Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

Thanks to Melyanna for offering to beta this chapter. :)

(Okay, how the heck did Pippin sneak his incredible cuteness into the chapter about Merry's wedding?)

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 23 - Meriadoc the Wise

November, 1422 S.R.

*~*~*~*

Estella's feet were propped up on a stool, and she ran a small brush through the fur there, attempting to make the hair as full as possible.  Her brown curls were pulled back from her face haphazardly, their unkempt state greatly contrasting the beautiful white dress she wore, with its silky fabric and sparkling beads.  Late afternoon sunlight filtered in through the window of the spare bedroom of Crickhollow, and Estella could faintly hear the sounds of many hobbits outside, busy with preparations.

Resigning to the fact that further foot-brushing would be superfluous, Estella sat back with a sigh, setting the brush onto the vanity table in front of her.  She started to reach for a larger brush for the hair on her head, but her hand passed over another object, and she paused for a moment.  Finally she smiled and picked up the leaf-shaped brooch, lightly tracing her fingertips along the delicate lines.

Holding the brooch in one hand, Estella pulled out the band that had held her hair back.  She picked up the brush and ran it slowly through her curls, thoughtfully regarding her reflection in the mirror.

There was a knock at the door, and Rosie's voice came from the other side, "May I come in, Stella?"

"Yes."

Rosie walked in and closed the door behind her, saying, "Sorry I'm late.  How are you feeling?"

Estella smiled slightly.  "Quite well, actually.  Starting to get a bit excited, though."

"I should think so," Rosie replied, walking over to stand behind her friend.  She took the brush from Estella's hand and said, "Let me handle this, Stella, you just relax for a moment."

Fingering the brooch, Estella continued to stare at herself in the mirror as Rosie set about fixing her hair.  Her breath caught in her throat suddenly.

"Oh," she breathed softly, "I never really believed him before now..."

Pausing her work, Rosie responded with furrowed brows.  "What?"

"Whenever Merry would try to say how beautiful I was, I would always insist that he was embellishing.  But now..."  Estella smiled.  "I believe him."

Rosie also smiled, returning to Estella's hair.  "Well, I think every girl looks beautiful the day she marries the hobbit she loves."

"You certainly did."

"Why, thank you."  Rosie picked up a handful of forget-me-nots that were laying in a basket on the table and began placing them amidst Estella's braided curls.  "But even if you weren't beautiful - and you are - I don't think it would matter.  Merry would still see you as the most breath-taking person in all the Shire.  After all, when you're in love, the one who has your heart will always seem stunning in your eyes."

An image of Merry's handsome face came to Estella's mind, his blue-grey eyes, the cleft in his chin, his strong jaw...

"You're right, of course," she said to Rosie with a grin.  She glanced up at Rosie's reflection in the mirror and saw her friend was wearing a dreamy, far-off look, obviously thinking of a different hobbit's face.

A knock at the door pulled the two lasses out of their respective reveries, and Rosie called out, "Who is it?"

A somewhat tentative voice replied, "It's Pippin.  I was wondering if I might speak to Estella."

Raising her eyebrows at Rosie, Estella said, "Yes, come in, Pippin."

He did so, and for a moment he simply stood by the door, glancing between Estella and Rosie.  Finally, Rosie comprehended Pippin's intention to speak with Estella alone, so she nodded, smiling at him as she walked out, closing the door behind her.

Estella stood and looked at Pippin expectantly, and the younger hobbit approached her, wearing what she found to be an adorably awkward expression.

"Yes, Pippin?" she prodded, fighting an amused smile.

"I just wanted to come in and see how you were," he said with a small smile.  "You look quite lovely, Estella."

Succumbing to her smile, Estella replied, "Thank you, Pippin."

"I also wanted to talk to you a bit," he continued.

"About?"

"Well, just..."  Pippin shrugged, looking like he hadn't quite gathered his thoughts yet.  "About Merry, I suppose."

"Now Pippin, are you worried that I won't take proper care of your dear cousin?" Estella inquired playfully.

"Not at all, Estella!  I know you are quite capable of tending Merry and making sure he doesn't get out of line."

"I hope the latter task doesn't prove too difficult."

"Oh, I don't believe so.  If he causes a problem, all you need do is give him a good smack on the back of the head."

