Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

A/N: In the appendices at the end of RotK, you'll notice that the hobbits' family trees show Meriadoc Brandybuck as having a wife named Estella Bolger. This story is just my take on their relationship and courtship, and also an attempt to give a distinct personality to a character we know almost nothing about except in our imaginations.

I originally posted this at FFN, and there it is nearing completion. But the more I look back on my earlier chapters (and some more recent ones as well), the more I notice parts that I really want to change, to add to and subtract from. And so this version will feature some slight changes from the original, although the basic plot will remain the same.

The title for this story was taken from a line in Disney's Robin Hood, a movie that no healthy teenager should watch as often as I do. But anyway, enough of my ramblings. I hope you enjoy the story!

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 1 - Unlikely Heroes

Bywater, 1419 S.R.

*~*~*~*

Fire, Foes! Awake!

Estella Bolger let the book she had just pulled off of a shelf fall to the floor with a thud. A horn was being blown somewhere in town, but it was not the horn of the ruffians; the music from this horn was greater, prouder, and though she did not know who blew it or why, the mere sound of it made Estella's heart swell. She rushed to the door where her parents already stood. After a brief moment of peering over their shoulders, Estella quickly squeezed between them and, ignoring their cries of protest, dashed down the front steps and out into the road, where dozens of hobbits were beginning to gather.

In the center of this growing crowd were three hobbits sitting astride ponies. From the firelight, Estella could tell that these hobbits were dressed quite strangely, in gleaming armor the likes of which she had seen only in books. With a gasp, she suddenly recognized one of the hobbits as old Frodo Baggins, formerly of Bag End, whom most believed to have perished somewhere in the Old Forest. But there was something different about this Frodo - when last she'd seen him, Frodo had been robust and energetic, despite his fifty years. Now he seemed worn, tired; though whether this was an effect of his travels or simply age catching up with him, Estella could not guess.

She moved closer to get a better look at Frodo's companions, and her eyes went first to the one who held the horn that had called them all out that night. He had his back to her, but even from that angle and with him atop a pony, she could tell that he was quite tall for a hobbit. But without his face, she could not begin to guess his name. She then turned her gaze to the last hobbit, who had just climbed off of his mount.

Estella had to clench her teeth to keep her jaw from dropping. He had grown much taller and looked quite older than last she remembered, but there before her was young Peregrin Took, complete with armor and even a sword at his belt. Seeing the tweenager who everyone had often referred to as "little Pippin" dressed up in such a manner made Estella want to laugh at the irony of it all. But she bit back her mirth and returned her gaze to the other strangely tall hobbit, who had also dismounted his pony and was now turning to observe the crowd gathered before him.

This time Estella could not catch her jaw as it dropped open. Later on, she supposed she shouldn't have been so surprised to see him there with his friends Frodo and Pippin, but at that moment, she could not help but be shocked to see Meriadoc Brandybuck holding a horn that could not have come from the Shire and dressed like a warrior out of a storybook. This was the same Merry Brandybuck who had helped Estella's brother torture her incessently throughout their childhood, who had once "accidentally" pushed her into a river when she was ten years old. And now he was wearing armor? And bearing a sword?

Before she could think much on the subject, Merry raised his hand, and the crowd's murmurs died away. When he spoke, his voice was clear and strong so that all could hear. "Hobbits of the Shire - my companions and I have only recently returned, but it is apparent that we've come back none too soon." After receiving many vigorous nods, he continued. "And while we don't know all that has transpired in our absence, we will fight to take our homes back and put those ruffians in their place!" His statement was met with cheers from the surrounding hobbits. "Who is with us?" he cried.

The cheers came again, louder this time, and Merry smiled grimly, a smile the likes of which Estella had never seen him wear. He, like Frodo, had changed in the months during his absence, but instead of taking away vibrance and youth, Merry's experiences seemed to have added something to him. Wisdom, perhaps?

Estella snorted at this last thought. The day Meriadoc Brandybuck is counted among the wise is the day I become his wife.

She was spared from thinking any further on the somewhat disturbing subject by the arrival of a new hobbit. Estella guessed from his garb that he was yet another of Frodo's companions. Upon closer observation, she saw that it was Sam Gamgee, Frodo's gardener, and he had just come from the direction of the Cotton farm. Estella smiled to herself, taking a good guess as to who Sam had gone to see.

Her thoughts were once again interrupted, this time by a hand on her shoulder and the voice of her father, saying, "Go inside with your mother, Estella. I don't want you out here for whatever's about to take place."

Estella could not help but scowl at him. "But Dad, I--"

Her father's voice was firm but gentle. "Inside, Estella. Things could get dangerous."

She wanted to argue the matter further, but when her mother came and took her by the arm, all but dragging her towards the house, she sighed and allowed herself to be taken away. She knew her father only wanted to protect her, but having other people protect her was not something Estella was very fond of. To hobbits outside her immediate family, it made her seem stubborn and even a bit snobbish (the latter was especially true of lads who had seen her as a potential wife). And while it was slightly irksome to be called "the most bull-headed lass in the Shire" by her older brother (though it was becoming more a term of endearment between the siblings), Estella would never allow herself to sacrifice her ideals and opinions just to present a more "acceptable" image to others.

Estella walked into the sitting room and sat down in front of the window, which provided a decent view of the street. Her nose practically pressed against the glass, she eagerly watched as much as she could of what was going on outside. Her heart was racing; she knew that the tide was changing, she knew that the reign of Sharkey and his Chief was coming to an end. The Shire would be free again, everyone would be happy again, and old Fredegar would be safe at home again. This last thought especially filled her with joy; Fatty had been absent from their lives for far too long.

But even as Estella thought eagerly of seeing her brother again, her gaze kept wandering to one hobbit in particular who stood outside. Merry Brandybuck had certainly changed in his absence. Before seeing him that night, Estella would never have considered him a possible liberator of the Shire in those dark times. Yes, he must have definitely gone through a significant change for him to be considered a hero.

Merry Brandybuck, a hero... Estella shuddered at the thought. What was the world coming to?

*~*~*~*~*





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List