Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Web of Treason  by Linda Hoyland

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Chapter Forty-Three – Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness. — John Wesley (quoted): Journal, Feb. 12, 1772.

When Faramir went outside again he found Éowyn occupied in unsaddling Roheryn. The Steward pulled her into a tight embrace and kissed her passionately. He clutched her to him tightly, fearing almost that she were but a dream that would melt away if he let her go.

After a few moments of savouring his nearness, she reluctantly pulled away. “We had better attend to the horses,” she said. “The poor creatures look exhausted!”

“I had to ride double with Aragorn,” Faramir explained. “He is much better than he was, but still very frail and my heart fears for him. Once you see what those brutes have done to him…”

“Did they hurt you as well?” Éowyn interrupted anxiously.

“No, at least not in body,” Faramir assured her.

Éowyn drew her husband close and kissed him again.

“What about me?” Elbeth cried impatiently, “I want to get down! What is it about grown ups that they always want to kiss each other? I shan’t waste my time kissing when I’m grown up.”

“I am sorry, Elbeth, I was just so happy to see my lady again,” Faramir said contritely, lifting her down from Zachus’ back. He grimaced with pain as he did so. “Do you remember your Aunt Éowyn?”

“Your hair was like gold when I met you before!” Elbeth remarked in bewilderment after studying Éowyn carefully for a few moments.

“I needed a disguise to stop the bad men who hurt the King finding me,” Éowyn explained. “So I dyed my hair to make me look like a woman of Gondor.” She expertly removed Zachus’ saddle as she spoke.

“I liked it better before,” Elbeth observed. “Why can’t I have golden hair?”

“Because your parents both had dark hair and children usually look like their parents,” Faramir explained. He had become accustomed by now to her questions. Exchanging a look with Éowyn, they mutually wondered if their daughter would be as inquisitive once she could talk.

“Would you like some supper?” Éowyn asked the little girl.

“Can I have bread and jam?” Elbeth replied.

“Indeed you can! Go inside now and I will fetch you some water to wash your hands with before we eat.”

“Why must I wash? Uncle Faramir didn’t make me!” Elbeth complained.

“Ladies and gentlemen always wash before meals,” Éowyn said sternly.

“You are in a house now and not the woods, so you must do what your Aunt Éowyn tells you to,” Faramir said sternly, ignoring the pleading looks Elbeth cast in his direction.

Elbeth pouted but went inside without further comment.

“You are hurt. I can see it!” Éowyn exclaimed once she and Faramir were alone.

“Aragorn says it is just a pulled muscle in my back,” Faramir told her, as he took the bridle off Roheryn. “But, Éowyn, it is so sad, he has lost all his healing power and his hands are like ice and one is crushed! He tried to ease my back but could do nothing. I fear they have broken him!”

Éowyn’s furious expression suggested, that were Aragorn’s tormentors before her at this moment, their days would be numbered. “Time and rest are great healers,” she said, rubbing Roheryn down vigorously.

“Are we safe here?” Faramir asked anxiously, “What has happened since I saw you last?”

“Damrod brought us here to his sister’s home the day after you left,” Éowyn replied. “Bereth has been very kind and helps us with the heavy work. She has even moved into the barn to give us more space and privacy. She has sent her own children to stay with her brother. Damrod visits us whenever he has leave. It seems safe enough and no one else has been near as us. We are very isolated here. I dyed my hair to avoid attracting attention just in case anyone was looking for us. Damrod told the people in the village that we were the wives of two of his company, waiting for our wounded men folk to return. You are supposed to have been wounded in a border skirmish against the Harradim.”

“That man is a treasure!” Faramir exclaimed. “Has he brought news from the City?”

“He told us that Imrahil was still in control of the Council, but they were growing impatient. Rumour has it that some want to find Eldarion and crown him, while others want to return to the rule of the Stewards. Since you disappeared, no one has known what to do. While the fever raged, no one was very interested in politics, but now it is abating, Damrod tells me that the people are growing restless.”

“We can do nothing until Aragorn regains his strength,” Faramir sighed.

“And that, is what we are going to concentrate on, and restoring you to full health as well!” Éowyn said firmly. “I think we have done all we can for the horses. Let us go inside now.”

They found Elbeth playing with the farm cat and her kittens by the stove; or rather, the mother cat mewing indignantly as Elbeth cuddled a tiny ginger kitten.

“Give him back to his mummy!” Éowyn demanded, pouring some water from a jug into a bowl. “Now come and wash your hands as I told you too. After you have eaten, you are having a bath.”

“Uncle Faramir didn’t make me have baths!” Elbeth complained, as she washed her grubby fingers.

“Come and see my little girl, Elbeth,” Faramir said, hastily changing the subject. “Where is Elestelle, Éowyn? I am longing to see her!”

Éowyn smiled and led the way into the living room where Elestelle and Eldarion were lying side by side in their cradles. Eldarion was banging his rattle on the side of the crib, while Elestelle was sleeping peacefully through the racket.

“How she has grown!” Faramir exclaimed. “She is so adorable, just like her mother.” He bent over the cradle, grimacing at the pain in his back as he did.

Elbeth eyed the infant critically before pronouncing, ”She is quite pretty! Who is the other baby?”

“That is Prince Eldarion,” Faramir told her.

Elbeth wrinkled her nose. “I’m not marrying him!” she pronounced. “He is far too noisy!”

“Indeed you are not!” Faramir laughed as he tenderly stroked his daughter’s downy head. “I am sure he has no wish to get married either. He is only a baby!”

“Can I play with the kittens again?” Elbeth asked, already bored with the babies.

