Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Testaments of the Past  by Dreamflower

Here is a link to pictures of items in the box:

http://gryffinflower.livejournal.com/4875.html?#cutid1

Here are the letters from Bilbo to Frodo after he left the Shire: First letter:

"3 Winterfilth S.R. 1401
The Prancing Pony
Bree

My Dear Frodo,

I am fortunate enough to find a tinker who is planning to cross the Shire from here, and so I take this opportunity to send you word that your old uncle has made it safely thus far. While a bit tired and footsore, I am otherwise fine. Young Nuri says we will stay here for a day or so, to get provisions, and it looks as though we will continue our journey on ponyback.

Bree is a nice little town. I find myself regretting that I never brought you here for a visit.
You would enjoy seeing all the Men here, and the quaint shops and tall buildings.
I do hope that the relatives did not give you too much trouble on my account, and that you are settling in nicely as Master of Bag End.

I miss you very much, my lad, but I am also feeling much lighter and freer than I have for many a year. I think perhaps this journey will be good for my health, for though I never looked it, I had very much begun to feel my years.

Do take care of yourself, Frodo. I know that you are missing me, but you’ve a long and happy life ahead, and many other good friends who love you.

I do not know when next I will have opportunity to write.

Your loving Uncle Bilbo"


Next letter:

"2 Thrimidge S.R. 1402
Erebor

My Dear Frodo,

I am leaving now from the Lonely Mountain. I am very glad that I had an opportunity to visit here once again, and to see it, and Dale, recovered altogether from the devastation of Smaug. The Mountain and the Valley around it are once more green and lush, trees now grow where before were only cinders and ash. Villages and towns have sprung up, and trade is brisk. It is good to know I had some little part in helping that come about.
King Daín greeted me as an honoured guest, and I was feasted and partied by King Brand in Dale. It was also good to see many of my old friends once more.

Still, I find myself restless, and I fully intend to do more exploring when I leave from here. I do not know where I may go--I may wander South, where I hear cities of Men, vast places of stone may be found, and other realms of Elves. Perhaps even East or North. I do not know. The world is a much larger place than even I remember it being, somehow.

I hope this finds you well. I do miss you a great deal, my lad, and often find myself turning to tell you something, only to realise you are not by my side. Yet while it would have been wonderful to share all this with you, it gives me so much comfort to know that Bag End is in your hands now; to know that my old hole is being well-taken care of, and that you are upholding your rightful place as Head of the Family. I hope you do not allow Otho and Lobelia to take too many liberties--I know your gentle nature, none better. It is my fond hope that you might even find a lass and fill Bag End at last with lots of little hobbits, but you are still young yet, and have plenty of time for such things.

When I find another messenger and another opportunity, I will send you another letter. In the meanwhile, rest assured that I am in good health and safe, and will always remain,

your loving Uncle,

Bilbo."


Next letter

"6 Forelithe, S.R. 1404

My dear Frodo,

I was most happy to receive your letter, with the news that you are doing well, and that Bag End and Hobbiton are flourishing. I especially enjoyed your accounts of the things your rascals of cousins got up to during their visits to you. I remember wee Pippin as a very engaging and charming little fellow. And to think that Merry is well into his tweens now! I am also pleased that young Fatty Bolger seems to be living up to his promise of intelligence, though I am sorry to hear his parents discourage his interest in learning. I was also sorry to hear your news of Old Rory. He and I were dear friends, and it is hard to realise he has gone before me.

Gandalf and I have been having wonderful conversations about all the latest doings in the Shire, and he brought me the leaf that you so kindly sent. I know that he will be heading once more out into the Wild, but he has said that he will be checking on you again soon, which relieves my mind a good deal.

As for myself, I have found a nice place for my retirement, where I am free to indulge my scholarly interests, and to write my little bits of poetry from time to time without interruptions. Everyone is very kind to me, and quite indulgent of this old hobbit.

I do miss you still, and the Shire, and a few times have thought of returning for a visit, but I am afraid that age has caught up with me at last, and I am no longer up to such traipsing about. And it would not do for me to show my nose back in the Shire after the manner of my leaving. It might create difficulties for you.

I am giving this letter to Gandalf, as he says he will be going back to the Shire later this year.

Love,

Your fond Uncle Bilbo"


And another letter

"10 Halimath, S.R. 1408

My dear Frodo,

Gandalf is here once more, and has consented to bring this letter, along with good wishes for you on our Birthday.

I wrote to you about two years ago, in response to your last letter, but I am sorry to say that the messenger went awry, and after many months, the letter found its way back to me, much the worse for wear. There are still many dangers in the Wild. So I decided that it would be unwise to imperil any other messengers in that manner. That is why I had to wait for Gandalf to return.

You will be forty! That is so hard for me to imagine, when I remember the curious young tween who came to live with me so many years ago! But Gandalf has assured me that you have come into your own, and that you are very well-respected as the Master of Bag End, and the Head of the Bagginses. I confess to a bit of disappointment at the news that you still have found no lass to catch your eye, but you are young yet. And perhaps you are simply a confirmed bachelor as am I, and I should be the last to find fault with that!

