Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Bilbo's Gifts  by Llinos

Bilbo's Gifts – Merry

by Llinos
beta Marigold

11th May 1385

"Um… Saradoc, can I have a word with you?" Bilbo trotted slightly faster along the corridor of Brandy Hall to catch up.

"Is it about Meriadoc?" Saradoc turned with a glare that spoke volumes, "what's he done now?"

"Oh… er nothing important really," Bilbo was taken aback at Saradoc's immediate assumption that the subject was his son and his annoyance that Merry had obviously done something bad. "I'll just have a quiet word with his mother."

"What's he given you?" It was quite apparent that this was not the first grievance Saradoc had dealt with that day, and it was only 9 o'clock. "Don't worry about getting him into trouble, just because he's three today. He's already in enough deep water that he shouldn't need another bath until his next birthday!"

Bilbo blanched, wondering just how many of Brandy Hall's treasures and artefacts, not to mention the occupants' personal possessions, little Merry had already managed to distribute. Bilbo's own bequest had arrived at 5 a.m., so the child had had plenty of time to expand his well-meaning, if slightly misguided, philanthropy to the other hundred or so guests assembled to celebrate his third birthday.

 

                                                                    *****

"Unkla Bilbo! Unkla Bilbo! The insistent childish voice was accompanied by a sharp rapping on the door; followed by the door opening and then a sharp rapping on Bilbo's head.

"Good Grief! What time is it?" Bilbo reached for his pocketwatch only to realize it was not yet light enough to even see the hands on the face. Merry had stopped his rapping and waited impatiently while Bilbo fumbled for matches and lit the oil lamp. "Merry?" Bilbo squinted in the new light, "what are you doing up and why are you hitting me on the head with that stick?"

"It's my birfday present just for giving you!" Merry announced proudly, "'cause you like to walk a long and long way and in case your feets get tyr-red!"

The silver-topped walking cane was dropped onto Bilbo's unsuspecting feet and, without waiting for so much as a 'thank you', Merry ran for the door. Bilbo, in fairness for the hour of the day, recovered quickly and hurried after his small relative.

Merry was already far along the corridor, struggling tenaciously with several umbrellas, a golf club and a small engraved sword that Bilbo recognised as usually hanging over the fireplace in the main hall. Around his neck were various necklaces, some glistening gold and mithril and several strings of pearls and on his head was his Grandfather Rory's best silk hat. A potted plant lay abandoned in the middle of the hallway, apparently too much for the little hobbit at the moment but, no doubt, to be reclaimed later on.

Merry had obviously been very busy.

*****
"I wasn't going to say anything," Bilbo held out the silver-topped walking cane to Saradoc, "I thought I'd just put it back in the umbrella stand. It's Rory's if I'm not mistaken. It's just that he did seem to be carting a lot of other things around, although I suppose you know that by now."

"I do," Saradoc grimaced, "he's got the idea into his head that it's all right to give away the entire contents of Brandy Hall, just because it's his birthday."

Bilbo chuckled, "I presume you've explained it to him by now?"

"Several times," Saradoc was getting undeniably red around his collar, "but his Grandfather seems to think it is amusing and his Mother says I'm making a fuss and to leave the lad alone! I ask you Bilbo, how can I instil any discipline into my spoilt son, when I'm constantly undermined?"

"Hmm, I see," Bilbo was well aware that Rorimac 'Goldfather' Brandybuck was inordinately proud of the fact that his line was now well established, with two sons, an heir and a spare, and now, two fine grandsons, 5 year-old Berilac and especially 3 year-old Meriadoc. The heritage of the Master of Buckland was virtually guaranteed for the next two generations.

It was also hard to ignore that Old Rory, had developed a tendency to gloat over the fact that his son's brother-in-law, Paladin had still only managed three daughters. All hopes of the Thainship staying in the Took family were starting to fade when Eglantine had produced yet another female that year.

True, Isembold had many descendants – but all female and Isembard had long since removed his family to Long Cleeve so it was more likely that, should Ferumbas III remain unmarried, and Paladin become Thain, the line of succession would logically, although unprecedented, continue to the distaff side, with Esmeralda (née Took) Brandybuck's male heirs, next in line.

