Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Old Scores  by Baggins Babe

1431 SR

In early Foreyule, the hobbits of Hobbiton, Tuckborough and Buckland packed boxes and loaded carts with gifts to be sent to Gondor. The King would celebrate his hundreth birthday on the first day of Rethe and although they were sad not to be celebrating it with him they had been preparing gifts for months. Rose would be too heavily pregnant to travel, Merry and Pip were reluctant to leave wives and babies for a long time and Merry felt Merimac's loss was too recent. Rose and Sam urged Frodo to go if he wished, but he had decided that his place was at home with a new baby on the way. A few adventurous hobbits, led by Isumbrand Took and his wife, decided to go to Gondor as ambassadors from the Shire. They felt it would be totally wrong for the King not to have some of the Shire-folk around him on such a special day.

       The new year brought a nasty feverish cold, which did the rounds of Hobbiton and Bywater. Most of the children in the Row were ill for a few days, except for Tansy Bunce, who never caught anything.

       "That child runs around with no scarf or hat, sometimes not even a coat or shawl, and never has so much as a sniffle!" Rose muttered. They had all been kept up half the night by sniffly, coughing and feverish children.

       "Her mother was just the same." Frodo poured tea.

       "Ellie and Fro brought this little lot home from school. Nice of them to share it!" Sam said. "Still, they should get over it in a day or two."

       The children did indeed recover very rapidly. However, Sam and Rose both went down with it. Frodo packed them off to bed, and worried when neither of them put up more than a token protest. He sent for Doctor Porto and spent the next week looking after the children, nursing Sam and Rose and baking. May and Ivy also supplied food and the Cottons sent all manner of good things for the invalids. Frodo was anxious about Rose, who was in the sixth month of her pregnancy. He put on his sternest face and refused to allow her to set foot out of bed until Doctor Porto had given his consent. She and Sam were forced to recline in their bedroom, with a fire blazing, while Frodo and the children waited on them.

       "Bossy, isn't he?" she said to Sam, when Frodo had scolded her for taking the plates out.

       "Oh, he can be stubborn can Frodo Baggins. I suppose we'll have to suffer all this fussing, lass."

       "I suppose we will. Let's hope Porto allows us out of here soon. I dread to think what sort of state that kitchen is in by now."

       To Frodo's relief, Porto declared the invalids recovered in a few days, and he handed back control of Bag End to a smiling Rose, who was also relieved to find her kitchen reasonably tidy and surprisingly clean.

                                                                         ************

       As the expected date for the baby's arrival approached, it was decided not to leave Rose alone, just in case the midwife was needed in a hurry. May and Ivy took it in turns to sit with her if Sam and Frodo both needed to be absent, and Lily remained within earshot, ready to run for Garnet Tunnelly. At the end of Astron, when Frodo and Sam had to go into Bywater, Ivy came to keep Rose company.

       They sat companionably in the kitchen, drinking tea and knitting. Ivy seemed flustered and excited. Several times she made as if to speak, then hastily lifted her teacup or busied herself with her knitting. Finally Rose stilled her hands and said softly:

       "Elves and dragons, Ivy! Just tell me what's got you all of a twitter. Spit it out, dear."

       "Well..............y'see, it's Tully......Mr Noakes..........he........well, ......he's been ........we...........that is..........he's asked me to marry him!" She met Rose's eyes defiantly.

       "Ivy, that's wonderful news! You dark horse! He's a good hobbit, one of the best."

       Ivy sighed and dropped her gaze. "He is that. But what will people say? Ted's not been gone a year and it wouldn't be right..........."

       "Piffle and nonsense! Your marriage was over long before Ted died, and I'm sure no-one would think any worse of you for wedding again. Besdies, you have to take happiness when and where you find it, in my opinion. As for other people- let 'em talk! Mind you, if I hear anything against you I'll give them a piece of my mind and no mistake! I think this is marvellous news. How have the children taken it?"

       "They're pleased. Even Teddy likes him and is pleased for me. Will is concerned I might be rushin' into things but he thinks Tully is a fine hobbit. Lily and Vi are thrilled at the prospect of a weddin'."

       "So am I. Oh! this is exciting! There's nothing like a wedding."

                                                                          ************

       On a glorious Thrimidge morning Rose clutched her mother's hand, gave one more determined push and delivered the latest addition to the Gamgee family. The babe had a mass of fair hair, slightly darker in colour than Ellie's, and a thick downy fuzz on her little feet. She did not cry but gazed around, her expression curious. When Garnet and Mrs Cotton had cleaned mother and baby the eager father and uncle were allowed in.