I do still miss you, my lad. And there are many things I would like to share with you, but I cannot write them without revealing my whereabouts. Just know that I am safe, and that I think of you often.

All my love,

Uncle Bilbo"

Last letter:

"8 Wedmath, S.R. 1417

My dear Frodo,

I know that it has been a long while since last I wrote. But you have been a good deal on my mind of late; I have been worrying about you, and having had no word from you in several years I do not know what basis there is for my worry.

Of course that is my own fault for being so cagey that only Gandalf may deliver your letters. But I’ve always feared that if you knew where I was, you’d follow after me.

Do you know, I’ve also found myself worrying about my old ring? I remember the last few years before I left, how it would somehow need looking after. It may sound rather silly, but sometimes the thing seemed to change its size or weight, and shrink or get larger! I once had it slip off my finger at a most inconvenient moment! And another time, it actually got too tight for a moment, and I feared I could not remove it! I suppose that may be part of its magic; I wouldn’t know about such things, but do take care with it.

Do not worry about me. I am old, though I still have hopes of surpassing the Old Took, but I am safe and warm, and among friends. And it often comforts me to imagine you, safe and warm at Bag End, among your own friends.

Love,

Uncle Bilbo"


Frodo’s first Last Will and Testament


LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

OF

FRODO BAGGINS


Be it remembered that I, Frodo Baggins, a resident of Hobbiton, located in the West Farthing of the Shire, being of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, and mindful of the uncertainties of this life, do hereby make, publish and declare this document as my Last Will and Testament, and hereby revoke all former wills and testaments or writings and codicils thereto, by me made.

ARTICLE I. Funeral Expense. It is my desire that all of my funeral expenses be paid out of the assets of my estate as soon as practicable after my death, and I order and direct that any members of my family who have disbursed their personal funds for the payment of my funeral expenses be reimbursed promptly by my Executor.

ARTICLE II. Personal Effects. All of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, china, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed to my dear cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, or the survivor thereof. In the event both of my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, shall predecease me, then and in that event, upon my death, that cousin’s portion of all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, mathoms, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck.

ARTICLE III. Specific Bequests. I hereby give, devise, and bequeath Bag End to the head of the Baggins family.

ARTICLE IV. Disposition of Residuary.

A. Upon my death, all of the rest, residue, and residuary of my estate, herein referred to as my Residuary Estate, be it real property, personal property or mixed, wherever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed, or to which I may be or become in any way entitled or have any interest, shall be distributed to my dear cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, or the survivor thereof.

B. In the event that both of my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, shall predecease me, then and in that event, that cousin’s portion of my Residuary Estate shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck.

ARTICLE V. Payment to Minors and Incompetents. Except as provided for in Articles III and IV, if, pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, any portion of my estate becomes payable to any beneficiary during such beneficiary’s minority, or to any beneficiary who shall have been determined to be incompetent, my Executor, in his sole discretion, shall be authorised to distribute said portion of the estate to a parent or guardian of the beneficiary, or to the person with whom such beneficiary resides, without obligation by the Executor to look to the proper application or use of any payment so made; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may make distributions in such manner as he believes will best benefit the beneficiary, and also may pay to the beneficiary directly such sums as the Executor shall approve as an allowance; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may accumulate and hold all or a portion of the assets which otherwise would be distributed to the beneficiary, and distribute said assets to the beneficiary when he or she attains the age of thirty-three (33) years, or upon removal of the incapacity. However, if said beneficiary dies before the age of thirty-three (33) years, or prior to the removal of the incapacity, and no other provision is made in this Will for the passing of such beneficiary’s interest to others, then my Executor shall distribute any accumulated corpus and income to the estate of the beneficiary.

ARTICLE VI. Renunciation. I hereby resign, renounce, and relinquish my position as head of the Baggins family upon my death.

ARTICLE VII. Powers of Executor. In the administration of my estate pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, the Executor shall have the following powers, which may be exercised in whole or in part, and which shall be deemed to be supplementary to and not exclusive of the general powers of executors pursuant to the rules of the Shire, and shall include all powers necessary to put the same into effect. Such powers may be exercised independently and without the prior or subsequent approval of any authority, and nobody dealing with the Executor shall be required to inquire into the propriety of any of his actions.

A. To retain, in his absolute discretion, and for such period as he shall deem advisable, any and all investments and other properties held by me at the time of my death without liability for any loss incurred by reason of the retention of such investments or properties.

B. To sell, pledge, and otherwise dispose of the assets of my estate and of the interests established pursuant to this Will, or any part of said assets, when he deems such action necessary and proper for the purpose of complying with my testamentary desires as herein expressed, and for the purpose of conserving, preserving and maintaining my estate.

C. With respect to any indebtedness held by me at the time of my death, to enter into agreements for the alteration of my interest therein, or of the rights and obligations under any contract with respect thereto, in effect at the time of my death.

D. To take any action deemed advisable to enforce, compromise or arbitrate any obligation, lien or other claim held by me, and to agree to any rescission or modification of any contract or agreement.

