Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter 1 -

1)  Aragorn is not 'all-knowing' - he is still learning. As is Gandalf.

Chapter 2 -

1)      Men might possibly 'fade' - especially those with Elven blood as Faramir is said to have (his ancestry as a grandson of Dol Amroth).

2)     Faramir's long bout of unconsciousness - I attribute it to possible 'fading,' to the hideous grief and horror that he is living with, and to a 'spell' of the enemy.

3)     Théoden's leaving. He knows that, even though Amandil has been found out, someone in the Mark sabotaged that wagon way back in one of the first chapters of My Sword Sings. To leave Edoras unprotected, so to speak, for too long a time, is too dangerous. And, sadly enough, there is nothing he can do for Faramir at this time.

4)     I have absolutely fallen in love with the Rohirrim... due to Eomund's awesome behavior in 'Sings' - now Théodred is quickly growing up.

Chapter 3

1)      His brothers (the Twins) call him Estel, but somewhere in ROTK Aragorn states that, even though he is High King Elessar, he may still be called Aragorn. I thought he must like the name and so use it here. Regarding the Twins and their relationship with Aragorn - From FOTR - Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own.

Chapter 5

1)     I have the Elves and Aragorn riding with saddles; Aragorns's a man who served with the Horse Lords and in the cavalry of Ecthelion. I thought he'd be used to a saddle. The horse he receives from Éomer in TTT has saddle and reins. Glorfindel rode with a big, flashy saddle; so I am letting the Twins have saddles too.

2)     I found it also interesting that Elrohir was able to share and Elladan was not. Grief's manifestations are so different, person to person. I'm hoping some of this will help Ell with his own grief.  And Aragorn, though he has seen death, has not experienced it in the familial sense. Seems to me, with his running all over the Angle, etc., that he and Gilraen did not see each other much. I wonder if she 'blocked' him to protect his heart? LOTR - The Appendixes - is where you will find the tale of what happened to their mother, Celebrian, wife of Lord Elrond.

Chapter 6

1)   I found it fascinating in ROTK that Saruman falls under Sauron's spell almost immediately after he uses the Palantir. In 2989, his treachery was still unknown, but I believe it was there, hiding in the caves and tunnels of Angrenost. Neither Gandalf nor Elrond knew of his treachery until the incident with Gandalf being imprisoned.

Chapter 7

1)   Dreams played such a large part in Tolkien's many tales... It seemed logical and plausible, during this terrible time, that many involved would be assailed so... however, is it the White Wizard or Sauron?

Chapter 8

1)   As for Aragorn - seems wise to keep his identity hidden. A little nuzgul went running through my mind about whether or not the wizard had ever met him or if Gandalf or Elrond had said anything about him at the White Council... but I don't think so. I remember somewhere that it is said that Gandalf and Elrond kept his little tidbit quiet.

Chapter 9

1)      The Great Library of Minas Tirith held a plethora of manuscripts both old and new, from Númenor all the way to modern-day Minas Tirith, of men and elves and others. Denethor was incredibly well-read, as was his son, Faramir. I do not think the tales read by a descendant of 'The Faithful' would be left to gather dust.

2)     That Elrond should be called 'healer' would stem, I think, from the life that he led - battle-hardened, battle-weary, and battle-ready. And one of the most important parts of being battle-ready, no matter what, would be knowing the healing arts. After the thousands of years that he lived, he would be well-versed, I think, and well-known for his skills - all of them.

3)     I like Imrahil - I liked him before, when he saved Faramir in ROTK - and now that I'm writing about him - I like him even more. I really don't hold with the tales that say he and Denethor had bad blood between them... I think the Prince of Dol Amroth respected the Steward... as well as respecting himself... 

4)     The severing of friendship between men and Elves was profound. I think each side 'lost' a part of themselves...To think that legends, such as a healer from the North, still run strong though - as with Galadriel - though her legend seems to be more of her part (or not) in the Elven massacre - could that be what Gondor remembers? And not that she kept and governed Lórien well? Since the Númenóreans were Elf-friends, they might very well have learned of her part in the treachery and feared her... Though Aragorn seems to say otherwise. ('Course - he's prejudiced - the Elleth is his future bride's grandmother!)

5)     Curunír is still considered 'good' by Elrond and Mithrandir. However, I thought it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of imagination, to have Aragorn feel a certain 'unease' around the Wizard. And would Curunír have used his powers against the Ranger - hoping that none would be the wiser for it?

6)     Saruman - I'm still in a quandary as to why on earth Gandalf trusted him... Saruman sure pulled the wool over his eyes... OR Gandalf suspected and was waiting for the Maia to hang himself....

Chapter 10

1)      As for the brothers - how does one protect oneself from a loved one? Knowing that Aragorn would never, ever attack Elladan or Elrohir makes no difference when he is wielding a torch at one of them. Elrohir had to do something to save Elladan YET not harm Aragorn.