       "She looks a lot like Marigold. Frodo said she'd be Goldilocks," said Sam, holding his tiny daughter with pride.

       "She's beautiful - just like her mother," Frodo murmured, smiling at Rose.

       "Flatterer! I don't feel very beautiful right now!" She was flushed and her hair clung to her brow and neck but she was radiant.

       "Ah, but you are." He gazed down at the little scrunched face as Sam placed the newest Gamgee in his arms.

       "Hello, little Goldilocks. Welcome to the world and to Bag End." He kissed her forehead tenderly.

       The children, who had begged not to be sent away this time, filed in quietly and sat on the blanket chest at the end of the bed after kissing their mother. Frodo and Sam allowed the older ones to take turns to hold the baby and the two youngest kissed her and said hello.

       "So you're a big lad now, Pip. This is your baby sister and you must be gentle with her. Do you like her?"

       Pip nodded. He was a big lad - he could walk and say several words and did not want to be the baby of the family any more. "Yes!" he said

       "Now we're evens. Three lads and three lasses. She's lovely." Ellie held her new sister with practiced ease.

       Frodo-lad examined the baby's tiny fingernails. He had not been terribly interested when Merry and Pip were born but was now old enough to notice such things. "She's sweet."

       "Pffffth!" said the baby, smacking her lips.

       "I think someone wants her first feed."

                                                                         ************

       The lasses walked in to Bywater. Moss met them there, having ridden in with her husband. Together with May, Daisy, Rose, Marigold and Ivy, she walked round, looking at the stalls for a while before making for the haberdashery shop. Rose carried a purse into which they would each drop an anonymous contribution.

       "But supposin' there's not enough!" Ivy wailed, hurrying to catch up with a determined Rose.

       "There will be enough, trust me." Rose turned aside to hide a smile. Frodo had already placed his contribution in the purse when he gave it to her that morning and although she had respected his privacy and not looked at the money, she could tell by the weight that there would be more than enough to pay for the best material they could find.

       In the shop they examined the bales of fine cotton and silk while Ivy tried to distract them, hissing that these were far too expensive. "I'll make do with something....."

       "Ivy, you most certainly will not 'make do'! You made do at your first wedding look where that led you!  This time we're going to do things proper. Just enjoy it, lass." Moss chuckled and looked at a bale of teal blue silk. "Now that colour would suit you."

       "Not at that price!" Ivy hissed.

       "I told you, don't look at the price. You let us worry about that. And Moss is right - that colour would look perfect," said Rose. Her sister-in-law, Daisy, nodded agreement.

       "I reckon that's the one. Now we need some pretty material for the centre panel on the bodice."

       "And didn't you say Widow Rumble has given you some lovely old lace? That will be the perfect finishing touch for the sleeves and bodice."

       "Oh look at that!" May exclaimed, pointing to some very delicate sprigged muslin. "That would look lovely. The tiny flowers would go with the blue of the dress."

       The others gathered round, examining the material and holding it up against Ivy's skin. It did suit her colouring.

       "That's decided then," said Rose. She called to the hobbit matron behind the counter and they went into a huddle about measurements and lengths. A bemused Ivy could only watch as the beautiful material was cut and folded and wrapped in paper. She had often dreamed that one day she would make a silk dress for herself but never seriously thought it would happen.

                                                                         ************

       Ivy watched Rose, Sam and the children depart on their way to Bywater, Rose pushing the new wheeled baby carriage containing the sleeping Goldilocks. Ivy smiled at the sight, which seemed very Tookish somehow. The children trotted along, little Pip clutching Ellie's hand and jumping on the grass verge, his bubbling gleeful giggles floating back on the fragrant air.

       She hurried up the Hill and knocked on the back door. It opened and Frodo smiled when he saw her.

       "Mrs Sandyman! Do come in. I've just made tea." He ushered her to a chair.

       "I hope I'm not intrudin', Mister Frodo......"

       "Not at all." He poured the tea and brought out a plate of sandwiches and some cake.

       Ivy twisted her handkerchief in her fingers and pondered what she wanted to say. Frodo did not press her to speak, merely pottered around for a while and then sat at the table and nibbled a sandwich.

       "You see, Mister Frodo, Teddy's not of age and my brother's a very shy hobbit, 'specially since he lost half his leg. He don't like public speakin' and Gull's no better. Neither of them will want to stand up in front of others and...........I know this probably sounds very cheeky, you bein' a gentlehobbit and all, but I was wonderin' if you would stand sponsor for me at the weddin'?"