E. To hold undivided interests in any other properties held by me or that may form part of my estate at the time of my death, or that may be purchased or acquired thereafter on behalf of my estate without being required to make a physical division of any properties which may form a part of my estate at the time of my death.

F. In the event that at the time of my death I am a member of any partnership, joint venture, or undertaking, whether alone or jointly with one (1) or more persons, I hereby authorise and empower the Executor to carry out and perform the terms of such partnership or joint venture, including furnishing additional assets as may be necessary or desirable in the sole discretion of my Executor, it being my intention that the Executor shall have full power to cooperate with my surviving partner or partners, or joint venturers in such manner as shall be deemed advisable by the Executor, in order that the continuation, development and intention of such partnerships, ventures, or undertakings shall not be prevented or interfered with by virtue of the continued interest therein of my estate.

G. To loan or borrow money to or for such businesses or business interests which I may own at the time of my death.

H. To lease any real estate for such terms and upon such conditions and in such manner as he may deem advisable, and any lease so made shall be valid and binding for the full term thereof. To make repairs, replacements and improvements, structural or otherwise, to any such real estate; to insure against fire or other risks as he may deem proper. To subdivide real estate, to dedicate same to public use, and to grant easements as he may deem proper.

I. Whenever required or permitted to divide and distribute any funds under this Will, to make such distributions in money or in kind, or partly in money and partly in kind, and to exercise all powers herein conferred until my estate had been fully distributed.

J. To employ accountants, attorneys, and such agents as he may deem advisable; to pay reasonable compensation for their services.

K. To determine which assets or portion thereof shall be distributed to or for the benefit of each beneficiary of my estate in satisfaction of the share which he or she is entitled to receive under this, my Last Will and Testament. The selection and distribution of assets by the Executor shall be binding and conclusive upon all persons and shall not be subject to question by any beneficiary.

ARTICLE VIII. Appointment of Executor.

A. I hereby appoint my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, as Executor under this, my Last Will and Testament.

B. In the event my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Paladin Took, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor.

ARTICLE IX. Construction of Will. Wherever the context of any provision of this Will permits, any word in either number shall be construed to mean both singular and plural; any word in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter; any word in the feminine gender shall include the masculine and neuter.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Frodo Baggins, have signed and published this Will this eighth day of Winterfilth, S.R. 1403.

________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

_________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

_________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

_________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

_________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

_________________________ (SEAL)
PONTO BAGGINS

_________________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

_________________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN COTTON


This instrument was signed, sealed, published and declared by Frodo Baggins, the Testator above named, as and for his Last Will and Testament, in the presence of us, who in his presence and at his request, and in the presence of each other, have hereupon subscribed our names as witnesses, this clause first having been read to us and we now intending to certify that the matters herein specified took place in fact and in the order named. Furthermore, we, the Testator, Frodo Baggins, and the witnesses respectively, whose names are signed to the foregoing instrument, do hereby declare to the undersigned officer that the Testator signed the instrument as the Last Will and Testament of Frodo Baggins and that he signed voluntarily and that each of the witnesses in the presence of the Testator, at his request, and in the presence of each other, signed the Will as a witness and that to the best of the knowledge of each witness the Testator was at that time thirty-three (33) years or more of age, of sound mind and under no constraint or undue influence.


________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

_________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

_________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

_________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

_________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

_________________________ (SEAL)
PONTO BAGGINS

_________________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

_________________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN COTTON

Subscribed and acknowledged before me by Frodo Baggins, the Testator, and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the eighth day of Winterfilth, S.R. 1403.


_________________________(SEAL)
Herveus Grubb, Attorney

Frodo’s second Last Will and Testament

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

OF

FRODO BAGGINS


Be it remembered that I, Frodo Baggins, a resident of Hobbiton, located in the West Farthing of the Shire, being of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, and mindful of the uncertainties of this life, do hereby make, publish and declare this document as my Last Will and Testament, and hereby revoke all former wills and testaments or writings and codicils thereto, by me made.

ARTICLE I. Funeral Expense. It is my desire that all of my funeral expenses be paid out of the assets of my estate as soon as practicable after my death, and I order and direct that any members of my family who have disbursed their personal funds for the payment of my funeral expenses be reimbursed promptly by my Executor.

ARTICLE II. Personal Effects. All of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, china, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed equally between my dearest cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. In the event that either of my cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, then and in that event, upon my death, that cousin’s portion of all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, mathoms, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of whichever of my cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took, has predeceased me.

ARTICLE III. Specific Bequests. I hereby give, devise, and bequeath the following:

A. To my dear cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, I leave all of my Brandybuck family inheritance and heirlooms, including all of the jewelry in the jewelry box that belonged to my mother, Primula Baggins, any and all items of needlework including but not limited to knitted coverlets, quilts, embroidered tablecloths, created by my mother, Primula Baggins, any household items that had belonged to my mother, Primula Baggins, and still remain in Buckland, the framed marriage certificate of my parents. In the event that my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Brandybuck family heirlooms and inheritance equally between all of the children of my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck. In the event my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Brandybuck family heirlooms and inheritance to the Master of the Hall to be restored to the Brandybuck family.

