Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Adventures of Jo and Little Frodo  by Elanor Silmariën

~Prologue~

It was a day early in October. Sam Gamgee was sitting in his study, reading a book on Shire Farming. The Smial was silent. Elanor, Frodo-lad and Baby Rose had been put down for a nap and Rosie had gone down to the market for cheese and carrots.

A moment later, Sam heard little footsteps in the hall, and the door cracked open to reveal a small four year old hobbit lad standing there, tears streaming down his face.

"What is it, Frodo-lad?" Sam asked, holding his arms out to the boy.

"I saw him, Da. He was huwt and he was sad," the lad said between tears. He climbed onto his Da's lap.

"Who?" Sam asked, wiping tears off his son's face.

"Uncle Fwodo," Frodo-lad said.

Sam gazed into his son's clear blue eyes for a moment. "Are you sure?"

Frodo nodded.

"What did he look like? Was anyone with him?"

"He had bwue eyes, like me, and he was with a hobbit and tawl people," Frodo said. "He looked so sad, Da!"

Sam smiled. "He'll be all right, Frodo lad," he said, hugging his lad to him.

"Are you sure, Da?"

"Yes. Lord Elrond and Bilbo and Gandalf are there with him. Do you think you could fall asleep here in my lap?" he asked.

Little Frodo rubbed his eyes and nodded.

A moment later the child was asleep, and Sam heard the door to the smial open. Rosie entered the room.

"I thought he was in bed, Sam," she said, putting her hands on her hips.

"He was scared, love," Sam said. "He saw Frodo. Like it was a vision or something. Frodo-lad said he was hurt and sad and.... Have you looked at the calendar today?"

"October sixth," Rosie murmured. "What does it mean, Sam?"

"I'm not sure. But we'll just have to keep an eye on it," Sam replied, smiling down at his son. The boy, though not related to Frodo Baggins by blood, bore a strong resemblance to his namesake. His facial structure was thin and fine, and his eyes were the biggest, bluest eyes Sam had ever seen.

"Well then, bundle this lad off to bed, love. I must talk to you about having Josephine Burrows watch the children tomorrow while you and I go up to Bywater for that party."





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List