Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Knights of the City and the Mark  by Hai Took

Title: Knights of the City and the Mark

Rating: G

Story Starter: The Field of Cormallen when Pippin announces to Frodo and Sam that he and Merry are Knights of the City and the Mark, when were they knighted?

Disclaimer: All names, places and events belong to JRR Tolkien.

This was written originally for Marigold’s Challenge #3. The stories for the challenges and other wonderful recommendations can be found here http:**www.geocities.com*marigoldsrecommendations* . (replace asterisks with slashes)

A big thanks to Marigold who did the beta-ing for me on this story. I really appreciate it, especially as it was last minute!

Knight of the Mark

Éowyn looked around the Healing chamber she had been placed in, her thoughts flying darkly here and there, remembering the past day. She had been called from the Black Shadow, the price she had paid for valor. Yet even now she wished to ride to the impending battle under the banner of her country. That it seemed would not come to pass, she would be left behind with the other wounded, among others with the Lord Faramir and Meriadoc of the Shire.

        With the thought of the halfling who had ridden so valiantly with her into battle, her heart gave a tug. That one had shown strength and dedication to her Lord the like of which she had not before seen. He had faced a creature that had sent men twice his height to their knees in terror. Perhaps he had been frightened but he had not let the fear drive him to madness like so many around them.

        Éowyn struggled to a sitting position, trying not to move the broken arm overly much. Merry deserved gratitude beyond words; if not for him her King would have most likely gone unavenged and she would have perished in the assault. All she had heard up until now was that he, too, had fallen under the Shadow but was again conscious to the world around him thanks to the High King. She had to speak to him, in person, he must know what place he had made in her heart.

        She got up and began to clumsily pull on a white linen dress that had been left for her use. She had made it to the door and was about to make her exit when it swung open. “Éowyn, sister, what are you doing out of bed?” cried Éomer in shock and concern. “You are not yet well enough to be abroad.”

        “I am well enough, not more then a broken arm, and bones mend.” replied Éowyn as she was led back to bed. “For the business which I wish to conduct a broken arm will not make a difference.”

        Éomer sighed, wishing his beloved sister would stay abed and give herself time to mend fully. “What business is it you wished to conduct?”

        Éowyn directed her cool gaze at the man before her. “I wished to speak to Meriadoc.”

        “If that be it, sister, I will gladly take any message to him myself.” said Éomer. “He, like yourself, is still commanded abed.”

        “You do not understand,” replied Éowyn. “Merry has done more for me then I can express through words, the least I can do is go to him! I do not know how to return what he has done for me.”

        The room fell silent, as Éomer contemplated his sister’s words. He did not doubt that without Merry he would not now be arguing with his sister. The hobbit had won the heart of his King, and his sister, who did not lightly let others enter her heart.

        “He deserves honor, Éomer, he has done what no man dared.” Said Éowyn, trying to make him see what she knew. “Merry is more valiant then any Knight I have yet to meet, and a heart of purer purpose can none find. Bestow on him a Knighthood of Rohan, Éomer! It is the only way to come close to repaying his valor!”

        Éomer considered for a moment; it would surely be something his Uncle would have approved of, Merry was certainly worthy of it. As Éowyn had said, he had done what no man dared. “After our return from the Black Gate, I will honor your wish.”

        “No, Éomer! It must be now, you may not return from that ride, none may return, this world may yet be lost to darkness.” said Éowyn adamantly. “I would have him understand his worth now.”

        Éomer found himself a few minutes later, against his better judgement, helping to lead his sister down the hall to the halfling’s room. After he had decided that Éowyn was correct he had tried to persuade her to stay in her rooms, suggesting that he could fetch another of the Rohirrim to witness Merry’s being knighted, but she had refused.

        After procuring some needed items Éomer, with his sister on his arm, knocked lightly on the door behind which soft voices could be heard. The door was easily opened and Éomer was a bit startled to be greeted by one of the Fair Folk. “Legolas,” he inclined his head. “Is Meriadoc awake and able to receive company?”

        Legolas smiled at them and stepped aside. The room was quite full with company already: Legolas closed the door behind them, Gimli the dwarf puffed on a pipe by the window, Gandalf leaned absently against the ailing hobbit’s bed, and stretched out next to Merry on the overly large bed was his companion, Peregrin. Merry still looked quite pale but it was obvious he had been eating and that laughter was beginning to chase away the shadows. He was dressed in what looked to be a child’s loose breeches and shirt.

        “I am sorry if we disturb you. Perhaps we should return another time.” suggested Éomer.

        “Nothing to disturb here but hobbit chatter.” replied Gandalf, scowling although his eyes twinkled with merriment.

