took and Gamgee (or Gardner) alliance delightful.

Fam nodded to himself, and the case with the necklace joined the box with the ring in his pocket.

__________________________________

The next day, his birthday, dawned fair and clear. He presented his gifts to his immediate family at second breakfast.

It was only his parents, Aunt Pearl, his sisters--and Perry, who had arrived a few days early with his own gift *to* the byrding: a magnificent white pony, a stallion, whose bloodlines were purely Rohirric. Fam was delighted with Argent, as he’d been told the pony’s name was. His own beloved Dapple was beginning to feel his years. He’d been thinking of a new pony for a while now.

Fam watched anxiously as his offerings were opened. He grinned at his parents’ reaction to the painting--both of them had tears in their eyes, and came over to embrace him warmly. His sisters and aunt seemed delighted with their gifts as well. But Fam watched closely as Perry opened his gift, his grey Brandybuck eyes filled with curious anticipation.

Perry’s jaw dropped, and he lifted the ring from the box. “Is this what I think it is?”

Fam nodded. “I thought perhaps it was time for that to be returned to your branch of the family. Just a reminder of how much the Tooks and Brandybucks are bound together.”

Perry nodded. His voice was a bit husky, as he said “Thank you.”

Fam noticed his oldest sister Primrose’s reaction to the gift. She was watching Perry intently, and when she saw her brother notice, she blushed and looked away. Fam smiled to himself. Perry might not have found the lass he’d settle down with yet, but if Fam was not mistaken, the lass had found Perry. And that suited Fam just fine. It was great being Perry’s cousin, but it would be even better to be his brother.

He bit his lip, and fretted just a little. Because he knew he’d found the lass *he* wanted. But would she want him?
___________________________________

The Gamgee-Gardner clan arrived right after elevenses, along with numerous other guests: Uncle Merry and Aunt Stella, with Perry’s sisters Wyn and Dilly; Uncle Freddy and Aunt Angelica, with Cousins Folco, Filibert and Bella; his mother’s sisters, Aunt Sapphire and Aunt Ruby, and a number of other cousins and friends in varying degrees of connections.

The Thain’s reception room was filling up rapidly. In one corner was a large table, with the gifts which Faramir would be distributing after the luncheon. He eyed the room, seeking Goldilocks. There she was, talking to Cousin Dilly and Cousin Flora. He went to the gift table, and unobtrusively slipped the package containing Goldie’s gift into his pocket.

Now, if he could only manage to get her to come away with him for a short while.

“Do you need some help, little brother?” He turned to find his sister Primmie at his elbow.

“I was just trying to figure out how to get Goldie away from here for a few minutes.”

Primrose grinned, and followed him as he approached the three lasses. They were discussing Elanor and Fastred’s family, for they were not expected to arrive until much later in the afternoon. Skillfully, Primrose inserted herself into the conversation, and soon had turned the talk.

Fam swallowed hard. “Goldie? It’s a bit close in here, don’t you think? Would you care to come for a turn in the garden with me?”

“Are you sure that would be proper, Fam? You *are* the guest of honor.”

“It’s so crowded, I don’t really think anyone will notice.”

Goldie nodded, and placed her hand on his arm. He led her out the open doors which led into the West Garden.

Rose and Diamond deep in conversation with Fam’s aunts Pearl and Pimpernel broke off as they watched the two leave.

Rose shook her head ruefully. Diamond looked at her, and said, “Do you want to follow them, or shall I?”

Pearl laughed. “You anxious mothers stay right here. *I’ll* follow them.”

Rose giggled as they watched Pearl slip out the door. “With Mistress Pearl doing the following, they won’t even know she’s there.” For Rose well remembered her visit to the Great Smials the spring she was betrothed to Sam, and her bemusement at Mistress Eglantine’s insistence that she and Sam always be watched when they were together. Working class hobbits did not much bother with that sort of thing. Pearl Took had always been very discreet.

Diamond looked at Rose. “Faramir’s very anxious; I am not sure he knows whether Goldie returns his feelings.”

Rose just smiled.

In another part of the room where he stood in conversation with Pippin, Sam had caught sight of the two leaving as well. Pippin reached over, and putting a hand on Sam’s shoulder, said, “Sam, my old friend, there’s something I’d like to talk to you about…”
_______________________________________

Faramir and Goldilocks had wandered aimlessly along the paths between the flowerbeds. At first, Goldie had tried to keep a conversation going, but Fam seemed rather distracted. She wondered what was on his mind--he clearly wanted to talk to her about something.

She scarcely dared to think what that something might be.

They stopped near the fountain at the center of the garden, and Fam turned to look at her. “Goldie, I wanted to give you your birthday present now. I didn’t want to wait until everyone else was opening theirs.”

He reached into his pocket, and took out a small slim package, wrapped in white lawn, and tied with a yellow ribbon.

He blushed. “The ribbon’s for you, too.” A yellow hair ribbon was an old-fashioned courtship gift from a lad to a lass.

Now she blushed, and bit her lip. She untied the bow, and slid the ribbon off, and the wrapping fell away. Her eyes grew huge, as she saw the necklace beneath its crystal cover. She looked up at him, a question in her eyes.

Fam’s hand trembled, but he reached down and lifted off the cover, and drew the chain forth. “I suppose you know this is more than just a birthday present. Goldilocks? Would you--could you--do me the honor of becoming my bride?”

She caught her breath. “Oh! Oh my!” For an instant that seemed like an eternity, she stared up at him, as if trying to be certain he meant the words, and then, putting her hand up to his cheek, she said, “Oh, yes!”

From her vantage point about twenty feet away, Pearl watched indulgently, as the two young people shared an embrace, and a kiss, and then she coughed, cleared her throat, and stepped forward.

They jumped apart, and then turned to face her. Fam was grinning foolishly, and Goldie had tears in her eyes, which were sparkling with joy.

“Aunt Pearl!” said Fam, “the most remarkable thing just happened!”

“Indeed?” she asked.
__________________________________

In the main dining hall of the Great Smials, one hundred and thirty three hobbits had sat down to a very fine birthday feast. There had been much gossip over the last few hours. Almost no one had missed the significance of the fact that the Thain’s son and the Mayor’s daughter had been arm in arm all afternoon, nor that she was sporting a very magnificent necklace. Nor could they miss the joy in her eyes and the exaltation on his face.

A goodly number of lasses who had come to the party in the hopes of getting the attention of the byrding realized their dreams were dashed, and so turned their attention to the food--and other lads.

As the Birthday Cake was brought in, Thain Peregrin rose, his goblet of rather fine wine in his hand.

“My friends--A toast! To my son, Faramir Took, who has this day Come of Age, and has become betrothed to Goldilocks Gamgee!”

And Mayor Sam was the first to raise his own glass in return!
__________________________________

*From The Two Towers, Chapter XI, “The Palantír”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List