B. To my dear cousin, Peregrin Took, I leave all of my Baggins family inheritance and my Took family heirlooms, including the jewels that came down through the Took line from Adamanta Took nee Chubb to Belladonna Baggins nee Took, including the matched set of gold necklace with diamond pendant, pair of gold and diamond earrings, and gold and diamond bracelet, the framed marriage document of Bungo and Belladonna Baggins, and the portrait of Belladonna Took. In the event that my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Baggins family inheritance and Took family heirlooms equally between all of the children of my cousin, Peregrin Took. In the event my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Baggins family inheritance to the head of the Baggins family to be restored to the Baggins and all of my Took family heirlooms to my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck.

C. To Ponto Baggins, I leave all of my Baggins family heirlooms to keep for the Baggins family, including the Baggins Family Books along with a carved wooden case in which they are kept, a signet ring with the seal of the head of the Baggins family, a golden necklace with a pendant of beryl that was originally created for Berylla Baggins nee Boffin; the silver platter engraved with the Baggins family monogram that is passed down to each head of family, and my cradle which was built and carved by my father, Drogo Baggins.

D. To my friend and neighbour, Hamfast Gamgee, who has been much more than a gardener to me, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath Number 3 Bagshot Row and a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year, whether it is proper or not.

E. To my friend and neighbour, Tilbert “Daddy” Twofoot, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year.

F. To my friend and neighbour, Ivy Rumble, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year.

ARTICLE IV. Disposition of Residuary.

A. Upon my death, all of the rest, residue, and residuary of my estate, herein referred to as my Residuary Estate, be it real property, personal property or mixed, wherever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed, or to which I may be or become in any way entitled or have any interest, shall be distributed equally between my dearest cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took.

B. In the event that either of my cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, then and in that event, that cousin’s portion of my Residuary Estate shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of whichever of my cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took, has predeceased me.

C. In the event that either of my cousins, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, that cousin’s portion of my Residuary Estate shall be distributed to my remaining cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck or Peregrin Took.

ARTICLE V. Payment to Minors and Incompetents. Except as provided for in Articles III and IV, if, pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, any portion of my estate becomes payable to any beneficiary during such beneficiary’s minority, or to any beneficiary who shall have been determined to be incompetent, my Executor, in his sole discretion, shall be authorised to distribute said portion of the estate to a parent or guardian of the beneficiary, or to the person with whom such beneficiary resides, without obligation by the Executor to look to the proper application or use of any payment so made; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may make distributions in such manner as he believes will best benefit the beneficiary, and also may pay to the beneficiary directly such sums as the Executor shall approve as an allowance; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may accumulate and hold all or a portion of the assets which otherwise would be distributed to the beneficiary, and distribute said assets to the beneficiary when he or she attains the age of thirty-three (33) years, or upon removal of the incapacity. However, if said beneficiary dies before the age of thirty-three (33) years, or prior to the removal of the incapacity, and no other provision is made in this Will for the passing of such beneficiary’s interest to others, then my Executor shall distribute any accumulated corpus and income to the estate of the beneficiary.

ARTICLE VI. Implementation Upon Constructive Death. In the event I declare in a written statement to my attorneys my intentions to permanently leave the Shire and its environs, then and in that event, upon receipt of said written statement by my attorneys, it shall be construed that I have constructively died as of the time set forth in said written statement and all of the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, shall at that time be implemented with the full force and effect as if I were deceased.

ARTICLE VII. Renouncement. I hereby resign, renounce, and relinquish my position as head of the Baggins family upon my actual or constructive death.

ARTICLE VIII. Powers of Executor. In the administration of my estate pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, the Executor shall have the following powers, which may be exercised in whole or in part, and which shall be deemed to be supplementary to and not exclusive of the general powers of executors pursuant to the rules of the Shire, and shall include all powers necessary to put the same into effect. Such powers may be exercised independently and without the prior or subsequent approval of any authority, and nobody dealing with the Executor shall be required to inquire into the propriety of any of his actions.

A. To retain, in his absolute discretion, and for such period as he shall deem advisable, any and all investments and other properties held by me at the time of my death without liability for any loss incurred by reason of the retention of such investments or properties.

B. To sell, pledge, and otherwise dispose of the assets of my estate and of the interests established pursuant to this Will, or any part of said assets, when he deems such action necessary and proper for the purpose of complying with my testamentary desires as herein expressed, and for the purpose of conserving, preserving and maintaining my estate.

C. With respect to any indebtedness held by me at the time of my death, to enter into agreements for the alteration of my interest therein, or of the rights and obligations under any contract with respect thereto, in effect at the time of my death.

D. To take any action deemed advisable to enforce, compromise or arbitrate any obligation, lien or other claim held by me, and to agree to any rescission or modification of any contract or agreement.

E. To hold undivided interests in any other properties held by me or that may form part of my estate at the time of my death, or that may be purchased or acquired thereafter on behalf of my estate without being required to make a physical division of any properties which may form a part of my estate at the time of my death.