All of which meant that, as things stood, little Meriadoc Brandybuck could well end up as, not only Master of Buckland, but Thain of the Shire, as well! As a result, Rorimac indulged the lad to the point of ludicrousness.

"But Merry isn't a bad little lad," Bilbo continued. "It was a generous act and he seems to have been most industrious and thoughtful in his gift choices. I'm sure everyone, once they realize the mistake, will give everything back."

"Oh yes!" Saradoc snorted, "Like they did when you were declared dead and ended up having to buy most of your things back – at least you had that dragon's hoard to pay for it!"

"That's true," Bilbo agreed, deciding now was not the time to refute the rumours of his inexhaustible wealth. "But how did he manage to help himself to all those things? Where was his nurse?"

"Ah! That's the other thing." Saradoc growled, "His Grandfather decided that as he has reached the grand old age of three, he can leave the night nursery and has been given his own room! Not just any old room, of course! One of the best, windowed, newly whitewashed, double family rooms – for a 3 year-old – I ask you!"

"Didn't you object?" Bilbo sensed that if he pushed the questioning much further, he could end up in the middle of a Brandybuck family row; but his curiosity was too provoked now for discretion to prevail.

"Of course I did!" Saradoc looked ready to burst, "but my Father just had all the lad's two hundred weight of toys, books and clothes moved in there and, last night, presented it to my son without even telling me! Well, things have gone too far now. If Meriadoc is old enough to have his own room, dispense with his nurse and consider himself Master of Brandy Hall, then the new little Master is also going to discover he is old enough for a spanking!"

Bilbo, after a moment's thought, decided to follow the enraged Saradoc as he stormed off in search of his erring but well-intentioned son. The older hobbit was starting to feel sorry for the lad, caught as he was between an over-indulgent grandfather and a disciplinarian father. It was not really Merry's fault – or his quarrel. This should be between Saradoc and his father, but it looked like little Merry was going to bear the brunt of a festering disagreement between his elders.

*****

"Meriadoc!" The main dining room of Brandy Hall echoed the name ominously as Saradoc finally traced his wayward child.

Merry froze and almost wet himself in terror but, fortunately, his 3 year-old brain gave his bladder a stern talking-to, reminding it that he no longer had a nurse to deal with such accidents and that he was a very big boy now! Grandpapa had said so!

Slightly cross-legged, Merry looked guiltily up at his father, wondering what he had done to incur such wrath. "Didn't do it Daddy, didn't!" Merry had learnt, almost as soon as he could talk, that an early denial often worked wonders, regardless of the crime.

"I can see that you did! Again!" Saradoc snatched a rolled-up shawl from his son and out fell an assortment of battered roses, some pulled up by their roots, others with only their heads remaining, while a hundred detached petals scattered over the floor. "These are your Grandmother's prize roses! Merry you know you're not allowed to pick flowers from your Grandmama's garden!"

"Didn't hurt me much!" Merry explained, "Look!" He held up his hands to reveal three large scratches on one hand and two on the other. A small rivulet of blood ran down his wrist. "didn't even cry – only a little bit!"

"Oh Meriadoc, my sweeting!" Esmeralda hurried into the large, wood-panelled room. The long table was already set for the grand birthday tea in honour of the Heir Apparent (once removed) of Brandy Hall and Heir Presumptive of the Shire, whose Mummy was now enfolding him with protective arms and kissing his popors. "Let Mummy see your poor widdle handies!"

"Never mind about his poor handies!" Saradoc roared. "Look at what he's done to Mother's roses!"

"They is for you Mummy, gotted them all by myselfs!" Merry gave a wounded sniff. "And for Daddy, but now he's cross and cross! They was for you, for my birfday! Grandpapa sayed!"

"Did he indeed?" Saradoc snatched his Heir Apparent up under his arm. "Well we'll see what a spanking has to say about it!"

