Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dawn at Cormallen  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Initially I didn't expect to write a sequel for this, but Shirebound gave me a bunny and I just had to write it. There may be more eventually, I have a few other ideas to explore :)


Springtime in Ithilien

A tiny golden puppy ran past, pursued by Merry. Next came Frodo and Sam, walking side-by-side and trailed by another pair of puppies. At the end of the small procession was Pippin, flanked on either side by Gandalf and Aragorn, and with his own puppy scampering at his feet.

“Frodo’s is called Toffee,” Pippin was saying, “and Sam’s is Tater. Isn’t it wonderful that they’re thinking with their stomachs again? I, of course, was thinking of a more dignified name-”

Laughing, Frodo turned. “You nearly named yours Faramir,” he recalled.

Undaunted by the laughter bubbling around him, Pippin went on. “Well, he did give us the puppies. I thought it would have been a nice way to honor him.” He grinned suddenly. “I suppose I’ll have to settle instead for naming my firstborn after him.”

“A wise decision,” Gandalf agreed, his eyes twinkling merrily. “Which name did you choose at last, Peregrin?”

“Crumpet,” Pippin replied. “I thought it went well with Merry’s.”

“And what is his called?” Aragorn asked.

“Biscuit,” Pippin said. He picked up his pace as his puppy darted ahead. “Oi! Crumpet is too energetic. I can’t keep up with him!”

Gandalf and Aragorn exchanged an amused glance. Somehow they doubted that Pippin lacked the energy to keep up with a puppy, even while bandaged and limping.

They were soon proved correct, as Crumpet raced ahead, spurring Toffee and Tater into action as well. The three puppies managed to keep well out of reach of their hobbits, forcing Frodo, Sam and Pippin to walk more briskly than they had managed recently, and thus bring strength and vigor to their still-healing muscles and bones.

Gandalf and Aragorn continued at their leisurely pace. Neither had any pressing matters to attend to this afternoon, and were content to join the hobbits on their planned outing: a visit with those soldiers who had been most grievously wounded. It was the hobbits’ belief that the puppies would bring cheer to these men, and Aragorn had readily supported their compassionate gesture.

“Faramir’s gift has certainly been a success,” he remarked, watching closely as Frodo, Sam and Pippin finally caught up with Merry, and all four hobbits tumbled onto the soft grass, patting and hugging their puppies and laughing breathlessly.

Gandalf smiled. “The puppies have brought the hobbits comfort and joy, and helped them to forget their hurts. Indeed there could not be a greater gift.”

“Since the puppies have arrived none of the hobbits have had nightmares,” Aragorn noted. He smiled. “Merry tells me that Biscuit even keeps his arm warm at night.”

Their conversation was interrupted by insistent barking, followed by a peal of laughter. They peered ahead, watching the puppies frolicking in the grass, tails wagging as they competed for the hobbits’ attention. It was the sight of four happy hobbits, however, that made Gandalf and Aragorn laugh.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List