F. In the event that at the time of my death I am a member of any partnership, joint venture, or undertaking, whether alone or jointly with one (1) or more persons, I hereby authorise and empower the Executor to carry out and perform the terms of such partnership or joint venture, including furnishing additional assets as may be necessary or desirable in the sole discretion of my Executor, it being my intention that the Executor shall have full power to cooperate with my surviving partner or partners, or joint venturers in such manner as shall be deemed advisable by the Executor, in order that the continuation, development and intention of such partnerships, ventures, or undertakings shall not be prevented or interfered with by virtue of the continued interest therein of my estate.

G. To loan or borrow money to or for such businesses or business interests which I may own at the time of my death.

H. To lease any real estate for such terms and upon such conditions and in such manner as he may deem advisable, and any lease so made shall be valid and binding for the full term thereof. To make repairs, replacements and improvements, structural or otherwise, to any such real estate; to insure against fire or other risks as he may deem proper. To subdivide real estate, to dedicate same to public use, and to grant easements as he may deem proper.

I. Whenever required or permitted to divide and distribute any funds under this Will, to make such distributions in money or in kind, or partly in money and partly in kind, and to exercise all powers herein conferred until my estate had been fully distributed.

J. To employ accountants, attorneys, and such agents as he may deem advisable; to pay reasonable compensation for their services.

K. To determine which assets or portion thereof shall be distributed to or for the benefit of each beneficiary of my estate in satisfaction of the share which he or she is entitled to receive under this, my Last Will and Testament. The selection and distribution of assets by the Executor shall be binding and conclusive upon all persons and shall not be subject to question by any beneficiary.

ARTICLE IX. Appointment of Executor.

A. I hereby appoint my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, as Executor under this, my Last Will and Testament.

B. In the event my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Paladin Took, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor.

C. In the event my cousin, Paladin Took, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Fredegar Bolger, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor.

ARTICLE X. Construction of Will. Wherever the context of any provision of this Will permits, any word in either number shall be construed to mean both singular and plural; any word in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter; any word in the feminine gender shall include the masculine and neuter;

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Frodo Baggins, have signed and published this Will this sixth day of Halimath, S.R. 1418.


________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

_________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

_________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

_________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

_________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

_________________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

_________________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN COTTON

_________________________ (SEAL)
SAMWISE GAMGEE


This instrument was signed, sealed, published and declared by Frodo Baggins, the Testator above named, as and for his Last Will and Testament, in the presence of us, who in his presence and at his request, and in the presence of each other, have hereupon subscribed our names as witnesses, this clause first having been read to us and we now intending to certify that the matters herein specified took place in fact and in the order named. Furthermore, we, the Testator, Frodo Baggins, and the witnesses respectively, whose names are signed to the foregoing instrument, do hereby declare to the undersigned officer that the Testator signed the instrument as the Last Will and Testament of Frodo Baggins and that he signed voluntarily and that each of the witnesses in the presence of the Testator, at his request, and in the presence of each other, signed the Will as a witness and that to the best of the knowledge of each witness the Testator was at that time thirty-three (33) years or more of age, of sound mind and under no constraint or undue influence.

________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

_________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

_________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

_________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

_________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

_________________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

_________________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN COTTON

_________________________ (SEAL)
SAMWISE GAMGEE


Subscribed and acknowledged before me by Frodo Baggins, the Testator, and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the sixth day of Halimath, S.R. 1418.


_________________________ (SEAL)
Herveus Grubb, Attorney


Included with Frodo’s second Will:


RENUNCIATION

RENUNCIATION made this ________ day of ______________________, S.R. ___________, by Thain Paladin II, an adult, of Tuckborough located in the Westfarthing of the Shire.

W I T N E S S E T H:

Whereas, I am the father of Peregrin Took, a minor born on 1 Astron, S.R.

1390; and

Whereas, I am the presently the head of the Took family, also known as

“The Took”; and

Whereas, my cousin, Frodo Baggins, has signed and executed a Last Will

and Testament naming my son, Peregrin Took, as one of its major beneficiaries;

and

Whereas, I am desirous that any inheritances to which my son, Peregrin

Took, is named shall be distributed to my son, Peregrin Took, regardless of his

minority;

Now therefore, this is to certify that I, Thain Paladin II, hereby disaffirm

and renounce all present and future right, interest, and ownership of any and all

possessions and inheritances that my son, Peregrin Took, a minor, may receive

from his cousin, Frodo Baggins due to the Last Will and Testament of said Frodo

Baggins executed this date.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Thain Paladin II, have signed and published this Renunciation this ________ day of _____________, S.R. _______.


___________________ (SEAL)
Thain Paladin II

WITNESSES:

___________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

___________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

___________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

___________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

___________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

___________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN COTTON

___________________ (SEAL)
SAMWISE GAMGEE

Subscribed to and acknowledged before me by Thain Paladin II and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the ________ day of _____________, S.R. ________.


____________________(SEAL)
HERVEUS GRUBB, Attorney


Frodo’s final Last Will and Testament

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

OF

FRODO BAGGINS


Be it remembered that I, Frodo Baggins, a resident of Hobbiton, located in the West Farthing of the Shire, being of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, and mindful of the uncertainties of this life, do hereby make, publish and declare this document as my Last Will and Testament, and hereby revoke all former wills and testaments or writings and codicils thereto, by me made.