"Saradoc Brandybuck!" Esmeralda flung herself across his path, barring the way with outstretched arms. "Don't you dare! It's his birthday and even you may not chastise a ribadyan!* "

"Step aside wife! I've had enough…"

"You put him down at once! Saradoc! No…"

The pair were shouting above the sound of Merry who had set up a loud wailing and was battering his fists against his father's side, "put down! Daddy no… no… no spank! Bad Daddy! No! No! No!"

"What in Zaragamba's name is all this stupid fuss and commotion about?" Bilbo, who had crept surreptitiously into the room and was about to speak up in Merry's defence, jumped out of his skin when Old Rory appeared just by his left elbow. "Stop this racket! This should be a happy day, a day to celebrate!"

"And so it would be, if you would stop filling my son's head with nonsense!" Saradoc turned his attention to his father, "Ever since you gave him that blasted room, he's been running riot all over the Hall…"

"He's just high spirited because it's his birthday!" Esmeralda said, tugging at Saradoc's arm in an attempt to get him to release her baby.

"He's a Brandybuck!" Rory slapped his son exuberantly on the back, almost allowing Esmeralda to retrieve Merry. "What do you expect?"

"I don't expect him to give away half the contents of Brandy Hall without even asking!"

"Ho! That's just shows his enterprising nature." Undisguised pride gleamed in Rory's eyes. "A chip off the old block!"

"Nor do I expect him to tear up his grandmother's flowerbed, nor take Cook's best rolling pin and present it to the scullery maid, nor announce to Toby, the stable lad, that my best mare is his… and… and look at this… he gave this to Frodo Baggins if you please!"

Saradoc finally released the squalling Merry in order to reach into his own waistcoat pocket and pull out a large piece of paper. He handed it to his father with a theatrical flourish. It was a cheque, torn raggedly from his father's special accounts book, filled in with the legend….

                                    Pay Bearer....
tu my fro...
fyf fowsand pownds...
£50000000000000000000000
signed.... merrry bradybuk

"Hmm…" Rory perused the document carefully, "I see his writing is definitely coming on, spelling still a bit wobbly though, eh Merry?"

Merry, suddenly finding himself on his feet again and free; ran and stood behind his grandfather. "Did it with a big quill Grandpapa!" Merry announced proudly, "only did fowr blots – and only one on me!"

"Let me see," Rory ignored his still fuming son and examined Merry's proffered hand. "You've got a lot of scratches on there Meriadoc… oh I see, and there's the ink. Well never mind. Now about today…" Rory held up his hand to silence Saradoc. "What have you been getting up to? Because I think Daddy might be a little upset and doesn't understand."

"Well…" Merry took a big breath, " Unkla Bilbo, he told me all of the Rules for birfday and today is my birfday so I wanted to do all of it…"

Merry paused for another breath as Rory and Saradoc turned to Bilbo, until now a silent witness, "Yes, I did give Merry a few details of byrding* Rules. But no more than a brief outline, such as I thought he would need."

This established, Merry continued "and I didunt want to be late to give all the things to everybodys so I hurried and got all the things quickly and gived them out."

"But Merry," Saradoc said, a little more gently this time. "I told you earlier, those things aren't yours to give."

"I know what you sayed!" Merry crossed his arms in obvious exasperation, "so I went and asked Grandpapa again, 'cause you sayed…" Merry turned to Rory, "you sayed when I wuz little you tolded me when I wuz big all of this would be mine…"

"I did!" Rory agreed. "When you're big."

"Well," Merry sighed having finally managed to explain his motives to these rather confusing grown-ups, "I'm big now – I'm three! Everyone says I'm big now! Cook sayed it, Mummy sayed it, you sayed it Grandpapa – so it must be true! So I can gived the things all to everyone if they's mine!"

*****

It took quite a lot of gentle explaining on the part of Old Rory and Bilbo, together with several threats of a spanking from Saradoc, before Merry understood that, while he would eventually inherit all of Brandy Hall, that particular day was still quite a long way off.

