Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Breaking Point  by shirebound

THE BREAKING POINT

Chapter 2 -- Facing the Music

Frodo hadn’t wandered very far from the Company, but the walk back seemed endless to the hobbit. His steps grew slower and slower, until they stopped altogether just shy of the hillock behind which the Fellowship had been setting up camp. Aragorn, his arm around Frodo’s shoulders, stopped with him.

“Frodo?”

“Aragorn, you may have enjoyed my tantrum, but I doubt anyone else did. Except Merry, I guess.” Frodo hesitated. “And maybe Gandalf. I probably scared Pippin out of a year’s growth. And Sam won’t underst--”

Aragorn squatted down in front of Frodo and put both hands on his shoulders, forcing Frodo to look in his eyes. He kept his face stern, but it wasn’t easy since a laugh kept trying to get out.

“Frodo, you are the most frustrating person! Do you think everyone’s going to run off and leave you here? Respect doesn’t just come with being compliant and agreeable, you know. Often we have to speak out, tell the truth, and reap the consequences. Legolas and Gimli are both adults, as are you. This is a small but important moment, Frodo, as are most things in life.”

“But what do I say to them?”

“Nothing, Frodo, you’ve already said it. It’s up to them to let you know how they feel now. You don’t have to revert to the Terror of Brandy Hall, but it’s fine to speak up when you need to. All right?”

A small smile. “Yes.”

“Good.” Aragorn brushed some of the wind-whipped curls back from Frodo’s face. “Now let’s go have some dinner. Sam lives to feed you, you know.” Frodo grinned at the truth in this, and Aragorn took the opportunity to stand up and motion Frodo to go on ahead. Aragorn was glad to see Frodo’s expression change from distress to amusement. It would certainly not be a boring journey.

When Frodo reached the campsite he saw that Sam was indeed fussing over a steaming pot, filling mugs with something. It was nice to have a fire for a change, even one that flickered intermittently in the incessant wind. Merry and Pippin looked up at him from where they were sitting with Boromir and then lowered their eyes, but not before Frodo saw a delighted smile on Merry’s face which he made no effort to hide. He had entertained Merry, anyway. Frodo looked up just enough to notice that Legolas and Gimli were still sitting together on the same rock they were sharing when he left, but he didn’t meet their eyes. Gandalf was nowhere to be seen.

While he walked over to his bedroll, Frodo wondered what had gone on while he was away. Maybe Sam had told everyone he would feel better after he ate. More likely they had taken a vote on who would make a more stable Ringbearer. Frodo plopped down on the blanket spread between Sam’s bedroll and Aragorn’s, which Sam had thoughtfully spread out and anchored against the wind. Unable to help himself, Frodo stole another glance at Merry. One look was too much, and Frodo found himself smiling despite every effort to feel tense and nervous. Good old Merry. Maybe he should tell Aragorn some stories about him. That would...

Frodo sensed someone walking over and holding out a mug to him. He reached out his hand, the usual “Thank you, Sam” dying on his lips as he looked up and saw that it was Legolas who stood before him.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List