        “Éowyn! Are you well then, m’lady?” inquired Merry, a light flush creeping up his cheeks.

        “Well enough, Merry. How fare you?” she asked sitting gratefully in the chair that Legolas moved over for her.

        “I am well. I must say I don’t see the reason of being forced to stay in bed.” replied Merry casting a long-suffering look at the wizard.

        Gandalf chose to ignore Merry’s glance and looked to Éowyn, his sharp eyes taking in pale features and trembling limbs. “What brings you to these chambers, Lady Éowyn, for I doubt your brother is just allowing you to stroll about Minas Tirith’s Healing Chambers.”

        A kettle that was suspended over a great fire began to whistle and Peregrin rolled off the bed landing lightly on his feet. He attempted to straighten the rumpled uniform of the Guard before offering both Éowyn and Éomer a cup of tea. They both accepted before there was an answer for the wizard’s question.

        “You are correct Gandalf,” began Éomer. “I do not idly let my sister wander these halls. It has been decided at the request of Lady Éowyn, Shield maiden of Rohan, that Meriadoc of the Shire should have a Knighthood bestowed upon him.”

        Gimli tamped out his pipe, Legolas smiled brightly at Merry, Gandalf laid a hand on his shoulder and Pippin’s green eyes darted first to Merry then Éomer and back again.

        Merry shook his head slightly as though not sure of what he had just heard. “My lord, I-I do not believe such an honor is fitting.”

        Éowyn quickly set aside her cup and moved to kneel next to Merry’s bed grasping both of his hands with her one good one. “Merry, your bravery and fortitude against such an enemy as you and I faced was a great thing. So great that I do not believe even a Knighthood can do you the honor you deserve. You saved my life, and you proved your loyalty to King and country by defending King Theoden in his last moments in this land.”

        “It is all too great for-“Merry was now a bright shade of red and was shaking his head. “I only did what I should have, after breaking his direct orders the least I could do was try and watch out for you.”

        “Merry, such a noble spirit you possess, you are humble and meek. You are dutiful and mean well to all you come in contact with - you are exactly the kind of Knight Rohan can be proud of.” Éowyn pressed his hands a little tighter and tears glistened in her proud eyes.

        Merry took a deep breath and looked down at his hands, trying to stem the flow of emotion. He had not spoken seriously of what had happened on the Pelennor and he had tried not to think about Theoden King’s last moments. He finally let out his breath and looked up at Éomer. “My Lord, I’m afraid I do not have a sword to offer you.”

        Éomer moved forward. “I know to what cause you lost your weapon, Meriadoc.” He pulled a sword that he had carried in with him out from beneath his cloak. It was smaller than most, which was perfect for a hobbit to carry. He turned it and presented it hilt first to Meriadoc.

        Merry hesitantly accepted the blade. Gandalf reached forward and helped him off the tall bed. He looked up at Éomer with respect and admiration, sparkling eyes tempered with wisdom and grief and handed the blade back to Éomer.

        “Kneel Meriadoc, son of Saradoc,” said Éomer solemnly. A bit stiffly Merry complied. “Meriadoc, through great deeds to king and country have you earned a Knighthood of Rohan. Do you swear an oath to continue to protect Rohan’s lands and people in times of war or peace until death may release you from it?”

        “I do.” Said Merry quietly.

        “I pronounce you Knight of Rohan,” Éomer tapped each of Merry’s shoulders with the blade and then moved back. “Rise Sir Meriadoc.”

        Merry rose, his blush contrasting vividly with his still pale face, as Éomer gave him back the newly acquired blade. Legolas and Gimli shared a proud smile and even Gandalf’s beard could not hide the wide smile on his own face. Pippin’s light laughter broke through Merry’s still shy demeanor and he too smiled.

        Éowyn rose and knelt in front of Merry speaking softly so that only he could hear, except for perhaps Legolas. “Merry, this is but a small fraction of the debt I owe you.” She said. “What you have done cannot be measured in words or even deeds.”

        “Ah, but lady, you owe me no debt.” said Merry, also quietly. “If not for your bravery I fear the battle would have gone even worse and I would not be here today. Perhaps others would not be here as well.” His eyes darted to the side to where Peregrin was quietly strapping his own sword on and making ready to attend to Faramir, a duty he had taken upon himself, to serve Faramir even if he had not been sworn to him.

        Éowyn smiled softly, an expression that was too often absent from her fair features.

        “Besides, friends do not accumulate debt.” He met her gaze shyly.

        Éowyn’s smile widened. “No, I don’t suppose they do.” She bent forward and kissed the top of Merry’s head then rose. Éomer offered her his arm, and as he escorted her from the room she turned to smile once more Meriadoc, Knight of Rohan. Title: Knights of the City and the Mark





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List