ARTICLE I. Funeral Expense. It is my desire that all of my funeral expenses be paid out of the assets of my estate as soon as practicable after my death, and I order and direct that any members of my family who have disbursed their personal funds for the payment of my funeral expenses be reimbursed promptly by my Executor.

ARTICLE II. Personal Effects. I hereby give and bequeath all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, china, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of to my heir, Samwise Gamgee, who has become one of my dearest friends, and his wife, Rose Gamgee, or the survivor thereof. In the event that my heir, Samwise Gamgee, and his wife, Rose Gamgee, shall predecease me, then and in that event, upon my death, all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, mathoms, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of my heir, Samwise Gamgee, and his wife, Rose Gamgee.

ARTICLE III. Specific Bequests. I hereby give, devise, and bequeath the following:

A. To my dear cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Brandybuck family heirlooms, including all of the jewelry in the jewelry box that belonged to my mother, Primula Baggins, any and all items of needlework including but not limited to knitted coverlets, quilts, embroidered tablecloths, created by my mother, Primula Baggins nee Brandybuck, any household that had belonged to my mother, Primula Baggins, and still remain in Buckland, the framed marriage certificate of my parents. In the event that my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Brandybuck family inheritance and heirlooms equally between all of the children of my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck. In the event my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Brandybuck family inheritance and heirlooms to the Master of the Hall to be restored to the Brandybuck family.

B. I also leave to my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, my pony, Strider. In the event that my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath my pony, Strider, to my dear friend and heir, Samwise Gamgee. Although you received compensation from Barliman Butterbur in the town of Bree, Merry, it was not sufficient to compensate for the loss of such fine ponies as you provided on the Quest. From the moment you were born, you were the only one who could reach me in my darkest hours. You have been like a brother to me, Sprout, always there to love and protect me. I am so proud of all of your accomplishments. Not only have you become a responsible adult, well loved by all, but a well-respected Knight of Rohan who led the reclamation of the Shire for all hobbits. You have become so much more than merely the Son of the Hall; you are ready to lead and I know you will make a fine Master of Buckland one day.

C. To my dear cousin, Peregrin Took, I leave all of my Took family heirlooms, including the jewels that came down through the Took line from Adamanta Took nee Chubb to Belladonna Baggins nee Took, including the matched set of gold necklace with diamond pendant, pair of gold and diamond earrings, and gold and diamond bracelet, the framed marriage document of Bungo and Belladonna Baggins, and the portrait of Belladonna Took. In the event that my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Took family heirlooms equally between all of the children of my cousin, Peregrin Took. In the event my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my Took family heirlooms to my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck.

D. To my dear cousin, Peregrin Took, whose voice when raised in song is as clear and sweet as that of any Elf, I also hereby give, devise, and bequeath the book of songs written by our cousin, Bilbo Baggins, as well as my Elven book of songs. In the event that my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, then and in that event, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath the book of songs written by our cousin, Bilbo Baggins, as well as my Elven book of songs, to my dear friend, Prince Legolas Greenleaf. Pippin, may you and Legolas spend many happy hours together singing the songs in those books. You have always known how to lighten my spirit when I needed it most. You bring joy and hope to all around you. Although you are not yet considered an adult in the Shire, you have shown through your actions that you are a trustworthy, responsible mature Knight of Gondor whom many in Middle Earth, including me, already respect as an adult. One day, you will be the finest Thain and the Took that the Shire has ever seen. I am proud to call you my cousin.

E. To my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, I leave the portrait of my parents and myself. After the deaths of my parents, you were like a mother and a father to me, raising me as one of your own with all of the love and support any lad could wish for. I know my parents would wish you to have this portrait as well in acknowledgment of the tremendous love you showed to them and to me through the years.

F. To the head of the Baggins family, I leave all of my Baggins family heirlooms, including the Baggins Family Books along with a carved wooden case in which they are kept, a signet ring with the seal of the head of the Baggins family, a golden necklace with a pendant of beryl that was originally created for Berylla Baggins nee Boffin; the silver platter engraved with the Baggins family monogram that is passed down to each head of family, and my cradle which was built and carved by my father, Drogo Baggins.

G. Though you refused to take the Ring from me when I offered it to you, my dear friend, Aragorn, Elessar, King of Gondor and the Westlands, to you I leave my own braided golden ring given to me by my parents, Drogo and Primula Baggins, upon the occasion of my birth. May it serve as a remembrance of my esteem and appreciation for you. You came along at a time when I needed you most and never swayed in your steadfast friendship. You truly are a king among Men and I shall always miss my dear friend, “Strider.”

H. To my dear cousin, Fredegar Bolger, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath the new Elven broach and cloak granted to me by the Lady Galadriel specifically for you. Though you remained in the Shire, through your actions to assist me in leaving the Shire undetected on the Quest to destroy the Ring, you proved you were as much a part of the Fellowship as any of the Nine Walkers.

