Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

Thanks so much for the reviews, everyone!  I'd reply individually, but I'm a bit pressed for time right now...

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 21 - Healing

October, 1422 S.R.

*~*~*~*

Estella's pony slowly walked up the hill towards Crickhollow, and she pulled her cloak tighter around her to shield her body from the crisp evening air.  Autumn had arrived several weeks ago, which meant that the nights were much cooler and came much quicker.

It also meant that Merry and Pippin were almost three weeks late in returing to the Shire.

Estella was currently headed towards a depressingly empty Crickhollow (Merry had given her a key and asked her to look after the house a bit while they were gone; "And besides, it'll be good for you to learn your way around the house, won't it?").  But she would much rather have turned her pony towards the East Road and out of the Shire in search of her fiancé and his cousin.

It's been too long, she thought to herself, and not for the first time that month.  Something must have happened to them.

She squeezed her eyes shut, angrily supressing the tears that threatened to spill from them.  She could not allow herself to cry over Merry, or Pippin.  What good would crying do?

And yet she could not fight the sob that escaped from her a moment later.

"Merry," she whispered desperately through her tears, as though there mere utterance of his name would suddenly bring him to her side, alive and well.  She lifted her head and opened her eyes to watch the storm clouds that slowly gathered in the darkening sky.  Lightening flashed in the distance, and Estella's chest tightened at the agonizing image that came to her mind, of the hobbit she loved trapped somewhere in the wilderness, with nothing to shield him from the oncoming storm.

She tightened her grip on the pony's reigns, furious at her helplessness in what could be Merry's time of desperate need.  It took her a moment to realize that she had arrived at her destination.  She dismounted the pony and led the animal to the small stables that were nearby.  Once she had seen to the pony, she returned to the house, and as she fumbled in her pocket for the key that Merry had given her, her mind went back to the thought she had been having for several days now.

I have to find him.  Or at least find out what happened to him...

Estella promptly and firmly shook her head.  "No," she said aloud to herself.  "No, I won't bury my husband just yet, before I've even had a chance to marry him."

As she pulled the key out of her pocket and put it into the door lock, Estella made up her mind - she would ride out to find Merry and Pippin.  She would use the night to prepare, to plan her path of travel, and at first light, she would set out.

Closing the door behind her, Estella forced herself to focus on making plans for the next day.  As long as she had that to focus on, she didn't need to worry about whether or not Merry was alive...

"Estella?"

Jumping backwards into the door, Estella gave a startled yelp at the sound of the soft voice in the dark hallway.  There was a scraping noise, and a candle was lit a few feet away.  The tiny flame was barely strong enough to illuminate the speaker's face.

For a moment, Estella could only stare.  Then suddenly her face lit up with joy, and she dashed forward into Merry's arms.  But when she heard him inhale sharply, she immediately backed away.  She saw that his face was contorted with pain.

"Merry, what--"

But he interrupted her with a gentle "shh," taking her by the arm and pulling her close.  "Just," he said, "just stay on this side of me..."

Estella looked up at him worriedly even as she fought the urge to embrace him as tightly as she could and to never let go.  "Merry-love, are you hurt?  What happened, what took you so long in getting here?"  A mischevious smile slowly spread across her face.   "And why aren't you wearing a shirt?"

Merry returned the smile as he wrapped one bare arm tightly around her, pressing her against his right side.  "Don't worry," he murmured.  "It's not important."

"Yes, it is!" she exclaimed, looking up at him sharply.  "Merry, it has been over two weeks since you were due to return!  Something had to have kept you!"  Without waiting for a response, Estella took the candle from Merry and held it in front of his torso.  She immediately spotted a large bandage on the left side of his waist.

"Merry," she gasped with horror.

He let out a deep breath.  "We were about three days out of Rivendell when they came - a pack of wolves.  Not many, only about three or four.  Pippin and I managed to fight them off, but not before one of them got me with its paw.  I was getting ready to check the bandages just now when I heard you come in."

As Estella examined the bandages, she asked, "And what about Pippin?  Is he all right?"

"He has a rather nasty scar on his leg now, but thankfully it didn't take very long to heal."