       A slow and very beautiful smile spread over Frodo's face. "Mrs Sandyman, it would be an honour. I can't think of anything I'd enjoy more. If you're sure your male relations would rather not.........."

       "I'm sure. And the honour would be mine. You've shown us nothin' but kindness and with your help my children won't turn out to be like their father. You are a very special person, Mister Frodo. Ted couldn't have been more wrong about you - you're the kindest, most considerate, most.......good person I've ever met." She gazed at him and a little smile played around her lips. "There now! I'm right sorry I've made you blush but I'm only speakin' the truth."

       Frodo was more than a little flustered by this. "Well.........er...........I would certainly be proud to stand sponsor for you. Goodness! I've never been asked to do this before and I'm very flattered. Thank you for asking me, Mrs Sandyman."

       "My pleasure. And I think it's more than time you called me Ivy. I'm not goin' to be a Sandyman much longer and to be honest it isn't a name I enjoy hearin'."

       "I can understand that. More tea then, Ivy?"

       "Thank you. You make a fine pot of tea I must say. Tully makes tea you could stand a spoon up in, then he leaves his sittin' there until it's cold before he drinks it!"

       Frodo laughed out loud. "I've tasted his tea - he certainly likes it strong. I must confess I don't mind cold tea. When I was young I used to often be so engrossed in a book that my tea sat there for an hour, so if I was thirsty I drank it anyway. And Bilbo nearly always drank his cold - said he preferred it that way."

       If anyone had told Ivy twelve months before that she would be sitting in Bag End's kitchen, chatting easily to the Master of the Hill and laughing with him while they shared tea and sandwiches, she would have declared them to be 'touched.'

       "There's just one more thing, Mister Frodo. Do you think Mister Merry and Mister Pippin would come? Would they be offended if I asked 'em?

       "On the contrary, I think they'd be delighted. Besides, you know what those two are like - a party with a feast! Can you see them turning it down?"

                                                                         ************

       The seventeenth day of Wedmath dawned warm and clear. In the Gamgee household and the smials of New Row there was a great deal of frenzied activity. The children, washed and dressed in their best, were forbidden to go outside or move from their seats in the parlour. Frodo took charge, cradling baby Goldie gently and keeping the others amused with songs and stories while Sam and Rose bathed and dressed. Rose emerged wearing a magnolia coloured dress with deep gold ribbons and tiny orange flowers on the bodice. Sam was wearing his suit from Gondor, with his watch chain gleaming across his waistcoat. He was carrying the magnificent ink stand which Gimli had given to Frodo for his last birthday, two copies of the marriage contract and the marriage band.

       This was a strip of material about two feet long and four or five inches wide, usually sewn by the bride or her mother and embroidered with symbols of the wedding couple and the two families. Ivy had stitched it and it contained images of mills, sheep, beehives - her father had been the best known bee-keeper in the West Farthing - and lots of flowers, birds and butterflies. It would be used to bind the couple's hands together and would afterwards be presented to them, along with a copy of the contract.

       Sam and Rose set off with the children - Sam to go to the Party Field and ensure everything was ready while Rose and the lasses were off to New Row to help dress the bride. Frodo bathed and dressed in his emerald green suit, combed his hair, brushed his feet and made his way down to the Row.

                                                                         ************

       Lily opened the door, blushed and ushered Frodo in to the little parlour. Moss, May, Daisy and Rose were putting the finishing touches to Ivy's hair, the little lasses werenibbling biscuits in the kitchen and baby Goldie dozed in her basket. The dress was utterly perfect - the deep teal blue suited Ivy's colouring while the white sprigged muslin decorating the bodice and forming the centre panel of the skirt added a delicate touch against the strong colour. Fine lace edged the sleeves and neckline. Rose lifted the bridal wreath, which Sam had made early that morning, and placed it on Ivy's head. Naturally ivy formed the core - both the dark green and variegated varieties - with long tendrils trailing down, and it was completed by yellow-gold roses, white lilies, dainty late-flowering violets and a few twists of columbine. Her posy contained the same plants.

       "Ivy, you look wonderful!"

       Ivy blushed. She had never felt like this or worn such a fine gown. She glanced down to where Moss was giving her toes a final brushing.

       Frodo drew from his pocket a long box. "I think it is time for you to have this."

       "Oh Mister Frodo, you shouldn't!"

       "Yes I should. Humour me. It is one of the duties of the bride's sponsor to present her with a gift - and a very pleasant duty it is too. Turn around and close your eyes."

       Ivy obeyed and felt something cool at her throat. She heard little gasps from the others, felt Frodo's fingers fastening something at the nape of her neck and was then turned to face the mirror.