“They want to have their supper too now. You can help me set the table,” Éowyn told her. “Faramir, you stay with the babies awhile and sit down and rest your back.” Thus saying, she returned to the kitchen taking Elbeth with her, where she finished preparing a simple, but tasty and nourishing meal for them. She then went in search of Aragorn and Arwen and discovered the Queen anxiously watching over her sleeping husband. “Supper is ready,” Éowyn told her friend, her eyes noting Aragorn’s pale and haggard appearance even in sleep. “How is he?”

“Not well. I fear what they have done to him,” Arwen said sadly.

“Perhaps we should examine him now?” Éowyn suggested, moving to pull aside the covers.

“He is exhausted. I think rest would help him the most at present,” Arwen replied. “He does not appear to be bleeding.”

“It would be better to tend him in the daylight,” Éowyn agreed, feeling Aragorn’s pulse. “Come then we will leave him to sleep while we eat.”

“I do not like to leave him alone,” Arwen protested.

“You cannot miss meals with a baby to feed, nor would Aragorn want you to,” Éowyn told her sternly. “We are only in the next room. I expect he will sleep for hours.”

Sighing, Arwen rose to her feet and followed Éowyn, leaving the door ajar so that her keen hearing would catch any sound from her husband.

Faramir knew he needed to tell Arwen and his wife everything that had happened, but was loath to do so in Elbeth’s presence. Also, feeling guilty at having neglected his niece on their arrival, he thought it a good idea to encourage her to tell the ladies about how she had helped Aragorn.

Elbeth was only too willing to oblige and enjoyed being the centre of attention while she told them how she had found her friend ‘Strider’ alone in the cold dark cellar, hungry, thirsty and in pain, and how every night she had brought him food and water.

“The Valar will surely bless you for your kindness to Estel!” Arwen exclaimed after listening with horror to the little girl’s story.

“And she was a great help when we hid in a cave in the forest until the King was able to travel,” Faramir added.

Elbeth beamed as she devoured another slice of bread and jam, even eating the crusts, which showed just how hungry she was.

Shortly afterwards, Eldarion started to cry. Elestelle quickly copied him. The two women rose from the table simultaneously.

“Faramir, will you sit with Aragorn, then Arwen can help me give Elbeth a bath after the babies have been fed?” Éowyn asked.

Faramir nodded and rose to his feet.

“I don’t need a bath!” Elbeth protested fiercely, “Tell them that I haven’t needed one for ages now, Uncle Faramir!”

Faramir had already left the room.

He made his way to where Aragorn was sleeping and sat down beside him on the bed. A single candle illuminated the room, casting a warm glow over the King’s sleeping features. Aragorn did at least look more peaceful now. He seemed, alas to have aged by many years and his gaunt features were etched with his suffering of the past weeks. Faramir gently took The King’s uninjured hand, which lay limp on the coverlet. To his dismay, it still felt dreadfully cold. He knew it was irrational, but part of him had hoped, that once reunited with Arwen, the warmth and vitality would return to his lord. Now it seemed that only time might heal him.

Not for the first time, Faramir wondered what it was about those who were evil, which made them want to destroy all that was good. All those, who truly knew Aragorn, loved him and came to see how goodness and nobility shone from him in every word and deed. The King had tried so hard to make Gondor a better place, working all day and sometimes half the night as well, to rebuild after the War, see that the poor and vulnerable were provided for, create just laws and restore Gondor to her past glories. Yet, his reward had been to be chained up like a mad dog, tortured, beaten and starved.

A considerable commotion from the kitchen disturbed his thoughts. Obviously, Elbeth was having her promised bath. Faramir was forced to smile as squeals of protest were gradually replaced by splashes and giggles. His niece was a spirited child; but what less could he expect from Boromir’s daughter? He feared the noise would awaken Aragorn, but the King only sighed softly in his sleep.

Éowyn entered and started rummaging round in a cupboard. “Did you bring anything with you for the child to wear, or Aragorn, for that matter?” she enquired.

“We only have the clothes we are wearing and some clean underwear,” Faramir informed her, getting stiffly to his feet to stand beside her.

“It smells like it! You men need to bathe just as much as the child did,” Éowyn retorted. “Aragorn will have to borrow some of your garments, which fortunately I thought to pack before we left with Damrod. As for Elbeth, we will just have to make do somehow until her clothes are washed and dried!” She snatched up a bundle of assorted garments and made to hurry out again.

Faramir caught his arm around her waist and kissed her tenderly. “It is so good to be with you again,” he murmured.

“You have brought a lot of extra work with you!” she exclaimed with mock severity.

Pressing a kiss to his lips, she hurried out again.

Faramir soon heard more protesting cries from Elbeth as the child objected to having her hair brushed.

Eventually, all went quiet and he was on the verge of drifting off to sleep when Éowyn came in again. Yawning, he sat up and stretched.

“ We’ve settled Elbeth down to sleep by the stove in the kitchen,” she informed him. “Come into the living room now, so I can take a look at your back.”

“It is nothing!” Faramir protested in a whisper, careful not awaken Aragorn. The King was now deeply asleep.

“Nonsense!” Éowyn replied briskly. “It is obvious you have been in pain all evening. Come on now!”

Faramir followed her, expecting any moment for Arwen to pass them to come and sit with her husband. Instead, she was sitting on a chair in the living room. Éowyn’s healing supplies were spread out on a table next to her.

“How is he?” Arwen asked. “You have my eternal gratitude for restoring my Estel to me!”

“Sleeping peacefully,” Faramir replied, finding it hard to meet her penetrating gaze after all he had done. He would have to tell her the truth soon.  

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List