Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 23 - Danger Lies Ahead

“Erkenbrand is the key,” Elrohir whispered. “Take him with us and they will not follow, fearing for his safety. If somehow I can persuade him that he will be released as soon as we reach the borders of Gondor…”

“Do you not think his men will be upon our heels as soon as we turn our backs?” Aragorn asked, appalled at the suggestion of kidnapping, the taking of a hostage. His brother must have gone mad!

Elladan stood silent, peeking through the entrance cloth to guard their speech. He too wondered at Elrohir’s plan, but thought it better to hear him out before he decided his brother had truly lost his mind!

“Listen to me, Estel. He has visited this tent many times since we were brought here. We have spoken often while you lay asleep, healing. I tell you, I trust this man. There is a goodness about him. Besides, if we escape with horses, he will bear the punishment. I cannot let that happen. I will not be able to persuade him to come with us willingly, but once we are gone from here, I believe I can persuade him to try not to flee. He has shown great wisdom and honour in his speech.”

Aragorn lay back on the cot, his hand covering his eyes. He knew the Rohirrim to be a wise and honourable people, but duty came first. Erkenbrand’s sense of duty would not allow them to escape. But perhaps his sense of honour would allow him to accept his fate once they brought him with them, allow him to travel with them without their having to fear treachery.

“How do we do this?”

“When next he comes to visit, you will feign a relapse. He will send for his leech. The leech will enter and examine you. When he does, I will draw my knife, the one hidden in my boot, and, unbeknownst to the leech, close in on Erkenbrand and whisper that we will harm the leech if the captain does not cooperate.”

“You would not!” Elladan turned in surprise.

“Of course I would not! Erkenbrand will not know that. His duty to his men will make him acquiesce. Then, he and I will walk quietly to the stables, take two horses and bring them to the back of this tent. You, in the meantime, will get well and the leech will leave. I will signal when we are at the back of the tent; you lift the flap and sneak out, and we will walk the horses out of this paddock and be free.”

Aragorn shook his head. “There are so many possibilities for disaster in your plan, I have lost count of them!”

“What is the worst that can happen? We are discovered and taken to Edoras.”

“Nay! We are shot by a Rohirric archer!”

“I do not think so. The plains of Rohan are very dark, Estel. There will be little or no moon this night. They will give us our choice tomorrow – go back to Imladris or be taken to Edoras as prisoners. This is our moment.” Elrohir stood before them, hands held outstretched, offering them a way to continue their quest.

“Estel,” Elladan spoke softly. “It is not good to threaten another just man, but if you desire to save Faramir, we must do something drastic.”

“We have no supplies,” Aragorn said simply.

“We do not, but I will see what I can find when we reach the stables. At least, fodder for the horses. I would take a pack animal too, but it would only slow us down.”

“Why only two…?”

“Sh!” Elladan said and walked to his brother’s side. Aragorn saw the gleam in his eye and lay back, beginning to moan piteously. His stomach truly had turned sour at the thought of what they were about to attempt.

~*~

They had traveled four days now and Ragnhild was sure she would never walk again. The pitch and sway of the rickety cart bruised her very bones. Thankfully, they were just outside Tarnost, the small city in the hills of the same name. They would soon begin the harder part of the journey, the part full of deceit and lies. She was grateful Targon was with her. The lad had proved a marvelous cook. She had never eaten so well in all her life. Somehow, if ever she returned to Rohan, she would steal the lad and take him with her!

None knew her on the south side of the White Mountains; none knew the cook’s apprentice. They should have no trouble with their ruse, posing as a healer and her assistants. But they would need to quickly endear themselves to the gentry of the land, the lords of Tarnost, for that is where the treason lay, in the nobles. ‘Nobles!’ she thought derisively. ‘Nobles who attack young children and…’ She stifled a sob.

Targon heard the sound and looked at her, wide-eyed. “There is naught to fear, lad,” she said quietly. “Aerin,” she called, and the apprentice healer looked up from the bed of the cart. “Tell Targon we have naught to fear.”

The healer’s apprentice looked at Ragnhild, her eyes as wide as the cook’s apprentice. Ragnhild laughed loudly. “With such confidence, I could rule all of Gondor and Rohan besides!”

She pulled the cart up and looked behind her. Balan and Baran rode forward. “It is time to part. Wait for an hour, then follow us into town. We will find lodging on the main street. You will see the cart parked in front, if possible, and know that we are in that inn. If there is a problem, I will have Targon sit on the steps in front of the establishment that we will stay in.”

They bowed their heads, pulled back upon their horses’ reins and waited for her to start forward.

She shook her head. ‘How did I ever get two brothers again? ‘Tis not a good omen. The last two that went with an entourage I was involved with died. Not a good omen indeed.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List