"These bandages needs changing," Estella said softly after a moment.  She then raised her voice and called out, "Pippin?"

The young Took appeared quickly from a nearby room.  "Is that you, Estella?"

"Yes, it's me," she replied shakily as Pippin lit one of the lamps on the wall.  "And I've just found out that my foolish fiancé and his foolish cousin have gone and gotten themselves foolishly injured!"

Pippin furrowed his brows.  "What do you mean, you've just found out?  Did you not get Merry's letter?"

Estella glanced at Merry.  "What letter?"

Sighing, Merry responded, "The letter I gave to a rather forgetful innkeeper in Bree with instructions that it be sent with the next mail carriage."

Pippin grinned.  "Well then, Estella should be receiving it any day now!"

Shaking her head, Estella said, "How I am ever going to survive living with the two of you is beyond me."  She then noticed the white cloth that was wrapped around Pippin's right leg just above the ankle.  "Are you all right, Pippin?" she asked seriously.

"Well enough," he replied.  "I got off easier than Merry did, it seems."

Biting her lip worriedly, Estella looked at Merry.  "I'll help you change those bandages."  She turned to Pippin again.  "You look tired, Pippin.  Go to bed."

"Yes, Lady Brandybuck."

Estella hugged him briefly and kissed his brow before allowing him to walk off.  She then led Merry down the hallway and into his bedroom.

"You just lie down, Merry," she said, gently pushing him onto the bed.  "I'll take care of the bandages."

Merry obliged, rolling onto his right side so that Estella could work easier.  Sitting beside him on her knees, she carefully removed the old bandages, setting them on the floor; she then dabbed gently at the wound with a wet cloth.  All the while she fought to hold back the tears that had appeared in her eyes yet again.  Her hands trembled as she worked to clean the wound, and each breath she took was unsteady.

Looking at Merry as he lay on the bed, his injuries on prominent display, made Estella sick to her stomach.  It was not simply the sight of the wound that affected her so; it was the fact that she had come so close to losing Merry forever...

As though sensing her thoughts, Merry reached back and took Estella's hand, bringing it up to his face so that he could kiss her palm.

"Don't cry, love," he said, squeezing her hand as he held it hard against his chest.  "I'm here, and I'm in one piece."

Estella smiled through her tears.  She patted the last adhesive strip of the bandage and announced, "Done."

Merry rolled over onto his back and reached up to pull Estella down towards him in a tight embrace.  Somehow, Estella was not surprised by his sudden move; she shifted slightly so that she was not near his wound and then wrapped her arms around his neck.  She pressed her face against his bare chest, breathing in the faint traces of earth and pipeweed that she always identified with him.  Merry's arms held her firmly but gently against him.

"Stella," he murmured into her hair.

Estella lifted her head and leaned forward, kissing Merry firmly and passionately.  Merry brought one hand up to the back of her head, pressing her face closer to his as he eagerly returned her kiss.  Estella poured everything into that kiss - all of her emotions, all the months of longing for his touch and his words, her very being she gave to him in that firey kiss.  It was as though through their physical contact they achieved a bonding of their souls.

Only when the need for air burned in their lungs did they break the kiss.  Merry then brushed his lips against Estella's nose as he ran his fingers through her hair.  Estella smiled, chuckling softly.

"What are you laughing at?" Merry inquired before kissing her brow.

"Oh, I was just running something through my head.  'Estella Brandybuck'... flows rather nicely, does it not?"

Stroking her cheek with his thumb, Merry replied with a smile, "It does indeed."

Estella's smile slowly faded as she brushed her nose against Merry's.  She cringed involuntarily as more tears filled her eyes.  "Merry, I..."

Merry kissed her now-moist cheeks.  "Shh... I know, darling, I missed you, too."

Choking back a sob, Estella said, "But... but when you were late in coming back, I thought... oh Merry, I was so worried I would never see you again..."

He kissed her gently on the lips.  "You needn't worry anymore.  I will not leave you again."

Estella buried her face in his neck, allowing her tears to flow freely as he lovingly stroked her back and whispered soothing words of comfort and devotion into her ear.  At last, her tears ceased, and she fell into a deep, untroubled sleep.

*~*~*~*~*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List