Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Making Spirits Bright  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Written for the Waymeet Yuletide "Get Cracking!" Challenge. Thank you to Gryffinjack for the beta!

As the month wore on the hobbits saw little of Gandalf, so often was he in Aragorn's company as the two studied maps and discussed the road the Company would take. And so Pippin was greatly surprised when, as he walked through the garden one afternoon just three days before their departure from Rivendell, he happened across Gandalf sitting alone on a finely wrought bench beneath a mighty tree, its branches bare and swaying in the chill breeze that swept through the valley.

"Gandalf!" he said, pleased. "I was just wishing I could speak with you!"

The wizard raised his eyebrows. "Is that so?" he replied, motioning for Pippin to sit beside him.

Pippin nodded as he climbed onto the bench. "I was just thinking about Yule. I don't suppose we'll celebrate it this year, or at least we won't celebrate it properly, in the wild." Though Pippin said this lightly, a look of worry crossed his face as he thought of the road that lay ahead and the dangers they would confront.

"Certainly we will not mark the occasion as you usually do in the Shire," Gandalf agreed, recalling the times he had been fortunate enough to celebrate Yule amongst hobbits. He had sorely missed their cheerful festivities during those years he had spent the holiday alone or amongst others who did not share the hobbits' joyful spirit. Now Gandalf studied Pippin closely, sensing he had more to say on the matter. "Did you have a suggestion to make, Peregrin?"

Pippin hesitated. He knew they were supposed to treat the Quest with utmost seriousness, and he desperately wanted to prove that he would be a help to Frodo, especially since Lord Elrond had been so reluctant to let him join the Fellowship. It was Gandalf who had unexpectedly spoken in support of him, and Pippin did not want to disappoint him in any way.

"Gandalf," he began tentatively. "Would it be all right if we celebrated Yule in some fashion? If we had a special treat to share, or small gifts to exchange…" Pippin trailed off, looking embarrassed. "But I suppose it might seem like a silly notion to some of the others," he added, thinking of the Big Folk who comprised the rest of the Company. They all seemed rather grim.

But Gandalf chuckled. "No, indeed!" he said, his eyes twinkling merrily. "I think it is a fine idea, my lad, and quite generous of you to want to arrange such a thing. Not all races celebrate Yule as hobbits do, of course, but I am certain our companions would appreciate a bit of cheer."

Pippin beamed at Gandalf's approval. "Let us not tell them," he said, slipping down from the bench with a grin. "I would like for it to be a surprise. I'll see you at supper, Gandalf – I suppose I had better start working on those Yule gifts!" With that he dashed away, intent on his happy errand.

Gandalf smiled as he watched Pippin go, and then gave a troubled sigh. A small celebration would help keep everyone's spirits up. The Fellowship would undoubtedly face many perils on their road, more than anyone – even he – could foresee, but Gandalf hoped that Yule would find them as safe as possible.

It was nearly dawn, and though they had walked farther than expected that evening Gandalf bid them to continue for just a little longer, for ahead there stood several trees, a surprising appearance in the mostly barren landscape. There the Fellowship set up camp, drawing what shelter they could from the trees, though they did little to shield them from the icy wind coming from the mountains.

During the evening's march Legolas had shot two small birds, and these they roasted and ate for supper. It was a bountiful meal compared to the dried meat and bread they had eaten for the past few days, but hardly the grand Yule feast served at Brandy Hall, where Pippin's family usually spent the holiday. One glance at his cousins' glum faces told Pippin that Frodo and Merry shared his thoughts.

It surprised Pippin that no one, not even his cousins, mentioned Yule. It was First Yule after all, and while Pippin did not suppose that elves, men and dwarves celebrated as hobbits did, he could not fathom that the other races let the turning of the year go by unnoticed. It seemed to Pippin that everyone was just as terribly homesick as he was, and did not wish to mention the celebrations they must be missing.

At Brandy Hall each window was always lit with candles and garlands of holly decorated every doorway and mantle. The scent of peppermint and freshly baked biscuits filled the air and everyone, young and old, took delight in party games and Yule crackers. There was also feasting, music and dancing, and plenty of laughter and good cheer. While Pippin could not replicate such a celebration here in the wild, he hoped his plan would bring the rest of the Fellowship some joy.

