Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Old Scores  by Baggins Babe

A few days after Ted's funeral, Merry, Pip, their wives and baby Faramir arrived at Bag End, on their way back to Buckland to prepare for the birth of Estella's baby. They were welcomed eagerly as everyone wanted to see the new addition to the Tooks. Rose led Estella to the most comfortable chair.

       "Sit down and rest your feet on the stool, dear. Are your ankles swollen?"

       "A little, if I stand for too long. I feel like an oliphaunt!" Stella rested her hand on the large bump.

       "Be glad you're not an oliphaunt! They had a mother and baby in the menagerie in Ithilien, and the mothers carry for two years!"

       Frodo and Sam were fussing baby Fari, who was regarding them solemnly, much as Pip had done as a baby. Diamond looked well and Pip gazed at his wife and child with tender pride, as though unable to believe they were his.

       "He's just like you were as a babe, Pip. That curious stare - you are really going to go through it when he's older," Frodo teased.

       "I know," Pip groaned theatrically. ""Hopefully I'll be onto his tricks, as I did so many myself. I'm making the most of the peace and quiet while he's too young to go anywhere."

       Tea and cake were served and they chatted about babies and their problems and joys. Then Pip rose and went to the guest room to wash and tidy himself.

       "I'll go and see the Sandymans now."

       "You don't have to do it right now."

       "Yes I do," Pip replied. "I need to go and explain what happened and make my peace with them."

       Frodo buttoned his waistcoat. "Shall I come with you?" He found himself gently pushed back into his chair.

       "No, you dear ass. I'm big enough and ugly enough to fight my own battles. You know, Aragorn told me many times that leaders sometimes have to make decisions no-one else can make and take action which no others should be asked to do. He also said that taking a life would never be easy, nor should it be. He said the day he found pleasure in killing would be the day he hung up his sword."

       "Yes, that sounds like our beloved King."

       "Well, I've asked myself if I felt even a twinge of pleasure over killing Ted, and I'm thankful to say there was none at all. I'm sorry it happened. There was no time to think and I acted on instinct because I feared he would kill that child. I thought how I would feel if it was little Fari he was threatening and I knew he had to be stopped." He paused and then grinned, looking like the old Pippin. "Let me get this over with."

                                                                         ************

       Almost two hours had passed and there was still no sign of Pip. Frodo wandered into the garden and was very relieved to see his cousin strolling up the Hill, whistling.

       "I was about to send out a search party!"

       "Would you believe they made me stay for tea?"

       "And you'll need a splint for the arm they had to twist, naturally?

       Pip laughed. "Of course! I need lots of persuasion to eat sandwiches and cake." He reached the gate and turned to look back towards the Party Field. "That is a huge weight off my mind, knowing they don't hate me for it."

       "I told you they wouldn't. Violet thinks you're wonderful and I'm sure you'll be Lily's hero too."

       Pippin chuckled. "That role is already taken, my dear Fro."

       "Oh?"

       "Yes, it's you, you chump! Every time your name was mentioned she blushed strawberry pink. I think young Lily is carrying a torch for you."

       Frodo looked startled. "Oh dear! Do you think so?

       "Trust me. I understand lasses." He realised that Frodo was looking at him with disbelief. "I do! I know a besotted lass when I see one, and she's besotted."

                                                                         ************

       Two weeks after the family's departure for Crickhollow, a Quick Post letter arrived to say that Estella had given birth to a son. Merry was still unable to make up his mind over the name - should the babe be Theoden or Theodoc? Merry grumbled that Pip was no help and asked Frodo to choose, but Frodo declined gracefully, knowing that whatever he suggested, Merry would choose the opposite.

       Messengers from Rohan arrived at the Bridge towards the end of Halimath, with news that Queen Lothiriel had given given birth to another son, to be named Aelfrede. Merry, along with the other Travellers and their families, sent many gifts for mother and baby, and Rose sent half a dozen bottles of blackberry wine, pickles, jam and two large fruit cakes, declaring that a new mother needed feeding.

                                                                        ************

       Frodo sat on the large log at the end of New Row, his sketch pad on his knee. He had taken up drawing again, having not touched it for almost twelve years. He knew he was not as skilled as Merry but he enjoyed it and needed the practice for illustrating some of the pages in books he was copying. He liked to adorn some of the letters with flowers, and birds and beasts decorated the margins.

