Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Farewell, Dear heart  by Frodo Baggins

My eyes gaze over the Shire. My vision is blurred from the tears that spring to my eyes. I am sure that as you read this, you can see the tearstains on the paper. I am leaving. Since the day I was born, a call has been on my life. Nay, before I was born, the call has been there. My Creator had a plan for me, and now I must make a choice. Do I follow his will, or do I stay in comfort?

I cannot stay. I don't expect you to understand; however, I will explain it anyway. I cannot stay because if I do, I will have to live with the knowledge that I denied Iluvatar, my Creator, what I owe him; I selfishly kept myself from Him and from you. I know this means that I must leave you all. I must leave questions unanswered, ends untied. I wish you could crawl inside me and feel the pain I feel about leaving you. It hurts so much, that often I feel physically sick. You can't know what I feel, so perhaps this letter will allow you to taste the bitterness of my heart.

I have steeled myself for this mission because it is my duty. My Creator gave me a life I did not deserve. Who am I to withold that which is his when he asks it of me? I hope you understand what I am telling you. I pray that you will not feel the pain as sharply as I feel it. Take care of yourselves, dear ones.

Sam, I know this will rip your heart to shreds. I cannot beg your forgiveness enough. Just know that my heart is also in shards.

Merry, dear Merry, this is the second time I leave you without warning. How can I be doing this to you? I do not know. I am simply following my Creator. I pray that He will take care of you.

Pippin-lad, take care of Merry and keep yourself out of trouble. You have always been a little beam of sunshine to me. I will carry your memory for the dark road ahead.

I will carry all your love and memory with me. I love you all, and pray that I will see you again.

I love you more than words can tell.

Love,

Your Frodo   





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List