Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

There are many fabulous authors who have written about the Dúnedain. I can never hope to match their detail, nor their ridiculously intriguing plots, but merely offer my own interpretation about it. This should be the first of many ficlets surrounding such OCs.

This takes place mere minutes after Prompt 39 (Cradle).


Prompt 45: Beginnings
Ficlet: Family Reunion
Rating: G
The Angle, Fall 2951 TA

Maendir was the leader of the small party that had brought Arathorn's son to Sarnhold, and now he led the young man to the acting chieftain's residence. He glanced at Aragorn once more, and hoped that the heir to the chieftainship would not disappoint. He had enjoyed the young man's company on their journey to the fortified village, and, if things went well, the current chieftain would see what he had seen.

The older man soon stopped in front of the house. "This is the home of Haladan, son of Arthwen who was daughter of Argonui, and the acting Chieftain of the Dúnedain. You will meet him inside. Fare well, my lord Aragorn." With a short bow, Maendir departed without another word.

Aragorn went up the short flight of steps that led to the home, and paused at the door. He exhaled, and without further delay, knocked on the door.

It was quickly opened by a tall, lithe woman with long, wavy dark hair. Aragorn thought he was seeing his mother, but soon saw that there were a few distinct differences between Gilraen and this woman.

Before he could think on it further, the woman gasped, putting her hand to her mouth. "Oh Valar... you look just like him. But no," the woman amended, bringing her hand up to brush away a strand of hair. "No, your hair is just as unruly as Gilraen's. And you have her nose. Oh, Aragorn!" she exclaimed, suddenly engulfing him in a large embrace, "it is wonderful to see you."

Aragorn embraced her as well, but once she released him, he gave her an apologetic smile. "You obviously know who I am, my lady, but I have yet to make your acquaintance."

"Oh goodness, of course! You were only a child when you left us," the woman shook her head. "My apologies. I am Haeleth, wife to Haladan who is the residing chieftain. Gilraen is my younger sister. But enough of this talk out in the cold! Please come in, Aragorn."

He gladly took the invitation, and as she shut the door behind him, a voice called from another room to the right of the hallway.

"Haeleth! Is it him?"

"It is, mother, it is!" Haeleth said gladly, taking Aragorn's cloak and hanging it by the doorway. She quickly led the young man down the hall, and they almost bumped into a woman with dark hair speckled with grey strands. She took one look at Aragorn before she embraced him.

"Aragorn! So many years have I waited to see you once again." She looked him over closely, looking deeply into his eyes. "Yes. Yes, you are all that I have hoped for." Her smile faded slightly as she brushed his hair. "I was saddened to hear that Gilraen was not with you. She has been away for so long."

Aragorn, who recognized her as his grandmother Ivorwen, said, "If it is any comfort to you, my lady grandmother, I do have a letter from her to you and the rest of the family that remains here." He dug into a small bag he had with him, and pulled out a small tube that held the parchment inside. He gave it to the older woman, who took it graciously.

"Thank you, Aragorn," she said. "Now come, the rest of the family is waiting to meet you." She led him to a parlour, and there sat an older man, a young man who looked to be Aragorn's age, and two younger girls. The older man stood as he entered the room.

Aragorn gave a short bow to the older man. "Are you Haladan, the acting Chieftain of the Dúnedain?" he asked.

"I am," the man responded, "and there is no doubt in my mind as to who you are. Even if your arrival had not been revealed to me, you would be known to me; you resemble your parents greatly." Haladan smiled. "Welcome to Sarnhold, nephew." He turned to his children, all who were standing now. "This is my son, Halbarad, and my daughters Lothwen and Isthel."

They each greeted one another, and soon the family was seated around the small room.

"Of course, this is not your whole family, Aragorn," Ivorwen started. "My husband Dírhael is out on patrol, and your other grandmother, Merendis, is currently recovering from an illness.

"How ill is she?" Aragorn asked, concerned.

"Oh, she was not doing well for a while, but she is now recovering," she reassured him. "She will soon be on her feet once more."

"I will pay her a visit later," said Aragorn.

"She would be delighted," Haeleth said, "but first tell us about yourself, and how you and my sister fared in Rivendell all these years."

Aragorn did gladly, and throughout the next hour Aragorn began many new relationships that would last for years to come.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List