Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Marigold's Red Book  by MarigoldG


Elemental Spirits by Marigold
Beta by Llinos


The four Travellers described...

Frodo

Frodo's soul is of the air. Before the Quest he breezed about the Shire, a gentle wind, eager to ramble where and when he would, as fancy took him.

Then the Ring awakened, but could find no hold, so gentle was the Bearer’s spirit and yet strong and fierce as the northerly gale.

He seems almost weightless now, since his desperate burden is no more and, were Frodo not anchored by his love for the others and their love for him, he might soar away. Someday he will, for air cannot be held in place by anything – not even love.

*****

Sam

What is Sam but the earth itself? A lover and custodian of growing things, solid and nurturing, always dependable. Plain in some ways perhaps, but with a surpassing beauty when one takes the time to really see. Like the earth, he is the giver of sustenance, the protector, the steadfast support of those he takes as his responsibility.

He is what he is and desires to be no more. Though the Ring sang to him of power and wealth, wise Sam understood his place in the world and did not desire to rise above it. His feet are firmly planted.

*****

Merry

Merry is fire. He burns hot with loyalty and protection for those he loves and blazes with bright searing flame against injustice and evil. He burns warm in his care and concern for all others, especially for the brother of his heart. The light of wisdom and love of knowledge burns in his eyes and he devours books and teaching as a fire devours dry wood, while the flicker of mischief is in his grin.

The Quest threatened to extinguish his ardent flame, but succeeded only in causing Merry to shine all the brighter and to burn all the fiercer.

*****

Pippin

Pippin bubbles as water does. He travels merrily through life chattering and singing, like a shimmering brook, bringing pleasure and heartsease to all around him. His purity and innocence are a refreshing draught from a clear mountain spring. Though the War sucked dry those qualities in so many others, it could not quench him, for he is above all things unquenchable. His cheerfulness flows forth, a tangible thing engulfing and cleansing those that had thought themselves beyond such joy.

Yet Pippin has the relentless fortitude of a mighty river, capable of rising up and drowning those that would do harm.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List