Saradoc also promised, much to Esmeralda's dismay and in spite of Rory's protests, that one more piece of damage, embarrassment or wanton vandalism today, would result in a sound spanking, birthday or not, and his summary exclusion from his own party! He then strode away, with a grim face, to reclaim any overly extravagant gifts and apologise for his son's misplaced philanthropy.

Eventually Merry set off, hand in hand with Rory; firstly to apologise to Grandmama Gilda for her roses and secondly to gather some lady-smocks and bluebells from the lower pasture to give to his parents.

"You see Merry," Bilbo carried the explanation on, "the best present a faunt can give to his parents is a posy of new flowers from the meadow – that, or something you make yourself. Such as a picture you've drawn, or a little pastry you've baked."

"With help, of course," Rory added hastily. He was very proud of his grandson's determination to handle things on his own, but was beginning to realise that it had its drawbacks.

"Going to pick all the flowers there is!" Merry declared happily. "Is going to be biggest posy ever, bigger than the old Willow tree! Big 'nuff to give to all the peoples at my party!"

"No! No! Merry," Rory laughed at this stirring ambition. "Just enough for Mummy and Daddy and some for Grandmama Gilda. There are plenty of little presents all wrapped up to give to the party guests."

"What about Fro?" Merry insisted, "He got to have somethings extra nice!"

"Is that why you wrote him that enormous cheque?" Bilbo chuckled. He knew very well that Frodo would have thought it a fine joke, which was why he had given it straight back to Saradoc.

"Yes, he gets sad, 'cause of no Mummy and Daddy and he's werry, werry kind to me – all the time and he gaved me his hoop, all for my werry own!"

"Well," suggested Bilbo, "you could paint him a nice picture."

 

*****

"Unkla Bilbo! Unkla Bilbo!" Merry's insistent voice and door rapping woke the elderly hobbit from his post-prandial nap. "Come and see what I done!"

Bilbo sighed and dragged himself up from the comfortable armchair and opened the door. The cause of the morning's mayhem was standing there with a large grin on his face together with large sploges of blue, green and yellow paint, which also covered his hands, arms, hair and clothes. "Merry, now what have you been up to?"

"Did a painting for my Fro – come and see?" Merry did not wait for Bilbo's acceptance but trotted off along the corridor to his new bedroom.

"Well," Bilbo chortled to himself, as he followed his enthusiastic little cousin, "even if he's made a mess of himself, it's nothing a good bath won't cure – and at least he's getting the right idea now."

"Oh My Good Groats!" As Bilbo entered Merry's newly decorated bedroom he had to grab hold of the tallboy to steady himself.

"Is it good?" Merry enquired hopefully, "You think Fro will like it? Did some bits wrong and started again, but it's all finished now."

"Merry! I… I… I'm lost for words!" Bilbo's mouth was hanging open. After the mornings' mayhem and consequent lectures and threats of punishment, the old hobbit was dumfounded. And the worst of it was, he suspected he may have even been the cause.

Merry's pristine new bedroom was no longer pristine. The floor, furniture and walls were covered in large splats of paint. On the far wall, which that morning had been sparkling white, was a strange (well several strange but most of them crossed out) drawing of a stick hobbit. In one hand he held what had to be a hoop and in the other a stick to drive it with. His hair was distinctively long and curly and unmistakable were the two enormous blue blobs that represented the subject's eyes. Beneath the portrait, lovingly inscribed in spidery black paint, was the legend:-

                                                                                to my fro!!!

"Only trubble is…" Merry continued, oblivious of Bilbo's distress, "Don't know how to give it to Fro, 'cause it stucked on the wall now and can't taked it to he."

"Merry, Merry," Bilbo knelt down and beckoned the little one to come to him, "listen my child… this is not good."

"Don't you like it?" Merry's eyes started to fill up and a fat tear left a white trail through the paintwork on his face. "Tried my everso best!"

"Good lads don't paint on the walls – you must know that." Bilbo put a finger on the trembling lips. "Where did you get all this paint anyway?"