2)      I love how Tolkien gave us tiny hints of the power of the Maiar. I am particularly fond of the 'locking spell' that Gandalf used in Moria.

3)      The burial places in Rath Dínen, I believe were for the rich and the kings, stewards, and lords of Gondor. It is said that the place consisted of mansions and domed buildings. The poor and lowly of Gondor, I believe, were buried elsewhere.

Chapter 11

1)      I loved the fact that the lies of Saruman and Sauron were so potent. They reflected Morgoth's - the ultimate liar. The snide little whispers in the ear - unbeknownst to the listener - hideous distortions made to seem real. So many listened. Not only Théoden in LOTR, but also many Elves and Men in the Silmarillion. In fact, when the Edain finally discover the Aftercomers (Men), Morgoth has already filled them with lies.

Chapter 12

1)      I don't think that Aragorn was strong enough, as of yet, to fight the powers of Saruman. Even Gandalf couldn't as the Grey.

Chapter 13

1)   I think one of the hardest things about living in Middle-earth was the giving up of the innocence of the children. Reminds me of battle-torn countries where pictures of little ones, 10-13 years old, wield machines gun. Faramir, Boromir, Théodred, Targon, even Angbor - all with lives that were not 'normal.'

Chapter 15

1)      Did I say how much I like Imrahil!!!

2)      Wolves - Indis is able, for a time to fend off the wolf. I have read of tales where, when a love one is threatened, that a mother has picked up a car and held it up to free her son, or of a mother stepping between a bear and her daughter and saving the child. I believe adrenalin is a very powerful piece of the body's defense works and would allow Indis to have the strength for a moment, to fend off the wolf until she found the dirk.

3)      Beregond is not the same character as that in LOTR - he is much older; might be an uncle or some such.

Chapter 17

1)     Angbor, in LOTR, is the lord of Lamedon; Beregond calls him Fearless. He aided Aragorn wit the Grey Host of the Dead. After Aragorn went further south to stop the Haradric Fleet, he took his force to Minas Tirith to help in its defense. I could NOT sully his name. He will definitely be in the sequel.

Chapter 18

1)      Éomund - here's the quote from the Appendix that I base his characterization on. 'In 2989 Théodwyn married Éomund of Eastfold, the chief Marshal of the Mark. Her son Éomer was born in 2991, and her daughter Éowyn in 2995. At that time Sauron had arisen again, and the shadow of Mordor reached out to Rohan. Orcs began to raid in the eastern regions and slay or steal horses. Others also came down from the Misty Mountains, many being great uruks in the service of Saruman, though it was long before that was suspected. Éomund's chief charge lay in the east marches; and he was a great lover of horses and hater of Orcs. If news came of a raid he would often ride against them in hot anger, unwarily and with few men. Thus it came about that he was slain in 3002; for he pursued a small band to the borders of the Emyn Muil, and was there surprised by a strong force that lay in wait in the rocks.'  I love him to pieces - never had before I started writing this - but he definitely got himself killed!!! Drat... good man to have around when in need.

2)      Someone told me horses never laid down. If they did, it was because they were sick, dying, or were having a foal. Then, I met Jane Abbott in NZ - she told me horses definitely laid down - hence, I used that in the tale. Others agreed and we kind of came up with the three hour rule. LOL

Chapter 19

1)  Drowning in ice water - the body's first response is to gasp. The snow-covered water would be dark. Finding up and down would be near to impossible. As hypothermia progresses, the body ceases shivering (its one defense).

Chapter 20

1)     Aragorn left the inn in Bree in such a hurry that he never gave thought to the repercussions of him meeting Rohirrim and Gondorians. His main focus was on Faramir and healing the boy. His grief at the news of Denethor's death, his self-recriminations for the way they parted, and a host of other things, all conspired to make him forget everything else and go off, 'willy-nilly' as Bilbo would say, without really thinking things through. I'm sure Elrond wondered about this when his son spoke to him in Imladris before he left for the mission.

2)     Some would say that Théodred was way too young to take on a mission such as this - but war made boys men quickly. Rohan was never 'safe' nor was Gondor. Oaths, for both countries, seemed to be incredibly binding, i.e., the Oath of Cirion and Eorl. '"And Cirion said: this oath will last for the remembrance of the glory of the land of the star and of the faith of Elendil the faithful. They shall keep it, those who sit on the thrones in the West, and the One who dwells above all thrones forever." Unfinished Tales

Chapter 21

1)      One of the hardest things I found in the customs of Gondor was the fact that, once married, then widowed, folks rarely ever married again. Difficult for all concerned.