       He was attempting to draw the mallorn, capturing the graceful shape as she stretched towards the sky. The shouts and laughter of children drifted up: the lasses played catch with a soft ball while the lads were engrossed in a game of wickets. He was pleased to see Lily Sandyman with the other lasses. She seemed so quiet and solemn, taking on far more responsibility than most tweenaged lasses and spending far too much time on adult chores. Ivy had pushed her out to take the air and have some fun. Frodo was delighted to see her laughing with May's daughter Salvia, who was fourteen, and Tansy Bunce's elder sister Hollyhock, a jolly lass of twenty. They were shrieking and giggling, to the disgust of the lads - except for Bordo Sandheaver, who was gazing at Hollyhock with a wistful expression. Rose would call that 'gormless' Frodo thought, and chuckled.

       "Mista Fodo! Mista Fodo!" A small child's voice interrupted his train of thought and he looked down to see little Tando Bunce emerging at speed from the gate of No. 4 and running towards him.

       Frodo put aside his sketchbook and drawing sticks and lifted the faunt into his lap. "Hello Tando. You're as bright as a button. Have you had a nap?"

       "Uh-uh," the child said, nodding. "Lo, Mista Fodo. What doin'?"

       "Drawing pictures. Would you like to see?"

       "Yes, pease." The tiny lad peered at the pictures and smiled as he recognised a magpie and two squirrels. "Pie!" he said, pointing at the bird. He stared hard at a point above Frodo's head, his expression one of wonder.

       "What is it, Tando?"

       "Buff-fly......... in your hair."

       "What colour?"

       "Lello," said the child confidently, still staring at the creature which was resting in Frodo's curls.

       "Probably a Brimstone then."

       "Bimtone?"

       Frodo laughed merrily at this. "Nearly. A Brimstone. It's our most common yellow butterfly."

       "Nice bonnet!" said Rose, settling herself beside him and placing a basket on the ground.

       "Lo, Missus Fodo!" said Tando eagerly. Frodo and Rose exchanged a look.

       "People will talk." Frodo's lips twitched.

       "Let 'em. Far more likely to gossip about you wearing a butterfly bonnet. You know there's at least four of them in your hair now?"

       "Really? Perhaps that scented soap has attracted them."

       Rose started giggling again. "They think you're a flower!" She leaned over and tickled Tando. "I'm not Mrs Frodo, I'm Mrs Sam. You'll be starting a whole lot of rumours if the old biddies hear you, my lad!"

       "I'll distract them by entering the Autumn Bonnet Parade at the Harvest Fair. That will keep Widow Goodloam and Mrs Proudfoot busy for at least a month!"

       "What dat one?" asked Tando, one fat finger pointed to Frodo's hair.

       "The black and yellow one is a Swallowtail and that one there is a Bindbole Blue. Hold out you hand and stay still and perhaps one will land on you," Rose said.

       Tando held out his hand and waited. To his utter delight, one of the butterflies alighted on his wrist and sat there, opening and closing its wings in the warm sunshine. "Pwetty!" he breathed, enchanted.

       A large green and gold North Farthing Skipper fluttered on to Frodo's knee. "See how delicate the wings are, Tando? That is why you must never touch the wings because they can be damaged very easily. They are very beautiful but we have to wait for them to come to us."

       The three sat in the sun and enjoyed the dance of the butterflies until the creatures moved away to feed on the buddleia growing in the gardens of New Row.

       Rose called the children up from the Party Field and handed out cakes, biscuits and lemonade to all. When the children called for a story - and the tweens were just as eager - Frodo told them about the coronation of the King and the pardoning of Beregond.

                                                                         ************

       The Harvest Fair in Bywater was always well-attended and considered a very important event by the farmers, gardeners and cooks of the West Farthing. Farmer Cotton had entered several of his animals in the livestock competitions, Lilly Cotton was confident of winning the prize for the best pasties and Rose's marrow chutney, blackberry jam, spicy tomato pickle (so appreciated by the Haradri ambassador to Gondor) and peach wine were bound to win first prize.

       The children raced around, visiting the stalls, running back to their parents and uncle for more farthings to play pitch and toss or hoops. All those from New Row were there to enjoy the fun. Little Columbine Carter tagged along with Ellie and her friends and the eldest Gamgee child made it clear that anyone taunting the lass about her withered arm would find themselves in deep trouble. Elanor did not tolerate bullying; she responded like a tigress if anyone dared to call Frodo 'Mad Baggins' and if she caught someone staring at his right hand she would fix them with a scowl to shrivel them on the spot.

       Farmer Cotton's ram, Mulberry was declared a deserving winner in his class, and one of Ned Shortburrow's cows sported a rosette for the longest eyelashes. Tully Noakes had primped and washed his biggest sheep until she resembled a fluffy cloud and she was promptly awarded the title of 'Largest Sheep in Show.' She was an amiable creature who enjoyed being the centre of attention. Frodo scratched her head and she baa'd softly.