I. My dear friend, Prince Legolas Greenleaf, to you, who helped the Fellowship keep its peace and balance when all seemed lost, I leave my favourite smoking pipe, in the hope that you may yet discover one of the joys of this world still a mystery to you. I only wish that I could have seen both you and Boromir smoking pipes after the way the two of you made such dreadful fun of the rest of the Fellowship when we suffered the additional cruelty of not being able to smoke once our leaf ran out.

J. To my dear friend, Lord Gimli, who saved the life of my dear cousin, Peregrin Took, when all hope was lost, I leave my polished piece of rose coloured quartz that I found at Bag End and that you admired so much on your visit. I also leave to you one pound of the finest Longbottom Leaf in the hopes that you might manage to tempt Legolas into smoking my favourite pipe.

K. To my friend and neighbour, Hamfast Gamgee, who has been much more than a gardener to me, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year for his many years of steadfast service and friendship to my cousin, Bilbo Baggins, and me.

L. To my friend and neighbour, Tilbert “Daddy” Twofoot, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year.

M. To my friend and neighbour, Ivy Rumble, I hereby give, devise, and bequeath a stipend of fifteen (15) silver pennies per year.

ARTICLE IV. Disposition of Residuary.

A. Upon my death, all of the rest, residue, and residuary of my estate, herein referred to as my Residuary Estate, be it real property, personal property or mixed, wherever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed, or to which I may be or become in any way entitled or have any interest, including Bag End, shall be distributed to my heir, Samwise Gamgee, and his wife, Rose Gamgee, or the survivor thereof.

B. In the event that my heir, Samwise Gamgee, and his wife, Rose Gamgee, shall predecease me, then and in that event, my Residuary Estate, including Bag End, shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of my heir, Samwise Gamgee, and his wife, Rose Gamgee.

ARTICLE V. Payment to Minors and Incompetents. Except as provided for in Articles III and IV, if, pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, any portion of my estate becomes payable to any beneficiary during such beneficiary’s minority, or to any beneficiary who shall have been determined to be incompetent, my Executor, in his sole discretion, shall be authorised to distribute said portion of the estate to a parent or guardian of the beneficiary, or to the person with whom such beneficiary resides, without obligation by the Executor to look to the proper application or use of any payment so made; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may make distributions in such manner as he believes will best benefit the beneficiary, and also may pay to the beneficiary directly such sums as the Executor shall approve as an allowance; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may accumulate and hold all or a portion of the assets which otherwise would be distributed to the beneficiary, and distribute said assets to the beneficiary when he or she attains the age of thirty-three (33) years, or upon removal of the incapacity. However, if said beneficiary dies before the age of thirty-three (33) years, or prior to the removal of the incapacity, and no other provision is made in this Will for the passing of such beneficiary’s interest to others, then my Executor shall distribute any accumulated corpus and income to the estate of the beneficiary.

ARTICLE VI. Implementation Upon Constructive Death. In the event I declare in a written statement to my attorneys my intentions to permanently leave the Shire and its environs, then and in that event, upon receipt of said written statement by my attorneys, it shall be presumed and construed that I have constructively died and all of the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, shall at that time be implemented with the full force and effect as if I were deceased.

ARTICLE VII. Renouncement. I hereby resign, renounce, and relinquish my position as head of the Baggins family upon my actual or constructive death.

ARTICLE VIII. Powers of Executor. In the administration of my estate pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, the Executor shall have the following powers, which may be exercised in whole or in part, and which shall be deemed to be supplementary to and not exclusive of the general powers of executors pursuant to the rules of the Shire, and shall include all powers necessary to put the same into effect. Such powers may be exercised independently and without the prior or subsequent approval of any authority, and nobody dealing with the Executor shall be required to inquire into the propriety of any of his actions.

A. To retain, in his absolute discretion, and for such period as he shall deem advisable, any and all investments and other properties held by me at the time of my death without liability for any loss incurred by reason of the retention of such investments or properties.

B. To sell, pledge, and otherwise dispose of the assets of my estate and of the interests established pursuant to this Will, or any part of said assets, when he deems such action necessary and proper for the purpose of complying with my testamentary desires as herein expressed, and for the purpose of conserving, preserving and maintaining my estate.

C. With respect to any indebtedness held by me at the time of my death, to enter into agreements for the alteration of my interest therein, or of the rights and obligations under any contract with respect thereto, in effect at the time of my death.

D. To take any action deemed advisable to enforce, compromise or arbitrate any obligation, lien or other claim held by me, and to agree to any rescission or modification of any contract or agreement.

E. To hold undivided interests in any other properties held by me or that may form part of my estate at the time of my death, or that may be purchased or acquired thereafter on behalf of my estate without being required to make a physical division of any properties which may form a part of my estate at the time of my death.

F. In the event that at the time of my death I am a member of any partnership, joint venture, or undertaking, whether alone or jointly with one (1) or more persons, I hereby authorise and empower the Executor to carry out and perform the terms of such partnership or joint venture, including furnishing additional assets as may be necessary or desirable in the sole discretion of my Executor, it being my intention that the Executor shall have full power to cooperate with my surviving partner or partners, or joint venturers in such manner as shall be deemed advisable by the Executor, in order that the continuation, development and intention of such partnerships, ventures, or undertakings shall not be prevented or interfered with by virtue of the continued interest therein of my estate.