2)     It would be easy to become an itinerant healer. I think that, if you were a healer and did not work in the Houses in Minas Tirith, you ended up doing some illegal stuff to earn a living, or else you just left town, so to speak.

Chapter 23

1)   During Wormtongue's reign, Théoden actually ordered that none be allowed in Rohan without his permission. I do not think the order was backed by the 'pain of death' punishment until Grima despoiled the King's mind. I took this a little further, since Denethor did the same thing at about the same time, and made Theoden's decree happen earlier.

Chapter 24

1)      I don't think it would have been against Elladan and Elrohir's nature to use subterfuge and trickery to free themselves from bondage. Long had they fought against evil. Aragorn's inherent nobility and naiveté, I think, found it difficult. In the end, something had to be done and Aragorn, though even physically impacted by the decision, went along with it. I don't think this was to the detriment of the Elves' character.

2)     Ragnhild was taking some wild chances, but she had lived for quite some time and could, as a leech, read people. I believe she felt the old man in the town hall was so full of himself that he would be too happy to give out as much information as possible, if only to show himself somehow grand and important.

Chapter 26

1)      I found the argument between Éomund and Indis to be incredibly sad and disturbing. How much of it was the effect of Sauron on the land and the peoples of Middle-earth, I cannot say. But I believe that Indis is getting near the end of her rope, that she is beginning to believe that Faramir is dying, and that she cannot allow that to happen, no matter the consequences for others. Perhaps not valid, but a mother's love (and her's is very close to that) knows no bounds.

2)      I went to Shadow.Poetry.com and looked for something that sounded Elvish - up popped a cinquain...now doesn't that sound like fun! According to ShadowPoetry "Cinquain is a short, usually unrhymed poem consisting of twenty-two syllables distributed as 2, 4, 6, 8, 2, in five lines. Another form, sometimes used by school teachers to teach grammar, is as follows: Line 1: Noun Line 2: Description of Noun Line 3: Action Line 4: Feeling or Effect Line 5: Synonym of the initial noun. The teachers' one does not have a # of syllables, but I stayed close to the orignal one.

Chapter 28

1)      Aragorn is in the same boat as Indis, so to speak. (see chapter 26 note) His love for Denethor and guilt at much of their relationship is pushing him onwards. His focus is solely now on making amends by healing Faramir, again, to the bitter end.

2)     Orcs were known to be in the White Mountains. It seemed only plausible to me that they would be scurrying for food. Unfortunately, they found human food.

Chapter 29

1)  I asked a friend who is a surgeon about the use of a man's intestines to bind him, and she agreed that it is a very good possibility that Orcs could use it in such a manner.

Chapter 32

1)   Though some of Indis' company had not received severe wounds, the cold and loss of blood would definitely account for the lassitude that Éomund found himself assailed by and the lack of consciousness of Indis and Théodred.

Chapter 33

1)   I cannot see Aragorn taking the throne at this time. Too much death, misery and intrigue in the Halls of Gondor. It would have been even worse timing than during the War of the Rings.

Chapter 35

1)      Erendis is the name of a Queen of Numenor. Poor Erendis has mixed feelings about the name she was given. I never did get a chance to go into this further. Drat - sometimes tales take you so far and then leave you!

Chapter 36

1)      I cannot believe that there were not wounded and retired soldiers living in all parts of Gondor. And fiercely patriotic ones at that.

2)      The people of Dol Amroth and the area around Edhellond might possibly have had Elven blood in them also, not just the Swan Prince's family. I think they would be proud of it.

Chapter 42

1)      There is nothing in LOTR that I have found that states when and whom knew of Aragorn's betrothal to Arwen. I just liked the fact that he now chose to share the knowledge with his brother.

Chapter 45

1)      My father's cousin, who crossed from Ohio into Nebraska in a covered wagon at the end of the 19th century, met a man and wed him three dates later. In the times that Middle-earth were part of, it seems not implausible for love to kindle and be struck quickly so as not to lose it. IMHO. So Ragnhild and Borondir's fire is lit.

Chapter 46

1)      Finding Thorongil again has put Aragorn in a very sticky position. Also, Indis, as Ecthelion's counselor, knew Thorongil well. She probably also knew that Ecthelion might seriously have considered making Thorongil his Captain-general, or even Steward after him. Again, the Kin-strife was the most hideous thing that had ever happened to the Men of Númenor. I believe they would do anything to prevent it from every happening again. Which is why, in LOTR, Aragorn waits before entering the city, waits until he is semi-assured of acceptance by the people.

Epilogue

1)      Some were disheartened when reading this and thought that My Sword Weeps ended too quickly. However, the whole premise of the journey of both parties, Indis' and Aragorn's, was to rescue Faramir. Once the lad awoke, this part of the tale was finished.

THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL....The War of the Ring still occurs and who knows what Faramir, as Steward of Gondor, will do.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List