       "She's sweet. Will you keep her over the winter?"

       "Oh aye, won't be losing this old girl. She's a wonderful mother and her wool is as soft as thistledown. There's plenty of hay ready for them all. Hay harvest was a bumper one this year, and I don't like to lose my girls if I can help it, sentimental old fool that I am."

       "I don't think it's foolish, Tully. You invest so much time and care in these sheep. I'd never make a farmer, I know that. I'd be hopeless. I'd never send anything to market."

       "You're a gentlehobbit, Mister Frodo, and a very tender-hearted one. It does you credit, sir." He turned to look at his grand-daughter, who was giggling with Ellie and Violet. "That young lass is like you in many ways - can't bear to see a soul hurting. Mrs Sandyman says she befriended little Violet straight away and now she's keeping an eye on Columbine. She's a credit to her parents and to you."

       Frodo smiled. "Thank you. She is a very generous and caring child, and loves to see the shy ones come out of their shells."

       Tully nodded towards the fresh produce stall, where Frodo-lad was standing with his father. "Does the lad have anything in the show?"

       "Pumpkins. I don't know how he does it but that lad can grow pumpkins bigger than anyone else in the Shire. Two years ago we had so many we couldn't give them away. Even Sam can't get the things to grow like that!"

       "His Grand-da would have been proud. If you're going over there I'll come with you. I'd like to see how the lad does. I like a bit of pumpkin now and then."

       There was no disputing the facts. Sam had to swear that he had given the lad no assistance but there was no denying that Frodo-lad's pumpkins were monsters. It was clear that they dwarfed every rival without anyone using a tape measure. To his unbridled joy, Frodo-lad accepted the first prize from Thain Paladin with a quiet "Thank you, sir," and a bow.

       Sam's potatoes were awarded their usual accolade and also won Best Produce in Show and Rose carried off several awards. Frodo applauded them all, feeling as pleased as if he had won everything himself.

       In the handicrafts section Ivy Sandyman was stunned to find herself receiving first prize for her sewing from the Thain's lady, who whispered, "Well done, dear,"as she handed over the silver dish. She was blushing but overjoyed and her children cheered her loud and long.

       Hyacinth Bracegirdle carried off the winner's sash in the Autumn Bonnet Parade for a monstrous creation of feathers and straw which achieved the seemingly impossible and drew the eye from her impressive frontage. Paladin presented her with her little cup and the day ended with all the produce being sorted and taken round to poor families and anyone who was ill or needed extra cheering.

       "I think that was a most successful day," said Frodo as the cart rolled homeward, full of sleepy children.

       "You should have entered something, Uncle Fro," said Ellie from her place in the back of the cart with Violet.

       "I am content to bathe in the reflected glory of my talented family and friends. Besides, what could I produce which might have a chance of winning?"

       "That blackberry cobbler. That would win - it's much tastier than Mrs Sandyloam's apple pie," Rose said. "Next year you're going to go in that class if I have to march you there myself."

       Ivy was glowing as she recalled the moment when she won something for the first time in her life and heard the applause of a crowd ringing in her ears.

       "Ted would never let me enter. He always said it was fixed so's the likes of us couldn't win but this proves he was wrong, doesn't it? I can't believe they liked my work the best."

       "But it is the best. You enjoy it, Ivy dear. You deserve it if anyone does," said Rose.

                                                                         ************

       Rose waited until the anniversary of Weathertop was safely over. Each year she worried less but it was a hard habit to break altogether. Frodo was aware of the date but there were no unusual symptoms, no twinges and no despair. He found himself playing with little Sooty, rolling cotton reels and small paper balls up and down the passageways under the watchful supervision of the Bag End senior cat. Sooty pounced and bounced and rolled for hours, drawing Sam and Rose from their work and keeping the children in fits of laughter.

       That evening, with the children safely tucked up and sound asleep, they sat down to supper. Rose smiled across the table and served out the garlic mushrooms and bubble-and-squeak.

       "I have some news for you two. Not going to tell the children yet because it's early days, but...................I'm expecting again."

       "Expecting? When did.........?

       "Sam Gamgee! If you say you don't remember when that could have happened, I'll put this pan over your head!"

       "Just teasing, lass. I remember fine!" He twinkled at her. "That's wonderful news, my Rose-wife." Sam drew her to him and kissed her gently.

       "Congratulations, my dears." Frodo opened a bottle of wine.

       "You knew I was going to tell you tonight?"

       "No, not exactly. But I've suspected for a while now and kept the wine for this special occasion."

       Rose smiled at him. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

       Sam nodded. "We're filling up your home with all these little 'uns........"