"In that corner," Merry pointed to a dustsheet that now lay strewn across the floor. Obviously the decorators had been pushed for time and left their equipment behind after finishing the job. "I fourt it was for me to paint with and you sayed…"

"Yes… I know, I know." Bilbo was beginning to realize that this particular faunt not only took everything very literally but was extremely enterprising and resourceful, to say nothing of determined. "But Merry, this is just damage… you know, the kind your Daddy said you weren't to do any more!"

"But Granpapa s-sayed it was my r-room and could do wh-what I wanted in h-here!" Merry stuttered through his tears. "I fourt it would be all right!"

"No Merry," Bilbo stroked the curly head gently, "you have to understand, when someone gives you something, you have to look after it, take care of it. Do you think your Grandpapa will be pleased when he sees what you've done?

"N-no." Merry was at last starting to see the mess through a slightly more adult eye. "Do you fink Daddy will spank me? And not let me in my party?"

"Well now," Bilbo produced a large handkerchief, "I think it was just a misunderstanding. Now dry those eyes, don't you know it's bad luck to cry on your birthday. Let's see what we can do about this. Do you know who the hobbits were who did the decorating?"

"No." Merry sniffed then blew. "It were a sur-sprise from Grandpapa."

"Do you think Frodo will know?"

Merry nodded, "Yes, Fro knows everything!"

"We'll go and find Frodo then," Bilbo announced. "Then he can find the hobbits and get them to paint the room again and nobody need ever know. It'll be our little secret, yours, mine and Frodo's."

"But… but…" Merry rubbed at his swollen eyes, "Unkla Bilbo, what 'bout Fro's picture? It will be all gone and he won't have it… and I did so want him to have something nice."

"Ah now then!" Bilbo straightened up, "I may even have the answer to that. Did you unwrap the present I gave you last night?"

Merry nodded, "did."

"Did you know what it was?"

Merry shook his head in dismay, "some bits of wood but Fro said he'd show me how to make it work later."

"Did he indeed!" Bilbo chuckled. "Well I'll show you now! Go and fetch it."

Merry dug around in his pile of presents and produced the strange sticks that were hinged together at various angles.

"That's it!" Bilbo held it up to the painting, "Just about right. Now fetch me some paper – you do have paper?"

"Yes Unkla,"

Bilbo sighed. Merry indeed had just about everything a young hobbit could possibly wish for and then a lot more besides, which was really a large part of the problem. But perhaps what he really needed was a little care and attention.

"What is it Unkla Bilbo?"

"What this?" Bilbo chuckled, "Oh this is real dwarven magic! Just watch." And skilfully Bilbo set the apparatus up and guided it along the outline of Merry's wall art, transferring the image onto the paper. "But it's called a pantograph!"

*****

Bilbo was as good as his word. Frodo quickly found the hobbits who had done the decorating, large amounts of coin changed hands, the quantity ensuring speed and secrecy and, after a flurry of paint and turpentine and a good airing, Merry's room was soon as good as new.

Merry, the apple of both his Grandfather's and his Father's eye now, presided at his very first birthday feast, handing out the little gifts as the party guests took their places.

Finally the guest Merry was waiting for most arrived at the dining room door. "Fro! I got a werry spechul present for you!" Merry abandoned his position by the neatly stacked pile of wrapped gifts, which were being organised by two attentive maiden aunts, to rummage around in his satchel. He finally produced a slightly grubby, but large piece of paper and handed it solemnly to his older cousin.

"Oh Merry dear," Frodo beamed. It was indeed a special compliment to receive a hand-made gift from the treasured faunt that everyone made such a fuss of. "It's beautiful! Is that me?"

"Yes!" Merry said proudly. "I did it my own self! Only…" and he lowered his voice, drawing Frodo's head down so that he could whisper in his ear, "…it's magnick too! It's got Unkla Bilbo magnick in it!"

Frodo grinned from ear to ear. "That's the best kind!"

~TBC~

*"A person celebrating his/her birthday was called a ribadyan."

"With regard to presents: on his birthday the 'byrding' both gave and received presents." from "The Letters of J R R Tolkien" Letter 214 to A. C. Nunn.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List