Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glistening  by Ellie

Many thanks to Michelle for all of her help.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Elladan quietly hummed a love song as he worked. It had been an exceptionally good day. The orc patrol had been taken in its camp completely at unawares. The ensuing blood bath had been a cleansing one for him. But, after much toil, the gore was gone from his weapons. Now they lay clean ready for polishing so they could continue to support him, protect him, take care of him as they had today, as they had every day for these last many years.

It used to be his mother who supported him, protected him, cared for him. But now she was gone from his life until he sailed to Valinor – if he ever sailed. Did he want immortal life? He was not so certain any more. For what could it bring but endless days of sorrow for what the orcs had done to his mother, taking her away from him and dividing his family?

Before his mother had departed, she had told him that perhaps he would find a lovely elleth who would care for him, love him, give him a child of his own, bring him joy. But what joy could an elleth bring to him now? Why would he want to bring a child into this cursed world so it could suffer the losses he had suffered?

Slowly, he applied the oil to his blade till it lay glistening and dripping in the afternoon sun. With practiced hands he caressed the length, stroking it until he brought forth a deadly sheen. With each loving glide of the cloth on the cold hardness, he purged the memories of what his weapon had done, preparing it for the climax of the new lives it would claim. His sword, ever at his side was his lover and guardian now. His daggers and knives were the precious presence kept close to his skin. His bow and quiver of arrows were his offspring. His pleasures of the flesh were goring the meat and sinew of the enemy.

When Sauron was defeated, when this war was done, then he would take thought for a mate. Until then, his only passion would be war.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List