       "It is our home, and the more the merrier. You have given me something so precious in sharing your family with me." He took their hands."You are my family, my dearest brother and sister, and your love has made me whole again."

       Rose and Sam blinked back tears when they heard this. Their anxieties during the first years of their marriage, when they had feared for Frodo's life and sanity, were gone. Only their fiercely protective love remained and that would never fade.

       Sam looked at Rose. "I haven't noticed you being queasy in the mornings, love."

       "I'm not sick with lasses, am I?"

       "So we have another little lass to look forward to? I suppose Frodo knew that already."

       "Yes, I did. This one will be Goldilocks, almost as fair as Ellie, and beautiful and capable - just like her mother."

       "Have you seen what she'll be like when she's grown up?" Rose asked, sipping her small glass of wine.

       "I saw her very vividly, just once. Tall for a hobbit lass, golden hair slightly darker than Ellie's, and a smile to make lads weep. She will have charge of somewhere important, I think, for I saw a large set of keys hung from a belt at her waist."

       "I wonder what they can be for? Perhaps she'll be lady-in-waiting to Arwen." Sam pondered. "What do they call the one with all the keys? Mistress of the Bedchamber or something."

       Rose giggled. "She's smaller than a walnut at the moment and you're already planning her future!"

       "A fond father can dream, can't he? When will you tell the children?"

       "When I'm safely past three months. Doesn't hurt to be cautious."

       "I can hardly wait to boast that I'm to be an uncle again. I'm catching Pip's total now."

       Rose laughed. "If you've forseen aright, you'll pass that easily!"

       "When I'm old and grey - or at least older and greyer than I am now - I shall be surrounded by as big a family as old Gerontius had."

       "You're not old and grey, you silly Baggins," said Sam. "You'll always be young Mr Frodo to me."

                                                                          ************

       The year wound down into autumn, leaves turned gold and orange and red before tumbling to the ground and blowing into nooks and crannies. The children spent much time outside, flinging the leaves up in the air or leaping into the great piles which Sam had gathered. Ellie stood in the centre of a swirling blizzard of crunchy leaves, arms above her head, a fey elf-child with her bouncing curls and small bare feet. Frodo smiled as he watched her, sharing her enchantment. He found himself dragged into the fun as she danced him round, her laughter ringing round the Hill.

       Merry-lad jumped feet-first into a great heap, sending leaves in all directions. Little Pip half-crawled, half staggered to join him, flopping down with a squeal of delight. Even tiny Sooty ventured out and stalked the leaves, springing and rolling as he copied Rufus.

       "Good they can be amused so easily, lass," Sam murmured as he stood on the stoop with his arm round Rose's waist.

       "Frodo, the children or the cats?" She turned her face to his and grinned as he swivelled her to and fro.

       "All of 'em. Look at him - he looks nearly as young as he did before the Quest. And he has something carefree about him now. I always said love could work miracles."

       "So you did, my clever Sam."

       "Clever? I suppose I must be - I chose the best wife and the best master in the whole of Middle-earth."

       "Flattery will get you nearly anywhere, Mister Mayor."

       "Will it now?" His expressive hazel eyes sparkled.

       "Not right now, you chump!" Rose giggled, and shoved him off the step.

                                                                         ************

       Excitement was building as the festival of Samhain approached. Turnip and pumpkin lanterns were carved, costumes prepared and bonfires built in every village. It was the night when the veil between the worlds was at its thinnest and hobbits remembered their loved-ones who had passed into the world ruled by Lord Namo. The fires and lanterns would guide the lost ones back for a time, to watch and share in their families' joys. Frodo had often been aware of the shadows lingering wistfully beyond the circles of firelight, but he had a great deal of Tookish blood and they were considered a fey lot. The Ring and the Morgul blade had only accentuated traits and abilities which already existed.

       Of course, some hobbits did not believe in the existence of the soul but everyone joined in the fun. Hobbits needed little excuse to hold a feast, and the children loved the games and dressing-up.

       Tully turned a spit over the fire, basting the side of beef as it roasted. He glanced over to where the children were greeting each other. Young Merry Gamgee was a very impressive baby dragon and his sister Rosie had decided to be an Entwife. His grand-daughter Columbine had insisted on being a sheep for the occasion. Tully chuckled as he turned the baking potatoes in the embers. Chestnuts spat and crackled and the exhilaratingly cold air was redolent with the spicy smell of mulled cider.

       In a room high in the White Tower of Ecthelion, Aragorn watched his friends enjoying themselves. He could almost smell the food and hear the laughter of excited children, and he returned to his family feeling refreshed, at peace - and very hungry.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List