       "You can open your eyes now."

       Ivy could not speak. She was wearing a necklace composed of silver and enamelled ivy leaves and had never owned anything more beautiful. Tears glittered in her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered.

       The flower lasses gathered round to admire the necklace, which Frodo had bought in Bree some weeks before. Little Columbine was enchanted, as well as being very happy to see her name-flower in Ivy's wreath and posy.

       Rose gathered up the basket and led all the others outside, leaving Frodo and Ivy alone. The children stayed by the gate, ready to lead the bride down the Hill.

       "Well Ivy? Are you ready? Tully won't be able to take his eyes off you."

       "Bit different from my first weddin'. That was all done in a rush and was all make do and mend. Well, I was.... 'spectin' Teddy and my old Dad hated the Sandymans so it was very quiet. And my weddin' ring broke after six months, which was an omen if ever there was one!" She laughed. "Now here I have the future Thain and Master, the Mayor to marry us and the Master of the Hill as my sponsor! Who'd 'a' thought it?" She picked up her posy. The tendrils of ivy trailed almost to the floor and the perfume of the roses and white Elven lilies filled the room. On impulse she took one of the yellow roses and placed it in Frodo's buttonhole. "There! Goes with the flowers on your weskit."

       Frodo offered her his arm and they stepped outside into the dazzling sunshine. From the Party Field the guests heard children's voices raised in the bridal greeting, led by Ellie with her bell-like and strangely adult singing voice.

       Tully stole a sidelong glance at his bride as she halted beside him. He was wearing a new suit and was obviously feeling very uncomfortable. He ran a finger inside his collar.

       "Friends and neighbours," Sam began, "We're all gathered today to see two of our own marry. Both have known sadness and hardship and it's a wonderful thing that they have found each other. Marriage should be a partnership of equals, where neither seeks to dominate the other. It should bring joy and comfort and help to create a happy home for the family. Who stands for the groom?"

       A nervous Totty Noakes stepped forward. "I do, sir. Totty Noakes of Hobbiton. I'm of age and declare that Tully Noakes is my father. He is a hard-working hobbit of good character and a widower and there is no reason why he cannot wed."

       "Who stands for the bride?"

       "Frodo Baggins of Hobbiton. I am of age and I declare that Ivy Sandyman is a hard-working hobbitess of good character. She is a widow and there is no reason why she may not wed."

       Sam called them forward. Totty and Frodo joined the couple's hands and Sam wrapped the marriage band around them. "Tully Noakes, do you promise to take Ivy as your wife, to care for her, confide in her, love her and remain faithful to her for as long as your lives together shall last?"

       "I do," said Tully firmly.

       "Ivy Sandyman, do you promise to take Tully as your husband, to care for him, confide in him, love him and remain faithful to him for as long as your lives together shall last?"

       "I do."

       Sam unwrapped the band and Frodo and Totty placed the wedding rings on the table. He took the smaller ring and handed it to Tully, who repeated the words as he placed the simple gold band on Ivy's finger.

       "This ring is a sign of my love and respect. It is to remind us both why we made these vows and to tell others that we are husband and wife."

       Ivy did the same thing with the ring for Tully and then Sam spoke. "We wish Ivy and Tully long life and great happiness together. I now pronounce that they are husband and wife. Congratulations Mr Noakes. You may now kiss Mrs Noakes."

       There was loud laughter as Tully kissed his bride.

       "Now if the happy couple, the sponsors and the witnesses would step forward we'll sign the marriage contract." Sam dipped the quill in red ink and signed, then handed the pen to the couple, who signed their names.

       Frodo ushered Teddy and Lily to the table, much to their surprise, and they were allowed to sign with Frodo as witness. Merry and Pip both added their names with a flourish, Sam wound the marriage band round one copy and gave it to Ivy. The other copy would go to Michel Delving to be lodged in the Council Hole.

       "Now I think we should go and drink a toast to the new Mr and Mrs Noakes, before Tully's new collar strangles him," added Sam, to appreciative chuckles. "There's ale cooling in the stream and it's long past lunch time!"

       Frodo looked around the Party Field with a sigh of satisfaction as they all made their way to the feast. In the morning he would take Teddy and Will on a hike to the Woody End for a camping trip and Lily and Vi were staying at Bag End for a week, to give the newly-weds some privacy. This was the happy conclusion he had hoped for.

       "Come along Fro, you snail! I'll eat your share as well!" yelled Pip, and Frodo quickened his pace to prevent such a terrible possibility.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List