G. To loan or borrow money to or for such businesses or business interests which I may own at the time of my death.

H. To lease any real estate for such terms and upon such conditions and in such manner as he may deem advisable, and any lease so made shall be valid and binding for the full term thereof. To make repairs, replacements and improvements, structural or otherwise, to any such real estate; to insure against fire or other risks as he may deem proper. To subdivide real estate, to dedicate same to public use, and to grant easements as he may deem proper.

I. Whenever required or permitted to divide and distribute any funds under this Will, to make such distributions in money or in kind, or partly in money and partly in kind, and to exercise all powers herein conferred until my estate had been fully distributed.

J. To employ accountants, attorneys, and such agents as he may deem advisable; to pay reasonable compensation for their services.

K. To determine which assets or portion thereof shall be distributed to or for the benefit of each beneficiary of my estate in satisfaction of the share which he or she is entitled to receive under this, my Last Will and Testament. The selection and distribution of assets by the Executor shall be binding and conclusive upon all persons and shall not be subject to question by any beneficiary.

ARTICLE IX. Appointment of Executor.

A. I hereby appoint my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, as Executor under this, my Last Will and Testament.

B. In the event my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor

C. In the event my cousin, Peregrin Took, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor.

ARTICLE X. Construction of Will. Wherever the context of any provision of this Will permits, any word in either number shall be construed to mean both singular and plural; any word in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter; any word in the feminine gender shall include the masculine and neuter;

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Frodo Baggins, have signed and published this Will this 27th day of Astron, S.R. 1420.


________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

________________________ (SEAL)
WALDO BURROWES

________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

________________________ (SEAL)
ROBIN SMALLBURROW

________________________ (SEAL)
MERIADOC BRANDYBUCK

This instrument was signed, sealed, published and declared by Frodo Baggins, the Testator above named, as and for his Last Will and Testament, in the presence of us, who in his presence and at his request, and in the presence of each other, have hereupon subscribed our names as witnesses, this clause first having been read to us and we now intending to certify that the matters herein specified took place in fact and in the order named. Furthermore, we, the Testator, Frodo Baggins, and the witnesses respectively, whose names are signed to the foregoing instrument, do hereby declare to the undersigned officer that the Testator signed the instrument as the Last Will and Testament of Frodo Baggins and that he signed voluntarily and that each of the witnesses in the presence of the Testator, at his request, and in the presence of each other, signed the Will as a witness and that to the best of the knowledge of each witness the Testator was at that time thirty-three (33) years or more of age, of sound mind and under no constraint or undue influence.


________________________ (SEAL)
FRODO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

________________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

________________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

________________________ (SEAL)
WALDO BURROWES

________________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

________________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

________________________ (SEAL)
ROBIN SMALLBURROW

________________________ (SEAL)
MERIADOC BRANDYBUCK


Subscribed and acknowledged before me by Frodo Baggins, the Testator, and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the 27th day of Astron, S.R. 1420.


________________________(SEAL)
Herveus Grubb, Attorney

___________________________________________________________________

Included with Frodo’s final Will:


RENUNCIATION

RENUNCIATION made this 27 day of Astron, S.R. 1420, by Ponto Baggins, an adult, of Hobbiton located in the Westfarthing of the Shire.

W I T N E S S E T H:

Whereas, my cousin, Frodo Baggins is presently the head of the Baggins

family; and

Whereas, in the event that my cousin, Frodo Baggins, shall predecease

me or be presumed and construed to predecease me, I shall be the head of the

Baggins family; and

Whereas, my cousin, Frodo Baggins, has this date signed and executed a

Last Will and Testament naming Samwise Gamgee as his heir and bequesting to

Samwise and Rose Gamgee all of his residual assets, including Bag End; and

Whereas, I am desirous that any such inheritance to which Samwise and

Rose Gamgee is named, including Bag End, shall be distributed to Samwise and

Rose Gamgee, despite their not being related to the Bagginses;

Now therefore, this is to certify that I, Ponto Baggins, on behalf of the

Baggins family, hereby disaffirm and renounce all present and future right,

interest, and ownership of any and all possessions, and inheritances, including

Bag End, that my Samwise and Rose Gamgee, may receive from my cousin,

Frodo Baggins due to the Last Will and Testament of said Frodo Baggins

executed this date.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Ponto Baggins, have signed and published this Renunciation this ________ day of ______________________________________, S.R. _____________.


_______________________ (SEAL)
Ponto Baggins

WITNESSES:
_______________________ (SEAL)
HERILO GRUBB

_______________________ (SEAL)
LANDO BURROWES

_______________________ (SEAL)
MATFRID “MATT” HEADSTRONG

_______________________ (SEAL)
ABBO “BOB” CRICKETT

_______________________ (SEAL)
HAMFAST GAMGEE

_______________________ (SEAL)
TOLMAN “Tom” COTTON

_______________________ (SEAL)
Bowman “Nick” GAMGEE

Subscribed to and acknowledged before me by Thain Paladin II and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the ________ day of ____________________________, S.R.________.


________________________(SEAL)
Herveus Grubb, Attorney





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List