Pippin slept for a brief time after supper before it was his turn to take the watch. After searching the camp and finding nothing amiss and his companions asleep, he quietly dug through his pack. At the bottom, out of sight beneath his spare clothes, were ten small bags, crafted out of a cheerful green fabric and tied with bright red ribbons.

When he had left Gandalf in the garden on that afternoon in Rivendell, Pippin had sought the assistance of several elves in hopes of preparing gifts for the Fellowship. With their help Pippin had managed to obtain the bags and fill them with nuts, dried fruits and some sweets. He had even had the opportunity to make a bag for himself, and one filled with sugar cubes for Bill. Now Pippin crept through the camp and left one bag by each of his sleeping companions in a place where they were certain to find it upon waking. Then he sat on a nearby rock, one hand resting lightly on the hilt of his sword as he kept a careful watch over the camp.

Much to Pippin's surprise, Gandalf woke some time before the end of the watch. Immediately he discovered his gift and looked through its contents with a smile before coming over to Pippin

"Wonderful work, my lad," he said. "A thoughtful gift, and a useful one as well. And now, Pippin, I think I shall take up the watch while you return to your rest. My thoughts are weighing heavily on my mind tonight, and I cannot rest as I would like."

"Do you want company, Gandalf?" Pippin asked, though he was exhausted, still unaccustomed to walking so far and so long every day. An enormous yawn threatened, but he managed to suppress it.

"No," Gandalf replied kindly. "I expect that you are tired – and I also expect not to hear a single complaint during our next march," he warned with a stern look.

"I won't…I promise!" Pippin started toward his blanket but quickly turned back with a grin. "Happy Yule, Gandalf."

"Happy Yule, Peregrin," Gandalf replied, watching fondly as the hobbit burrowed between his cousins.

In just a few moments, Pippin was asleep. He slept soundly as the sun sank lower in the sky, and was eventually startled awake by a voice speaking far too close to his ear, and far too loudly. "Happy Yule!"

With a groan Pippin managed to crack open his eyes. His effort was rewarded as he glanced around the camp, and saw the joyous expressions on the faces of his companions. Each one had been touched to discover his gift upon waking.

It was Merry who had awakened him, and now he asked, "How did you manage to keep it a secret, Pippin? Gandalf said it was all your doing. I can't believe you didn't tell Frodo and me!"

"I wanted it to be a surprise," Pippin explained as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"It certainly was," Frodo said. Though he smiled, there was a look of sadness and guilt in Frodo's eyes that Pippin disliked and wished would not appear so often. "I felt dreadful yesterday, knowing that I was keeping you, Merry and Sam from your families at Yule. You should be with them, and not in the grave danger I have put you in."

"Oh, Frodo," Pippin said, taking his cousin's hand. "You are our family, and we don't want to be any place else right now."

Beside him Merry nodded firmly. "Our road is the same as yours, Frodo. Not even the promise of a Yule celebration would make us stray from it."

Frodo smiled gratefully at that.

"Anyway," Pippin said, wishing to turn their conversation in a lighter direction, "we'll have our own little celebration now."

"We even have Yule crackers," Merry added. "Though I cannot imagine how you ever found those in Rivendell, Pippin."

Pippin turned to Merry in surprise. "Yule crackers?"

Merry laughed and gestured to Pippin's side. There was indeed a brightly colored Yule cracker lying beside him. When Pippin looked around the camp he saw that the other members of the Fellowship each had a cracker as well. While Sam explained their history to Legolas and Gimli, Aragorn and Boromir took a turn at pulling a cracker. Instead of popping loudly as a cracker normally would, it merely fizzled away like pipe-smoke carried by the wind, leaving the prize inside behind. Not one of their enemies would be alerted to their position by the cleverly designed crackers.

"You've been nearly as close as Gandalf lately," Merry observed. "Tell us – how did you manage to find Yule crackers in Rivendell? Did one of the elves help you make them?"

When Pippin did not reply Frodo shook his head and smiled. "I don't think our cousin is going to resolve that mystery, Merry," he said. "Very well, Pippin. Keep your secrets! We know who was responsible."

Pippin glanced at Gandalf. The wizard still sat upon the rock where Pippin had left him, smoking as he watched the scene before him and no doubt delighted by the results of his little bit of magic.

"So do I," said Pippin as a knowing grin spread across his face. "So do I."





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List