"I shall keep that in mind."

Pippin was silent for a moment then, but he looked as though he wanted to say more.  Estella took another step closer to him, hoping the expression she wore was an encouraging one.

It apparently was, because Pippin decided to speak again.  "One more thing before I go."

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to say..."  He met her gaze slowly.  "I wanted to say that I'm glad Merry chose you.  You're a good hobbit, and I know you'll make him very happy.  In fact, I know you already have."

Estella was surprised to feel tears pricking at her eyes, and she realized that Merry would not be the only hobbit she would look after in the coming years.  She would care for her husband's dear cousin as well, until a time came when Pippin found his own lass to give his heart to.

She stepped forward and embraced him.  "Thank you, Pippin," she said with a smile.  "I'm glad you approve of me."

Pippin hugged her briefly before pulling away to kiss her cheek.  "No thanks are necessary, my soon-to-be-cousin Estella.  But now I'd best be going before Merry thinks I'm trying to steal you away."

They said goodbye, and Estella returned to her seat at the vanity table.  She had on her dress, her hair was finished, her feet were brushed; there was nothing left for her to do but wait.

The wait was not long, however; Rosie reappeared at the door only a few minutes after Pippin had departed.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

Estella smiled at her.  "I am."

Rosie held the door open for her friend, and Estella walked into the hallway, unfaltering and unafraid.

*~*~*~*

The Tookish restlessness in Merry's heritage was making itself known in his attempts to occupy himself by pulling imaginary lint off of his armor.  Pippin and Sam stood at his left, while his father stood behind him and to his right.  As Master of Buckland, Saradoc Brandybuck would be presiding over his son's wedding ceremony, which would take place in a large field beside Crickhollow, a place Merry had selected.

Merry had managed to remain more-or-less calm earlier in the day, mainly because he had been occupied by so many friends and relatives seeking last-minute conversations.  He'd had a somewhat frightening encounter with Estella's father ("Now you know that I love my daughter very much.  And you also know that I have an axe in my garden shed that I can use at any time."); he had also been cornered by his mother Esmerelda, who had been lamenting the condition of her son's hair ("You look wonderful, dear, but your hair has gotten so long!  Are you sure you don't want me to give it a quick trim while you're waiting?"  "Mum, the ceremony is starting in an hour..."); and he had narrowly avoided a potentially awkward conversation with his father ("Erm, you don't need for me to... explain anything about tonight, do--"  "No!").

But now Saradoc stood ready to begin the ceremony.  "Are you nervous, son?" he asked.

Merry shrugged.  "Not really.  I'm just a bit impatient, I suppose."

"Well, you don't need to wait much longer," said Pippin, pointing up the petal-strewn path that lay before them.

Merry's breath caught in his throat as he watched Estella make her way up the path.  She gave him a smile that was more radiant and serene than any he had ever seen her wear.

After a breathless minute when Estella finally reached him, Merry whispered to her, "You're gorgeous, you know."

"And you are quite handsome yourself," she replied with a grin.

"If I may?" Saradoc interjected lightly.

"By all means," Merry said, nodding at him.

"Right."  Saradoc raised his voice so that those in attendance could hear.  "My good hobbits of the Shire:  We are here to celebrate the union of Meriadoc Brandybuck and Estella Bolger.  This marriage is important not only to these two young hobbits before us, but also to all other Bucklanders, as Meriadoc is to be the future Master of this land.  By taking his hand, Estella will be accepting the responsibilities that shall come of being the Mistress of Brandy Hall, a task that carries no light burden.  But marriage in itself carries many responsibilities, no matter what sort of titles the couple may have between them.  These two hobbits have decided that they are prepared to face whatever trials may come in their future, and they will be facing those trials together as husband and wife."

As Saradoc spoke, Merry fought the urge to fidget slightly, and Estella, apparently sensing his unrest, grinned sympathetically at him.  A few days prior, after hearing from Saradoc what all would be said at the ceremony, the couple had come to the agreement that those ritual formalities were blatantly unnecessary.  But much to Merry's irk, his father had given them no say in the matter.

Saradoc continued:  "Meriadoc and Estella have both written their own vows, which they will now say to each other in front of this assembly."  He nodded at Estella.  "Estella, if you'll please start."

As Estella returned her gaze to Merry, all other sounds faded, all other hobbits disappeared, and she was alone with Merry to confess her love for him.

She smiled again and spoke the words she had memorized the night before, pouring everything she felt for Merry into her voice:  "Your devotion has never ceased to amaze me.  You fought so hard for me, you even fought against me at times.  You taught me that being in love didn't have to mean giving up who I was.  You taught me not to be afraid of love.  And I do love you, Meriadoc Brandybuck, and now I know I'll never be afraid again as long as you are with me."

Merry's heart swelled, and his breath was taken away yet again by the loving words she spoke.  When he managed to find his voice, he began his own vows.  "My first memory of you was when I ran into you and pushed you down a hill when I was seven years old.   You seemed certain after that event that you would hate me forever."  He smiled at her, reaching up to brush away a tear that had rolled down her cheek.  "I'm very glad I managed to prove you wrong.  And I want every memory from this day forward to be memories we share."

A sudden urge overpowered Merry then, and he slowly leaned in to kiss Estella; but he was stopped by a hand on his chest.

"Ah, not yet, lad," said Saradoc.

"Oh!"  Merry pulled away, smiling sheepishly as the rest of the world came back into focus, laughter coming from the other hobbits.  "Sorry."

Grinning, Saradoc took Merry's left hand and Estella's right.  "As Master of Buckland, it is my honor to name you Meriadoc and Estella Brandybuck."  He brought their hands together.  "May your union be blessed!"

A great cheer went up, and amidst the sprinkling of flower petals, Merry once again leaned in.  He kissed Estella slowly and tenderly, feeling the need to be as gentle as possible.

But Estella had other plans.  She stood on her toes, throwing her arms around Merry's neck and deepening the kiss, oblivious to the hundreds of other voices surrounding them.  Wrapping his arms around her waist, Merry lifted Estella off the ground and twirled her about, grinning through the kiss.

"Oy!" came Pippin's voice.  "Break apart for a moment, or I'll never be able to congratulate you two!"

They did so, laughing, and Pippin kissed and embraced them both.  Other hobbits quickly followed him, until Merry and Estella were soon being bombarded by questions and jokes and congratulations.  But amidst it all, they met each other's gaze and smiled, struck by the realization that they were acting together as husband and wife.

*~*~*~*

The couple was very relieved when the music began to play, and the crowd of people surrounding them dispersed to begin the wedding feast.  Merry grabbed Estella's hand and pulled her away to the dancing area.

"You didn't think I would let you escape without a dance or two, did you?" he inquired with an impish grin.

Putting one hand on his shoulder as he took her by the waist, Estella replied with a sigh, "I suppose it was rather foolish of me to hope so."

They began dancing to the lively tune, and Merry made sure to keep her informed on his count of how many times she stepped on his feet.

"Seven!" he proclaimed loudly at one point.

Attempting to glare, she said, "You really are insufferable, you know that?"

Merry twirled her about and pulled her back, bringing his face close to hers as he murmured, "But you still love me."

"I do," she replied, giving him a quick kiss before pulling away.

As they continued to dance, Merry furrowed his brows in confusion.  "Why is that, anyway?"

Estella grinned mischieviously.  "It must be your wisdom."

"Wisdom!"  Merry looked scandalized.  "And all this time, I thought you loved me for my boyish charm and dashing good looks."

The music changed and became slower, and Merry pulled Estella close.  She put her head on his shoulder and sighed contentedly.

"And why do you love me, Merry?"

He kissed the top of her head and replied, "Obviously because of your meek and gentle nature."

Estella laughed and pinched his side playfully.  "Really, Merry - why do you love me?"

Pressing his cheek against her hair, he said softly, "There are so many things to choose from:  your wit, your smile, your honesty, your beautiful, beautiful eyes."  As he spoke, Estella pressed herself closer to him, smiling into his chest.  "I love all those things, and I love how you really are gentle and kind at heart."

"Oh, Merry," she murmured, allowing the tears to flow down her face.

Even after the music became quick and lively again, husband and wife continued to dance slowly in each other's arms, lost in blissful reverie.

*~*~*~*~*


Pending any sort of disaster, the epilogue will be posted tomorrow.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List